Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

After the Swap

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I would like to thank everyone that attended the swap. What a wonderful day we had. You have all been so generous with plants, food and such lovely gifts. I don't think Ric and I will have to cook for a week we will be feasting on delicious leftovers. We have received so many beautiful plants and our gardens will be more lovely because of your generosity.
This thread is for posting pictures from the swap, asking questions about your plants and trades and whatever after swap chatting you would like to do.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I did not take pictures. Thanks again for hosting! Thank you all who brought the yummy yummy, and all the great plants, and to those who took my plants, thank you for not making me haul them back home!
Holly, your (tall good looking young male, not that I notice such things) neighbor asked me for Liriope variegated- I gave him some and he can lots more another time. And thanks to your across the street neighbor who directed us on parking on the pad across from yours. And Courtney is a fun super nice girl! (Cmon Josh whatcha need an invitation??) Just kidding- the right time will happen.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We had such a great time. You are so right about Courtney she was such a wonderful help. Just a ball of energy. We all love her, they are a pretty good match.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was a slacker and didn't take photos either.. will have to download a few you guys post.. LOL

thank you Ric & Holly... for such a great day!!!... your gardens are always a joy to visit.. and couldn't get any better with such great company!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WHO gave me this plant--and what is it? Holly--was it you? I know I got it last minute...

I wrote the name on a little slip of paper and put it on top of the pot.
Dah! soaked wet--and not readable

Thanks--Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Good Morning everyone! It was so nice to get up to a truckload of plants "different" from the plants we brought. True definition of a plant swap!!! THANK YOU Holly and Ric for having us and sharing so many of your wonderful plants; your home and gardens are so nice. And, the weather could not have been better. It was really great to see everyone!! We said a silent prayer in memory of Chris (LadyG)...who was with us 3 years ago when we last met.... Sally thanks for the phlox from her garden, can't wait to get it established.

Harry took some pictures and some videos too. He probably won't get to them until late today, but asap I'll post them =)

ColeusLover, if you happen to read this post, I have a few plants for you and will give you a buzz later today. I'll be busy at church most of the day today, but feel free to stop by any time. It is in your box on the porch. Thanks for sharing your coleus cuttings. They all disappeared to a happy home I'm sure.

Happy Gardening,
Diana

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've already walked the yard looking for new homes for these lovelies. I made partial list of what I have, and a much more 'partial' list of where it will go. I neeed to make tags for all the new things right off the bat now before I forget...Thanks again!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm so glad you all could join us and enjoy the day of friends, food, and flowers. Ric

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ric, please give a special Thanks to the grillmeister of the day! I for one really appreciated his dedication to the day. Nice to meet neighbors from across the street, down the road, former neighbors and all the good folks you and Holly surround yourselves with.

And, thank you both for making my first plant swap so wonderful and helping both Wayne and I feel so comfortable at your home. As a hostess Holly you created just the right amount of "bones" to the day and the space that we sleepless newbies could relax and just enjoy finding our way betwixt people, plants and projects in process!

Our departure with just a wave and no 'goodbyes' is not to say we wanted to leave, but that we had to leave before both of us became so mellow that driving ourselves home became an impossibility! lol, we were so focused on getting there that nary a thought was given to returning!

Had just enough light to unloard the van last nite, and just enough sleep to deliver our papers this morning.
Plants are watered, sorted, stuck in pots and resting in the shade of our big old oak. If I had a hammock there I'd be resting with them. Instead I'll take a nap and wake up to more formally introduce them to my gardens and all of the preswap plants already here. Wow, better than 'visions of sugarplums' to dream on thanks to you all!

I'm feeling mighty blessed (and well fed, too!

Judy (coleup) and Wayne

Crozet, VA

Awww......got the warm fuzzies reading Coleups thoughts on her first swap. I too remember feeling as though I had just been introduced to some of the worlds greatest folks some years back when attending my first swap at Hart's home. So good to see that so many must have felt the same way as myself and have returned to so many of the swaps since that first one. Happy, so great to have you come out of hiding recently. You were always a vital member of the group, full of lots of knowledge and fun to chat with. It was great seeing you along with some others, Wind, that I hadn't seen for a while.

Our plants are all unpacked and placed in shady spots for the day. Will most likely spend time later today finding new homes for all the great plants we came home with. While I sit in front of the computer, John is lovingly tending to those who need water now. Fanstastic that he has grown to love the gardening idea as much as I love it. He does a great job of stepping in and doing things that I am unable to do. He is definitely a good right hand man to have around.

I cannot recall a bad thing about yesterday, and that is really saying a mouth full. Every time I recall any thing that went on during the day, it is with a smile on my face. Gosh, wish we could keep this good feeling alive for longer. It will be fun to hear from everyone and their take on the day.

I suppose this would the place for me to pose a question to the group. Did someone take home a pot of Blackberry Lilies from our table? When all was said and done, we were short the pot we had labeled for David and Pat. No biggie, and who ever got them, I hope you enjoy them. Hopefully it won't be too very long before we can get back together with David and Pat and give them another pot we have here. I know that things can often get crazy and mistakes about what belongs to who can happen, but I would bet my last dollar that we transported them to the swap, but couldn't find them when the time came to gift them.

Hoping that everyone will continue to feel the good feelings that always follow these get togethers. Enjoy your planting and potting efforts folks.....we will hopefully be doing this again come fall. Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, a great big thank you to Ric and Holly for being such great hosts. Fun was had by all.

Ruby

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I can second and third everyone's remembrances. As I read your posts, I say to myself, yep, right on, Amen to that, etc. Etc. And as I was a newbie also, I have a better grasp of what I can do better in the future. Oh, yes, there will be more swaps in my future. YIPPEE!!! And I am still uber excited even after the fact.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

First - Holly & Rick's house...don't know who the lovely young ladies belonged to - very sweet!!!

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

II Ruby and John - Pat

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:04 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

III Ruby, John

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:06 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

IV Gita, Sally

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:06 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

V Judy

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:07 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

VI

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

VII Jill, Chantell

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:08 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

VIII

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

IX

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

X

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

XI

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly and Ric, we arrived back in Md. about 2:30 this afternoon. We had a wonderful time and Holly, I'm in heaven with my burgundy peony from your yard. Thank You so Much for everything. I missed a tour of the GH. Your gardens are so pretty. Those clumps of Iris, standing so tall were magnificient. Loved all you've done in your yard, all the water gardens. Ruby and John, Thanks for my Hearts Afire daylily and the Iris. John told me something about the Iris you had for me, when He put them into my car..and I've forgot what he told me. I remember something about early blooming, but don't recall color or height or type. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Who was the wonderful grillmaster? That's a big job and everything always taste so good cooked out, especially hot dogs and chicken.

Who made th german potato salad? Yummy! There was also a seafood salad I had that was delicious too.

What a honor to meet Holly's parents; hope I am not on the black list beating her Dad out of the burgundy peony and Hope he didn't think I was rude telling him he could get some of his daughter's peonies anytime. Don't laugh but I asked permission to take my plants inside our hotel room with us..was not about to leave them in hot car all night. No problem, but this morning when I loaded the car back up, I got a luggage cart because the box John had put into my car was heavy....you know the hernia kind of heavy! I gave the plants a drink as soon as I got settled in hotel room, not to mentioned myself at dinner! Some bar tender needs to learn to make a better pina colada than I got from him!

We stopped by Weiss in Rutherford Hgts. and bought some beautiful fresh flowers and made a trip to cemetery to visit the in-law's gravesite and came on home. Saw where my husband's grandparents home/property may be up for sale. Need to call some relatives up there to see if it is the property beside of it or Grammy and Grandpa's house and lots beside of it. That was kind of a shocker. The couple that purchased it years ago has taken wonderful care of the property and made it into an adorable cottage home. That area has grown and developed so much since we were there 3 yrs. ago..

We had a wonderful day, the weather could not have been more perfect. I got home with a plant with no ID marker..I'm sorry I didn't remember the name of the person who gave it to me. It was a lady that had creeping jenny..and I was able to convince her to take a lot of mine..She and her husband were newbies to me.

Holly and Ric, I bet you were dead tired last night..and dragging today. I watered my plants as soon as I got home but they will have to wait till tomorrow or this week to be planted. Somebody in upstate NY is sending me Iris so I need to make room for them. She posted on ATP website, free iris in exchange for shipping cost. I have been thinking of having my prunning/mulching man to remove some more hydrangea bushes so I can make room for more plants on the side of the house. When I drove up in our driveway, I see that I have a bloom on my Patty's plum poppy plant and one of my rose campion plants is starting to peep open. I'm sure tomorrow or Tuesday, that will be in full bloom. More of my orange/red oriental poppies are in bloom, more larkspurs, and more rocket snapdragons. There's going to be a lot of transplanting to do in the fall.

Holly, your directions from Rt. 15(Dillsburg) were perfect. We left with Lloyd driving from your house and he asked On-Star to get us to I-83 North..that really is closer. The next time we will know.. I loved roaming through the countryside though the way you gave us directions. beautiful country.

Well, I know everybody had a wonderful time and will look forward to another swap next Spring..Is there a Fall swap planned?

Do we have a final count of people who attended the swap?

Jill, you were a sweetheart as usual, helping me and others unload and set up. It was fun to meet some newbies that I had not met before. I

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

XII

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, running out of my knowledge of Roman numerals & too tired to look 'em up...

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

More...

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Slow uploading going on...:)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Yup, still have some left

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

And even more :-)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Had to get the chickens :)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I'd venture to say there were 'some' flowers...

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Flowers...

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Awesome irises :)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Love that frog :)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I've always had massive shed envy!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Can we ID some of the persons in the photographs. I know who some of them are but can't ID some of the newbies. I know the couple in last photo..gave me two Lady in red salvia seedlings which I look forward to planting tomorrow, after I look up it's needs..I think they probably need full sun?

Gita, did you bring along your new camera? How do you like it so far? Guess I'll have to get my 13 yr. old granddaughter here to show me how to work mine. It's a Canon powershot 560 but I have never liked it (It was a xmas gift about 8 yrs. ago)Am thinking about buying a new one that's more simple to use and takes good pictures. They need to invent digitals for people that wear and need glasses to see to take the photographs! Maybe after I have my cateract surgery, the eyes will be better. It would be wonderful not having to wear glasses but somehow I don't see that happening.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I just love their property!!

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Holly - can I borrow Rik for a week?

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

DG is not cooperating on the photo upload...

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

That would be RiCk I need to borrow...:)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.