-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9129998

Ric and I would like to thank everyone that attended the swap. What a wonderful day we had. You have all been so generous with plants, food and such lovely gifts. I don't think Ric and I will have to cook for a week we will be feasting on delicious leftovers. We have received so many beautiful plants and our gardens will be more lovely because of your generosity.
This thread is for posting pictures from the swap, asking questions about your plants and trades and whatever after swap chatting you would like to do.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9130026

I did not take pictures. Thanks again for hosting! Thank you all who brought the yummy yummy, and all the great plants, and to those who took my plants, thank you for not making me haul them back home!
Holly, your (tall good looking young male, not that I notice such things) neighbor asked me for Liriope variegated- I gave him some and he can lots more another time. And thanks to your across the street neighbor who directed us on parking on the pad across from yours. And Courtney is a fun super nice girl! (Cmon Josh whatcha need an invitation??) Just kidding- the right time will happen.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9130213

We had such a great time. You are so right about Courtney she was such a wonderful help. Just a ball of energy. We all love her, they are a pretty good match.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9130222

I was a slacker and didn't take photos either.. will have to download a few you guys post.. LOL

thank you Ric & Holly... for such a great day!!!... your gardens are always a joy to visit.. and couldn't get any better with such great company!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9130313

WHO gave me this plant--and what is it? Holly--was it you? I know I got it last minute...

I wrote the name on a little slip of paper and put it on top of the pot.
Dah! soaked wet--and not readable

Thanks--Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9130328

Good Morning everyone! It was so nice to get up to a truckload of plants "different" from the plants we brought. True definition of a plant swap!!! THANK YOU Holly and Ric for having us and sharing so many of your wonderful plants; your home and gardens are so nice. And, the weather could not have been better. It was really great to see everyone!! We said a silent prayer in memory of Chris (LadyG)...who was with us 3 years ago when we last met... Sally thanks for the phlox from her garden, can't wait to get it established.

Harry took some pictures and some videos too. He probably won't get to them until late today, but asap I'll post them =)

ColeusLover, if you happen to read this post, I have a few plants for you and will give you a buzz later today. I'll be busy at church most of the day today, but feel free to stop by any time. It is in your box on the porch. Thanks for sharing your coleus cuttings. They all disappeared to a happy home I'm sure.

Happy Gardening,
Diana

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9130352

I've already walked the yard looking for new homes for these lovelies. I made partial list of what I have, and a much more 'partial' list of where it will go. I neeed to make tags for all the new things right off the bat now before I forget...Thanks again!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9130364

I'm so glad you all could join us and enjoy the day of friends, food, and flowers. Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9130436

Ric, please give a special Thanks to the grillmeister of the day! I for one really appreciated his dedication to the day. Nice to meet neighbors from across the street, down the road, former neighbors and all the good folks you and Holly surround yourselves with.

And, thank you both for making my first plant swap so wonderful and helping both Wayne and I feel so comfortable at your home. As a hostess Holly you created just the right amount of "bones" to the day and the space that we sleepless newbies could relax and just enjoy finding our way betwixt people, plants and projects in process!

Our departure with just a wave and no 'goodbyes' is not to say we wanted to leave, but that we had to leave before both of us became so mellow that driving ourselves home became an impossibility! lol, we were so focused on getting there that nary a thought was given to returning!

Had just enough light to unloard the van last nite, and just enough sleep to deliver our papers this morning.
Plants are watered, sorted, stuck in pots and resting in the shade of our big old oak. If I had a hammock there I'd be resting with them. Instead I'll take a nap and wake up to more formally introduce them to my gardens and all of the preswap plants already here. Wow, better than 'visions of sugarplums' to dream on thanks to you all!

I'm feeling mighty blessed (and well fed, too!

Judy (coleup) and Wayne

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 20, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9130497

Awww...got the warm fuzzies reading Coleups thoughts on her first swap. I too remember feeling as though I had just been introduced to some of the worlds greatest folks some years back when attending my first swap at Hart's home. So good to see that so many must have felt the same way as myself and have returned to so many of the swaps since that first one. Happy, so great to have you come out of hiding recently. You were always a vital member of the group, full of lots of knowledge and fun to chat with. It was great seeing you along with some others, Wind, that I hadn't seen for a while.

Our plants are all unpacked and placed in shady spots for the day. Will most likely spend time later today finding new homes for all the great plants we came home with. While I sit in front of the computer, John is lovingly tending to those who need water now. Fanstastic that he has grown to love the gardening idea as much as I love it. He does a great job of stepping in and doing things that I am unable to do. He is definitely a good right hand man to have around.

I cannot recall a bad thing about yesterday, and that is really saying a mouth full. Every time I recall any thing that went on during the day, it is with a smile on my face. Gosh, wish we could keep this good feeling alive for longer. It will be fun to hear from everyone and their take on the day.

I suppose this would the place for me to pose a question to the group. Did someone take home a pot of Blackberry Lilies from our table? When all was said and done, we were short the pot we had labeled for David and Pat. No biggie, and who ever got them, I hope you enjoy them. Hopefully it won't be too very long before we can get back together with David and Pat and give them another pot we have here. I know that things can often get crazy and mistakes about what belongs to who can happen, but I would bet my last dollar that we transported them to the swap, but couldn't find them when the time came to gift them.

Hoping that everyone will continue to feel the good feelings that always follow these get togethers. Enjoy your planting and potting efforts folks...we will hopefully be doing this again come fall. Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, a great big thank you to Ric and Holly for being such great hosts. Fun was had by all.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9130673

I can second and third everyone's remembrances. As I read your posts, I say to myself, yep, right on, Amen to that, etc. Etc. And as I was a newbie also, I have a better grasp of what I can do better in the future. Oh, yes, there will be more swaps in my future. YIPPEE!!! And I am still uber excited even after the fact.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9130789

First - Holly & Rick's house...don't know who the lovely young ladies belonged to - very sweet!!!

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va   Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012

Post #9130790

II Ruby and John - Pat

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:04 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9130792

III Ruby, John

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:06 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9130795

IV Gita, Sally

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:06 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9130796

V Judy

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:07 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9130797

VI

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9130802

VII Jill, Chantell

This message was edited May 20, 2012 6:08 PM

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9130806

VIII

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9130807

IX

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9130808

X

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va   Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va   Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9130810

XI

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9130811

Holly and Ric, we arrived back in Md. about 2:30 this afternoon. We had a wonderful time and Holly, I'm in heaven with my burgundy peony from your yard. Thank You so Much for everything. I missed a tour of the GH. Your gardens are so pretty. Those clumps of Iris, standing so tall were magnificient. Loved all you've done in your yard, all the water gardens. Ruby and John, Thanks for my Hearts Afire daylily and the Iris. John told me something about the Iris you had for me, when He put them into my car..and I've forgot what he told me. I remember something about early blooming, but don't recall color or height or type. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Who was the wonderful grillmaster? That's a big job and everything always taste so good cooked out, especially hot dogs and chicken.

Who made th german potato salad? Yummy! There was also a seafood salad I had that was delicious too.

What a honor to meet Holly's parents; hope I am not on the black list beating her Dad out of the burgundy peony and Hope he didn't think I was rude telling him he could get some of his daughter's peonies anytime. Don't laugh but I asked permission to take my plants inside our hotel room with us..was not about to leave them in hot car all night. No problem, but this morning when I loaded the car back up, I got a luggage cart because the box John had put into my car was heavy...you know the hernia kind of heavy! I gave the plants a drink as soon as I got settled in hotel room, not to mentioned myself at dinner! Some bar tender needs to learn to make a better pina colada than I got from him!

We stopped by Weiss in Rutherford Hgts. and bought some beautiful fresh flowers and made a trip to cemetery to visit the in-law's gravesite and came on home. Saw where my husband's grandparents home/property may be up for sale. Need to call some relatives up there to see if it is the property beside of it or Grammy and Grandpa's house and lots beside of it. That was kind of a shocker. The couple that purchased it years ago has taken wonderful care of the property and made it into an adorable cottage home. That area has grown and developed so much since we were there 3 yrs. ago..

We had a wonderful day, the weather could not have been more perfect. I got home with a plant with no ID marker..I'm sorry I didn't remember the name of the person who gave it to me. It was a lady that had creeping jenny..and I was able to convince her to take a lot of mine..She and her husband were newbies to me.

Holly and Ric, I bet you were dead tired last night..and dragging today. I watered my plants as soon as I got home but they will have to wait till tomorrow or this week to be planted. Somebody in upstate NY is sending me Iris so I need to make room for them. She posted on ATP website, free iris in exchange for shipping cost. I have been thinking of having my prunning/mulching man to remove some more hydrangea bushes so I can make room for more plants on the side of the house. When I drove up in our driveway, I see that I have a bloom on my Patty's plum poppy plant and one of my rose campion plants is starting to peep open. I'm sure tomorrow or Tuesday, that will be in full bloom. More of my orange/red oriental poppies are in bloom, more larkspurs, and more rocket snapdragons. There's going to be a lot of transplanting to do in the fall.

Holly, your directions from Rt. 15(Dillsburg) were perfect. We left with Lloyd driving from your house and he asked On-Star to get us to I-83 North..that really is closer. The next time we will know.. I loved roaming through the countryside though the way you gave us directions. beautiful country.

Well, I know everybody had a wonderful time and will look forward to another swap next Spring..Is there a Fall swap planned?

Do we have a final count of people who attended the swap?

Jill, you were a sweetheart as usual, helping me and others unload and set up. It was fun to meet some newbies that I had not met before. I

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9130812

XII

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9130814

Ok, running out of my knowledge of Roman numerals & too tired to look 'em up...

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9130816

More...

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9130817

Slow uploading going on...:)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9130818

Yup, still have some left

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9130819

And even more :-)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9130821

Had to get the chickens :)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9130824

I'd venture to say there were 'some' flowers...

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9130825

Flowers...

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9130827

Awesome irises :)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9130828

Love that frog :)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9130830

I've always had massive shed envy!

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012

Post #9130831

Can we ID some of the persons in the photographs. I know who some of them are but can't ID some of the newbies. I know the couple in last photo..gave me two Lady in red salvia seedlings which I look forward to planting tomorrow, after I look up it's needs..I think they probably need full sun?

Gita, did you bring along your new camera? How do you like it so far? Guess I'll have to get my 13 yr. old granddaughter here to show me how to work mine. It's a Canon powershot 560 but I have never liked it (It was a xmas gift about 8 yrs. ago)Am thinking about buying a new one that's more simple to use and takes good pictures. They need to invent digitals for people that wear and need glasses to see to take the photographs! Maybe after I have my cateract surgery, the eyes will be better. It would be wonderful not having to wear glasses but somehow I don't see that happening.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9130834

I just love their property!!

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9130839

Holly - can I borrow Rik for a week?

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9130847

DG is not cooperating on the photo upload...

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9130848

That would be RiCk I need to borrow...:)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9130850

Now I'm able to do one at the time...:(

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9130852

Last ones :) the wheel barrow just about sums it up...so many plants :-)

This message was edited May 20, 2012 5:26 PM

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9130858

Bec -- I love your photos -- brings it all back.

Can we do another one next weekend?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9130866

You can have him, Becky after me. Heehee

I made the hot potato salad. Every time I make it it is a little different. I am in pic # V in the green visor.

Only got a few things planted, alas and slack, I get sidetracked when making room for things so easily. I did get a lot of things pulled out (goldenrod). Then I had to pick some peas. Also trying to plan in my head where things should go.

Oh, BTW, have I said I had a super-duper day??? I will probably say it again, too, so get used to it. Hahaha

Edited to add:
Thank you for a wonderful photo memory of the day

This message was edited May 20, 2012 4:35 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9130877

Bec---What a wonderful "Album" of DG'ers!!!

I had the same thought as pippi. ID'ing all the faces...

Whomever is good at doing this kind of a thing--maybe by editing and adding names--
PLEASE do so!
Maybe someone could do a "Journal" type of memoir. I do not know about all that--but somewhere one could
click on and have all these beautiful portraits with names attached---also--REAL names!
Hope someone will try to do that...

pippi--I brought my camera--but it was not charged any more...Did not think to charge it up before I came...;o(

Besides---I was not, really, in a mood to run around and take too many pictures. it was hot--and after all the
swapping and eating was done--I spent quite a bit of time cutting up the bamboo and loading rocks
into my car--with Ric's help. THANK YOU, Ric!!!!! They are all still in my car. have to decide where to put them...
Another chore for tomorrow...

Planted a couple of things today--but I had a long-ignored chore to do first.
Spray my Roses (preventative) and my Canadian Hemlocks (soft, white scale)--and one of my old, white Azaleas covered in the same.
I cut it back by 2/3'ds. Need to do the other one as well--not that it is infested--but to have the two look the same.
They are each on a front corner of my house. BIG white blooms! OLD shrubs!!! Decades old!
Also my Butterfly Bushes (spider mites) --and my neighbor's Roses. Used Neem with "Dawn" mixed in for all this.
JB said that is what she uses on all her stuff. Good enough for me!!!

Planted Jill's Peppers and RR's "Blushing Suzy" Vine. Also--all the Cannas I had been growing in pots.
The rest will have to wait till tomorrow or Tuesday. Lots and lots to do! At least the Swap stress is over!!!!

Glad that some of this is done!!!! Need to now feed my Roses. They are done with their 1st blooming.
Holding my breath that there will be a second--and a third. All depends how much Black Spot thy all get...

OK! Time to chill. Watch some TV. Have some Pizza...Drink some Wine...Perfect evening!!!!

Gita

#1--This is the one I cut back severely. Right time to do it. it will re-grow majestically--minus all the scale, i hope
#2--SameAzalea--on my other corner of the house.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9130881

OH, well...sat staring at the screen for 3 minutes just to realize i posted the same picture twice...
I hope this issue with the up-loading gets fixed soon!!!!! getting tired of it...

Anyway--also wanted to show you another Azalea I have. You may not have ever seen this one.
Gor a rooted cutting from a co-worker several years ago...Now it lives in a small raised bed--
(any of you remember me building it and agonizing over it)--in my small bed by the front door.

--"Koromo Shukibu Azalea"

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9130896

I can name 24 of the people px, seven plants and Sally, the chicken and the bathtub!

Thanks for doing this Bec. Did you get a shot of the bamboo harvest?

Happy, I feel the same way...ran into catbird at her HD job today (lol, there to scout out more plants!) and she says there are several movements afoot to draft someone for this Fall, maybe on the sandy coastal plain of Maryland or maybe John will finish the stone pathway and Ruby will gather us all. Or, Or,

Pat said something yesterday to the effect that when you get to know someone 'on line' and then you meet them, you don't do the usual visual appearance thing, you just make eye to eye and connect! Seems so.

You all might not give me the shirt off your back but you sure as heck would divide a clump of purple iris or wrestle a prickly pear if I asked cause the proof is abiding in my yard!

Pippi, your most excellent banana bread sustained Wayne and I on our trip home. Best I've had award to you.

I hummed and sang little tunes as I delivered my paper route this morning so you know I had a very fine time in you alls company!

Judy

This message was edited May 20, 2012 5:21 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9130912

Boy I sure am exhausted, worked today and then JR had a Lacrosse game. Came home and ate leftovers.
Loved the seafood salad,
Gita, your pickles are delish
Jan, That Hot Potato Salad is so good.
LOL Pippi, Yes I can dig him some later. I was planing on it. He has a lighter pink one in his yard and I was going to get some of his peonies and give him some of my darker one. Glad you got home.
The little girls are - Jen's daughter Madison and my neighbor Mike's (bringer of the bamboo poles as well of a few plants) daughter Molly.
V is - Coleup and Jan
VI is - my neighbor Mike and his MIL
VII is - Critter, Chantell and Roses_R_Red
More is - CricketHillCt very old friends of ours Larry & Vickie they were wonderful help putting things together and Larry did the grilling.
Slow uploading going on...:) is - That is my wonderful parents. They had a great time and really enjoyed meeting everyone.
Yup, still have some left is - That first one is our wonderful Courtney, Josh's girlfriend she was a ball of fire helping everywhere and Aspenhill.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 20, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9131036

Great pictures Becky. Thank you so much for taking them and posting. My gosh, next time please take mine when I don't look drunk. Anyway...so glad to hear that everyone is still riding the swap high that tends to happen with these things.

We too had yet another busy day. My two nieces who live out of town came by our place after a family reunion earlier and they both went home with lots of goodies from our yard. They were both quite impressed with the plants we received yesterday which are mostly on tables on the screened porch currently. Hopefully tomorrow, we can begin planting and potting those which will need attention first.

Oh yeah, when our company left and John took a nap, I did plant a few small sedums that came from Buttoneer in one of the kiddie pools I have on the front deck for planting. We are supposed to have a chance of rain most days this week someone said, and what would be ideal is for the mornings to be clear for planting, and then some afternoon showers to water them good.

I am still finding new things to look at from the swap. I wasn't able to take it all in yesterday. One thing in particular I just noticed a bit ago was the nice decorative clay pot that the Clivia I got from Gita is planted in. I love the pot.

Thanks Holly for supplying the names for the photos. There were several that I didn't know either. I too would like to comment on the ball of fire that Courteney was yesterday. I commented while in the kitchen when she came through that I hadn't seen her sit and be idle the whole day, but whenever I saw her, she seemed to be on a mission.

Anyway...so great seeing everyone yesterday and a great big thank you to each of you for so kindly sharing your bounty with us.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9131066

Great job getting portraits, Becky!
Good job naming them Holly!

I got some thing in the ground, and most things at least triage'ed. I have a very happy little planting now of happy's Ginko Craig hosta flanking 'hart's' clustered bellflower that has just started blooming, nearby are hart's iris and Bec's Siberian iris, and Gita's brug, Ruby's woodruff, donner's brunnera ... many other happy companions of plants with people associated with them.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9131086

Maddison has 2 D's and she's going to be correcting people for the rest of her life(her dad's fault) LOL

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9131096

IX is Jessica(gardadore) and me
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9131115

The picture of me(Pippi21 aka Betty) tells me I need a color job; didn't realized that my hair had become so gray. I'm the one beside of the chicken's pictures.

My beautician moved out of state and I am still hunting for somebody that can do a good haircut for my natural wavy hair and a good color job. It has become too expensive to keep up the color so I've let it go natural. That' s my natural wave though.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9131131

Who is Pat? Username? Courtney? Who is the lady in picture next to Terri(AspenHill)
I think she was also taking pictures. Terri who was the beautiful lady sitting next to you under the canopy?

Don't know who had the clever idea to cut out round circle/holes in a box that held african violet plants and was on table under Holly's canopy?

This message was edited May 20, 2012 9:47 PM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9131144

thanks for the photos!!!.. made me smile!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9131156

that's Courtney next to Terri(Aspenhill)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9131166

Pippi,
The Africian Violets were Donners, She grows such lovely plants.
That is Courtney, Is my son Josh's girlfriend in the picture next to Aspenhill. Josh is away working on a friends home up north and Courtney was so kind to come and help.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9131205

Holly and Ric, you hosted a great party. Many thanks for the great time that you gave all of us. I enjoy the swap very much, and it was great to see you and everybody.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9131214

So nice to have all the photos, but I hope someone else took one of Becky. I'm Pat, usually with Greenthumb99, and my DG name is backward glance if you read it from right to left.

Ric and Holly certainly made us all feel welcome and it was wonderful to see their gardens. Nice to meet more of the people from up North, too.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9131223

Courtney was AWESOME!!! I wish I had gotten a chance to talk with her...and so many I missed talking with, actually, the day just flew by!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9131227

Gita, No that plant didn't come from me.
Coleup, We are so glad that you and Wayne could come, we had several Plant Swap newbies at this swap and so glad you enjoyed yourself.
Wind, I was thinking about Ladyg quite a bit on Swap Day remembering her and I sitting on the front porch for a little while and chatting.
Ric wandered around the yard this morning watering all the plants. I thought I had gathered most of them up in one or two areas, but there were a few sitting around that he hunted out for some TLC this morning. I will be spending some time this week getting them in the ground. Everyone gave us such lovely plants and I can't wait to see how they grow.
I am sure that as people start planting there new plants that there will be more questions like what is this plant and who gave it to me. LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9131231

I had a wonderful, wonderful, time yesterday. So good to see everyone and meet those that I had not met before. Your posts echo exactly how I am feeling - well said everyone. I took some pictures - got some good ones, but I am too tired to get to them posted tonight. I spent most of the day planting and then making notes in my garden records of what came from who and where it got planted. I love walking around the gardens and associating the plants with the happy get togethers and the great people who shared them. Off to bed, will post the pictures tomorrow after work. Again, THANKS Ric and Holly - you guys are the best.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9131313

Great pics, Bec!!! I had to finish up side job today and have something tomorrow night after work. I WILL upload pics no later than Tue though. Got home at about 12:30 am and unloaded my car (thank you Jesus...it all fit in my car just fine) - I big ole thank you to everyone who shared such beautiful plants. I have a few with no names...will post those tomorrow (have pics on my phone)...thank you again!!!
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9131359

I am finally getting on line after being completely exhausted Saturday night and busy today. Once I was dropped off at the house by Teri and Bob (Roses R Red) I just had to go through all the "goodies" and make sure they were safely on my shelves in the shade for today. Then I ate a small sandwich and collapsed in bed! Today was spent getting ready for another swap with my local Herb Club on Thursday (basically giving, not getting!) and trying to find new homes for all the wonderful things you all brought.

Thank you so much, Holly and Ric for hosting this wonderful event. I am sorry to have missed the previous one! You have such a beautiful and creative place. I love your greenhouse!! But the most fun was actually meeting the people I was communicating with before the swap as well as re-connecting with those I have met at our previous Mt. Bethel Swaps. You are a wonderful group and it is so nice to be with people who love to talk "plants" and don't think you are some kind of fanatic!! Thanks to all who were so generous with your offerings. I can't believe I came home with at least as much or more than I brought! It will be a while before I find the perfect spot for everything but I have a good start.

Actually I could use another swap to give away the things I am digging out to make room for the new ones!! Or I need volunteers to come up and stand behind me with a bag so I can dump these items right in and have you take them home so I don't have to send them to the compost heap! Any volunteers? Fortunately some of these extras can go to my Swap on Thursday.

So happy planting everyone and again major thanks to Holly and Ric for hosting!!

Jessica

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #9131431

Joyanna is particularly excited about the "Popcorn Plant" and the "Peanut Butter Shrub." With no prompting other than being told "come here & see what this plant smells like," she said "popcorn! Ooh, I *love* popcorn!! I'm not old enough actually to have it, but I love it!" ROFL

Wait until we pick some leaves for tea from the C. sinensis Happy ordered for me from Camellia Forest nursery. She'll stop making "soup" (water from the lily pots, sand, gravel, twigs, dead leaves, faded flowers) and start making "tea" instead. :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9131454

Too cute!!! I think her thumbs are green already, Jill. I lve little one's wonderment at new things.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9131458

she is too cute

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9131525

I posted on the "Last Week Swap" before I found this one, but I really feel like continuing here with the wonderful afterglow that I feel. This spring we had a new baby added to our family, which I was really excited and involved with. I think that I was just as excited to prepare for and anticipate what would be happening at Holly and Ric's!! The day flew by and was filled with every imaginable warm fuzzy feeling, good food and wonderful new plants to take home. We are all so fortunate to know each other and treasure the thought that we will probably meet again.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9131551

Well said, Teri! Only gardeners would understand your equally anticipated arrivals of the baby and a plant swap. Love it!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9131557

Thank you Ric and Holly! What a beautiful day, beautiful garden, and wonderful people. I actually went to three different swaps this weekend, and nothing comes even close to the DG swap. Gardeners are generally a nice group, but the MAG folks are something special!

I'm still a newbie (this month marks the start of my second year of gardening)... and I learned this weekend to ALWAYS BRING A HAT to a swap!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9131595

"Hats- they aren't just for Derby Day"
LOL
I suppose we are just as glad is wasn't drippy and rainy all day!

Ditto, ditto, and ... oh yeah, ditto...

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9131607

Thank you Ric and Holly or a wonderfully hosted swap. Good food, good company, good plants and lots of easily accessed space. Your grounds are a delight, at least what I managed to see as I never worked in a tour. I really wish I had had more visitation with everyone. Thanks again Holly and Ric!

I managed to come home with one pot of plants that I had no ID for. I remember talking with the person who gave it too me, but I can't remember who it was. I remember thinking I would remember what it was...I remember planning to make a tag, but got distracted... This getting older really has some disadvantages. I wish the drainage of our soil was as good as that of my brain of late. Photo below

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9131639

Jill does well by having a silver and a black Sharpie ready at all times. She writes on the pot. That was working for me until 2 pm on Friday when my industrial Sharpie got lost in my plants. I haven't found it yet!

Not me- a grass?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9131650

Hm... I'd written a couple of questions but they didn't get posted for some reason.

-I don't think I'm very good at keeping bare rooted plants alive, except for the liriope and vinca of course (which are looking great in their tough spots!). Do you have any hints on how to care for bare rooted after the swap? I think some of them have already died. :-(

-This is my first year with tropical plants. Do I need to plant the alocacia/colocacia in very large pots? I usually just use osmocote, but what else should I use to feed them, since I hear they need regular fertilizers? Also, what else do you plant with them in pots?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9131659

depends on what kind of bare roots they are

Most I would just stick in a pot with potting soil and give a good drink, they should come back fine...if it's a true bare root (not moist with no green tops) they should be fine just in a peat moss for a bit

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9131663

Until plants revive, keep them out of direct sun.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9131677

yeah, that too!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9131680

David,

I remember seeing this plant at your table on Saturday and talking to Pat about it. I think it is an Acorus 'ogon'. It is a loriope-like plant. Each little 'plant' will grow into a fan and eventually the fan will grow into a circle, and into multiple circles on top of each other if you do not divide it. It will be years before it reaches that point though.

Donner

This message was edited May 21, 2012 9:03 AM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9131693

Donnerville, yes, yes. Acorus it is! Now I remember - Thanks
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9131801

Greenthumb, your pot is from me and is golden sweet flag acorus for your new bogs! Will spread.

ssgardener,
I plant my 'Black stem' alocacia escalente in 3 gal or larger containers but a 1 gal will do for now . I have over the years sunk their 1gal pot into a large container with no problems and easier to pull out for winter storage which I do pot and all with out digging them up and just let the pot dry out and keep cool and shady (think garage) but above freezing. Some people keep them indoors as 'houseplants' and that works, too.

They should really be taking off now with warmer days and nites even though they still seemed mostly 'dormant' at swap time (which made transport easier!} In pots, the stems will grow up to 3+ feet (in ground, more) If yours start to flop put in a bamboo stake for supporting one or two of the larger stems. I use Osmacote on mine . Keep them watered, in fact black stem is often used in water gardens as it does not mind standing water. I grow many of mine in decorative pots with no drainage and just empty them out if too full for too long or lol when mosquitoes start to breed! Their leaves will droop when they need a flood or drink. I do not use anything but promix in my containers and intuitively feel that moisture crystals/potting soil is not right for them, but haven't researched the latest recs, just what works for me.

'African Mask" Freydek and caladora (large upright green leaves appreciate similar care as outlined above, but vary in their "standing in water" tolerance. Freydek can make a good houseplant and is often sold as such. Google any of them and you will learn more than you need to know to be successful ! Or just ask here.

The banana plants must have free draining soil, planty of moisture and lots of food, I use Osmacote. Because of the size of the plants I brought of musa basoo and ensete I would grow them in 3 gal containers, too. Musa should reach about 3 feet and ensete up to four this summer. The musa bassoo I brought to Holly and Ric was container grown its entire life (which kept it shorter) of 7 years and outgrew my overwintering space by topping out at 11 feet last summer. I'm so glad they wanted it! The two babies I kept are 5 and 6 feet starting out the summer.

What to grow with them you ask?I've done impatiens, sweet potato vine, coleus, coleus coleus, plectranthus Mona Lavender, fancy begonias, coleus. creeping jenny, golden sweet flag acorus, Have fun!

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9131859

LOL Greenthumb, You are so right didn't get near enough time to talk to everyone and I am sure as I start planting I will be posting pictures and asking what is this and who gave it to me. LOL I always think I will remember.
Coleup, I was out looking at the wonderful banana you gave me. Trying to decide where I want to put it. It looks very nice in that spot beside the pond but I was thinking it would be very nice near those big pots I got from Critter for another water garden area and a new small water feature bowl and bamboo fountain.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9131888

Green thumb, you said it perfectly. Brain drain. I now have a new reason for the memory lapses. It is infuriating!!

I am kinda sore today after clearing new areas for my new goodies. I need to think ahead. Ha! Like that is going to happen. I think it is related to brain drain, don't you?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9131953

Aha! Coleus, thanks for the directions above on the Black Stem Taro... I think that's what you gave me, too, and I'll put it into a pot in one of the water lily containers (should the crown be above the water level?).

I do bring my banana plants inside for the winter (in a corner of the dining room -- DH just loves that, LOL)... but isn't Musa basjoo hardy? Or is it just root-hardy in our zone, so that you'd need to give it winter shelter if you wanted it to stay big/tall?

Holly, your hardy water lily is in one of those big pots with that little floater from LadyG and a piece of JR's plant (whose name I can't recall at all; the one he collected from the river)... I put pieces of those two plants into another pot, also, which I figure should double my chance of success with them LOL.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9131963

Harry is trying to figure out how to connect the several video clips he took at the swap. He got a new program that supposedly can do it. It may take awhile so stay tuned. They came out okay, not the greatest picture quality, but it is the memories that count. He got a good one of Gita hacking at the bamboo with Sally tossing one down on the ground like she was going to go pole vaulting!! That bamboo was neat. Never saw it cut down like that before.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9131966

"Curiosity killed the cat!" What happens at end of day when everybody starts packing to go home and they have plants not claimed? Do you have a mad scramble or play "52 pick-up" or hog tie somebody to take them home with them? Or does Holly get stuck with them?

My husband asked me as we were having dinner that evening in our hotel and I didn't know the answer.

Holly, we really enjoyed meeting your parents. I'm so glad they could come. They mentioned that they live at Camp Hill now; is that where you grew up? Is that off Rt. 15 before you get into Harrisburg? Near Mechanicsburg? Our hotel was off Union Deposit Rd./Park Rd. near Lawnton area. You might know where that is.

Do you all ever have anybody giving demonstrations or workshops at these plant swaps? Or do any of you ever get together during the year to do something special, related to gardening? I would love to be able to get together with somebody that grows their seeds inside under lights to get an idea how it is done. I can look at all types of books but seeing how people do it in person is better for me. You've read these license plates on cars "The Show me state" well that applies to me.."Show me" don't tell me how to do it and expect me to comprehend fully.

Have you all ever wrapped your garden related gifts and then played a game where somebody could say "I want to trade with you and takes the gift you have, and you can snatch it back later. I can't think of the name of the game but it is fun. We used to do it for our Christmas party at TOPS.. People would wrap their gifts so pretty or put it in many boxes so it would look like a big gift, open it up and it was something small.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9131979

Yep Jan I could see David's brain draining as I was loading it with acorus chatter! Nothing peculiar to David I have just had to learn the signs of in one ear and out the other. Slight cocking of the head to one side, eyes a bit glazed or narrowed and a visual focus away but sometimes imperceptably close to speaker. Listener is usually engaged in another task simultaneously and tries to auditorially focus while visual attention is elsewhere. So, in addition to drain my brain just doesn't load it in the first place! Or, if I do load info in a highly stimulating situation like a plant swap that info could be stowed away in any of the memory files with me afterward not having a clue as to where to find it but convinced it is in there. I may forget I wanted to remember something and then suddenly days later EUREKA my brain reveals if. Slightly aside, during college exams I couls 'see' the exact page in the textbook where the answer I needed was but couldn't figure out how to get close in enough to read it...Sigh. M

My point in all this? I think plant swaps are some of the best 'keep your brain young' exercises around, better than crosswords! So please add this to the reasons for having more swaps more often!

And I agree with Gardadore and Happy and others that we need some post swap or second gleaning swap for all we could have and now need to passalong!

Judy

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9131989

Alrighty - luckily I got 2 of my unknowns ID'd...please help with the remaing 2. Last 2 pics are of same plant - just different angle. Done with cell phone so bare the the iffy quality - please and thank you.

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9131990

I get what you are saying about 'post-swap' learning and get-togethers, and all I can say is this: if y'all want something like that, then organize one ^_^ I was thinking about a fall swap here, then I heard rumors Sally is thinking about having one?? Organizing a swap isn't 'that' easy - it takes organizing of dates, having the room to do it, organizing food/drinks...and before you say you don't have room, I live in a townhouse and have held 2 swaps here ^_^
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9132009

Critterologist, I personally have not used my Black Stem taro in a water feature so research is needed here for best practices. In the tropics where they are native there tends to be a rainy season and a drier season which these plants are accustomed to evolutionarily.

On the musa bassoo. Yes, it is one of the 'hardy' bananas and is reported to be root hardy with mulch/cover in zone 7 and even zone 6 (zones here refer to length and coldness of winters) About seven miles away from me zone 7b-8a, the parent of the baby I passed on to Holly has formed a huge grove of about 30 such plants and retain their stalks every winter so far (15 years) with no cover but in an ideal for them protected spot. I believe Holly is planning a leaf cage for hers. In selecting a site it would be good to select one with shelter from high winds which will shread banana leaves and ruin that authentic luau you might be planning to give!

Ensetes should be over wintered inside a cool space where it wont freeze during its dormancy (one guy stcks them horizontally in the crawl space under his house) or grown as a house plant.

More on this later, got to run and deliver the papers. Wonder what song I'll hum today?

Judy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 21, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9132018

You also have hosted two great swaps Becky, and I had a great time at each of them. I have also had the pleasure of visiting your home and gardens on a non-swap day and you have a lovely home. I know that a lot of preparation work goes in to hosting any sort of get together, and my hat is off to anyone brave enough to volunteer to do so. There will come a day when we will play host to one of these gatherings, but it won't be during 2012.

Even though we own two acres of rural land, somehow our parking situation leaves very much to be desired and that is just one of the logistics that will need attention before we invite a crowd here. Single visitors and families are welcome any time that any one is traveling in these parts and wants to stop for a cool drink if summer time, or a cup of coffee or hot tea if during cooler months.

An idea I have had for parking is asking my brother for permission to park across the road on property he owns and then using one of his recreational vehicles to transport people and plants up our very, very steep driveway. My brother visited here last evening on his "Mule" which would seat four people and I was actually thinking of seeing if there is a possibility of John and I purchasing one for ourselves before we offer to host a swap. That is in the idea stage at the moment, and will be decided upon after researching cost of said vehicle. Time will tell.

Sally, I hope the rumor is true of your hosting a swap. I would love to see your gardens. Gosh, any one of any of you who would host would be great to see your places too. I have visited quite a few homes of the members here and have really been quite amazed at the gardens that each of us plant lovers have grown. Heck, you know us...we will travel for plants.

A very special thank you to each who so graciously shared your extras with us. I see that we came home with much more than was requested, and that is a-okay with me. We will find room for all of the above. Most of you know that the past couple of years, John has been vending at a local farmers market most Saturday mornings. I wanted to reassure folks that we don't accept any plants from you folks and sell them directly, but do use the off spring of some said plants in our small business. Sally, the Lysicmachia has been really putting out lots of extras, which some are now potted and will go to market when they set bloom. Last evening when my niece was here walking around our yard, she commented on how pretty the plant was and I was happy to be able to offer her some that was already potted up and ready to go to a new home.

David, you too very kindly offered us quite a few of the Campanula Elizabeth which will also be potted and when in bloom sit on John's table at the market. Thank you so much to all who have shared your extras with us. I can't look in any direction, indoors or out without being reminded of you folks because so many of the house plants and garden plants have come from you very great people.

Yes indeed, I too am still riding on a high of sorts that always follow these events. May the good feelings continue for us all. Happy Gardening everyone.

Ruby

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9132020

You go Bec! I hear ya. And here I thought just having met you that you had just recently had to move to a town house because I recalled that you hopsted the swap I sent ambassador plants to but did not attend!

So, Holly, Bec, Roses and Critter, does it get any easier the second time around?

I guess for me, part of the swap high is looking forward to the next ones!

Tremendous thanks to every one for all of the prep and planning and logistics every one put in whether hosting or just attending.!

This message was edited May 21, 2012 12:44 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9132024

Chantell, these are just guesses: The leaf shape, veination and white underside of the first plant suggest to me an Attenneria, or pussytoes. We have a patch in our yard that looks almost identical. The second plant (in its present condition) could pass for some species of violet.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012

Post #9132025

Heehee on test-taking. My problem in college was in physics which I didn't take in high school. Very hard for me. The problem was during tests, the prof sat down at the bottom of the lecture hall amphitheater and never looked up. Kids had their books open on the floor all around the room. Burned me up.

I am seriously thinking about spring or fall 2013. That way I have time to get ready. Hahaha who am I kidding? I won't be completely ready, but you know what? I realize it doesn't matter. It is what it is and that is good enough. Yay. I also realize it is too far for many of you, but it also opens up a whole different area. We live right across the river from Wilmington, DElaware.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9132038

Nope, we've been here for 9 years in this townhouse - it was our choice when we moved to VA ^_^ I took my cue from Jill and pretty much did what she did - organized the threads for swapping/foods/have's etc. made sure I had cover for people, some chairs, tables and went from there ^_^ I don't stress over much and I didn't over the swaps either - I live on a cul-de-sac and set up everything at the end of the street ^_^

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9132055

Ahhh David - you're a genius...I bet that's exactly what the first is and probably the 2nd as well. I has asked for both - yipeeee!!!

I've yet been to a swap that wasn't simply wonderful!! It's more about the social aspect really...ok the plants don't hurt (unless you've run out of room in the vechicle you've traveled in...UGH - MY bad) I think with a little organization (there's always the swap gurus here to ask questions of) anyone could do it and it's fun to visit different areas (say's she that's never done one...LOL)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9132085

Critter the plant that Jamie collected is Justicia americana American water-willow. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=juam
Pippi, I was glad to have whatever left overs there were. My son Jamie and wife Deb couldn't come as they were at a BoyScout function and they have several empty acres so they are glad for any plants at this time. We haven't done any type of demonstrations as we are usually too busy trying to get around to talk to everyone. I never have enough time to spend with everyone that I would like. Some of the Mid-Atlantic members that live close enough try to do some activities. We had a group visit Rawlings Conservatory in Baltimore and Longwood Gardens there have been some other get togethers from time to time.
Chantell, I gave away a couple of White Violets. Should be marked on the pot with silver marker if they came from me.
Yes, Second swaps are easy. Somehow we keep missing Bec's Swaps there is always something coming up to keep us away.
Wind, I'd love to see Harry's video, hope he can figure out how to post it someplace.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9132105

Chantell -- I'm sure your photo #1 is, as David said, pussytoes from Jill -- that originated at Hart's (I think Jill got them in the 2008 swap). Jill gave me some as well, and they look exactly like your photo.

And I agree with David on the violets as well ...

So Sally, are you "on" for a fall swap?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9132137

Did anyone pot up plants in translucent purple cups -- maybe 12 ounce size? I have 2 unlabeled plants I don't recognize -- and no functional camera at the moment so i can't post a picture. Lots of stems.

Ssgardener: I'd put your new bareroot plants in some of that excellent Tapla mix you made, wet it thoroughly (unless these are plants that rot easily or are cactuses or other desert-loving plants), and then put the pot in a plastic grocery bag and tie it at the top -- put a puff of air in it before you tie it so the bag will stand up. Put them inside by your sink (so you don't forget them and the "weather" is fairly constant), out of direct sun, and wait a few days. I bet they'll recover. Check every few days and if they don't look ready, re-bag them. Once you think they are looking sturdier, don't take the bag off all at once or they will wilt -- but first open the bag and wait a day or two, then slide it part-way down and wait a day or two, and finally remove it.

By the way, this same technique will work for rooting the Salvia Black and Blue cuttings I brought, if anyone is wondering, thought it will take a few weeks for roots to form.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9132156

Happy, those purple cups would have been from me, they should be catnip.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9132157

Yep, Chantell, those are Hart's pussytoes... sorry, another pot that I didn't get labeled!

Ah, which Sally's arm are we twisting? LOL

I haven't been able to get my house or "grounds" into the kind of amazing shape that Holly & Ric or Terri & Mike managed... but most of hosting a swap is providing the framework for the event -- a place (threads) to organize some information before the gathering and a place to gather. I do understand about things like parking issues (here, we can use the parking area up by the community pool if we get more cars than our cul-de-sac can handle), but more generally speaking if you wait until you're sure everything is perfect before you have a party, well, for most of us we wouldn't have many parties! :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9132158

I'm taking notes happy...y'all come up with the bestest ideas...and my plants thank you for them!!

Jill - no worries - I remembered you even pointed them out to me...my bad for forgetting. My brain still goes MIA unexpectedly...ugh

This message was edited May 21, 2012 2:43 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9132167

Catbird423 -- catnip -- that's it! We just tested it on Barney (the cat) and he was definitely interested -- though I have read it is more potent dried than fresh. Thank you! And Barney thanks you too!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9132270

Barney will be one happy cat.

My friend is going to subscribe to DG. Instead of tipping her for my hair, she now has DG. Well, not yet, but soon. Thank you all for making her feel welcome.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9132305

Today,We've had light, soaking rain most of the morning and afternoon, so everything should be growing and blooming once the sun comes out again. What perfect weather we had on Saturday for the swap.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9132359

HM, thank you for that tip about using a plastic bag!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9132479

Sallyg, What do I do with the Gloriosa Lily? I remember the thread last year with all the pictures and discussions can you direct me back too it? Can't wait to get it in the ground.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9132586

Since I was exhausted on Sunday and working all day today I haven't gotten anything in the ground, but have found homes for the lovely house plants I got from Gita and Donner :-) Hoping to get the annuals in the planters tomorrow - my deck is covered, and the tomatoes in pots - they'll have to live on the deck, hoping they won't explode!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9132770

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me plants or cuttings to enjoy here in Annapolis.

I love the creative variety of labels and pots from computer generated to marker on newspaper! Sallyg I tried sticking your marker in soil but I doubt it will take root! Do you want it back?

A special shout out to Ruby who gifted me with the most precious unique pot and glass holder filled with my two plant passions: coleus cuttings and hen and chicks. I am intrigued with the pot which I believe can be hung on a post or pole or small tree by an adjustable strap! So sweet, just like you special lady!

The other variety beside the plants (Buttoneer those mini plants are so cute!) that I'm enjoying as I work with my haul is the variety of soils the plants you have shared have grown in. Sallyg is your soil really that sandy? And I'm not the only one with clay I see.

Any how my post swap plant life has been easy because of the care you all took with the plants you shared. The baton has passed so to speak to me . May I be worthy and spare my plants from that slow tortuous decline some of you put your orchid through.!

Thanks, for instructions verbal and written (yeah Gita). And thank you Wind for connecting with Coleuslover and bringing her wonderful healthy robust coleus cuttings to me. She did the MEG that Cris organized in April. and I hope more of us will get to meet her. Hopefully you and she will get together some as you live in the same town!

Enough for now...

Judy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9133318

Lots to read today..I must have been busy yesterday!
Fall swap here? Sure why not? I have a cul de sac situation like Jill's but an older development. Some shuffling of vehicles but then can park along the street just a house or two away. My house would be the one with the Sycamore planted where no reasonable person would- right by the mailbox in a tiny culdesac front yard. I didn't do it; it was here! I think the prior owner did an Arbor day thing- ten mystery trees and just plant them around la de da.

Everybody's garden here is 'amazing' in what we accomplish thru hard work, and sharing, and searching out cool stuff. DO not expect neatness here, but do look for variety (tee hee)

Judy, please keep and enjoy that marker! Consider it a tip for your generosity of plants. Thanks for reiterating (iterating?) the care of the Colo/Alo-casias.

Sometimes the soil traces jog my memory- like Holly and Ric's red clay under a hosta. Cool. My soil is sort of sandy but can have clay underneath- weird. Sticky clay, not the same kind as Catonsville Piedmont reddish clay.

Trying to clean house today, badly neglected!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9133326

Ray! Sally's hosting a swap!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9133327

YIPPEEE!!!!! Fall swap at Sallyg. I am getting excited already. I get excited pretty easily. Haha

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9133329

ow, my arms!!!!! lol. They weren't twisted that hard! Nyah nyah, I won't have to pack my van with plants...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 22, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9133357

Good to see that the high is continuing for most every one. I get a special little thrill each time I pass my porch and see the goodies that are now lining the tables out there. I am much like Becky and the others who are busy catching up not being home for two days, and haven't yet spent very much time potting or planting. John is working on planting Iris and Campanulas at the moment.

I was able to stick a few things in pots last evening. Trying to tend the most tender things first and the others can wait with no problem hopefully. I did a mail order purchase in Mid April believing the company would have shipped way before last week, so I really have double trouble on my porch currently. No space for my house plants to go out until the new plants find homes first. A visitor to our home this week would be in awe of the many plants sitting here, there and every where.

Thus far, I have only one un-ID'ed pot which I will take a photo of soon and ask for instructions and a name. I have been amazed with all we brought home with us. I suppose par for the course, we ended up with lots of extras that others had. This particular trip we didn't bring any thing extra to speak of due to the space restrictions we had.

Well folks, gonna run and see what kind of planting I can get done today. Such fun!!! Happy planting to all.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9133432

...Taking a break...

Sally---A question on one of your plants...

The color-striped Canna you gave me. Is it the shorter variety? The one you often see planted
in the center of a lg. pot? Seems I have seen it in combo-planters at HD.
If it is short--I shall do the same...

I am not getting anywhere much with the garden. Too many maple seedlings coming up everywhere!
I have NEVER seen so many little "helicopters" before. They are all over! And--sprouting...
I could open a Maple Tree farm...:o)

Free food for the squirrels, though. They eat out the seeds. One was sitting high up on my gutter chowing away.
The gutters have these wire-leaf-guards on them--and the maple whirlies collect there.

It is NO fun--when you want to plant things--BUT--first you have to pull up all the sprouting maples,
then dig up the soil a bit, exposing more of them. Then amend the soil for the new season--and only THEN
I can plant something.

Though my budding Hummer bed was done. NOPE! It is, once again, covered in Maple seeds.
AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH...
Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9133491

Yeah those maple seedlings are RIDICULOUS this year!!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9133532

Gita, I think the canna you are describing came from me at our preswap at Sally's. You and she helped me divide it and you each took a chunk. The rest I brought to swap as extras. They are 'Tropicana' cannas. FYI

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9133608

[quote="flowAjen"]Yeah those maple seedlings are RIDICULOUS this year!!!![/quote]

agreed big time!

Got my tomatos planted, Jill
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9133687

I am sure that everyone got one or two tiny Maple Trees in each pot I gave away. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9133699

[quote="HollyAnnS"]I am sure that everyone got one or two tiny Maple Trees in each pot I gave away. LOL[/quote]

agreed, big time, again!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 22, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9133722

Ditto for the Maples seedlings. I was trying to get John to pot some of the ones we have sprouting every where here, and we had a rather loud discussion about it. He says no, I am not selling them. I said, you don't have to yell, and he says, I have told you numerous times no, so I feel I have to yell. hahahaha

We have just spent the past several hours working our buns off. He was cleaning out the gutters which were full of previous topic and is now in the process of trying to wash the helicopters off the deck. He came in a bit ago to call his brother about borrowing his power washer, and bro said he forgot to put anti-freeze in it this past winter, and there is no longer a power washer that works. John said he is going to try and borrow one if he can find someone who has one, or either go purchase one if can't borrow one. I told him to rent one, but he would rather buy one I suppose. Heck, might just be a good investment for us.

I was able to clean off a neglected plant table on the deck and then move a couple dozen at least house plants out the door to spend their summer. I will need to keep an eye on them because it might be a too sunny location for some of them. I also emptied the small garden window I have in the kitchen which was full of rooting jars. I moved them outdoors with some of Saturday's take that need attention. I just told someone that I already had enough plant work here to keep me busy for a month, before I added all of the goodies from Saturday. I don't feel as though I will ever catch up.

Anyway folks...so happy that I was able to spend time with so many of you on Saturday. Thank you to all donors of plant goodies. I have a very beautiful assortment of things, and know that I will derive very much pleasure from them all.

Hope every one is having a good day.

Ruby

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9133791

They're everywhere, they're everywhere!!! Those little maple seedlings.

Have been planting things that needed to get in right away and trying to figure out where others will go.

THANKS guys she said in either a very excited voice (I do tend to get excited) for making me clean out a bed in order to plant new goodies, OR in a more bothered voice(no, that's not the word I want, but can't come up with the one that is on the tip of my tongue- aaacckkk, the brain drain hit again) for making me clean out a bed so I can plant more goodies. I think it is more of the excited voice for that bed was long overdue for a good clean-out. So thank you for the motivation to get rid of things that MOVED around. Heehee you know exactly what I mean. Goldenrod - my mom loved it and BES. There still will be some I am sure of that.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9133794

Something dug up the hellebore I just planted grrrrrrrr, glad it just left it there
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012

Post #9133815

Grrrrr

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9133902

Judy--can you still tell me how tall the "Tropican Canna"...cha...cha...chaaa!!! ...will get?

To all those that were sitting under the Gazebo and we were talking...and I mentioned this
catalog (I could not think of the name of) that I bought this sea-weed stuff from...I just got a new copy.

It is called "Planet Natural Garden Supply". Web site: www.planetnatural.com Check it out!
All kinds of neat, organic plant products. Stuff you cannot get in any store...makes you want to spend $$$$$

I placed an order earlier this year. I bought the sticky cards for catching gnats in the house.
Been searching for those forever! Also the "Bio Weed"--a sea weed concoction for gentle feeding
and helping plants start roots.

They have 100's of products. And--I could spend 100's of $$$.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9134028

I didn't have too much trouble this year with the gnats, so didn't try this, but I've heard that you can also make your own sticky cards by applying "tanglefoot" (a product used by orchard growers) to cardstock... if you just need to put up a couple every now & then, it's probably way easier to just use the pre-made ones. I have visions of how much of a mess I could get into with a can of super-sticky stuff.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9134325

I have also heard that one can slather vasaline on an index card--and it will catch the gnats as well.

This is pretty old information...just thought i would throw it out here... G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9134391

Gita, you've got my number in that you know I'll try to look up info on plants I do not know! 'tropicanna' cannas grow 4-6 foot in ground and 3-4 foot in containers.

Imagine my surprise while researching an answer for you, to learn that there is a worldwide virus attacking cannas! And, my dismay at identifying that the 'Tropicannas' I shared with you and Sallyg pre swap and brought extras of to the swap are infected.

http://www.canna-collection.org.uk/canna-virus.html

I sent everyone I could think of at the swap a dmail advising that the cannas from me in square black plastic pots be destroyed as there is no cure, they will die and infect other healthy canna . Bummer.

I am most bummed . however, that plant vendor and growers knowingly cultivate and distribute diseased canna, impatiens, basil, tomatoes, hosta, coleus and the list goes on. So all you plant procurrers out there, BEWARE! And practice good gardening hygiene for all of us and all our plants and this lovely planet. Thanks.

Judy

This message was edited May 22, 2012 9:38 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9134893

Wow Judy, Good to know. Although we've had most of our cannas for years, I will be checking them out for sure, and destroying any infected ones. It looks that the only safe way to buy them would be already started or from a certified supplier. That will definitely up the price. :-{ Thanks, Ric

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9134928

Just ripped up the Tropicanna Canna but I'm still so grateful for the beautiful Freydek, Judy!!! I've been dragging my flatbed wagon all over the place with loads of plants looking for their new homes. If they do all take off, I'm sure that the weeds will definitely be crowded out. Just looking at my new babies keeps memories of the swap right up front. I wonder if it's a stretch to do one over a two day weekend. I have extra bedrooms and lots of spaces for air mattresses and outdoor tents. We could just leave our plants out and hose them down before leaving. There are 4 bathrooms and showers and several entrances and exits to the house and basement. I guess I'm getting carried away, but I hate to see the gathering end so soon after everyone's food and potting preparations. We need an extra day just to chat after we swap, I think.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9134986

Gosh, folks...swapping is in everyone's blood now. Even my hubby who has always found dozens of excuses for not holding a swap here was full of ideas when I awoke this morning for having one here. hahaha He too must have been sorry to see it end all in one day. I believe a good portion of the let's do a two day swap, is for the socialization end of it. Such great people, and one afternoon just doesn't give a person time to spend with each of the folks that they have come to know and love by spending time daily on line with them.

I do want to thank each of you who went out of your way to visit me at my roosting spot at the tail end of my car. I had such fun catching up with each of you. So many of you went out of your way to bring me something special and unexpected, so that was a real treat for me.

We had a productive day here yesterday getting plants situated for resting a bit before many are either potted or planted. John is getting some of the garden plants in and I am mainly tending to the house plants that I received on Saturday. We certainly have loads and loads of each.

Best be off now and check and see if last evening down pour damaged anything. Hope that everyone has a wonderful day potting and planting...aaahhhhhh...sweet bliss.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9134991

Roses, that would be really cool... the first DG swap I attended was a weekend "roundup" at Hagar's cabin... what fun! I think that would be wonderful for a spring swap, especially, just because we seem to swap a lot more plants in spring, which cuts into our party time.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9135138

[quote="ROSES_R_RED"]Just ripped up the Tropicanna Canna.[/quote]

Thanks for your due diligence in destroying this diseased plant before it could infect another canna. If you haven't already done so, it is very important to thoroughly clean and then disinfect any tools, clippers, spades, ect that may have come in contact with the juices of this canna as it is the juice where the virus lives.

Here is an old joke that might apply in this instance:

What is worse than finding a worm in an apple you've just taken a bite of?

Finding only half a worm.

There are up to four pots still MIA that need to be destroyed. Please respond to my dmail blast if you have one and have destroyed it. Thanks

Roses, it is wonderful to contemplate a two day swap with the easy option of one or both days attendance! I like, I like.

Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9135634

Judy--

Just wanted you to know i copied out all the info from the link you posted (just in bl. and wh.--saving color toner)
and gave it to the Bell Nursery person working today. She promised to pass it on to her boss...
SO! I have dome "my share" in the heads up department...

I still have mine sitting outside in a tray. Am off tomorrow--will give it a proper burial...:o)

Thank you, Judy, for all you do to educate us! Gita

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9135637

That goes for all of you!!! I have learned so much already. Now, if I can retain it that will be the test. I will just use the 'brain drain' excuse, if'n I can't.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9135662

Just FYI re CANNAS from our table: all rhizomes were healthy virus free, please don't discard them. I was hoping they would all find good homes.

Learning about the canna virus is good information to know about. We have not introduced any new cannas in quite some time. Now I'll be hesitant to do so without really checking the plants first. We've always dug up the same 'ol green leaved, red blooming kind and have never seen any virus.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9135664

Will do, Wind
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9135719

I missed out on both diseased and healthy Cannas. I love, love, love the plant but have been given instructions that we don't need any more at present. Both Sallyg and Gita have given us some in the past, and they will have to be enough for me now. Waaa...

Anyway...have a couple of plant identification questions. This first picture just shows the out line shape of the plant, and fuzzed out on the color. The color is a lime green mostly. It was unmarked and in all the swapping, we can't remember what it is nor who gave it to us. Please advise...thank you.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9135722

This may be the same unidentified plant that David asked about yesterday, and I am too lazy to go back and read the answer. Is this one in the same? If so, tell me to go back and read previous answer. Thanks.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9135728

This picture is of the blooming as of today, African Violet from Donnerville. Its name is Mulberry Jazz. Thank you Donnerville.

Ruby

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9135771

The most recent photo you posted, Ruby, is of the white liatris that David started from seed. The plastic bag with bulbs for the same plants was tucked in that container too.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9135806

Ruby, the plant with lemon green leaves might be an Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' from me. I will be able to better identify it if you could provide a photo without the flash.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 3:28 AM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9135984

might be the right leaf shape for GJ
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9136035

Wind, were your cannas in a bag -- a dormant clump of bulbs, maybe a little reddish? I know Cheryl (Aspenhill/Terri's friend) was really excited about those. :-)

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9136211

I handed out some in plastic bags, they are tall red flowered cannas.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9136316

Holly the HUGE one you gave me that was that blue plastic tray was from who????
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9136375

I gave out ones in blue plastic trays and put a few in plastic bags. But I know there were other people with cannas as well. I handed mine out rather late as I almost forgot them. They were extras I had.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012

Post #9136379

Okey dokey

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9137166

Jill, our cannas were in two large round plastic pots; people were able to just take whatever they wanted; no bags
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9137234

Thanks! Sounds like Cheryl's probably came from Holly, then. :-)

For anybody who got "Felicia's Phlox" and missed the back-story... It's an heirloom from Jim's family. His grandmother had it in her garden, and his mother grows it now... since they were both named Felicia, that was clearly the name to give the phlox, although you won't find it in any official registry.

Here's a shot from her garden last summer:

Thumbnail by critterologist

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9137259

oh, forgot to ask you, what are the names to decode the initials of your tomato plants again? I'm hoping to get them planted and identified this weekend =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9137389

Here is my picture of Jill's "Felicia Phlox". This is from last year.

Comments:
The bloom is a bit smaller than the "usual" Phlox.
It was a good bloomer--and lasted a fairly long time
I had it planted next to one of my 'regular" Phlox, but moved it to a spot of its own.
Will see how it does there...

Very nice color--- Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9137427

I got Gita's monkshood planted today, and lungwort (yuky name all right) and pink evening primrose yesterday. I'll be sure trying to get everything in place this weekend. And keeping it watered in, in the predicted warm sunny weather. Still have to plant green beans!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9137848

Mom's phlox is a little lighter in my garden and almost looks pink in Gita's... different soils, maybe... The photo I posted above looks true to its color in Mom's garden, at least as well as I can tell on my monitor. It's a tough plant, even does OK in part to full shade.

Tomatoes...

BY = Brandywine Yellow
RB = Russian Black
F= "Friendship" (round red noid from Italy)
SM = San Marzano (productive plum)
JF = Juane Flamme (gold, and not tasty-ripe until it's red on the bottom and some red when you cut it open)
PT = Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top (pink)
WI55 = Wisconsin 55 (round red)

I think that's it. Basically, you should have a good assortment of colors & types in a 6-pack.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9138030

YAY, I have everything from the swap planted and the rain over the last few evenings helped water them in. Well, I say everything, but I still have chocolate mint (from Ric & Holly) and the lemon balm (from John & Ruby) to plant - not sure if I want to do herb pots or sink nursery containers with bottom cut-outs into the ground. Oh yea, I also still have the annual snap dragons (from David & Pat) and alyssum (from Ric & Holly)...so maybe not really done LOL - pretty darn close though.

When I was finished planting yesterday evening, I started reading a wildflower book that David & Pat brought over out on the front porch listening to the rain. It was so relaxing, and I fell asleep out there - woke up about midnight. Love sleeping outside. I haven't gotten around to posting the pictures from the swap - will make sure to do it this weekend.

This message was edited May 25, 2012 11:58 AM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9138037

Good for you!!!! I came down with a cold and don't feel like doing diddly squat but did plant 7 of the 42!!!!! plants I got...LOL
Keep the chocolate mint in a container unless you want it EVERYWHERE
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9138093

The rain has been sideswiping us, so is still pretty dry here. Bummer!!!

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9138114

Aspenhill: The lemon balm is very invasive -- it reseeds, so keeping it in a pot will slow but not stop its encroachment. It does smell lovely though.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9138127

Confessions of a murderer: I have had two casualties so far -- so very sorry. Critter's "Tiny Monster" geranium didn't make it, nor did the smaller of the two Maya's that Gita gifted me. Truly, it wasn't for lack of trying or attention on my part, though I do hold myself responsible. They both may have died of a broken heart -- you know, homesick and all -- but the buck stops here. I will give them a proper burial in my compost plot.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9138131

The other idea that I had for the lemon balm was to take advantage of its reseeding, spreading habit to fill in a bank (about 8' x 35') by the pond to stop erosion, pretty it up, and have something nice to smell to boot. It would be contained on one side by the water and on another side by rip-rap? rock. I'd just have to put some type of barrier on the back side. I'll probably just start with the herb pot and think on it some more.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9138134

Aspen -- I really wouldn't do that. It is so invasive that a bank full of it would infect the rest of your property in short order. Plus I don't th ink it forms a particularly nice ground cover.How about Sweet Woodruff, which is invasive but easy to contain and, at least in my experience, doesn't reseed hither and yon. Or ajuga. Both would fill in really quickly. Or bigroot geraniums, which I love love love.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9138143

Happy, oh nooooooo. What is it with geraniums? They are "supposed" to be so easy to grow, but most of the ones I've ever attempted have not made it. Even when I told Jill my murderous tendency with them, she insisted that I try 'Rozanne' once again LOL - we'll see...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9138146

Happy, I love the sweet woodruff and am getting that established in some other areas, don't really like ajuga that much. What are "big root" geraniums? sounds interesting.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9138202

This is the variety I have, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82930/, plus SallyG gave me some of a different variety at the swap. I started with maybe 10 plants of mine, and put them under an old oak tree maybe 2 years ago. Twice a year I aggressively divide them so as to expand the patch -- I just did it, so they don't look like much right now (or I'd post a photo), but they are covering an area of maybe 10' x 10' (I haven't measured). I'm trying to increase their reach by about 4x that. I try to do it when the weather is cool, ideally right before a few rainy days. They smell wonderfully of apples, and they really block weeds. And in April they are covered with flowers that last a month or so.

Here is someone else singing their praises: http://awaytogarden.com/the-toughest-groundcovers-i-rely-on. According to this blog, my variety is "less rampant" than othres. Maybe you'd want the more rampant one -- or not -- check with Sally in case that is what she has and she can comment on whether it gets out of control. The author of the blog did say they don't like it too wet -- would that be an issue if they are adjacent to your pond?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9138318

I had lots of fun all day running around with my flatbed wagon filled with plants, looking for places to put them. I had a great time pulling out the weeds and replacing them with the contents of my wagon. All my swap beauties will help me to crowd out the weeds that I didn't get to pull this spring when I was at my DD's house more than I was home. I just love the variety that I came home with. Some stuff for my beloved perennial gardens and lots of stuff for the "wild" area that I'm trying to beautify. Yes, it's fun to relive the swap each day that I care for these plants!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9138462

Glad you had a great day, Teri. Still have plenty to plant here, but not today. Today was the end of the year program for the little preschool that is run as part of the local high school. Little Maggie was in the pm class. It was not just for the little graduates, but also to recognize the high school kids involved. It lasted about 1 1/2 hr. I was impressed with the little kids. They sat on stage for the whole time and were pretty well-behaved. Each little kid had at least 2 high schoolers that were assigned to them. The teacher is retiring after 25 yrs of doing this. Maggie started soon after she turned 4 in Nov , so she will be in this class again in September. It runs 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours and it's free.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9138489

Happy, I don't think that 'Tiny Monster' was rooted very well yet, as I started it a couple weeks later than those 'Biokovo'... I've got another one here that still looks OK and think I'll stick a few more. No biggie, we'll just try it again. LOL

I've got Sally's geranium also, a couple of starts from last fall that have turned into nice little plants already! Love the magenta blooms. Two of my older 'Rozanne' are suddenly enormous this year, so I'll have to try to stick some pieces from it, also. Tuff stuff! I think there are better ideas for that pond bank than lemon balm, for sure. You really want to stick with something that will let you add other things down the line... bigroot geraniums, sweet woodruff... maybe even vinca -- yes, it's a thug, but it will have boundaries, and I'm pretty sure you can plant other things where it's growing (at least plants and shrubs that are tall enough to rise above the ground cover of the vinca... its roots just don't seem that deep.

Creeping Jenny would probably be happy there also and would especially do well in damp areas closer to the water. Come get some of my variegated Vinca major to try there... I also have Vinca minor in the back corner garden and both gold & green creeping jenny. I just came across a web page with some neat landscape photos where creeping jenny was used as a groundcover: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1167524/list/Great-Design-Plant--Golden-Creeping-Jenny/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9138815

Jill--

The color difference in your Mom's Phlox is, probably, due to my old, crappy camera.
It never captured blues or reds correctly.

I will wit until it blooms again and take better picture with my new camera...

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9138945

So excited for the long weekend...time to finish getting everyone in the ground!! VERY appreciative for Mother Natures assistance in keeping all the potted babies watered!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9138955

Chantell, what are you doing up at this hour? Same as me, can't sleep LOL??? I'm getting ready to post pix...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9138956

Robin (Catbird) and Sally (Sallyg)

Thumbnail by aspenhill

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9138958

I'm up too -- had to stay up late to pick my daughter and her BF up from the prom. Yawn.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9138959

David (greenthumb99) and Pat (ecnalg)

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9138960

Happy, too funny - we are just wild and crazy party animals on a Friday night!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9138961

Ric (wonderful host), Jill (critterologist)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9138962

Judy (coleup), Gita (gitagal)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9138963

Betty (pippi), Terri (ssgardener)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #9138964

Chantell (chantell), Becky (bec_no_va) - aka tweedle dee and tweedle dum...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9138965

Sally (sallyg) - great pix of you Sally!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9138968

Holly's parents and Ruby (rubyw), John and Cheryl (my neighbor friend), Becky (bec_no_va) Ric and John

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #9138969

Larry the grill meister

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9138970

The bamboo queens - Gita (gitagal), Jill (critterologist), Jan23

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9138972

FlowAJen loading up the loot

Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9138973

And a few final shots of Ric and Holly's beautiful gardens

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9139020

terrific photos!!

Critter, thanks for the tomato names =) and thanks again for the tomatoes! hope to get them in the garden this weekend.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9139039

lol Was this really all just seven days ago?!!!

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

May 26, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9139044

Wow, there sure were a lot of big plants there! It looks like it was a lot of fun. I see now why people drive several hours to get there. I hope I can make it next year.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9139188

you would most likely enjoy it .. as I had!!!.. worth the drive!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9139210

BTW (as my daughter would say), someone left a bucket of what Critterologist described as horsemint. I took a handful. Which of you folks left that bucket? Thanks!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 26, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9139240

Aspenhill, I would love to share some Creeping Jenny with you at some point. Also have more Sweet Woodruff, thanks to Happy Mc to share also. Just let me know. Please, please, please let me shower you with some Lambs Ear, which I loved some years back until it too proved invasive here and I have now grown to almost hate. Sedum Sarmentosan would also take off and cover a lot of ground too. Shoot girl, one trip here, or even a mail shipment from here, would keep you busy and get a good start to the area beside the pond. Let me know...I can help, I believe.

Much the same as Roses, I too have been happily recalling the fun of last Saturday, any time I have tended any of the loot we came home with. Donner, I will try taking another picture of the plant, but feel as though you have hit the nail on the head...this cup of whatever was in a box of other goodies you gave John, so most likely it came from you.

Thanks Pat for identifying the Liatris. Will get it planted pronto...when there is a cool time in the next few days.

John had to go shopping yesterday to buy a tent canopy to erect over a table full of house plants that we didn't have last year. Last year everything fit on the screen porch, but way too many to fit this go round. When looking around our yarden, it does almost seem like there is a nursery here. I especially enjoyed working with the Freydek and the Banana Plant and Elephant Ears that I received from Coleup. That is how I spent yesterday morning before the heat arrived and sent me scampering indoors for the rest of the day. We too have had a couple of afternoons of showers, which delighted the plants. A few of the pots without drainage holes came out looking very messy and way too wet. They have since been moved indoors where I can control the water they get.

Anyway...you folks are the very best. Thank you again to each and every one who sent plants home with us. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and try to stay cool all.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9139359

I couldn't agree with you more, Ruby about everyone being the best. As my Mother's uncle would say, bettern a llll the rest.

He also would say, "you're pretty in two ways. Pretty ugly and pretty apt to stay that way". Needless to say he was a character. He also liked to get sugar from the ladies. He died just shy of his 104th birthday.

It is very hot and humid here and no rain here. It skirts all around us. Trying to keep everything going.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 26, 2012

Post #9139382

We have been fortunate so far, rain wise. Our area is known for droughts later in the summer, and thinking of that really makes me sad. It is so sad to see things wither and die. I know how frustrating it is to need rain, and it keeps passing you by. That too happens here on occasion.

Anyway...I was outdoors earlier, but hopefully will be able to stay indoors therest of the day where it is cool. Have lots of chores, indoors and out, so I won't run out of things to do. No big holiday plans here, but I hope that any of you celebrating will have a safe and fun time.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9139416

[quote="Chantell"]So excited for the long weekend...time to finish getting everyone in the ground!! VERY appreciative for Mother Natures assistance in keeping all the potted babies watered!![/quote]
Ditto that!

GOlly you people, I miss one night...
"My bigroot geranium' is magenta-esque pink as critter said, like the one posted by Victorgardener in that link of happy's of 'ingversons' Maybe ingversons is supposed to be the lighter pink. And 'my' bigroot is evergreen for me, with fall color on the leaves, absolutely pest free, spreads slowly on its own or quickly with minimal help and can survive a vole condo underneath it. Easy to move, or remove, does not leave spreadable bits like a mint would. . geez I wonder if I brought all my pots or there might still be a couple left behind the shed and totally forgotten. ONly thing bad I can say is, the foliage on mine has a weird pungent smell, not appley, if you brush it.
I would nominate this geranium over woodruff for your bank aspenhill, because the woodruff goes bare in winter and the geranium I think would keep some foliage. I LOVE my woodruff, but notice that any wet winter leaves stuck in it will cause delays in leafing up (temporary holes)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9139419

Sally: I love the smell of the leaves of my 'Ingversons.'

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9139422

Oh- Jill's Biokovo seem equally nice or better! I planted Tiny Monster next to it.. actually I think I sunk the pot, being not sure if it was a geranium, so that sounds perfect.
.I'll continue to have enough of my bigroot to plaster the world, or the forum, as desired. Oh aspenhill, let's put some old blue Siberian irises on the bank too!!! Did I give you any? They'd ve love the moisture and sun,, would sort of self mulch with tough dry leaves and would have tough persistent roots over winter to hold the dirt.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9139423

happy I may put an ingversons request on the next swap list! I have to go smell Biokovo.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9139480

Sally -- those iris are a perfect idea for Aspen's bank!

You gave me some of your bigroots at the swap, so I'll do a smell test later today!!! I'll do a blind test on my family...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9139521

Oh, that reminds me -- Terri! -- I have one more plant left over that's yours... big bucket of siberian iris, probably from Sally! Keeping it moist, and it looks fine. :-)

Somebody did call it "horsemint," but I don't remember who said that... I think the person who brought it said it was "Apple Mint" but couldn't tell you now who that was... ok, somebody, fess up! LOL I like its pettable leaves.

I don't love the scent of 'Biokovo' either, but it doesn't seem to get eaten up by voles or anything... not sure if other geraniums have that weird pungent scent or not as I haven't pulled cuttings from them. 'Tiny Monster' has smaller leaves and little bright magenta blooms but definitely isn't short-short... when I got it, I think it was described as only 6 inches tall, and mine has formed a loose rambling mound more like 12-15 inches tall. It's open enough to work well with TB irises or as "shoes & socks" next to some lilies... I want to spread it around here...

Aspen/Terri, we can definitely pot up some flats of creeping jenny and sweet woodruff for you from my place... Happy gave me a nice box of sweet woodruff several years ago, and I've kept taking pieces, potting into flats, and planting out again until it's pretty well all through my daff & DL island bed in back... I really love it!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9139590

I think I am officially exhausted. I have been outside since 7:00 this morning - sometimes in the sun, but mostly in the shade. What a difference in how uncomforable it is working in the sunny areas compared to how comfortable it is working in the shady areas. Gotta love that shade LOL!

The chocolate mint and the lemon balm are safely potted up in containers now vs the potential running rampant in the ground. I have six fairly large size pots sitting on the stone retaining wall in the parking area. In a third container I put the thai siam queen (basil?) from Jill and the greek oregano from Sally. Remaining three containers were potted up with Home Depot herbs - apple mint, orange mint, and sweet basil. John and Ruby, that lemon balm smells absolutely wonderful.

I like the ideas you guys have for my pond bank. Combination of siberian iris, big root geranium, and creeping jenny sounds great. Jill, I think that siberian iris that you have for me is from Jan23. I did one more record keeping walk-about right before I came in, and I think that is the only thing unaccounted for.

Ruby, the only thing that I have been really successful at growing from seed is lamb's ear. It is coming up in all sorts of unexpected places now LOL, but thanks for the offer!

David and Pat - there was a hummingbird that kept coming to get the nectar from the pink blossoms of the silene armeria that you gave me. I saw him multiple times while I was out working on the hillside shade garden today. Too cool...

We've all been saying it, but I'll say it again - I love being in the gardens and surrounded by all the plants that I have received from each and every one of you. Constant reminders of good friends and good times.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 5:57 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9139680

Yes, the 'Siam Queen' is Thai basil. Made some Thai red curry last week and added tops from the basil seedlings... yummm!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9139709

Aspen: We can't wait to see picture of your bank! We are cheering you on!

Gita: I know you aren't big on Latin names, but any chance you know what Monkshood you gifted me? There seem to be several different plants that are called Monkshood. Thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9139766

I tested Biokovo- I found it more pleasant than 'my' magenta bigroot- Biokovo seemed mildy herbal/ possibly appley/ LOL.

David- the Downy woodmint is in bloom, what cute tufty pompoms of bloom! I planted my seedlings of Monarda (your seed) today, and saw one teeeeeny Heuchera richardsonii sprout.

Coleup/ DonnerSally-- I up potted the Strelitzia today and accented with some of donner's shamrocks. Shamrocks blooming like KuhRazee. The rest of the purple shamrocks went into the pussytoes where they will look so sharp against the cool, fine green and white pussytoes leaves.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9139801

That would look good with the pussytoes.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9139889

Happy--

I went and looked at PF. There are so many--all have blue, "hood"-like blooms.
I have NO idea! Perhaps "greenthumb" would know. I gave him 3 plants. he already has some.

I can post a picture--if that helps...I have not had much success with these.
Maybe now that I have dug them up and divided them and replanted some--they may do better...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9139917

Thanks Gita (and Greenthumb in advance!).

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9140004

whew...looks like I wasn't the only one up at that odd time last nigth (or early this am depending on how you look at it)! LOL I fell asleep at a ridiculous 9 pm...woke up WIDE awake at about 1:30 and thought...hmmm I'll check in to DG..LOL Got up at a decent time and went out to start working on getting the babies in the ground...and than...IT happened. I notice the tree REALLY needed trimmed - it had put on a lot of growth...causing more shade than I wanted in the yard not to mention looking like a big sail waiting for a strong wind and rain to tumble over. So I trimmed it the best I could - using a step stool (go ahead and laugh...it WAS funny) and my loooonnng pruners. Than looked over to my right and thought OMG the rosemary should be name Seymour! Seriously. So I went and trimmed her back (yummy - will be making rosemay/garlic olive oil tomorrow night). Needless to say...some time had passed at this point. Got a few things in the ground - than gave up to the heat and went inside to shower the mud (dirt + sweat = mud) off. Did my stores...than back outside till 9 pm. I WILL get all these babies in the ground. I too - thought of each of you...esp. plants you told me were heirlooms. Just gives one the warm and fuzzies to be surrounded by all these babies so sweetly given by our DG family. Ruby teases about her lambs ear but I think of her and John each year it comes up and my girls love it - 'petting' it. Chloes tells Mariah - these are from Memees plant friends...I met them all when I was just a teeny baby. Thank you so very much!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9140080

Yup, Jan...and I can share...pussytoes at least. They're well up in their exponential multiplication!

That's so sweet, what Chloe says! I sitll feel bad that we hardly (did not? ) cut your daughters cake, at hart's it was soo pretty!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9140081

I can still see Diane after getting everyone fed, making the rounds with shovel in hand, "anyone want pussytoes?" LOL Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9140084

Finally this year I got a survivor of her favorite Clustered Bellflower to bloom.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9140156

Sally---I still do not see any Clustered Bluebells. Have I lost them all?
And--I still do not know what those round-leaved things will be that I shared with several of you--
calling them the Bluebells...I DO forget what I have planted in many places...

The Bluebells SHOULD be under the mess of N.E. Aster--Rose Campions--Evening Primroses, etc.
They are ALL growing like mad--over each other--YES! In my "YUK" bed...

Still will try to dig out my big, old Rosemary. That will be VERY hard!
Gonna root a bunch of branches for future times...Then spend time stripping off the needles to dry.

Chantelle--I have never made Rosemary/Garlic OO--or any other flavor OO.
How do you use it?

Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9140158

Gita and Happy,

I won't know for sure untill they bloom and I see them in person, but I think that the Monkshoods that Gita shared at the swap are Aconitum napellus.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 27, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9140401

Had to laugh at Gita's term of YUK bed. So many of ours are currently deserving of the same name. This extra early spring allowed things to get ahead of us and our plant maintenance.

I am enjoying hearing about Aspenhill's new project. Yes, if you can Terri, do a before and after pic for us. I can vividly recall just how lovely the pond looked from your yard. Your home and yarden made a really huge impression on me. It has to be about the closest thing to Eden that I have seen in Virginia.

So much fun hearing about all of your garden exploits. Be very careful Chantell. I know that many of us are guilty of using less than good sense when it comes to getting things done, we want done. I am capable to doing pretty much any thing I set my mind to, but it just doesn't look so pretty getting it done. hahaha i scare even myself at times when having to use chairs or stools to reach high areas. I always imagine myself laying on the floor, broken in several pieces until someone happens to come home and find me. Thankfully, that has only been a vision thus far, and I have had good luck in not damaging myself any further, though many times I deserved it.

Anyway...wishes of more happy gardening to all.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9140575

Gita, I'm sure you'll have plenty of rosemary for drying, but try freezing some too. I do it the same way I do many herbs, mince it (food processor works well!) and add a little olive oil. With rosemary, you don't generally want a whole lot in something, so I don't do it in big cubes in an ice tray... I've used one of those mini-ice-cube trays that hold about 1/4 teaspoon or so, but I think the easiest way is to put a "glob" into a sandwich bag, close, and flatten it pretty thin before freezing. You can stack a bunch of little baggies of it inside a quart size freezer bag... when you want some to add to stew or whatnot, just grab a baggie and break off part of the sheet!

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9140593

Good tips, Critter

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9141026

LOL - I hear ya Ruby...I was very aware of my limitations...as I have a great respect (read: FEAR) of heights to begin with.

Gita - as to the flavored oils (vinegars too) - I use them for salad dressings or bread dips etc. Rosemary oils great sprinkled over red potatoes and roasting them!! My fav mix so far is the rosemary/garlic oil. I fill a mason jar with the soft tips and the rest is the rosemary 'petals' removed from the branches - than add fresh sliced garlic (lots - maybe 5 cloves or more)...filled with Olive Oil. Use chop sticks to push it all down - than cap it. Give a daily gentle shake...after 6 weeks whaa laaa...flavored oil everyone loves.

Great idea Jill!! I was looking at that huge bucket and thinking...there's not enough mason jars in VA to tackle that - nor do I have the room for that much oil to sit on my counter...LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9141078

Jill and Chantelle---

Thank you for all your great ideas...

My Spanish neighbor, Olga, has a HUGE clump (bush) of Rosemary growing just under her house overhang
in the back yard. If i EVER would run out of it--I can just go and gather hers.

I am not anywhere near digging mine up yet. However--I have a small pot of some Lychnis waiting
to find its new home there. I may need to pot it up to a bigger pot--as i do not know how soon i will be able to
dig up my Rosemary. I see it as an extremely difficult job. How deep do their roots run????

YEAH!!!!! I saw TWO clustered Blue Bells blooming today among the mess of all the other plants...
Will take a picture tomorrow...I should mark their stems so I know which ones are them...
G.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9141146

I'd dig around it a little and see if you even need to dig it up -- I'm guessing you could just cut down the rosemary and plant around where it was... you may be able to pull up enough of the root or just work around it... i've never taken one out on purpose, but I've lost a couple of pretty large ones and pulled them out... it's not likely to have a solid fibrous root system, not like trying to plant around the stump of a maple tree. :-)

Chantell, as delicious as that oil sounds... please read this info about making infused oils, especially with garlic... http://www.ext.colostate.edu/safefood/newsltr/v2n4s08.html I know a lot of people will tell you they've been making flavored oils for years without anybody getting sick... but with something as potentially deadly as botulism, I'd rather not take chances, even if it's not a high-percentage chance.

If you put a little olive oil & garlic in a skillet and then add some fresh-frozen rosemary from the freezer, you'll also get a wonderful infused oil that you can use right then & there. We love rosemary & garlic on oven-roasted chunks of potato, and I also use it with a pan of green beans...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9141204

Well pooh! And a thank you, Jill! Guess I'll be adding the garlic right before serving and thanking the Lord that no one got sick on that entire mason jar full of that mixture. Been using it for months...sheesh.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9141205

as it says, though, just make sure to add vinegar or lemon juice to the mix to kill off the bacteria, need to have that acidifying agent

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9141208

wonder what effect it would have on the taste???? Anyone with exp with this?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9141444

Colorado extension service suggested... acidify, keep refrigerated, and still use within 3 weeks. You can do the infusion quickly by heating the oil (the garlic can get toasty brown, just don't burn it), then strain out the bits.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9141449

Oh, and if you like the flavored oils for salad dressings... just make flavored vinegars instead. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/111/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9141453

Jill--

The freezing idea sounds best to me. Freezinf is always safer--and lasts long-term.

How much OO do you add to a snack-baggie of chopped Rosemary?
Just enough to coat the pieces or more--like you, would, actually have OO it was 'floating" in??

I won't tackle this project until everything is planted and I have re-claimed my patio to relax in.

Thanks, Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9141969

I do frozen herbs (including rosemary) just like pesto -- chop in the food processor and add enough oil to make a thick paste, something that mounds up on a spoon rather than spreading into a puddle. So you don't need to add much olive oil, not more two tablespoons in a cup of minced herbs. Some people freeze herb leaves "naked," but I think coating them with oil (whether they're whole or minced) lets them keep more of their fresh flavors... and they seem to be fine for 2-3 years in the freezer (if they last that long).

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9141993

Thank you, Jill...I also came across you article on preserving your Herbs.

Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9142309

Since I don't have a food processor, can I just chop it up finely?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9143262

I need help with Miss Kim's lilac I got at the swap!

I have it in really good potting soil and in the shade for now. The sunny area where this plant is headed isn't ready yet, and may not be ready until the fall.

The leaves are looking shriveled, like it's dry, but the soil is moist.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9143365

Mine is a little shocky also... doing just as you did and keeping it sheltered/shaded until it recovers.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9143386

Just finished weeding one area of the garden and was so happy with Gita's Digitalis and Brazilian Plume Flower looking soooo good in my one little shade garden right off the front porch where we sit during the afternoon. Holly's Pink Octopus and Donner's great looking Raspberry Bushes were looking in the area just outside my dining room window. Of course I'm keeping an eye on all the lovely "invasive" plants that I'm hoping will tame my very wild tree line area. Allison's agastache are keeping my own seedlings good company and I just love the Freydek from Coleup. Tomorrow I'll go to other areas and report on my other adoptions. This is really such fun. Better than checking on the mail order and perennial nursery plants which are so pretty but have no swap stories behind them.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9143398

Hey Roses, the raspberry was from me! :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012

Post #9143648

My Miss Kim is in dire straits too -- it's a shame the weather is so hot. I've talked to her, tried to buck her up.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9143652

ssgardener,

The Miss Kim came from me and was a challenge to dig out. It is possible it will not survive unless you detect good roots (or some roots?). If it fails completely let me know so that I will plan to dig one earlier before the next swap and pot it up. It was dug the afternoon before the swap and immediately wrapped in wet paper and then placed in plastic in the shade. You are wise to keep it in the shade or partial shade for the moment. I am not familiar with lilac diggings. Maybe they will form new leaves, I really don't know. I apologize for giving you one that might not make it. Perhaps others have suggestions on what to feed the root system to help it along. First check if the roots are still intact! Let's hope for the best!

Jessica

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9143657

Roses---

The Brazilian Plume Flower will need to come in for the winter. It is NOT a hardy plant.

Sounds like you planted it in a bed. Right??? I would dig it up and put it in a10" pot.

You can always sink the pot back into the bed for temperature control--but it will have to come in sooner or later...

I keep mine on a table outside all summer. I have never planted it in the ground.

Just FYI...Gita
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9143658

There was a good deal of cross posting while I was writing my post. I do hope Miss Kim survives. She did not like being dug and fought valiantly! There were small roots on all of them but this heat is definitely a killer. I don't know how well lilacs do with rooting! This was the first time I dug any for a Swap. I feel bad that they are all suffering.

Jessica
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9143659

Gardadore -- good heavens, please don't apologize because a plant doesn't make it! Otherwise, these boards would be diverted to apologies and mea culpas! Of course some plants won't make it. But I love the fun of trying. And to be honest, I know all the steps to give a newly rooting plant the very best home (grow-lights and rooting hormone and anti-fungals and the like), but sometimes it is nice to just give it the old college try (a pot in the shade with a cover to create humidity), which almost always works without all the fuss and bother.

I was thrilled to try a Miss Kim, and maybe at the next swap I can try again and I'll better anticipate that she needs a bit more TLC. Speaking for myself, please don't go to any more trouble on your end, and thank you very much for bringing me the Miss Kim, even if she doesn't make it!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9144244

yes, what Happy said!

Those little lilac shoots can do well even if they have no more than a scrap of root when you dig them. I have a couple of pots of tip cuttings from Aunt Erna's Lilac that have had wilted looking leaves for I think 5 weeks now... but the leaves are hanging on... and just the other day I noticed that 2 of the cuttings now had perked up with normal looking leaves! The only "trick" I know with them is to keep the soil moist while they're trying to grow roots... I gave Miss Kim a drink of willow tea, too (chopped willow branches into a bucket of water and let it "steep" in the sun; willow bark = rooting hormone).

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9144380

Sorry, SS. I remembered your face, but not your name. I do love the raspberries that I'm keeping undisturbed in the pot because they already have berries on them!!

Gita, the Plume Flower is already in a pot in a nice shady pot very near to where I put in your digitalis.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9144525

Boris, our cat would like to thank Catbird for the two catnip plants from the swap. Here he is hanging out and guarding the one we planted in an expansion garden. (Notice how rocky our soil is.)

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9144528

Jessica - you were beyond gracious what you offered and as you can see (and might have guessed already) we MAG's are a good bunch and very appreciative of the generousity of fellow gardeners. You blessed most of us with a whole slew of plants and it was much appreciated!!! Hugs!!

LOL Boris looks like he wishes to be left alone with his plants...

This message was edited May 30, 2012 8:22 AM

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9144550

David, I once bought a catnip for my cat and he ate all the leaves before I had a chance to plant it. Then the neighbor's cats came at night and finished the rest of the plant. When I got up the next morning, there was a one inch stalk in the pot. That was it.

I went back to the garden center to buy another one. The lady there told me to put a hanging basket upside down over the plant so that cats could only get to what was growing through the basket. So the second catnip lived, although I did once find my cat running around in the garden like mad with the busket stuck around his neck.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 12:49 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9144587

My rain gauge shows 3 1/2"s and there were flash flood advisories, but I didn't hear of any flooding. Ric
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9144595

WOW, Greenthumb, what a beautiful cat! He looks like he should be in a Disney movie!

Jessica, H_M put it much better than this, but half the fun is in the process! I'm still a newbie, so learning to take care of a barerooted plant is a treat for me.

Roses, I think the raspberries might need a little fertilizer. I didn't expect it to do so well in that container so I didn't prep the potting mix with enough osmocote.

Jill, the lychnis alpina is about to bloom! I didn't think it would flower the first year after wintersowing. :-) I hope the ones from the swap are doing well. They were *not* happy about being transplanted.

Oh, the lilac had a really long root. Should it go in sideways or straight down?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9144662

I am feeding all my plants right now with Aggrand Products (including the raspberries)
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9144668

You are all so kind. I just hate to see something I gave away not make it but bare root is a challenge for me as well! Maybe Miss Kim will rally! SSgardener, I would plant it so the plant stalk is straight up. You may have to make a trench for the root depending on how it is. When you dig them up the suckers are often attached to a main root so I had to break it off of that root which means the root probably has to go in sideways (in a trench) so the plant is upright! Does that make sense? LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9144670

Just came in for a bit of a break. Thankful for cooler temps today. It never rained enough to wet the deck under the tree. So, I am watering. Alas. Also with clouds I am planting a few more things.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 10:00 AM
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9144754

We rec'd 1 1/2 in. of rain last night with thunder and lightning. I almost tripped on an "Alaska" Shasta daisy branch that the rain had beat down when I went out to the driveway for the newspaper this morning.. It needs to be transplanted in back of border anyway but it is loaded with blooms so it'll just have to wait till Sept. when it is cooler. I moved a rose campion in full bloom earlier this week and so far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will check to see if that area got some of the rainfall last night. It is under the eaves of the house...depends on which way the wind/rain was blowing.

I took and snipped oriental poppy pods off and put inside a brown lunch bag and marked them. I didn't want them to reseed anymore. Do you think if I leave that lunch bag out in the hot sun that those pods will dry up and release the seeds inside the bag?
This is an experiment..if it works fine, it is doesn't, no big loss.

Refresh my memory..the oriental poppy foliage dies back after it is finished blooming? At that time can I transplant it elsewhere? There's got to be some type of root system after the foliage dies back, right?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9144793

Pippi- pod plan sounds fine to me.

Not sure how much rain we got (check BWI and assume the same) but ground looks nice and moist and ready for me to get the last few things planted- yay.
My oakleaf hydrangea was shocky (MY BAD!! I had put it in the van early on to make sure I didn't lose track of it) so I cut off the bigger leaves, potted, and the small leaves are doing well.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9144807

I love my daughter's mothering with nature approach to what to do with a fussy one year old on a warm rain, rainy day! He was out in it for almost two hours and each time she brought him in he would immediately crawl back out! God bless them.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9144823

Nature's Water Park!!!

gardadore About now you might be discovering that the Achillea Paprika I gave you could actually be White...Sorry! I can't remember how careful I was with potting that last year.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9144829

Coleup -- I love the photos!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9144845

Coleup so cute. Babies are just so wonderful.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9144906

Love the mothering with nature approach. Such a good idea.

I have been playing in the dirt this morning. Yay!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9144943

too cute!!!! if it's not a thunderstorm rain is not gonna hurt ya

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012

Post #9145620

Got last three bushes planted, foxgloves in the flower bed...thought I was all done and then found three clumps of small iris ...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9145770

Isn't it amazing how plants find you? Hey, I hear there is a party at Sallyg's, let's go crash it. I understand she is a fun gal. Maybe she'll plant us too. I can hear them talking now. Oh boy!! What was in my coffee? Heehee

Looking forward to another great day playing in the dirt. Jeff got home from school yesterday, took one look at me and said something to the effect ----- you are one dirty mess!!! I took that as a compliment.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9145841

Jan, I'm right with you. Evenings and weekends I am sweaty, dirty, coated in bug spray, hair pulled away from my face with two or three clips, and wearing shorts, a tank top that is either too tight or too loose (can't seem to find any just right), comfie bra or god forbid none at all (the much needed support is completely lacking), white socks, and garden crocks - as a whole, about 4 completely unmatched and/or clashing colors. As you can imagine, I look absolutely GORGEOUS!!!. But... I am totally happy and take any "disparaging" remarks about my appearance as the best compliment I could receive LOL.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9145863

Sally--

The small Iris was from me--remember? I just gave them to you...

Greenthumb and Pat---

Here is where your "Elizabeth" will reside for the season. It will get good, long AM sun.
This is a brick pad in front of my shed--the left side.
The plant on the left is my pink NOID Brug. On the right is a planter box that I put this and that in.
Wanted something that climbed a bit--but did not have anything. The Coleus will grow about 3' tall.
Good enough!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 31, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9145908

What a busy bunch everyone has been. Can't say that I have done any thing garden wise this week. Been concentrating on packing every article I own in preparation for carpet installation in a few weeks. Where the heck did all this stuff come from? I am amazed at all the bed linens I own. Am trying to think of folks who might need some pillow cases or an assortment of different sized bed linens. I will get it figured out at some point.

Anyway...what fun stories and great photos. Oh gosh, I too have to confess to losing some swap plants over the years. It seems though that the ones who do survive the shock of the move turn out to be some very hardy plants indeed and sun, nor sleet, nor snow can stop them. Just amazing.

Seems a bit cooler this morning and I might try to fit some enjoyable activities in to my day and that means some dealing with plants rather than packing. I can truly get lost in my own little world when working with plants, and the world can just pass me by and I am just as happy as a clam in my own little green world.

I loved hearing the fashion news here today because I can truly identify with the ragged and mix matched clothing that accompanies playing in the dirt. Happy gardening all.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9145981

Feral plants
Yes Gita I remember the small iris from you. I also have a small blue and small yellow from John. They are all potted and may stay that way till later in summer; happier than if I stick them in a random spot and forget them (horrors!).
Ruby, the Umbrella tree plant is so healthy and lush! Thanks again.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9146015

A comparison picture of Sedums- John Creech, Ogon, ternatum- and Semp arachnoid...
oops forgot one, and sorry that picture quality is carp
}: ^P
And a S. sieboldii-
Thanks to ssgardener, happy, Jill, and donner?

This message was edited May 31, 2012 9:44 AM

This message was edited May 31, 2012 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9146146

Sally, at first I thought that was a dead fish next to the sedums, was thinking "Sally is really using a natural fertilizer" then realized it was a maple helicopter, lol.
Worked out in the yard yesterday after work too, had sweat dripping off me too. Forgot the bug spray, will remember today. Getting things in the ground and pots.
Look what I got for $20 at K-Mart yesterday, have wanted one for a while.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9146237

LOL! Terri, if you add a straw hat and a pair of oversized sunglasses to your list, you will complete my garden look. My husband threatened to take a photo of me in the garden and email it to my coworkers. I told him it wouldn't matter. Nobody would recognize me anyway.

By the way, my orange tank top matches becautifully with blue shorts, pink crocs and purple garden gloves.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9146341

oooo Catbird - how nice, and only 20 bucks - what a find!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9146943

Nice fountain!

I have found more ticks on me than mosquitoes, in my own backyard

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9146958

Holly--

We are at 262 Posts. Care to move this on???? Terry (Adm.) will be happy...with all the complaints
re slow loading photos.
Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2012

Post #9147104

Tomorrow will be a planting day for me, crazy busy day today my son's soccer game and my daughter's kindergarten graduation, tomorrow is last day for my daughter and my son just goes in Monday morning for the awards ceremony
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9147114

Congratulations!
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9147118

sallyg,

The achillea is still not blooming so will have to wait and see what I have!! I just learned about the benefits of achillea tea. If it is white I may pass it on to a friend who wants the white to make her tea. It helps her severe monthly cramps. She has been off the pain killer for three months since the tea works so well. Hope you won't mind if I do pass it on! If it is paprika then I keep it!!! LOL

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9147378

re the achillea - I'm going to have to look at my books - excited to hear about the tea thing. I'd only used it for topical wound type stuff when needed.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9147396

Speaking of uses for some of the plants we have in our gardens, I was researching Bloody Dock earlier. Ric and Holly have very kindly shared this plant with me twice and I must say that any visitors to my gardens are commenting on the one I have planted in a pot on my front deck. It has been a real hit. I was surprised to read that it is a member of the spinach family and can be eaten in small quantities. On the same research page there was a reference to Foxglove and some of the awful names it goes by. It has only been an hour or so ago and I have already forgotten the three names that shocked me so, but one I know had the word Witch in it and that wasn't very encouraging. I will need to go back and see if I can find it again, and jot it down in order to share here.

While on the subject, either Ric or Holly, I would love to hear how you came about growing the Bloody Dock and if you use it for anything other than ornamental purposes?

I will be heading outdoors in a bit to tend to the recently moved outdoors house plants and the plants from the swap which haven't been planted yet. I am sure they are all needing a good drink of water by now. So far, everything is still looking good.

Will return in a bit.

Ruby

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9147415

Ruby -- Are you not getting hit by the big storm that is coming our way? You may not need to water much...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9147416

Okay, could only find two of the names that Foxgloves is sometimes referred to as. Witches Gloves and Dead Mans Bells. Yikes ya'll.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9147419

Happy, the skies are looking very threatening but nothing wet is falling yet. The plants that need watering are under cover. All the others will appreciate the rain though.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012

Post #9147447

Yoo hoo Holly... The lovely campanula 'pink octopus' that I received from you at the 2011 swap is blooming now. I planted the campanula 'pink octopus' that I just received from you at the 2012 swap right next to it - it is blooming prettily now too. Something fishy is going on... the 2012 one suspiciously looks like the campanula 'elizabeth' that David & Pat have been sharing LOL. I'm sitting here just having a good ol chuckle. For all the planning I do, the best vignettes are the ones that are totally unexpected - those two different campanulas just happen to bloom at the same time and complement each other nicely...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9147479

Terri--

David gave me 4 starts of "Elizabeth.
Three of them were small--and just leaves. The 4th one was a tall stem with buds on it.
He said he wanted me to see the blooms asap.

Here they are...the grouping sits on the brick pad by my shed entrance.
The big pot is my pink, NOID Brug.

PS. The sky is ominous here as well. I am outside cleaning up all the trays and tables
and will put most things on level surfaces--and under my Patio.
High winds tend to topple things...more that all my frivolous squirrels...
G.

edited to say that the property you see behind all the pots is my neighbor's. NOT mine!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 9:22 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9147742

gardadore- of course I do not mind who loves that plant! The great Circle of Life as it Refers to Swapped Plants.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9147764

If folks are interested in the white heirloom achillea, I'll keep a few more clumps out there that I can dig in fall... it "volunteers" itself all around the garden (although probably not so much now that I've used germination inhibitor this year LOL).
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9147897

We will continue here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262555/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America