Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Palms and Cycads: My little Palm seedling collection

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 6, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9129653

Hello,

Just wanted to post a photo of part of my little Palm seedling collection. I know some of you hard core collectors in more tropical climates may think of it as funny, but I thought I would go ahead a post anyway. I'd have to go out and make a list of the various ones.

In edition I also have a question. I have some palm seeds left over from last year. Does anyone know if these might still be viable?

Thumbnail by Dean_W
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 19, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9129787

I see a banana on the left. Of the others, looks like Caryota (maybe mitis?) centre bottom. Centre looks like Bismarkia nobilis. The other lower ones look like Archontophoenix (maybe cunninghamia?). Top right corner I'm not sure. It can be difficult when they're that small. But yours do look quite healthy.

Palm seed viability is quite variable. Some need to be very fresh, and some can last a very long time and still be viable. It's always worth a try anyway. I put them in ziplock bags (plastic bags) with sphagnum moss or peat and leave them in a very warm place. Then just check every now and then to make sure they're moist enough. Germination can take over a year with some species, others can be quite rapid. Good luck with them.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9129816

I had some Jubaea seed germinate 3 years after I picked it up off the ground. YOu never know sometimes.. sometimes Acrocomia seed can take over 5 years to germinate.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9129819

Thanks for the reply. Yes that a banana on the left.

Okay I'll go ahead and plant the seeds.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9129820

[quote="palmbob"]I had some Jubaea seed germinate 3 years after I picked it up off the ground. YOu never know sometimes.. sometimes Acrocomia seed can take over 5 years to germinate.[/quote]

Thanks palmbob. I'll give it a go then.
Petey12
Kerrville, TX

May 19, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9525712

Hello Dean,
I live south & west of you, in the Hill Country. So, we have to make adjustments for our climate.
Your seedlings, compared to my single column sprouts, look BIG (and healthy). I just developed this interest in March, so am not very far along.
I have been posting my efforts on the 'Bismarkia Woydeytia' thread.
Looks like a good start for you.
Denis
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9565682

Thanks Denis!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America