Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: What bird laid this egg?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9130624

I am SO not knowledgeable about birds, but found this nest and egg in a bush we removed. Can someone tell me the bird?

TIA

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9133431

darius, I hope someone will be able to answer your question. I'm relatively new at birding and have seen very few eggs in person, thus unable to assist with your quest for an answer. From what I've observed, some common garden birds will use nest boxes, those that nest within shurberies are Mockingbirds, Thrushes, Brown Thrashers ect. I just wanted to share bit of my experience, and hope to bump this thread up for an answer. Good lucks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9133437

Thanks. I did find some websites that help to ID bird eggs, and this one probably is some kind of wren.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9133461

Those poor Wrens, they have a tendency to build nest in every odd place. Early spring my son found a nest that was built in his hanging flower basket... The Wrens wasn't discouraged by human activity, but when it tried to incubate, and the basket was taking down to be watered. The Momma bird got frightened and abandoned the clutch of half dozen or so eggs. Such bad outcome!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9133595

Yes, they seem to not be choosy about nesting places!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9133613

Thanks. I'm glad you've found answer. I'll exit the thread so perhaps it can be consider solved? Happy birding, gardening.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9133629

Yes, I'm considering it solved. Thanks!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9134334

DariusI'm not so sure its a Wren. The Carolina Wrens here are picky. They like sheltered areas like in hanging basket under a porch, a shelf in the garage, stack of plant pots laying on their side. The always build a domed nest (like a cave) even inside a bird house. They will build it up to where the opening of the nest is aligned with the opening of the birdhouse. I have one in a Bluebird box now. If I don't forget I will open it when I can catch the mom off the nest and take pic to show you.

Found this info on birds nest from here http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/which-bird-made-that-nest/
"Chestnut-sided warbler Dendroica pensylvanica
Chestnut-sided warblers nest in open, edge habitat and also close to the ground, in small shrubs and bushes. This nest, with its very light and flimsy appearance, is made almost entirely of very fine grasses"
Haven't googled to see what their eggs looks like yet
jagrogan
White Lily, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9171983

Carolina Wrens in Somerset, KY don't build on the ground that we've had here every year that I've noticed. This year they are on the edge of the base of the porch after 2 - 3 feet up but to put it directly on the ground I haven't seen yet.

I found an identical nest last year which I accidently exposed and ruined weeding the garden. That is the egg was OK but it was too exposed for the bird's liking. The parents never came back.

What I saw flying away from it and it was only a glimpse, looked like a barn swallow.

I'd like to know if you identify this bird's nest.

Here is a link to a similar looking Barn Swallow nest, though placed differently.

http://www.topix.com/album/detail/madison-heights-mi/GKO24T9L6RUOF98A

Searches I've done for Carolina Wren nests and Barn Swallow nests show quite a few variants of nests and eggs in the way they look and where they locate them.

I almost think you'll have to get a picture of the bird at the nest.

I had an similar looking nest (I seem to remember a few small blue speckles as well though) that I now think was more likely a Carolina Wren.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174050/

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 6:54 PM

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 7:00 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9172574

Never got a positive ID, bird(s) never came back to the nest.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9186471

the Carolina Wrens here build a very distinct nest, like a sloppy oven shape, and will always include large leaves as part of the structure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America