Post #9130390

Cool. :)
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9130513

Thanks. This is such a great topic, and it's my favorite thread. But it was getting way too long.

I like the contrast of the baptisia next to this barberry in my yard. Pic taken this morning.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9130689

Beautiful!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9130731

Great Picture!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9130761

Oh wow, when I enlarged it, the barberry looks like a mountain in the distance, away from the baptisia.. What a fabulous illusion!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9130799

My "plan" is to plant Baptisia australias with the perennial yellow snapdragon (A. braun-blanquitii) I am growing from seed this year. They both like full sun. I don't know if they will bloom together or not, as the yellow snapdragon will be new in my garden. I have the Baptisia on a berm, so I think the perennial snapdragon will do well.

I also started from seed Digitalis grandiflora that is a perennial yellow foxglove. I don't think it could handle that much sun.

Thanks, Donna, for starting a new "page". I guess I did just panic!

WarriorWisdomKathy: wanted to know what Penstemon grandiflorus was. Here's a picture:

http://www.morningskygreenery.com/product_info.php?products_id=630
Click on it to enlarge.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9130880

Great minds! I have both baptisia australis and digitalis grandiflora. I had several enormous baps at my old house. Now there is a plant you really have to leave behind. I was going to purchase them, but happily, a really great trader on DG had some, and received Heuchera Firefly from me (I grew what I intended to be three and got seven. And they divide easily. And rebloom. And come back year after year. I left them in their pots over the winter and they came out of dormancy like champs. They are already over a foot tall. I received a gift of digitalis grandiflora from a sweet person in exchange for allium christophii bulbs that had reseeded

Some of my very nicest plants have come from my fellow gardeners at Dave's.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9131029

Heuchera Firefly is a very pretty Heuchera. I bought Heuchera on the clearance rack at Lowe's last fall. They grew very well. Then, in the winter, the deer ate them down to the ground all you could see was a flat circle where the stem had been. I worried they would not return, but they all returned but one, and they are doing nicely. I would like to divide one of the other two so I could cover up that bare spot the Heuchera are edging. I thought I should wait until fall??
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9131104

Birder -

I would do the divisions now so they have the season to grow before Fall and Winter, providing they have enough leaves on them. I think they will have a better chance that way.

Here is one of my favorite combos - Monarda Jacob Cline and Astrantia Major.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9131138

Penstemon 'Sweet Joanne', Baptisia 'Solar Flare', yellow Gaillardia, and Amsonia tabernaemontana.

This message was edited May 20, 2012 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9131206

birder17, That Penstemon grandiflorus was a real stunner. Thanks for posting a link.

Great pictures Carolyn and Clint.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9131352

Carolyn---is your monarda already blooming or is this from last summer? Gorgeous. My monarda is a late July/August bloomer.

Clint---purple and yellow is my favorite color combo in the garden.

The Penstemon grandiflorus looks great. I'm going to have to add some of that next year.

Pic 1) Pairing of two lupines
Pic 2) thyme mixed with kinnikinnick

Pics both taken this afternoon.

Thumbnail by kosk0025   Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9131414

The monarda/astrantia combo is last Summer.

I always have had problems getting penstemon to grow - any secrets, Clint?

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9131478

Kosk, Beautiful pictures! How do you get Lupines or kinikinnik to grow in zone 8?
I got a Monarda Grand Parade and it started blooming in April, might be an early bloomer don't know for sure.

Carolyn, thanks for sharing that red one. Monarda Jacob Cline is a real beauty! I will add one next year along with some of that Penstemon, hopefully Clint will give us some pointers. :)

This is a bloom on the 'Grand Parade'

Thumbnail by virginiarose

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9131506

Grand parade is great---I think it is also a shorter monarda? I put in 3 shorter monardas this year for fronts of beds...I think they might be Grand Parade, but I'll have to check my records.

My zone 8 is deceptive. Zones are based on average low temps, but really Oregon is a Northern climate. The valley that stretches between the Coast range and the Cascade mountains (from Seattle down to Northern CA) is a maritime climate. This means for us that it rarely gets below 32 degrees in the winter (giving us that zone 8 status) but also summer times are relatively cool due to our summer night time temps. (Even when we have a stretch of 80-90 degree days, our nights are still very cool and the temps always drop to 50 by morning, even in August). If you get up early, open all of your windows, and then shut them by 10 am, it is possible to never need air conditioning. Our peak temperatures come at 4 pm. So to sum it up, we can pretty much grow anything here. Semi-tropicals all the way through Northern things. I feel like it is the perfect place to garden. A few aphids in the summer and a little powdery mildew/black spot are the only things I battle pest/disease-wise. The only negative is that the cool summer night temps mean our tomatoes don't taste as sweet.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9131631

We have typical Northern springs---I had a light frost 2 days ago, and today's temp is only going to reach 60, I believe. So that's why the lupines like it here. But very few things get killed in winter due to mild temps. For example, ceanothus does really well here.

Pic:
Centranthus ruber (yeah, kind of self sows like crazy, but I love it), some free irises that seeded themselves 20 feet from their parent plants (cool), and alchemilla. Pic taken yesterday.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9131633

kosk, Sounds like a great place to live! I am a little jealous. I found some new Lupines called Regalis Morello Cherry, First heard of them in a email from Annies Annuals. Could not afford to buy even two because they wanted 29.95 for shipping. Plan two, I ordered some seeds from Summer Hill. I am really hoping for the best. :)
I will give up if this don't work but either way I love the Baptisia, might use that instead. Love the kind you have do you know what it is?
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9131656

Oh thanks. But I forgot to mention our many months of rain (Nov. thru April/May--this drives many people away from the Pacific NW bc they crave sunshine) plus the two months where we don't get a speck of rain (July/Aug)---requiring irrigation. So it's not perfect here. But as a gardener, I welcome the rain. We are coming off of 2 weeks of glorious sunshine (had to start irrigating, believe it or not), and we are getting a nice soaking rain today thank goodness. The plants are happy.

My baptisia is the 'Purple Smoke' variety. I bought 3 of those as 1 gallon plants last year locally. (they were really healthy plants from a really good garden store), and I am amazed at how large they are this year already.

You will have good success starting the lupines from seed. In my opinion, they are by far the easiest perennials to start from seed. Big seeds, fast growth. All of the lupines in my yard I started from seed. (Lupinus polyphyllus, Russell's Hybrids). I also started some Texas bluebonnets (lupinus texenis) and Lupinus elegans 'Dwarf Pink Fairy' this year. Easy from seed. Texas bluebonnets should do well in VA, right?

Pic: the power of purple. more lupine with Spanish lavender in the background. Pic from last week.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9131743

I've heard about the Pacific North Wet, "Enjoy Washington weather -- ten million slugs can't be wrong!" We were talking about it on another forum, the thread was about slugs but it really was not a real thread just a garden tip about how to get rid of them.

I hope the Lupines do good, there is one that is native. How can it be native if you never ever see any? The nights are not cool here, also it's very humid and I hear they really don't like that. I see plenty of days when I go to bed, it's still 85 and when I wake up it's only 75, oh gosh if it's that hot at 5 in the morning you know it will be a scorcher.

Love the Purple Smoke and I must check-out the 'Dwarf Pink Fairy' sounds beautiful. :)
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9131856

LOL! I totally forgot about the slugs! Yes those are a big pest, too. I fed a huge monster (?like four inches long) to my chickens yesterday that I found in my greenhouse. The chickens fought over it.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9131886

WOW!! That is HUGE! LOL! That bad-boy could probably eat a Hosta in one night, you wake up and the thing is just gone, chewed to the soil. LOL!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9132617

Echinacea 'Merlot' with Agastache, Coreopsis, and Russian Sage. Echinacea ' Tomato Soup' is in the background too but it's so small!

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9132834

Man, you leave this thread for several hours and boom--it's a lot longer--but I do enjoy reading and looking at all the pictures. Keep them coming!

virginia: Yes, I think the Pestemon grandaflorus is pretty. I have about a dozen that I have started from seed. I also have Penstemon cobaea blooming in my garden that I started from seed last year. I am surely enjoying it.

echinaceam: Ah, some of my favorite flowers. Pretty.

Here's my Penstemon cobaea with poppy and larkspur.

Thumbnail by birder17   Thumbnail by birder17

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9133034

I like that and the popies do brighten things up! Do they bloom all summer?

Clint, maybe you should plant Echinacea 'Merlot' by it self, it really steals the show! Other plants? What other plants? :)
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9133052

I know. When I divided that from the mother plant, I didn't think it would grow. It just looks so happy. LOL. The black stems are beautiful. I'd love to have a white Coneflower with black stems too.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9133081

Yes! Very cool and very different. Sigh :)
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9137581

Allium schubertii and an artemesia

Thumbnail by jmorth

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9137650

Jmorth, very cool! I love those "starburst" alliums. Like alien things that have descended to earth.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9137678

I love the starburst alliums too. They remind me of the fireworks on the 4th of July.

I love the combination both in color and in form of Clematis Durandii and Maltese Cross.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9137691

A crazy bundle of allium christophii, campanula Bernice, and lilium Rosepoint Lace.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9141502

These two plants were meant for each other. Echinacea 'Pow Wow Wild Berry' and Agastache 'Golden Jubilee.'

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9142350

Purple Bee Balm, yellow Coreoptis, purple Salvia and white yarrow. The coreoptis spread out on it's own to frame the bee balm. I love the effect it gives!!

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9142354

Like that one!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9142684

Those are just beautiful. :)
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9142946

Beautiful Pepper and Echinaceamaniac! Pepper---do you know what variety of bee balm that is? I like the height, color, etc
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9143970

The monarda is Prairie Gypsy. I had to dig around to find the tag. Got buzzed for it but luckily not stung. lol
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9144164

Thank you! Very sweet of you to check for me. Prairie gypsy is a beauty!
maithyme
Andover, MN
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9144260

These are two of my favorites. Queen of the Prairie and Monarda Blue Stocking and Joe Pye and Valerian.

Nice photos everyone; wellcome back spring.

Thumbnail by maithyme   Thumbnail by maithyme

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9145183

This is allium past bloom with iris Ring Around Rosie

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9145195

Very nice comboc everyone.
I like these,new combos iris with Maynight
oops

Thumbnail by ge1836

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9145222

Ge, it doesn't matter that the alliums are "past it". They still look great.

Maithyme, wonderful texture in your plantings. I LOVE texture!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9145370

Have you ever spray painted the Alliums? I saw someone cut a slit in cardboard and hold it under the bloom and spray paint them. It really looks good. She did red, white and blue ones for the 4th. She did them while they are still in the garden.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9145571

I did mine pink last year. this year, I'll do purple. they looked good all summer this way. Lots of comments and questions from people on them. You don't need to bother with the cardboard. barely any gets on the stems.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9145691

I will be lucky to deadhead and clean up in there .No paint projects for me.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9145725

Gosh, I was looking hard for the purple sensation, didn't realize I could just paint them. I think I would like to get those real big globe kind in white and paint them something different each year, starting with hot pink!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9145899

Don't paint until they are a nice firm ball of seedheads and have lost their blooms. I was worried it would look tacky in the garden, but it looks surprisingly natural.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9146875

Sure thing, thanks! :)
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9147799

Salvia pratensis 'Sweet Esmeralda' backed by camelot series digitalis.

Pic taken today.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 10:39 AM

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9147803

Johnny jump ups (these pop up like crazy in my yard and bloom for months and months) with a bird's nest spruce. (Picea abies 'Nidiformis')

Pic taken today.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 10:36 AM

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 10:38 AM

Thumbnail by kosk0025

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9147828

I really love birds nest spruce but it did not like me or my yard. I have Johnnie jump-up seedlings everywhere also!! Love your salvia and digitalis.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012

Post #9152591

Caroline, thanks for posting the Maltese Cross. I have started it from seed this year. I like the chromatic colors. I thought it was going to be a solid warm red. The Clematis durandii looks nice with it.
I also have the Clematis durandii. I get it mixed up with Clematis roguchi. They are totally different shapes but the color is similar. The C. roguchi is a real tough one. I don't do anything to it and it grows very well.
Here's Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt and Salvia 'Victoria Blue' The VB comes back every year, re-seeds plentifully, goes with so many colors of flowers, works as a good filler, and is just a down right pretty color of blue! (a little partial!)
Editied: Whoops! That's a blue iris in the background. Wrong pic.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 8:17 PM

Thumbnail by birder17

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9152617

Here's the peony and salvia:

Thumbnail by birder17

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9152789

Holy Cow...I got lost...lol. Forgive?????

birder...That is one I've never grown, YET. Boy, if that color is true, wow, what a stunner. A grayed down lavender (2nd pix), very pretty. I could see it with Centaurea montana Amethyst in Snow, Santolina virens (which is a deep saturated green, which when gently rubbed smells of lemon ( I digress), with a deep yellow flower), Centaurea phygria yellow, or the purple variety, with a backing of Gypsophila paniculata pink, and a soft yellow johnny-jump-up at it's front.

pix 1: boy wouldn't that be a stunner in this combo of lavender and the red rocket series of snapdragons, backed with white babys breath. I know, digressing again.
pix 2: centaurea phygria yellow
pix 3: centaurea phygria purple
pix 4: Centaurea montana Amethyst in Snow
pix 5 : Viola johnny-jump-up, or lighter yet

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012

Post #9153309

Carolyn: You asked Clint for tips on growing Penstemon. I am not Clint, but I have pretty good success growing Penstemon from seed.
1. Penstemon seed has to be stratified for several weeks--a minimum of three weeks in the refrigerator. Some require eight weeks. I put my seed in the refrigerator for the directed amount of time.
2. They also require light to germinate so barely cover the seeds. I use a seed starting medium, and sprinkle the seed on top. Then barely cover the seeds with the seed starting medium. It's important to use a seed starting mix because you don't want the soil to be too "heavy" or too moist.
3. Temperature should be 45 to 65 degrees. I Winter Sow the seeds in milk jugs and set them outside on my south facing deck and let Mother Nature do the rest.
4. Germination takes place in two to three weeks. So, I allow myself 14 weeks before last frost date which means ordering your Penstemon seeds early.
5. I transplant them in single cell containers moving them up one more time as they grow. I have the best luck planting my perennials in the fall--early enough to give them time to get their roots established. I have purchased seed from Swallowtail Seeds and from Eden Brothers (cheaper per cost of seed and cheaper per shipping and handling.)
6. I have read if the seed doesn't germinate, you can let everything dry out and start over: refrigerate-then go outside, but I have not had to do this.

Here's some Penstemon digitalis--the box on the right. I had already taken many plants out of the container.
It's probably way more than you wanted to know.

Thumbnail by birder17

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9153352

Kathy: If you are referring to the color of the Salvia 'Victoria Blue', the color is correct. As I said, I am partial to this plant-and so easy to grow.
Here it is with a couple of other plants:
1. Rudbeckia and Salvia VB
2. Daylily and Salvia VB

Thumbnail by birder17   Thumbnail by birder17

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9153578

I am goin to ad Victoria Blue to my list.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9153623

Birder

I am sorry about that...

I have 1 penstemon that I started from seed a number of years ago - other than that, I cannot get the seed to germinate. When I have bought whole plants from the nursery, I lose them. I seem to do better with other plants.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9153965

birder, ooops, I was referring to Salvia grandiflorus, one I have not grown and would love too. Sorry, I was starting at the beginnning of the thread, never made it past your question to me yet, lol.

Yes I also love Salvia Victoria Blue, which is also available in white. Rarely do they overwinter for me tho.

Carolyn: have you tried growing them indoors under lights? That's how I start most of my seeds, with exceptions, (those that I know which reseed in the garden), and annuals that can be seeded outside. I only have 2 that reseed in the garden for me: Penst. strictus Rocky Mountain Blue, pix 1. The other is Penst. Red Rocks, pix 2. My penst. Pike's Peak Blue has yet to ever reseed. My new aquisition of Penst. palmerii is new last spring and should bloom this season, can hardly wait, it's pink, FRAGRANT, and can get to 5-6 foot tall. It's native in the southern climes of Colorado, and New Mexico, available from High country Gardens .com.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9154153

I love growing Salvia Victoria White, Salvia Reference, and Salvia Strata together in pots.

I do find that it self seeds, coming back year after year. Here it is in the ground, transplanted from seedlings several years before.

I love it with parsley. So do my buds here. Munching on the parsley.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9154183

Kathy

I have tried growing the seeds under lights as well. I have no problem with the penstemon barbatus coccineus, but the rest just don't seem to take for me. That is fine though - as I have many other flowers that seem to grow without any problems.

Donna -

I love the salvias as well and have them all over the place. Are your caterpillars from last Fall? I planted parsley last year and have read that both the black swallowtail and the anise swallowtail include parsley as one of it's host plants. I put in parsley last year and will plant it again next year for these little beauties.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9154258

I grew this penstemon Husker Red from seed last year. I kept the seeds in the in a damp paper towel for 6 weeks before sowing and had very good results. It's with Heuchera Coral Charm, Nepeta Walkers Low behind.

Pic2 Geum Totally Tangerine, Heuchera Palace Purple, Stachys- I got the Geum last year, this is its first flowering for me, and I'm madly in love.

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9154261

I love Geum also but it isnt a great shower eher.I think mine is in the wrong place.
Bloody Mary
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9154295

Another view of Husker with Dianthus Arctic Fire, also from seed last year.

Veronica Incana pure Silver, Cerastium tomentosum (seed last year), and Lavender Munstead

This is the first Geum I've ever really liked. It's the most exciting color and most profuse bloom by far. Supposedly it goes all summer, but that remains to be seen.

Pam

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9154355

Beautiful pics. I love all salvias and penstemons. I have one geum that I got on clearance last fall that is supposed to make red flowers. Excited to see it bloom. It's in my red, yellow, and orange bed near gaillardia, crocosmia, rudbeckia 'prairie sun'.

Kathy---that was an excellent, excellent tutorial on cold moist stratification. Super helpful. Thank you.

Fine Gardening did an article 2 issues back where they compared/tested every geum in existence. Very enjoyable.

Pic: barberry, euonymus, Nepeta 'Walker's Low', and an evergreen shrub.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 5:41 AM

Thumbnail by kosk0025

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9154375

Nice foliage colors.

I used to grow Salvia Victoria every year. Then I started collecting Veronicas and perennial Salvias and thought that was enough. But Vicky is such a great filler while waiting for the others to fill in, I think I'll have to start using it again. And I looooove the combination of the 3, how gorgeous!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9155926

Hey, Carolyn, don't apologize! I just didn't want to butt in on the Penstemon seed. Just one more comment re: growing Penstemon. You have to have very good drainage. I put mine on a slope. Penstemon can't stand to have the roots kept wet.
Okay, two comments on Penstemon. :) I have Penstemon 'Huskers Red'. The blooms were so prolific, the stems couldn't hold them up. I s/h staked them. I thought H. R. was one that was supposed to have strudy enough stems they wouldn't have t/b staked. I will know to stake them next year. My Penstemon cobeae ended up toppling also. We were on vacation, and I think we must have some strong winds as some of my lilies were knocked over as well. Unless, of course, it was the ornery deer.
I have daylilies edgeing my yard between the "wild forest area and beyond" and the landscaped lawn area. I noticed they had gone along the edge and clipped off the blooms to the daylilies. Grrr! They also had walked through my okra bed--deep holes in my garden and several plants missing. I will have to re-seed the okra.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9156005

Carolyn, for give me for not answering about the caterpillars. Getting old and didn't see it.

I grew parsley years ago and it spread everywhere. Which I LOVE! The rabbits would bite off the tops so it wouldn't bloom. If it doesn't bloom it doesn't die. Then when there were so many plants they could not nip them all, a number of them started flowering. Do be patient - there has to be quite a bit of it to attract them. This was three years after planting.

It's a gorgeous ground cover plant that spreads without being invasive.

These pictures are from early June over a three year period. I am now trying to establish it in my new yard, where I have the rose Marchesa Bocchella and allium Christophii.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

mclowdis
Minneola, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9156289

One of my favorite compinations which includes Candle Larkspur (Delphinium grandiflorum), Pincushion Flower (Scabiosa columbaria), and Gordon Biggs Daylily (for some reason it shows up very faded in my soil/climate).

Thumbnail by mclowdis   Thumbnail by mclowdis

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9156628

Donna

I wondered if the parsely didn't flower, that I could keep it. Mine is getting ready to flower, so I need to cut the flowers back. Thank you for the heads up on that one!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9156654

Carolyn,

Do cut back at least some of the flowers. But leave a few for our caterpillar friends, and for seeding in future years.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9156666

combos for today

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9156696

GE- beautiful! Is the #2 Husker and a Veronica? I just love that combo!
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9156699

Mclowdis, how the heck do you get delphiniums to grow in Ks?
I can't grow one to save my life around here.
I blamed the heat, but you're ruining my theory.
What's the deal?
I only succeeded once in coaxing out a flower - I was so proud, I took a picture.
(Don't laugh, please...)
Looks a little pitiful in comparison with yours!

Thumbnail by Weerobin

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9156720

I just found another.Campanula Blue Waterfalls ( Bluestone perens ) and Heuchera Stoplight

The Salvia or veronica Eveline( never can remember which ) is with Sedum Postmans Pride. I gave PP another year to shape up or it would get tossed.

Thumbnail by ge1836

mclowdis
Minneola, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9157095

Weerobin wrote:Mclowdis, how the heck do you get delphiniums to grow in Ks?
I can't grow one to save my life around here.
I blamed the heat, but you're ruining my theory.
What's the deal?
I only succeeded once in coaxing out a flower - I was so proud, I took a picture.
(Don't laugh, please...)
Looks a little pitiful in comparison with yours!

To be honest I'm not that sure, this is my second year of gardening. I didn't know they didn't grow well here. I take care of it with full sun, sprinkle on slow release fertilizer every three months, and water by soaker hose at least three times a week.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9157726

GE, I got Veronica Eveline last year at the end of bloom, and it hasn't started yet this year. I hope it looks as good as yours when it gets going. But that's a SEDUM?! Yikes! The colors are great together, but for a sedum it's quite wimpy. I wonder why?

I do love seeing all the combos, so inspiring!

Pam

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9157787

Pfg: as stated above that sedum was given a third chance after I planted it in the wrong place. It needs more sun than it was getting.
I think it takes a long time to get going,this is the second year in tha garden where I have it.
There are 2 moe dark sedums with it just incase.They are small and dont really show.
The eveline was planted in 2010.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9157795

Found this fav from last year
FataMorgana and xones Summer Sky

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9157809

Took these yesterday when sun was in the camera
NO !!I was not having a special moment with one of those religeous movies of the 60's with Rock Hudson."Magnificent Obcession" I think.

Thumbnail by ge1836

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9157879

In this picture the little bit of sun helps to show off the bed, I think it is a great photo!! :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9158513

It's very beautiful!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9158846

Thanks. It's really full of atmosphere

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9160316

I love this campanula
Blue Waterfalls

Thumbnail by ge1836

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9160388

Very beautiful, got to get some of that!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9160390

Bluestone.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9161134

Thanks! :))
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9161520

This 'Merlot' Bearded iris fell over into the Armeria. I left it there because it looked so terrific.

Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9161584

That looks so good. I can tell the weather there is nice. Here is a combination I like right now. It's Aralia 'Sun King' and some woodland Phlox that blooms over and over without stopping.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9161663

That does look good. Cant grow armeria here for anything.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9161994

I really like that Sun King, might need to get some of that!
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 12, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9163107

http://cubits.org/notfortheserious/thread/view/66519/
Hellebores for the winter days. Mamajack co-op

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9164718

I am not bright enough to create an picasa album so Its another smilebox
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49774d6a59354d6a673d0d0a&blogview=true
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9165413

Don't apologize- I love your smilebox slide shows! And the gardens look beautiful, your combinations are really effective. Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure your guests will love it too.

Btw, I tried to find that dwarf Achillea Desert Eve Cream, but it's sold out. There's always next year...

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9165821

It's new that generally happens.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9165976

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49774e444d314e54593d0d0a&blogview=true
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9166898

My coreopsis Center stage with Leatris and some annuals. Also a lonly gentleman Bill McKenley dahlia . I think dahlias are early this year. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9166906

My cottage garden combination. My sister said it is like a jungle. I like it.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9166936

Love your flowers and your garden, Etelka.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9166991

Etelka, can't believe anyone would call that a jungle! It's quite pretty.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
1:23 AM

Post #9167186

Etelka I like the full look.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012

Post #9167269

When I stand in the middle of my grassy area, I am about 30 feet from everything, I think I will put my chair in the middle and enjoy. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9167272

Very beautiful Etelka, I love the pots in a cottage garden. :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9167305

That's a gorgeous garden, Etelka, and you deserve time out in a chair to enjoy it all.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9167332

Please yourself Etelka.I cant think of any endevor that requires such hard work and long wait for results.Enjoyment is in proportion. Sit and enjoy.
I had a Garden Party yesterday. Serves Butterfly and Bee cookies.

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9167391

How sweet is that? You're a great gardener, Jo Ann.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9167422

Hi Pirl.Thanks.Its really hot here today .I will be inside most of the day.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9167616

Too hot for me so I just came inside for some relief. You've really made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, Jo Ann.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9167646

I am inside to after finishing almost all my planed jobs. Yesterday I bought me a VCR and DVD player and bought some old VCR tapes. I figured I can hook up all the different wires on the machine, it took me a while but finnaly I was watching the tape on The Grand Canyon It is breathtakingly beutiful and dangerous to go on those trails with a donkey. This is sometining new for me, but I guess I can pick up tapes for a 1.00 and feel like I have been traveling someplace. This country is very beutiful, forget London and Paris. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9167651

So glad to hear you say it, Etelka! We've been to the Grand Canyon and it is gorgeous even in the snow. A former boss always told me to see America first and he was right. There's beauty in every state and our National Parks are such pleasures.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9167655

Don't forget the internet, you can see a lot of breathtaking pictures and videos there also. :))

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-breathtaking-nature-photography/
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9167656

Thank you Virginia, the pictures are breathtaking.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9168294

kiseta..wait til everything knits itself together...it'll be a regular English cottage style border!!! Fabulous.

I must say...it's so much fun to see others photos...Think I'll get me some of that Campanula!!!!!

And I just love the sunray pix !!!!!Someones shinning on you !!!

pix1: Gypsophila repens, creeping baby's breath; and Johnny Jump Ups, They have reseeded themself around the border with a bit of encougagment, lol.
pix2: A bouquet I made up for garden club last week, just before the Iris finished for the year, wish the rebloomers (Iris)worked here.

Many things are goofed up for bloom times this year, and still a little early, new groups of flowers are beginning to strut there stuff, this next week they should really begin blooming their heads off.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9168330

The whacky spring has made bloom changes for us but there is always next year, At least there are some things blooming even if they are out of synk.
JI's are starting here. All of them are shorter than last year but they are blooming.
I enjoy Prairy Glory from Pirl a few years ago.

Thumbnail by ge1836

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9169237

kosk0025 - if you are still watching this thread, do you have a photo of your bird's nest spruce? From a little bit away so I can see the whole bush. I took over an island planting in my garden club and one of the 3 low evergreen shrubs needs to be replaced. We're not sure what they are, but from the photo you posted I'm thinking it might be the bird's nest spruce. Thanks
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9170912

JoAnn, So, what did you do at your garden party? And, who did you invite, gardeners? I have thought about doing a garden party or a afternoon tea, but haven't figured out what to "do".
It's pretty hot to be out touring the garden these days: 95 degrees. We did have some breeze so that helped.
I'm still planting flowers--ones that I grew from seed. I planted a bunch of Digitalis 'Glittering Prizes". It's new to me this year, but I have to say they are the most robust digitalis I have ever seen. They're suppose to get 5 or 6 feet tall.
We took the plants out of one of flower beds and worked in a bunch of peat moss. The soil is so nice now. We're putting in a few stepping stones. I put in Lily 'Anastasia", Digitalis 'Glittering Prizes' and Nepeta 'Walkers Low'.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012

Post #9171124

I am not in the best physical shape so I make a gathering as easy as possible.
The women who came are former neighbors and old friends.There were about 17.
I have the party after 1:00 so I dont have to serve a meal and no one has to bring potluck.
I serve cookies and bought a fruit bowl for those who dont want sugar,they bring what they want to drink
I use plastic and have a big waste can for trash and another smaller one for empty recyclables.
.My cousin thinks I am crazy for serving anything she has people over to see the gardens at her house and all they do is sit and gaze and chat.

I dont go out at night to events and many of my friends are in mid 70's so they dont go out either.
I never have people over for dinner so this is a chance for old friends to get together.All these people are on a "group mail" list for regular albums of the gardens.
I have been asked to do a public tour but the liability factor turns me off.
It would also mean uber weeding,washing stuff,sweeping every speck of dirt off the paths and making sure plant supports dont show.
No thanks.
I took 2 naps the next day.
I love these women and really enjoy seeing all of them.It really is a pleasure and they forgive a weed or two here and there.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9171161

Bunch of pix from today

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9171195

All the pix from today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e4449784e7a513d0d0a&blogview=true

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9171291

Great pix! Love those Tiger Babies! :)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9171322

They are a sweet pachy color. Shorter this year as I transplanted them last fall.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9172342

Pic 1 is Veronica Incana Pure Silver, Lavender Munstead, both first year.

Pic 2 is an idea I got last fall while I was moving what seemed like every plant in the garden: yellow foliage, pink and creamy yellow and white flowers. Earlier there was a lot of blue from the iris cristata and forget-me-nots. Later there will be 'white' daylilies, green and lime flowering nicotianas, and buttercream nasturtiums. Right now it's very pink.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9172424

combos for today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e5463344d44673d0d0a&blogview=true

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9172459

Pfg, love the little pink garden and the way different plants get to show-off at different times. :)

Jo Ann, great smilebox!!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9172769

Jo Ann - you just made me want some Japanese Irises. When is the best time to order those?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9172790

I cant really remember but I think late summer.Ask Pollyk
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9173669

JoAnn, thanks for the garden party info. It sounds pleasant. It sort of sounds like my mom's home extension club meetings. They had so much fun at the meetings.
I don't think I could pull off any kind of garden party to tour my gardens - they always seem to be in need of weed pulling, thinning, or something. I think they would have to be pretty perfect for guests.
I guess I need to think about David Nelson's song, "Garden Party": "Can't please everyone so you got to please yourself" and not worry so much about the gardens being perfect! Ha!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9173831

Thats why the party is made up of old friends,they forgive.
I havnt heard of the Home Extension Club in 50 years

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9173883

June 21 a short album
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e7a4d304d6a413d0d0a&blogview=true

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9173948

Love those Japanese Iris!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9173966

I concur.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9173976

It's been a fantastic year for JI's!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9174041

Oh Pirl! How gorgeous they are! I don't have iris, and when I see pics like this I can't figure out why. Perhaps because I am in an older neighborhood and most houses have bearded iris, and they seem so huge. Yours look far more delicate.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9174062

Pirl those are just lovely.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9174291

Love those Japanese irises. I had some a few years ago, but they slowly disappeared over the years. Will have to get some more.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9174378

Thanks for the compliments.

JI's are sometimes referred to as "floating butterflies" and with a breeze in the air it's easy to understand. The center photo is of Ocean Mist and we've measured it as 12" across.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9174420

I had to check it gain.Its so ethereal.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9174510

I love the idea of the blooms being that huge. I have an 'Incrediball' Hydrangea. I think those would look good near it! Thanks for posting those! I have seen them at botanic gardens before and thought you had to have a pond for them to stay wet, but I guess that's not the case!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9174572

Absolutely dont ned wet.Mine are in clay with supliments of compost.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9174659

A few more...

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9174708

What is the name of the first one.Looks like mine I might have misslabled.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9174727

Thoroughbred from Eartheart Gardens in Maine. Just three petals but very tall (37") and elegant.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9174909

That's it. What's a good mail order source? LOL.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9174958

Greywood Farm/Darlyn Wilkinson http://greywoodfarm.squarespace.com/previous-ji-introductions/

Eartheart Gardens/Sharon Whitney http://www.eartheartgardens.com/

The above are my two personal favorites. Every plant they sent in spring blooms the same year - no waiting three, four or more years to get bountiful blooms.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9174968

Wow...such beautiful iris ladies.
ge...Thanks to you I ended up getting one of those Campanula Blue Waterfalls from a local nursery. Hope it turns out at nice as your.
Early bloomers are done now and just waiting for more things to get going...

pix 1:Here my first, gosh not sure if it's a sib or japanese, lol
pix 2: Lilium pumilum at 18"
pix 3: anyone recognize this plant, is it a weed or perenn?
pix 4: Armeria maritima Bee's Hybrids, at 18-24" tall, grown from seed ( and if correct pix Knautia macedonica dark red)
pix5: Iris g. Denver Delight

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9175295

Is that some kind of Amaranth?

Thanks for all the tips about where to get the Iris!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9175399

You wont regret getting Blue Waterfalls. It behaves itself and makes babbies for transplanting elsewhere in the garden.
I have one baby from this spring,in a planter.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012

Post #9175508

Is Blue Waterfalls a JI or a SI? I think the Siberian might do better here. I do like the idea of babies. :)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9175606

Blue Waterfalls is a campanula that is low and spreads.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9175691

Oh, thanks. :)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9175761

Bluestone has it or check Plant Scout.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9175813

Bluestone has it, I put it on my wish list. Hope they have another sale very soon!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9175923

It's Campanula poscharskyana Blue Waterfall, (say that one 3 times real fast)... I got one at my local nursery for about $6, (quart size).

If that's an Amaranth, would it be considered a weed or perenn? And will it reseed too much or is it nice? lol.

One of my shrub clems
another shrub clematis

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9176184

That reminds me to check my infant Petite
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9177272

I consider Amaranth a nice annual that turns out to be a perennial due to seeding. I love them and so do the birds when they go to seed. NICE Clematis!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9183048

From today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49794e5467344d44413d0d0a&blogview=true

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9183462

Just love your smilebox!!!!!! And wow to your watercolor!!!! Please show us more, especially of watercolors from your garden..I am wanting to do this in the future and would love to get inspired!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9183625

Those are sweet pansies
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9184184

Woooeeeee!!! First clematis bloom, Sizaja Ptitsa, along with a solitary leftover Geranium Johnson's Blue. G Rozanne will soon fill in, in case SP decides to honor my garden with more beauties.
Veronica Red Fox, after many divisions, is finally covering some ground, here with Armeria and Sempervivum Red Cobweb.

Great Smilebox, ge... I hope you post the painting when it's finished.
Lovely pansies, WW...

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9184304

Pfg,thanks.There are a dozen problems I need to fix before its finished.Dont stand on one leg waiting.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9184573

Lol... Take your time! There's no way to rush art, but the preliminary looks great.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012

Post #9184897

Its done
Chiyo-no-Haru- "onethousand springs"

Thumbnail by ge1836

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9184995

Bravo! It's beautiful!
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 29, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9186653

I can't zero in on favorite perennial combinations, but I do have favorite fotos of great combinations. Here's one, lupines and day liliies.

LAS

Thumbnail by LAS14

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9186816

Very Pretty!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9187102

I agree,good choice.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9187133

mostly lilies
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49794f5463784d44513d0d0a&blogview=true

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9187959

Beautiful ge! Love that Yarrow with the Lilies and also the Drumstick Allium and the Helios. :)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9188444

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a497a4d4467354e54673d0d0a&blogview=true
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

July 1, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9189002

Shasta Becky with Coreopsis Cosmic Eye with Big Blue Sea Holly:

Thumbnail by rouge21

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9189110

I had Coreopsis Cosmic Eye last year but it did not come back this Spring. Only the Center stage and Route 66 came back and they got very large. This is the first year I have grown Shasta Daysies, and I like them, hope to divide them in the Spring. Here is Center Stage coreopsis and two clematis. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9189173

I really like that Coreopsis Cosmic Eye!

Etelka, what is the purple clematis called? Nice garden. :)

ge, nice smilebox!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9189225

Virginiarose, the name is HF Young. I got two at Lowe's last year and this year they have been blooming a lot, even in this heat they are full of buds. Also my Sunset is having a lots of new growth, next week I will have new babies. First is Sunset the other two are HF Young this Spring. Etelka

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
2:14 AM

Post #9189470

I had heard some varieties of coreopsis were hard to establish.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012

Post #9189530

blooms from today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a497a4d6a49794e6a6b3d0d0a&blogview=true

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9189624

Thank you Etelka!!

Great smilebox ge!! As far as Coreopsis, I only have had Moonbeam and it was easy and it also has the longest bloom time, or so I have heard. I would like to try a few others next year.

susan
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9220422

While I've enjoyed looking at all the photo's there have been several that have really caught my eye since I may be able to use them in my garden.

birder17, peony and salvia vb!
Donnamack, white and blue salvia!
pfg, clematis with roxanne geranium. I just got roxanne and put it by walkers low salvia ... BIG mistake. It bloomed but was overtaken by the walkers low.
rouge21: Shasta Becky with Coreopsis Cosmic Eye with Big Blue Sea Holly ... very interesting ... first time I've liked big blue sea holly in a combo. You may just have convinced me it is worth growing. lol
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9220447

1-Clematis Ernest Markam with old red rose. clematis - clematis jackmanii supra with New Dawn climbing rose.
2- fern with ox eyed daisy. not so great of a pic. they were past their prime.
3- white lilies with hosta. They really brighten up this dark garden.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals   Thumbnail by toofewanimals   Thumbnail by toofewanimals

toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9220473

2009 cottage garden, a tall blue salvia(don't know name), salvia Caradonna (dark purple), walkers low. Lavender.
Lots of different dianthus. the big dark pink groups of dianthus is amazon dianthus.Purple sedum close to the post. galardia, liatris, veronica purple candles and others. Turns out one side bloomed earlier than the other.

After not doing anything to this garden for 3 years ... no watering, no fertilizing. Most of the dianthus has died out, the sedum is gone along with the Helenium (Sneezeweed). The Lavender and walkers low are taking over. The purple cone flower blooms but is not spreading. The Galardia is still holding its own.

I would really like to work in some shorter daisy and replant the dianthus.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals   Thumbnail by toofewanimals

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9222081

toofewanimals, great pictures, you are right about the white lilies. They sure brighten up a shady spot. Love your gardens, it's all so Cottage!! :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9222086

toofew, all the pictures are great, and the white lilies are a fabulous choice.
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9222089

I had meant to post this earlier this summer (I hope I didnt already put it on DG in another thread)

Veronica Royal Candles (I especially love this plant) with a Kniphofia of some sort and finally Dianthus Heart Attack:

Thumbnail by rouge21

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9222092

rouge: I have Royal Candles and just love it.I like the combo you have.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9222161

Beautiful scene, rouge!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9223058

Love the Veronica Royal Candles!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9223131

Kiseta...just a hint...divide those daisies late summer or early fall, they'll still have time to settle back in and next spring you'll be suprised at how large your 2 (or more) clumps have become. In fact you could redivide come early spring and then have even more...Daisies can fill in fast. I did this with the daisies at my daughters house and now look. (normally they are 48"^, but dry year and are much shorter at 30-36", am thinking they are Becky).

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9223148

Here's one from early spring, I like how the jj's reseeded themselves in.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9223239

nice pix of iris and jj's

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9223262

I love the jj's with yellow or purple Irises. Really makes them pop and so easy, like you say they reseed easily and they are a nice surprise whenever they pop up.
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9224722

rouge, wonderful combo. Each one separate and yet making the other pop! The Kniphofia really lets you see the Dianthus Heart Attack, otherwise it would be lost in the back. I love V. royal candles too, I have a short row of it in the front of one of my gardens. I was going to make a complete border with it, but decided it didn't last long enough. You might like Veronica 'Giles Van Hees' ***** http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57842/*****.

warrior - love the JJ and iris combo. I never seem to to be able to get JJ's to grow well and forget about reseeding ... what is the secret?
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9224735

I loved this Rose of Sharon leaning over the Japanese Maple.
the R of S died after about 15 years ... not sure what stressed her out.
We decided to put Fire bushes where she was ... not a good decision ... they are too protected to turn a flaming red. :o)

Thumbnail by toofewanimals   Thumbnail by toofewanimals

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9224949

toofewanimals wrote:rouge, wonderful combo. Each one separate and yet making the other pop! The Kniphofia really lets you see the Dianthus Heart Attack, otherwise it would be lost in the back.

Good analysis "toofewanimals".

toofewanimals wrote:rI love V. royal candles too, I have a short row of it in the front of one of my gardens. I was going to make a complete border with it, but decided it didn't last long enough.

Oh I don't find that at all with my RC. For me they flower for about 5 weeks starting in early June and once they are done I immediately shear them and...so by early August they again put out more flowers. Now these second flush flowers are more stubby than those in the first go but they are still worth it. Here is a picture of that second go round I took a couple of days ago.

toofewanimals wrote:You might like Veronica 'Giles Van Hees'

Thanks for the suggestion but I removed two of a sport of GVH about a month ago (Veronica 'Sweet Lullaby') as it takes too long to grow to produce flowers and is too small for my liking. And as I recall GVH is not a lot taller.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9226496

Just to let you ladies know I grow Veronica spicata (Sight Seeing, was a mix of pink, white and blue, at 28", the tallest on the market)..I found that if I want continuous bloom it's important to take some cuttings, ( ie for bouquets), and every week cut a few more stalks. Hence you will get continuous bloom from late spring to fall, this works with any long bloomer, so make your self a bouquet!!!! I also cut low and make the stems as long as possible. This also helps the plants to develop more stems and alot less of the candleabra effect. I hope the pix below show the difference. Thought I lost all my pinks one but saw one out there that had reseeded from one of the blues. (origional seed was from about 10-15 years ago. and I'm thinking I have a white one left at my daughters that needs to come home with me this year...(I need the seed), lol...If anyone would like to try them from seed d-mail me, I just checked...those I didn't deadhead (blue) have some seed now and occasionally they do reseed a little in the garden so could be sown insitu or indoors under lights...

And a relative that I've grown, (just got some new ones last summer, can be hard to locate) is Veronicatrum virginianum, a veronica on stilts at 48"+.. Again pink, white and blue. With the drought that I had earlier this season it doesn't look like it will do much of anything this year...darn!!!!

toofew...I started my origional jjs (tricolor, now multicolors) from seed in a tray of 72 (under lights in winter), planted them out in the border that spring and have had them now for several years. I let them reseed on their own or if I want to spread them to other areas I pinch the full seed pods , pop them open and sprinkle about hoping they will take. Right now they are a bit sad looking as they need to be deadheaded so they will continue blooming...I located some orange and yellow solid colors that I'm adding to the border in a week or so, (when I can get back to planting, lol...busy, busy, busy...

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9226776

I love the celebration of the color blue!

And I am very grateful for your suggestions about cutting yourself a bouquet and insuring continual bloom. I have a billion vases. Why didn't I think of this?! I will do it, starting today.

Thank you!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 6:50 AM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9226778

Echies Harvest Moon
Phlox nikki

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9227570

Yes Donna, be kind to yourself, we should probably all do alittle more for ourselves...And yes I do have a bit of blue and purple going on in my garden, lol...I'm trying to find some reds that are on the blue side of the color wheel, to go with the pinks, whites and varying shades of blue and purple. Eventually I will make a border of the hotter colors: red/orange, deep yellow golds, orange, and chartreuce (sp). And the most important of all, FRAGRANCE, just love it...

ge...Harvest Moon, that's one of those new ones? And I just love the color on that phlox, mine are mostly white and a few light pinks. Reallly says, HELLO, I'M HERE!!!! Fabulous...

Pix is Hesperis matronalis or false phlox, the fragrance is equisite!!!!!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9227651

Our color schemes are identical: blue, purple, white, pink and and throw in a pop of red or fuschia (sp?). I use reds by including roses. I had several red reblooming roses at my home, and I am adding them back, especially Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I can't have as many grasses, but reblooming red roses help a lot.

I started out with classic blue and white, which I just love. Traditionally yellow was added to this but I love red and pink.

Some of the roses from the house: Quadra, on the trellis, Morden Blush, and Heritage.

And there is nothing quite like a scented white rose - Glamis Castle.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012

Post #9227838

Kathy: That is Phlox Nikky,its a tall one eventually.Just planted it this spring.It will mature with the echies Harvest Moon and Hot Summer. It should have a visual punch.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9232578

Nice photos, everyone.

I always try to pick most of my flowers when they are slightly past their prime, but will still look OK in a vase. That is my main mode of deadheading and I bring my bouquets in to work. They normally last about 3-4 days.

Here is a combo that I noticed the other day. The yellow of the crocosmia in front is echoed by the yellow of the black eye susan. (or yellow echinacea - can't tell the difference between the two)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9236419

From a couple of weeks ago, you are looking at Thalictrum "Splendide" with Hydrangea "Quick Fire" (or is it "Fire and Ice"?) and Clematis "Polish Spirit" in the background.

Thumbnail by rouge21

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9236422

FIRST PHOTO: Shasta "Becky" with Phlox "Blue Paradise"

SECOND PHOTO: Yarrow + Coneflower + Sea Holly + a bit of "Banana Cream" Daisy and even a smidge of Veronica "Royal Candles"

Thumbnail by rouge21   Thumbnail by rouge21

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012

Post #9236430

Rogue,

They are all wonderful, but the combo with clematis literally made me gasp. That thalictrum is incredibly beautiful. I have several kinds of thalictrum but they are not like that! Would you kindly share its soil, growing conditions and ultimate height? I think that I am going to have to get it to go with my sweet autumn clematis, assuming that I can find it.

Donna
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9236923

Thanks Donna for your kind words.

I had heard so much about "Splendide" last summer but I didn't get around to finding one till late in the season. In fact it went into the ground at the end of October 2011!

Obviously it came up this spring. It is in a relatively shady location with dappled sun/shade most of the day...not much direct sun. In fact bet the plant would be more floriferous if it got more sun.

I made a point to always provide it with excellent soil and compost throughout the season and to keep it moist.

It is around 6.5 feet in height in this its first season and I have staked it since it was around 4 feet or so.

The flowers last a very long time. And even though it is very tall it can be placed much closer to the front of one's garden then one might think at first as it is quite light and 'airy'.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 3:12 PM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 3:33 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9237469

Well, you are certainly ahead of the curve. I had thalictrum rochebrunianum in my previous yard but I never used it with such imagination. Your garden must be wonderful.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9238673

I hope this works I have unlocked this album.Hope everyone can see it without a password.
[HYPERLINK@plus.google.com]
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9238679

DonnaMack wrote: Your garden must be wonderful.

Well Donna I only show you the good stuff :).

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9238818

The good stuff is REALLY good! Some of the best I've seen. Please keep it coming.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9239320

rougue21, wow, great pix. Just LOVE the thalictrum pix, and love Blue Paradise, yummy color. And the 2nd pix, wow that yarrow looks really red, is it? Or has it got a hint of orange, I got the Banana daisy also, wish they'ld breed one taller tho. NICE, NICE, photos.

Hey ge... I tried that link and ya need a password, phooey, love seeing other's pix. My garden looks a bit sparse to say the least, lol...They keep promising Rain!!!! Maybe by Wed., hope..hope!!!

This is Coreopsis grandiflora, grown from seed a few years ago, what astounded me was a few days ago I deadheaded more than 200 blossoms from this one plant, a few days later, another 100, 2 days later and it needs more again today, e-gads, talk about a blooming machine...

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 5:40 PM

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9239394

That's fantastic!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9239631

Sorry about the link.I have tried every setting and cant figure out how to make the picasa albums public.Here is a Smile box,somehow I knew I would need a back up.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49344e6a637a4f44453d0d0a&blogview=true
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9239747

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:rougue21, wow, great pix.

Thanks very much Kathy.

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:And the 2nd pix, wow that yarrow looks really red, is it?

It is red with yellow centres (Achillea ‘Strawberry Seduction’) http://www.perennials.com/plants/achillea-strawberry-seduction.html

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:I got the Banana daisy also,

I jumped on the band wagon a couple of falls back planting too many of these 'Banana Cream' Shasta Daisies as they were touted to be the newest best daisy around. I now think they are hideous. I have tried them out for now two summers. The bloom time is much too short; dead heading does absolutely nothing; the spent flowers look particularly 'ratty'. The only thing going for it from my perspective is the compact size!

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:rThis is Coreopsis grandiflora, grown from seed a few years ago, what astounded me was a few days ago I deadheaded more than 200 blossoms from this one plant,

Thanks for that picture kathy.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9241149

Just saw these
phlox orange perfection and salvia eveline
Lobelia ruby slippers and phlox blue paradise.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9241207

What diferance can two days of rain make. Everything is green and bushy, has to start some deadheading today. Etelka

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9242038

Link from a GF .
http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/?p=21201&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: gardeninggonewild/moEt (Gardening Gone Wild)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9243106

ge...wow...look at all those red plants..lol, I'm so lacking in red and attempting to find some (but only want red that leans to the blue side of the color wheel). Might have to look for some monarda, lol...I have a few red hollyhocks. Oh I almost forgot...I picked up a red Armeria, had never seen one before so I grabbed it...
Sure wish I could grow that lobelia, I've planted it a few time and poof over the winter (sob, sob, lol...). Is that garden yours? Wow great...
rougue..mine just started blooming (banana). So far only 2 blooms...it's been such a hard summer, many things I planted from quart pots last summer are just there and not doing much, many won't even bloom...
Kiseta...could you send that rain back this way...2 days of rain..amazing, would love it here!!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9243168

warrior,try Monarda Raspberry Wine.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9243170

I have some red Monarda, it had one bloom on it. It is spreading but not blooming. It is in full sun, so I am about to pull it up, or should I wait till next year. Etelka

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2012

Post #9246277

Nice morning for blooms
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49354d7a63324f54633d0d0a&blogview=true
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9246557

Wow...I just recently discovered this thread so I've been doing a lot of lurking at all the fabulously, gorgeous perennial combos. With our super hot and dry (until just recently) weather this Summer, many of my plants are not too happy. But I've been thoroughly enjoying all your beautiful photos...Thanks!

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONNA!!!!!! I hope your day is spectacular!

For your Birthday I hope you enjoy one of my favorite combos...Rudbeckia, Echinacea and Goldfinches (the bird, not a flower)...there's one on the Rudbeckia almost, but not quite, blending in.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9246577

Oh, lovely, nutsaboutnature. I love your combo. I love the goldfinch. Thank you for thinking of me.

Donna

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9246801

Happy Birthday Donna!!!!

Kiseta...I planted many things last fall and most didn't even bloom and it's not because they weren't old enough, just the heat and the drought...Next year tho...

I do have a new (from last fall), Eupatorium j. that is varigated and white blossoms just about open. (pix to come)

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012

Post #9247067

Lovely. Thank you!
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9249031

Best belated wishes DonnaMack.
J
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9249147

Thank you!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9249198

It is not a combination, but my Bottlebrush bush started to bloom for the third time this year. I always tought they only bloom once a year. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9250014

I thought you guys and girls would like to see this group of plants. I took this shot this morning.

There are too many to name but if you want to know a specific of course just ask.

Thumbnail by rouge21

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9250019

So beautiful, rouge! Is that a blue clematis near the top at the center? Which one? Tie Dye? It's fabulous.

Which blue phlox with the variegated foliage is it. Absolutely stunning. Love everything in your photo.
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9250040

pirl wrote: Is that a blue clematis near the top at the center? Which one? Tie Dye? It's fabulous.

You are correct pirl. It is a replacement "Tie Dye". The one I had last season bloomed beautifully and then very slowly withered away late last summer. It did survive the winter but there was something wrong and so I lost patience and replaced it with another "Tie Dye". It is doing well but I have my fingers crossed.

pirl wrote: Which blue phlox with the variegated foliage is it.

It is "Shockwave". I think it is a great variegated flower. I think the bloom colour complements the foliage rather than clashes as I have seen with other similar Phlox.

pirl wrote: Love everything in your photo.

There are for sure (too) many plants. But of course thank you very much.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9250062

Thank you for all the answers, Rouge. It's a wonderful photo and you do have beautiful plants there. Better to have so many lovely blossoms than leave room for nasty weeds to take up space.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9250119

Very nice phlox.The whole sceme is beautiful.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9250503

Ok...lol...name: the red rose.

I stopped at Lowes yesterday, gosh I'm naughty, lol...I picked up 5, yup 5 clems for $1 each...I just couldn't pass them up...naughty, naughty, naughty...(2 Victoria and 2 Honora and 1 ?.)

The other day I drove 60 miles to find some particular plants and found they had a $1 table...I was naughty there toooo!! LOL. I got Baptisia austraulis, Thermopsis (I hope montana, no tag so...), Platycodon Hakone Blue, mum Autumn Creacendo Series Pink, Helenium Redgold, Oenothara Avalanche, Thalictrum delvayi. And 3 more I have questions about...Veronica x Reavis Crystal River, anyone grown it and comments ... Next is Antirrhinum braun-bianquetii, a PERENNIAL snapdragon, I've seen a pix of the yellow but this one is orange, again input PLEASE. The last is Rosa wichurana white, says mini 1-1/2 " flowers and fragrant, tag says will grow to 4'x5'wide, got 2 and they are in 3" pots. Guess I've got a few years til they put on a good show? Any input on this or the others would be appreciated...Gosh I love great sales...Will be headed back there in a few weeks to see what else they've put on that table..Yikes! Anyone else do things like this? Kathy

Pix is limonium latifolium or perennial statice, one of my favs., especially for making filler in bouquets, I know not a combo, hoping the plants around it fill in a bit next year so I have a scene...

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 4:57 PM

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9254541

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:Ok...lol...name: the red rose.

It is "Carefree Spirit" kathy. It has been my experience that it is disease and pest free and it blooms over and over throughout the summer.

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

August 31, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9260162

The phlox "Peppertwist" (from earlier in July). (The pictured coneflowers have been dug out in the past day due to 'yellow asters' disease (and replaced with Kniphofia 'Alcazar')) (No more coneflowers for me!)

The second picture taken in early August shows either 'Cosmic Evolution' or 'Star Cluster' coreopsis with 'Presto' Coreopsis. (And as of today 'Presto' has been over run by CE/SC :( )

What I should note is that the location of this coreopsis receives significantly less than full sun...maybe 3 hours of direct at most and some dappled at other times. I have no doubt that 'Presto' has failed to thrive due to this and maybe CE/SC would give more flowers with more sun but even so it is worth having this '"full sun" plant in this locale as it does brighten things up.

Thumbnail by rouge21   Thumbnail by rouge21         

rouge21

(Zone 4b)

September 3, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9263053

A shady area of our garden in early September:

Thumbnail by rouge21

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9263055

I just love your anemone.I need to see if mine is in bloom.Thats a very nice area.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9263056

Blooms from my garden today,not much left.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9263070

All beautiful, Jo Ann, but that fourth one is a stunning "color echoes" with that coleus a perfect match for the sedum.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9263074

That sedum is the one you gave me.Any idea what the name is?
Its variegated I think.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 8:47 AM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9263077

Here is another view.It stood out as I was cruising the garden

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9263151

Could be 'Frosty Morn'. I'm really not sure but that is one I've had for years and it is variegated.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9263187

I'll give it a try on Google
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

September 3, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9263224

ge1836 wrote:I just love your anemone.I need to see if mine is in bloom.Thats a very nice area.

Thank you "ge1836". This is an "Honorine Jobert". It is so tall, about 4 feet, maybe in part due to the significant shade it experiences in this location..

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9263235

Yes I have the Jobert.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America