-
AuthorContent
pjadams49417
Grand Haven, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9129962

I have a large patch of Tarragon that is healthy and spreading but tastes only mildly of anise. I want that tongue numbing Tarragon taste! LOL! I just bought a small pot of Artimesia Dracunculus, and I need to know if this is the right one for me needs. Or is the strong bite from the plants location or soil? Thanks!

ETA: I DO use he bland stuff in hot tea where the anise flavor is nice.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9130119

Pjadams ~ sorry to say, I can't keep tarragon alive thru our summers so I don't know the answer to your question.

I do have one question for you though... when you sampled your plant, had it rained or had you recently watered? I find most herbs are more subdued in taste when they are holding more moisture in the leaves/stems.

Just a thought and hoping you find you answer ~ Kristi
pjadams49417
Grand Haven, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9132871

I've tried it many times and never had any taste but that slightly grassy anise taste.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9132893

Sorry I am of no help. I've always loved the anise flavor of the tarragon plants I've had... up until I kill them that is.
l6blue
Coon Rapids, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 22, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9133251

My tarragon does well, and has a nice anise taste. I have noticed, though, that the time of day I pick it makes a huge difference, as well as the time of season. I get the strongest tarragon flavor picking in the morning. You also get the strongest flavor after it sets buds, but before it flowers. That, combined with a sunny spot and soil that isn't too rich, will give you the flavor you're looking for. Good luck.
pjadams49417
Grand Haven, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9145147

Thank you! :-)

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9236805

podster...have you ever tried planting Texas Tarragon?...it likes the heat. Looks like a marigold when it blossoms. It'l grow there and has anise smell in the leaves.

http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-texas-tarragon/
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9237315

Yes, I have... both plants & started from seed. It is a close second to true French tarragon.

I had to chuckle when you asked me if I had tried planting Texas tarragon. Most folks get bent out of shape when I called it Texas tarragon. How arrogant I am told ~ after all it is Mexican mint marigold. 8 )) Kristi

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9237924

Texas is the only state in the USA that accepts and posts information in two languages- and sometimes several others, but - in all honesty, Texas tarragon has another name than Mexican mint marigold! A rose by any name, is still a rose. Like I tell em when I come home to Texas - welcome to Texas. We do things our way any bloody time we feel like it! And it feels GOOD to be home!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9238554

Home again? Good for you. Hope you find things well in the herbal garden. Kristi

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9240224

Am Goin to time nex trip home in time for roundup in Hempstead, we'll see if I make it, chuckl, I got to clear out the grass that doesn't grow til you have a garden happy, and eat some slicing cukes that made me miss them now I am gone, am in Tennesse taking a breather- and waiting for power to come back on- it had to go off after storms were gone and sun is back out, but. This is August and I am extremely comfortable temp wise. So much for untangling my laptop tho, hehehe!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America