AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9130677

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256007/

I've never seen larger clematis flowers than this year and they're all so beautiful.

Crystal Fountain took a few years to provide a show but it's worth it now that it is in its fully glory.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9130688

Arlene

Thank you for the new thread.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9130744

The old one was even getting slow to load for me and that's rare.

Here's tree rose, Peace, with Ernest Markham clematis.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 20, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9130788

Pretty color combo!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9130840

OH MY, what a pretty flower.
I agree, this year the clems are growing so much. Blooms everywhere and the height that they are getting. Most of mine are growing above and beyond the trellis's.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9130969

It's true. I have one 20' up in a magnolia and it's in bloom now but I won't get a ladder to get a photo of it. Here's one of the blooms at eye level - Candida Lanuginosa.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 20, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9130979

A great color to brighten up a shady spot...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9131055

I gave my son 2 small ones from the discount ones i got. He finally planted them late this past fall. Now that they are all up and blooming, he is even impressed with their blooms and growth. I hope I created another addict...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9131069

Thanks, Marilyn. Originally I planted the clem's when the magnolia was very young and short. I do love Candida in the shade there.

Good work, Marie!

Here's Josephine (at last) at about 6' in the magnolia.

For as tall as Josephine and Candida got, The President decided to stay near the ground this time. It's also on the magnolia.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9131098

Pirl, I'm curious about your clems growing in trees. Do they get much direct sun? I'm wondering if I might have a tree or two that could host a clem or two!

Katherine, now plotting more clems...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9131118

They are in an eastern exposure but do get dappled sun all day. I've never had a problem growing them with our departed Box Elder (what a messy tree) - three cultivars, several grow through the Tardiva hydrangea, the magnolia hosts four clem's and even a Japanese maple with Princess Diana. Last year I planted Rooguchi and Blue Light in front of a Limelight hydrangea and they're both doing well. Those two do get direct sun all day long.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9131482

So you dont worry about root competition, or that the leaves will shade it too much? Interesting...Hmmm.
I have 2 lime lights, but was afraid that it would over power the clem and choke it out. But I guess since the clem comes up first, it would work.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9131537

I planted all of them before I thought about root competition. I think it's a more serious issue with moisture loving plants like hostas taking up the water and nutrients when they're close to clematises, than trees.

Those I planted around the Box Elder was when the tree was the diameter of a typical rebar stake. The tree grew to 50' and quite wide but somehow the clematis roots spread outward and they all survived. The clematises around the magnolia are planted from one to three feet away from the trunk and they haven't had any problems. If I had it to do again I'd have cut out the bottom of a big nursery pot, like 5 or 10 gallon size, and planted the clem in that protection but in the same areas.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9132766

I've noticed some very large blooms this year. Even Viola, who typically has smaller blooms has big blooms this year.

This message was edited May 21, 2012 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9132833

I have got to say , that even my hubby is impressed with all the clems that are blooming. And how each one is starting and then another follows after the other is done. But it looks like I might get another flush of blooms on the first ones. They are growing like crazy after that first growth and putting out new buds. Jacknami is getting ready to put on his great show. So many buds this year. I can wait to take a pics of him. I had gave my neighbor a small piece of jack a few years ago. It had done that layering all by it self. Hers is now all over her mail box in just 3 years. I hope the other jacknami I bought does as well.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9133006

Interesting you say that, Marie. I was thinking that perhaps I may get a couple of flushes this year. Everything has been early and growing so quickly and as you said, one flowers after another.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9133064

I have Venosa with Quickfire Hydrangea and they happily coexist.

If we have a warm, extended autumn, we might get 3 flushes!

Funny, Pirl, my President went quite high this year co-mingling with a wisteria and an errant rose bloom. Hard to tell where one stops and another begins.
HF Young remained low but gave big blooms, Candida is going high on a pine and big.

Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9133139

Such beauties, Louise! That Candida really looks great and in with a pine it has to shine like a beacon.

Henryi has been exceptional this year. It was later to bloom than most of the other class 2's but now it's loaded with blooms.

Rituaal is in a lot of shade but it's one glorious flower. I love how the back of the blooms show off and contrast with the face.

Ville de Lyon is another beauty. They all seem to be enjoying this spring and the rain combined with cooler weather.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 22, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9133148

Exactly what's happening here...huge blooms, lots of new growth, happy clems!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9133170

At least they're making up for the lack of blooms last year.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9133457

Hi Everyone,
Here are a few pics of my clems. currently in bloom BUT, the blue one with the white boss is labeled 'Fireworks' ...I don't think so! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 22, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9133642

I like the shape of the red blooms...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9133736

I have planted one of my Venosa Violacea in the pot and I bought some of the ornamental metal wall decoration at the trift store for 3 doll, that comes in twos, wire them together a made a home made trellis. I hope it works well for it.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9133825

Lee - nice colors on those clem's. I agree, the blue one is not Fireworks!

The Duchess of Edinburgh (double white) and Fireworks are planted 3' apart here but decided to join forces to put on a grand display. It's fun when two clem's can get together and do better than we can with all of our planning.

For 20 years we've had the Belle of Woking growing with Multi Blue on the fireplace wall. A few years ago I added more clem's to the area and the Belle decided to make friends with Ilka. I love them together.

A few still haven't bloomed: Ashva, Helsingborg and Patricia Ann Fretwell.

Nice job, Etelka! Love the mulch even more than the trellis. You want the roots to stay cool and mulch will do it.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9133892

I would like to plant something on my south side against the house, but I am afraid that it would be too hot in the summer. Can a clem survive here?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 22, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9133974

Marie, I have 4 clems planted on the south side of my garage...they are planted on trellises with climbing roses...Kilian Donahue does best...seems to really love there, & I get several flushes of blooms...here is Ibi, planted on a trellis facing southwest...that's a quarter on top of the bloom! The pink is Kilian...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG   Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9133993

Both are beautifuly, Marilyn.

I agree with Marilyn - plant on the south side and just give them more compost (water retention) in the hole and make sure they have 3" of mulch.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 22, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9134037

Thanks...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9134102

Since the soil there is so bad. (fill dirt). I was thinking of building a raised bed and planting in it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9134117

Fill dirt around here is often good drainage but poor soil so just add a lot of manure and compost and plant more clem's whether you put them in raised beds or not.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 22, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9134129

Hi Clematis people,

I've been admiring all of your beautiful gardens off and on for some time, and wishing mine was half as nice.

My reason for posting today is to find the name of our weed clematis. Google is failing me. I think you, the experts are my best source. I stepped next door where it is only pulled once a year, and the roots not dealt with, so I have a better picture to help ID it. It blooms in the late summer with blooms like the Autumn Clematis. Then the seeds come to visit me, and the hunt begins for the new starts, a year round project. Horrid, invasive plant.

This photo is of growth starting last summer. It is on a laurel hedge. Leaves are trifoliate.

Thumbnail by citybusgardener

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9134170

Welcome, citybusdriver!

Looks like the invasive Sweet Autumn Clematis to me. Check out this link to see what you think:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=leaves Sweet Autumn Clematis&hl=en&biw=1058&bih=513&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=EZXvLCmtbqS4sM:&imgrefurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/clvi.html&docid=SfJ8qmxIOBdgBM&imgurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/clvi3467.jpg&w=350&h=467&ei=8C68T9G3OKj06AGn5b0n&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=261&vpy=117&dur=5313&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=90&ty=121&sig=117167023407196511093&page=1&tbnh=155&tbnw=104&start=0&ndsp=9&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:76
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9134197

Yep I agree Arlene. And I find it everywhere in my yard too. In fact I have that and another vine that keeps popping up all over. I have not let either grow to full maturity, because I know they are invasive.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9134205

My Silver Lace Vine keeps popping up in all gardens. I'm sure every seed is fertile.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9134262

Citybus, that looks like virginiana, the virgin's bower, which Pirl's link showed. Sweet Autumn has a smoother edge to the leaf and is scented. I don't have SAC, but I do have virginiana. I've never had a problem with seeding but it's vines will root all over. I pulled it out of it's sunny spot last year and plunked it in shade out by the road. It can do whatever it wants out there, but in a more formal sunny setting, it's a thug.

Beautiful Ibi, Marilyn. Mine got seriously molested last year by the installation of an irrigation system. This year it's put out one bloom, very small and looks yellow. Weird.

Lee, that looks like it might by HF Young, one my favorites. What ever it's name, it's beautiful and very healthy.

Nice job with the trellis Etelka! Pretty and affordable, a great combination.

Pirl, love Ilka and Belle together, a gorgeous pairing!

It seems it's not just roses and clems that climb the arbor ;)

Thumbnail by venu209

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9134271

Ooh, a blooming feline. I don't have that cultivar!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9134280

Funny Arlene...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9134296

Marie - you have me curious. How big is the space on the south side that you can now fill with clematises?

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 22, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9134330

Pirl and Venu,

Thank you !!!
I just knew this was the right place to ask. I had been looking at both of those, but couldn't get it right. Pirl, that link really helped, since it explains the difference between the two.

Now I need to remember where I was in Daves' Garden, when a member asked a question...and that question started me on this quest. LOL This is one of those things I've been confused on before, and gave up before the answer.

:)
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9134363

Pirl, blooming feline is under house arrest tonight and driving me nuts. If he keeps it up, I'll be able to bring you a cutting. ;)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9134472

Please excuse me for calling you citybusdriver instead of citybusgardener! It's been a long day of watching the rain. You can do a search for the subject in the post you recall and you don't need the name of the one posting to do it.

Louise - no cuttings! I like well rooted clem's like your gift of Rooguchi was!

Thumbnail by pirl

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 22, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9134511

I've been watching rain too. Getting that picture with the camera under my rain coat front was tricky. Tried holding the camera out, but immediately I could see it was very WET. Too wet. Yikes !

No problem with the screen name. I know it's long, but when I had to pick a name, I was thinking if I posted in the forums, I want to prevent people telling me to just take the truck/car over to____and pick up____. I'm in a very bus friendly city, and a block away I can catch a bus going any direction , every 10 or 15 min. Going car free has been a freeing experience. It's only getting garden items that takes thought, once my farm-/feed store moved away on me.

Everybody on the bus starts talking when I get on with a bunch of plants like I did this last weekend. Fun. :)

So where's the " Can't believe I did this to a clematis thread ?"
LOL

Check out my poor little Niobe. She got lost in things, and I'm in the process of redoing the whole back garden. Here she ended up awaiting her special place, with chaos still around her.. Seems healthy enough. We're living on the edge though. ;)

The blooms are fading, but see how nice the leaves are and new growth is fast right now.

What beautiful roots you have there !

This message was edited May 22, 2012 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by citybusgardener   Thumbnail by citybusgardener

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 22, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9134521

Oh, I did find the thread and left directions to this thread and the post #. I thought for a bit and remembered the forum, it was easy after that. If somebody named Raven shows up, you will know how that happened. This seems like a good place for her/him.

Gosh, I've read this group long enough I'm sending folks to you already, yet you had no idea I was here. ;)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9134715

Here is the area Arlene, as you can see there is not much space and how the over hang of the house keeps it from getting any water. Maybe just pots would work better.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9134798

Citybus - I do know a few people, all gardeners, who gave up driving. While I can't imagine my husband lugging home 52 bags of pine needles on a bus, I give you credit for persevering.

"Poor little Niobe" doesn't look poor in flowers or little. Mine is more of a puny Niobe than yours. I spotted the fact that your Niobe gets flamingo offsets. Mine have never done that.

They're "Louise's roots", not mine. She grows great clematises and gave me the one in the photo, Rooguchi.

I do recall Raven or Ravenn and hope the person joins us here. We know there are many who lurk but don't post so let's hope all who lurk will join us in our chats. It's fun to share experiences, ideas, and thoughts. Thanks for directing folks to us, citybus.

Marie - if you're not anti water crystals I bet they'd work fine either in pots or in the ground to keep your clem's damp. I'm just guessing that it's your deck, right? A nice big trellis could work beautifully on the blank wall. If Louise would post the photo of her gorgeous trellis it could be the answer for you.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 23, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9134800

Glad you are here, CityBusG...Weeze, love the photo of your cat...very handsome, & surely not under house arrest for long! Marie, that looks like a tough area to plant in...maybe pots would be better...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9134841

No sooner did I say Patricia Ann Fretwell didn't bloom, then it bloomed. Not what I expected but next year should be better.

Piilu also hasn't opened and neither has triternata Rubromarginata, Climador or Perle d'Azur. How can they be so lazy when the others are doing so well?

The good news is, I think Etoile Rose seems to have survived the onslaught of tree workers after the major tree in the back was lost to the storm last year.

Thumbnail by pirl

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9134927

Marie, what about long planters the same wood as your deck?

Hi Citybus! I lurked for a while, then got very chatty, now have little to say again... Most of my clems are new, in various stages of potting up or being planted. Most likely I won't have many blooms to show off, if any, this year. But just you wait... After all the tips from this forum I expect great success sooner rather than later!

Pam
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9134969

Hi Everyone,
I forgot to identify the red clematis in my last post it is c. 'Allanah'

Citybusgardner- Welcome, Join us! Share and learn with us. Just like Pirl my c.'Niobe' is also a runt compared to yours!
Venue209- I do believe my mystery clem. is H.F. Young, thank you. Don't you suspect the mislabeled problems are in large part due to shoppers misplacing them?

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9134990

Thanks for the ID for Allanah, Lee. I'm convinced my Niobe will never fill the trellis where it's growing so I've added two more, Blue Moon/Claire de Lune and Elsa Spaeth.

How I wish all labels were stapled to the nursery pots in nurseries as they do at one local nursery (photo attached). The problem with the nursery is that they plant plugs but charge $32. a pot. I don't buy clem's there.

People, to whom plant names do not matter, seem to just stick the name tag in any pot and then we buy a plant believing it to be something it isn't.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 23, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9135117

Silver Moon doing well this year...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9135239

Great placement. It's so nice that Silver Moon accents the gray cedar shakes of your home and leads the eye to the Japanese maple. That's the perfect plant in the perfect spot.

It's so muggy out here!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 23, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9135292

Thanks, Pirl...my house was dark brown when I planted that clem, but I like it a lighter color...time to paint again unfortunately!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9135329

Painting is now a major investment. I like the lighter colors.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 23, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9135330

All these friendly faces !
I'm just finishing up my lunch and need to run, but will be looking forward to finding all of you this evening. Thanks for such a nice welcome.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9135461

We'll probably be here, CB!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9135749

I've been looking for Silver Moon... No one seems to have it right now. According to Hummingbird in Maine it will bloom with as little as 2 hours of sun. I wonder if it would be as floriferous as Marilyn's?

I've gotten mis-identified plants mail-order, too. Quite a surprise when they bloom...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9135826

I so love seeing all these new clems. I got 2 more yesterday. Proteus Clematis and Snow Queen. Both say part sun so they wont work there. I am always on the hunt for new ones.
I am going to try my Banana trees there in large pots. I saw some nice real large pots at the Deals store for only 6.00 each. More potting soil and pots. Next project.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9135836

Marie

I have Proteus in full sun with no problems. Haven't tried Snow Queen...

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9135851

I'm here CB :) It was such a pleasant evening, I didn't want to come in. Is this the trellis you're referring to Pirl? It would work for you , Marie , in the tight space. Attaches easily to the house, no man needed. I "think" I got it at Plow and Hearth, less than $100.

Lee, you're welcome. Pirl can attest to my eye for HF Young. Retail centers surely have the problem of mislabeled plants due to customers plucking the tag out and then sticking it anywhere, but that doesn't address the mislabels from mail order. I can't recall receiving a mislabel from mail order, but I suspect it has happened, it's just that my memory brain cells have started to fizzle.

Marilyn, my eye went to the JM right away too! Great looking clem.

Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9135853

Ok, then I will try her in full sun. Thanks.
Oh i cant attach anything to this new siding that I am still paying for. It would have to be free standing. Hubby threw out one that I coudld have hit him over the head for. It would have worked great there. Oh well I will just have to buy another...lol

This message was edited May 23, 2012 8:42 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9135854

I've had Proteus in half sun and now it's in full sun. Still waiting for blooms but I just moved it in November so maybe I'm being too anxious.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9135863

Does it seem to do better in full sun Arlene? How about the Snow Queen since it is white?
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9135883

Make sure he pays for the new trellis, Marie ;)

A couple of new, at least new to me, cultivars. Twilight and Violet Elizabeth in the early morning sun. Oh, yes, and the newest hosta, lol

Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9135896

Which is the one in the middle? That color is beautiful and different.

I forgot to mention that I bought Niobe, Violet Elizabeth, John Paul as very young plants. so far only 3 have shown new growth . But the tags fell off the pots and I dont know which ones they are. I also bought Midnight Showers, I hope that is the one I planted over the old cedar tree, and Elsa Spaeth.That one I dont remember where I planted either...lol

This message was edited May 23, 2012 9:20 PM

This message was edited May 23, 2012 9:21 PM
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9135940

Violet Elizabeth, although I would not describe the color as violet at all. It's more of a dusky pink. Definitely unusual, got it from Klehm's last year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9135959

Proteus hasn't yet bloomed in the new location so I'm sorry but I can't report on it. I don't have Snow Queen. Whites, in general, aren't harmed by the sun...at least not here. Candida, the Duchess of Edinburgh and Henryi all take the sun quite well - no problems - no early demise of blooms. Nelly Moser is the only one I have that really wants part shade or she fades quickly.

Beautiful blooms, Louise. The hosta is nice!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9136282

Venu. I see in the pic of Hosta with clem, you also have that dreaded creeping charlie. How do you keep it under control?
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9136286

I have received my Brushwood order, John Warren and Madam Julie Correvan in good order today, no blooms. All morning I have been spreading the grasshopper bait Nolo and hope that will reduce my problem with the Lobo Grasshoppers. I have some new babies in the prennial garden, Salvia Belize and my only daylilly is bloomin. For some reason I have not had any luck with day lillies and last year I gave away all but one. This is a beuty.

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9136363

The clematises look very good. They're better off arriving without buds or flowers to direct the energy to the roots. Good luck with the Nolo. I remember your problem with the grasshoppers.

This year I bought a few new salvias and they all look good. Your daylily looks happy enough!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 24, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9136445

Weeze, the JM is kasagyiama ... what beautiful clems...that Violet Elizabeth is gorgeous...here is Pink Fantasy which is blooming for the first time...I've had it about 3 years...very tiny leaves & blooms...Pam, Silver Moon faces east, & was shaded by a crabapple, which I lost in Oct...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9136546

Pink Fantasy is very sweet, worth waiting for.
That daylily is a beauty, surprised you had trouble with the others, I thought daylilies were foolproof.
All the Clem pictures are so beautiful, makes me want more and more... I guess I'm not alone in this!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9136685

Now I have to wonder where you bought your Pink Fantasy from, Marilyn, because I've also waited years and just got my first bloom.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 24, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9136936

Pirl, I believe it was from Jung's, but am not totally certain...it's a dainty plant which is what I needed for the lampost that it's climbing on...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9136976

"Dainty" fits the plant. I doubt mine is a foot tall.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 24, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9137192

Pirl,

"your Niobe gets flamingo offsets" LOL :D

My poor little Niobe apparently looks better in pictures than real life. I'm not really sure exactly how to help her. She was placed temporarily in that old wash tub, awhile back. My yard is SHADE with patches of sunlight that move through the season and the day. So new unknown things go in pots and get moved around, looking for the place that they can get their minimum sun needs met.

I've left her in her tub too long, and didn't prune the last year or two either. As she sits, her old stems reach the top of that obelisk. She then starts growing leaves and blooms. Flop, flop, flop.

I need to totally replace all the soil, as it's probably so dense by now I doubt there's any texture left at all. I did pull all her competition in the tub, added several inches of mushroom compost/compost mix, to get her through the summer. I'm still not ready to place her permanently in the ground, and I see she's okay in the tub.

It's probably my location that's making the difference, not my skill. I am great at soil/compost stuff, and everything grows big. I mostly spend my time cutting things back...in bulk, not with great skill. That's were you guys come in. That and wanting to add a few new clematises. Looking at my garden, the clems have been singing the loudest to me the last couple years, so it's time to gain some education.

So I now have a notebook right here, and have been jotting down favorites . Found Bushwood..my heart pitter-patters for one that grows to 40 ft. Like I have 40 ft .. I'm a shoehorn planter as it is.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9137204

I've had Pink Fantasy for a few years (2-3) and haven't had a bloom yet. Seeing your picture makes me wish it would bloom!! Pretty.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 24, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9137220

Mari,

Regarding your dry strip by the house. I'll share my idea, just in case it might work.

A water barrel, with the standard set up, plus adding a tiny extra outlet, just a schoosh under the over flow level. This special outlet would have a controlled drip line that runs the lenght of the dry space. It would automatically water the dry area exactly as much as it rains in the rest of the garden. Once the water level in the barrel empties out the over flow, and waters the dry strip, it would stop...when the rain stops. I think this would work ??? The tiny outlet would need to be only say 1/4 inch lower than the over flow outlet. Don't want the area over watered all the time.

Now water barrels are not extra attractive, but a three sided fence to match your other fences, or a three sided lattice with clems growing on two sides would be good. I would just make sure that one side opens easily to be able to service it if needed and to use the water from the lower spout.

I've only got the barrel and the idea so far, so this is not a proven system.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 5:52 PM

This message was edited May 24, 2012 5:54 PM
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9137239

Marie, I spend lots of time pulling Charlie out, but I'll never be able to eradicate it since it comes under the fence. I have very nice neighbors behind me, but they do not mind weeds and the weeds love coming over to the amended garden soil. Even Round Up doesn't seem to affect it much.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9137242

CB - glad you enjoyed a bit of flamingo humor.

After Niobe finishes blooming make friends with a pruner and cut her back to about 10 or 12" to a good bud. Then add compost and manure to the barrel (clem's almost can't be planted too deeply) and give her a gallon of lukewarm water with a tablespoon of Epsom Salts dissolved in it. She should start growing immediately.

Louise - I checked and mine is also two years old. Two years for one measly bloom and one bud! That's an issue for me. Here's the bloom I got - nothing to swoon over here. I was wrong about the height. Maybe it's 6" high, that's all. In two years I'd have expected a lot more from it. (So much for "bargain" plants!)

Thumbnail by pirl

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9137276

Well, I messed up! It's Pink Champagne that hasn't bloomed for me. Pink Fantasy bloomed this year, but looks a bit different than Marilyn's.

Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9137285

I was curious if my camera would take pics at night. This is the clem that was here when I moved in 10 years ago. I moved it to here to the trellis about 5 years ago. I never trimmed it back and it seems that I can do either and it still grows like crazy. Small purple blooms and small leaves. It is really a Noid...lol

This message was edited May 24, 2012 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9137363

Louise - yours does look much different than either Marilyn's or mine. You got lucky with that one!

Marie - it's fun when clematises adapt to our own personal style of gardening. We can get angry or annoyed and whack them back or neglect them and yet some just go on blooming. A close-up of the leaves and the flowers might help us with an ID for it.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9137723

Ok ,here is a close up of monster. Also the new one I put on the cedar stump.

Thumbnail by marie_kap   Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9137732

here is another that is opening up. I had saved most of the labels , but then hubby through them out, not knowing why I wanted to save them. So I have to make sure I dont l leave them out for him to pick up...lol

I have noticed that the Advant Garde is finally getting a stronger stem. I have hopes for her yet. One died and I am watching this one closely. But ants have decided to make a home in her pot.

This message was edited May 25, 2012 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9137739

Reminds me very much of Galore, would have been sold as Vesuvius 10 years ago, however, Galore is a group 3 so it's pretty early to be be blooming now. Hmmm.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9137748

It always blooms around June.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 26, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9139779

I have had this clem for several years now, but am not sure of its name. Madam Villard?

Thumbnail by timeinabottle   Thumbnail by timeinabottle

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9139802

timeinthe bottle, That is a nice clematis, I don't have any lavender color. By the way, my climbing roses, the Autumn Sunset are four feet tall, no buds yet. I planted them in half sun and half shade, hope I did ok. It has been over 90 degrees here for days, the flowers are realy suffering. I have used some alfafa tea the other day on everything, hopw that helps. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012

Post #9139814

That's a beauty, John. Sorry but I don't know the name. Perhaps someone else will drop in and identify it.

We relented today and turned on the AC, Etelka. Working outside in the heat and coming into a nice cool house felt wonderful. It's easier for me to work at night than in the sunshine. We only got to 77 but even that was too hot for me. I'm happy to read that your Autumn Sunset is putting on good growth. Keep it mulched well to conserve moisture.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9139837

I had planted all my new clematis. I planted the Madam Julia Correvan next to the Gipsy Queen, since they are both #3 type. I have made a trellis for the one of the VV and the Ice blue but have not instaled it yet. The second VV will have a wire going up around the mail box. I am running out of room for clems so maybe I should stop ordering them. I have ordered the Eva Phlox, got four of them. I have not seen them around growing, hope it is not to hot here for them. Pirl, I have been using airconditioner since April, I like it cold, down to 70, I am used to sleeping in the cold, back home we did not have heat in the bedroom, only large feather covers. I remember ice on the window in the morning. But we where never sick as kids. It is what you arae used to. Tomorow morning I am making a breakfast casserole for the prayer brakfast meating, I hope they like it. It is made with hash brown, sasauge cheese and egg and milk mixture. Every time I show up, they are thinking food. I made up my mind thet on my toomb stone it will say "she fed a lots of hungry people"
Etelka
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 26, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9139866

Etelka the autumn sunset is going to get very big. Its a wonderful rose.

John
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9139880

John, I have seen your picture and saved it on my walpaper and put it on my bucket list. So now I have 2 of them and hoping that by next year it will look half as nice as yours. Thank you. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9139893

I don't know how the phlox will be for you, Etelka. I can only hope they survive and thrive.

We do reach a point where we feel we don't have room for more clematises. I'm at that point now. I might be able to squeeze in one or two but more than that would require more space than I have.

John - We used to have climbing roses but they became a full time job with pruning so we gave up on them. Climbing Peace was my favorite.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9139901

IN the last 2 years I went from 0 clematis to 17 that I have now, I have two of Hanryi, Young, and Ruutel and 3 of the VV. I only have a 40 x 30 front yard, so it will soon look like a jungle. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9139915

You did a great job, Etelka, and it shows in your wonderful photos. Your neighbors have to applaud you and I hope at least some of them give you compliments or smiles of appreciation.

Have a wonderful breakfast. It sounds great!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9139925

Thanks Pirl, you are so sweet. Always with a kind word. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9140123

Thank you, Etelka. There's enough sadness in life so we have to enjoy all that's beautiful.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9139805
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 27, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9140334

Arlene
I just got in from my morning walk with Daisy and clicked on your picture of Harry and Jack. Aren't dogs wonderful ? I know you gave him a good life. Susan runs Daisy in Agility . The judges at Cinncinnati always end there morning briefing by saying be good to your dogs they are with us such a very short time.

I can no longer go to trials because Daisy would leave the course to come to me.

John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9140406

Thanks, John. We pet lovers understand the grief we feel over a loss. Their lives are much too short when we love them so much.

How cute about Daisy!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 27, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9140710

Very pretty clems...I cam back from NH to see the Pink Fantasy has more blooms...wait another year, Pirl...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9140797

Okay. I'll wait.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 28, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9141492

Niobe only has one bloom...and Gypsy Queen opened up...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG   Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9141511

At least one is better than none, Marilyn. They are both nice colors. Are they both young plants (less than three years old)?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9141525

It's Memorial Day, one day of the year set aside to honor and respect all those who gave their lives in defense of our country. Take a moment out of the day to reflect and say a prayer of thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9141620

Solemn words.So many veterans and their families have given so much.
Etelka, you might consider Margaret Hunt if you want lavender. It is a wonderful blooming machine.

Thumbnail by bananna18

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 28, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9142028

Margaret Hunt added to wish list, check. :)

Pirl,
Thanks for the advice on what to do with my poor little Niobe.

Everybody,

Well, after much obsessive study, I made my first trip out to a local garden store to see who their clematis growers are nowadays, and this first trip as successful. Seems the old Tissues and Liners company has grown tremendously and is now T&L nursery. They're doing a nice job with the plants and are a company I can be happy with.
Here's their growing practices page http://www.tandlnursery.com/growing They are wholesale only, so if you view their products list, remember that. I see by what they have available, the clems on my most wanted list are around, and grown locally. I still have more garden stores to visit, and more current growers to explore, but now that I know I could do a special order when ever this particular LGS orders clems, I'm happy.

So for now, I came home with two old favorites, proven over and over to be great plants.
C.'Comtesse de Bouchaud' and C.'Doctor Rupple'. Plus one new one, C.'Yukikomachi' that I'm excited to see how it does here. I also got another honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica 'Purpurea' to place in my potting area. Why didn't I think of that before. ;)

I did snap a picture of C.'Comtesse de Bouchaud' for a 'baby picture, and during that I noticed poor little Niobe has more flowers and has grown another 10 plus inches just since I posted last. She is now tipping her support way over from the weight. Apparently the new compost mix I dumped on top of her old worn out soil, agrees with her. Well, at least I know she'll most likely make it one more season in such a poor situation. I feel so guilty to have done this to her.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 8:28 PM

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 28, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9142320

That's a healthy looking clem! Pirl, Niobe is 3 years old, Gypsy Queen 2...hoping for more blooms, or there will be new clems. Love your red, white, & blue collage...hard day remembering my DH who fought in WW11...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9142430

Anna - Margaret Hunt is wonderful - so many blooms!

CB - I just love Dr. Ruppel (pictured below) The flowers are so beautiful. I'm curious about Yukikomache. I'll have to look it up online. Funny about the honeysuckle and why you didn't think of that before. We all have those moments.

Marilyn - generally year three is a big time winner but it depends on if you started with a typical plug or a good sized plant. When in doubt just dump on the manure and compost.

My dad was in WW l and many I know served in Korea, Viet Nam and Afghanistan. The original PIRL used to tell us tales of her uncle who served in the Civil War!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9142442

Yukikomache is lovely. I like the pale blue outer edges and the white in the center. Good choice, CB!

Photo by courtesy of Brushwood. I love their plants!

Thumbnail by pirl

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

May 28, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9142565

Yukikomache
Apparently up near Seattle it's blooming May, June, August, September.
While at Joy Creek Farms , less than 20 miles from my door, here is what they say:
Quote:
(The name is an allusion to a Japanese poet in the snow.) Clematis 'Yuki Komachi' (Chieko Kurasawa) is surely one of the most lovely of all clematis. Although Japanese texts say this is somewhat dwarf in nature, our plant grows 12 feet up a Viburnum and spills down like a pale cascade. The 4-inch flowers are creamy white with lavender blue margins that fade as they age. The sepals are cup-shaped and tend to face upward. We do not prune our plant but know that this will bloom on new wood. All of our Clematis are two year old plants that are suitable for immediate planting in your garden.

May to October. 8-10 ft.

Cream/Pale Lavender Blue flowers

Part Shade Zones 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
End Quote...

http://www.joycreek.com/Clematis-Yuki-Komachi-150-230.htm

Yes, they spell it differently than the other sites I studied. But that's the same plant. I have read full sun bleaches out the lavender edges, so I think that's part of the variation I've seen in photos. All I have is part shade, so not problem here with fading. I love the cup shape to the sepals.

Pirl..You need one. :)
Your Dr. Rupple is outstanding ! Thanks for the picture. The one I bought has a couple flowers open on it, and the trip home slowed down due the folks stopping me as I walked down the sidewalk, at both ends of my little trip. My fellow bus passengers all loved it too. Not everyday you see a granny cart decked out like a parade float ( my four tall staked plants, plus a few annuals that fit in and around). LOL

This message was edited May 28, 2012 8:30 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9142815

You must have fun bus rides and I can see how the passengers must enjoy your new plants.

Don't be concerned about the differences in spelling of the name. Rooguchi is also spelled Roguchi.

There are 20 clem's on my list now that I'd like but it will take very creative thinking to fit even a few more.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9144159

Anna, Margaret Hunt is gorgeous. I don't have her, might have to change that. :)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9144572

I have no idea which this one is. This was planted when I first got hooked.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9144590

See if you think it compares favorably to Franziska Maria:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/300399/
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9144592

Sure looks like it. Thanks
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9146779

Hi Everyone, I want to share my great luck on transplanting c.Arabella! I am not able to get rid of Bishop Weed, I have sprayed and resprayed with Roundup for 3 years and It is actually choking the clematis. so
I dug up the plant of Arabella, totally rinsed ALL the dirt of and immediately replanted the slender roots resembling intregrafolia roots. I used 1/4 strength plant starter solution in very well prepared soil and lo and behold the little dear just reestablished almost immediately!! I am chalking it up to luck!! Oh happy, happy day! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9146786

How sweet!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 31, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9146826

She likes her new home!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9146837

Congratulations, Lee. You did a great job with Arabella. That aegopodium is a horror to eliminate.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9146854

Good Job Lee! Looks to me like you put some TLC in the transplanting process, so it's more your care than luck!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9148626

Does anyone else find that they need an extension on their trellis's for the clems this year. I have not seen mine grow so much in all the years I have had them. They are falling over , climbing onto what ever they can, and putting out more and more blooms.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9148677

Same here, Marie. It's akin to a fairy tale!

My computer will go out for repairs so I won't be online for a week unless I get to the library. Happy growing, everyone.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9148685

You'll be missed!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 2, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9148713

Yes, Marie, the clems are reaching out for their neighbors! It's raining too heavily to do anything in the garden today...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9148822

Here in Ga. we have a beutiful day, no humidity and nice sunny day. My clems are getting a second flush, I got some epsom salt on them and alfalfa tea, and we had good rain two days ago. This is Sunset, she is the healthiest clematis I have, just keeps on climbing and blooming. Also on my short trellis I have Hanriy in the middle I thing he will have a first bloom soon, it is hiding behind the Coreopsis Senter stage container. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9148861

Hi Everyone, I am having some some unique blooms on my 2 y.o. Crystal fountain vine and I wonder if yours are showing these blooms that start and continue with only pin Tepal s. These tepals are the same as they are in the center of typical Crystal fountain, with no outer wide tepals. I watch closely and know these are not just blooms that have shed their outer wide tepals. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9149066

Marie

I just let miine cascade back down when they grow past the fencing.

I noticed my clems are early this year. Mme Julia started flowering this past week. In the past, she has always flowered from as early as mid June to as late as the first week in July. Hoping to get another flush this year from her...

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9149135

I just planted the Mme Julia, put her next to the Gypsi Queen, they are both #3 clems. Can you send a picture Carolyn22, so I can see it. Thanks. Etelka
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9149703

Etelka

I love Mme Julia. She is one of my favorites! She is just starting to open for me - this picture was taken last year.

Went Nursery hopping today with DH today. Spent too much money, but had fun. Picked up more Clematis Tracey Lee and Gipsy Queen...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9149765

I have noticed that some I thought were in group 3 are starting to put out blooms. I will take some pics tomorrow to show the new ones in bloom. I will miss your Arlene. Come back quick.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9149768

Marie

My group 3's are starting as well. Everything is early this year. That is why I am thinking I can get more than 1 flush of blooms this year.

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9150577

I also like Mme. Julia, a truly trouble free clematis. Last year I attempted to cut mine back to encourage a second bloom flush but I cut her back 2/3 or so and that was too much! The poor dear just sat, no further decline and no new growth even with a light feeding. This spring see my Mme. Julia doing just fine after the spring manure and Epsom feed. She is growing to about 4 feet now, she is growing vigorously and setting many buds but, no color yet. Lee
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9150688

Lee

I am surprised, as I am already seeing color on my Mme Julia. Elmira tends to run about 5 degrees or so cooler than we are.

I cut back Mme Julia one year like you mentioned above and I did get a second flush in about September of that year. I seem to remember the second flush did not have nearly the same amount of flowers as the first flush.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9150703

Greensideup: My Josephine blooms did that. Really weird.

I have blooms popping everywhere. more off of the same ones before.

Here is another that is blooming and the one that is going crazy with growth.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9150708

Up close pic of the blooms, and my Advant Garde that I am babying. I see more new growth on her.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 4, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9151381

Pretty clem!

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

June 4, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9152511

It's been raining, cool, and cloudy, so I was surprised when I went around the corner and saw my old clem opening it's first blooms. It should have waited till the first warmer day.

What variety do you think this is? I remember there was a mix up when I bought it. It's always been a big plant, but most things are in my garden. It goes up a 12 ft. ladder and partly across another 12 ft. ladder.( DIY trellis..three old ladders on a big, windowless side of the house). I cut it back to stubs awhile back. I think this is two years growth, as I didn't get around to any pruning this last year since It wasn't in the way and had looked so slender compared to previous times. It's just now starting across the top ladder. It thrives on neglect.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 5, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9152992

Love that deep color...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9153969

I have opening up that is dark like that one. I will have to see if I kept the tag next to it.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

June 6, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9154790

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Marie. Hope yours is a match and the tag is there.

In news from my garden, I am so excited. It appears my new C. 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' likes her new accommodations. Purchased on the 26th and potted up the next day, I count nine days in her new pot. Look what I found yesterday ! Brand new growth already. They are lower down, among the winter and mechanical moving damage.They look pretty strong to me, so this may be another one that does extra well for me. Sure hope so.

Now I really need to decide on pots and pot up the other two new ones. I'm using my tried and true method of growing new things in pots till I know for sure what spot in my city forest the plant does well. Always a bit tricky.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 6, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9154921

The clem seems happy with its new home...good idea with the pots...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9155528

Here is a pic of mine citybusgardner. But I did not see a name tag. Sorry. They are pretty though.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

June 7, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9156528

Marie,

Looks pretty close. Thanks for the photo and checking for a tag.
I'm still waiting for the stamens to open, as that may help me ID it more positively. We're still refrigerated here, and the plants are all in suspended animation for now. Typical for Oregon. We get a few nicer days early, but it will still be awhile before I can stop needing the heat on.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

June 7, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9156540

Robin,

You would have laughed at me last summer. Yes, everything goes in pots and I try to judge where the best sun beams will be for each plant.

Last summer I decided to take a huge challenge and attempt to grow a zucchini by doing the pot thing. I moved it across the yard, as the sun direction changed with the season. In the end I had to get a strong friend to help me lift it up ( gigantic pot) on a table I placed where the sun was then at. Anything lower was deep shade. All I wanted was a few, enough to say it worked. Got one very small, short one. Oh well...

See, my idea is with the clematises doing their own climbing...they should work in more spots than what I have clems in now...without needing me to 'call a friend', to help lift them up higher, towards the light. LOL I see pictures of woodland gardens with beautiful clematises...I have hope.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 9:20 PM
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9156670

Oh I have the same problem here, I have trees on both sides of me. So the morning sun hits on the right side of the yard while the left is getting dappled sun to shade. Then around 2 the right side is in shade to dappled sun, while the left is now getting sun. And in the middle of the tree opening ( looking up)my pool gets about 4 hours of full sun.( thank goodness for a pool heater) I have 2 trees left close to the house that if I remove I will get more sun in the morning to 2pm.
I have to move my tomato plant from the left side to over to the right so it will get more full sun, or I wont see a single ripe tomato till Sept...lol

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9156860

I grew mini peppers in pots last summer...one mini pepper was all I got! Brought the pots into the house...I remember my Dad overwintering peppers...mine died...oh, well!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9157454

I planted this clem, it grew great and was going over the stump , and then it just started dieing. and now I think it is really dead. What causes that?
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9157628

Don't give up on it Marie. I've had clems disappear for more than a year and they suddenly spring back up.

Venosa growing through Hydrangea Quickfire. John Huxtable, a very reliable clem. Pink Flamingo seed heads.

Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9157822

Now I need to plant another to cover that old stump like I wanted. When you plant them with the bushes, dont you worry that they wont get enough sun. and when you do, how far away do you plant? Do you choose a bush /tree that will not shade the clem at the top? Meaning the clem can reach the top and come out. This would surely help me find home's for more clems.

Thanks a Lot
Marie
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9157858

I take pruning groups into consideration when planting a clem with a shrub. For instance, I would put a group 3 clem with a hydrangea because I don't prune a hydrangea during it's blooming season and generally don't prune group 3s during the growing season, unless they get ratty looking. The group 3 clem gets cut back in late winter before the shrub has leafed out, so I can yank the old vines off the shrub easily. I will put group 2 clems with rose shrubs since I'm deadheading and lightly pruning roses all season. If the clem gets lightly pruned at the same time, it's a good thing. I don't like group 1s with shrubs. I have one with a viburnum of good size and the clem still overwhelms the viburnum. I have to move that one. They're all planted about 6 to 8 inches from the base of the shrub. This is one that was planted between the shrub and the house, not enough sun, but I love the combo, so I'll move the clem to the front of the shrub so it has a southern exposure without shade from the house.

Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9158596

I tend to forget which ones are each group. Are the ones blooming now group 2 and the ones that bloomed earlier group 1? Me I just stick them in the ground and if they dont like it there I move them. If they get rimmed good if they dont oh well I hope for the best...lol
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9158657

If they just started blooming now, they're probably group 3. Personally, I think your pruning method is just fine. I tend to do "ratty" or "control" pruning. Too big=control pruning. Too brown=ratty pruning. The nice thing about growing through a shrub is that "ratty" isn't noticed. :)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9158935

What about he ones that bloom in July through Sept. Aren't those group 3?
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9158959

If it's their initial bloom, they would be group 3. I found everything blooming earlier this year, I suppose due to the early heat we had. Galore is in full bloom right now, group 3, as is John Huxtable, also group 3. Generally, if it's initial bloom is April/May it's a group 1 or 2. If the initial bloom is June/July, group 3. Makes it easy if you lose track of clems so you at least know which are group 3 and can be hard pruned in March.

Thumbnail by venu209   Thumbnail by venu209

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9158998

You are right about things blooming early. I hope I keep getting blooms on my group 3's since they are blooming early.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9159054

I've just started watching this thread, came in from the heat and had some computer time.
Here is an article that may help:

Prune group two clematis in late winter before new growth appears. Clip away dead and dying stems, leaving healthy wood intact. After the first flowers die, prune the tips of some healthy stems. Choose a healthy bud about 4 inches from the tip, and cut the stem just above that bud. Leave at least half of the stems untouched, or your clematis could go into shock.

Prune group three clematis in early spring when the buds show signs of growth. Cut all the old stems just above the lowest healthy pair of buds, about 6-12 inches from the ground. This group requires the most drastic pruning because old stems do not produce flowers
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9159551

Hello clematis lovers! So glad to be back online.

Etelka - did Henryi get around to blooming?

Lee - that is unusual with Crystal Fountain. Mine exploded with blooms this year after a poor performance in 2011.

Carolyn - I'll have to check my Mme. Julia since I only planted her last fall but yours is so beautiful.

Marie - Try to cut back the dying clematis on the stump, load it up with manure and give it a big drink of Epsom Salt and let us know what happens to it.

Marilyn - I have one hot pepper plant that always remains potted and I bring it in each fall and barely water it over the winter. The method works for me.

Never hesitate to cut back a dead stem of a clematis. You can't possibly hurt a dead stem! I do cut back many group 2's after bloom if I want a fuller plant.

Ashva has delighted me with the recent burst of blooms!

Moonfleet is wonderful in mostly shade. This is also the first year it is blooming after being planted in the fall of 2011.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 10, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9159656

Pirl, I think my pepper plants were losers! Love the color on those 2 clems!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9159677

Thank you, Marilyn. I love the colors as well, especially Ashva, which isn't a huge flower but any size bloom on a clematis is fine with me.

I did check Mme. Julia and she has three blooms but she's also in much more shade than sun and was also just planted last fall.

That pepper must have been a lucky one. I very seldom buy any since Jack grows ours from seed so maybe it was a freebie at one nursery.

More blooms and a lot more growth on so many clematises. Finally Patricia Ann Fretwell looks pretty.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9159705

A few weeks ago I had my husband rip out one boxwood and I got the other one out of the spot where it was not being a good neighbor to my clematis pitcheri. There was way too much root competition and I was thrilled that pitcheri even survived. Here's the photo (taken 5/27) of poor pitcheri after I dug it out - such small roots! I potted it up (5/29) with the usual manure, compost, bonemeal and gave it a good drink of Epsom Salt and can't believe the growth it has put on in just two weeks - photo taken 6/10.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9159719

Back in March I had planted two of Venosa Violacea (from Walmart) in a self-watering pot and kept it on the kitchen windowsill. As you may recall it did give me one beautiful bloom. Then it went outside and I decided to cut it back for the health of the roots (5/29). Sorry the photo does not show that there are two clem's in the pot. Fast forward to 6/10 and look at all the new growth! I may pinch it tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9159728

Hello everyone, it's been nice to catch up on everyones posts and beautiful blooms. I have been taking lots of pictures, and just haven't had time to post them because I've been taking care of the DH, who is doing extremely well now, and work has been crazy. When I started to download all of the pictures that I have taken over the last few weeks, they numbered over 1000, LOL.

Here are some picture taken from today. Pink Champagne has continued to bloom, and is now caught up in and is supporting trumpet lily Pink Perfection. The second pic is from last week. I'm really happy with this combination.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9159734

Welcom back, Pirl, I missed you. It has been raining here very hard for 2 days, more is coming. We need the rain but not at one time. My clematis Henryi is doing good for first year, has a bud but no flower yet. I hope he learns to swimm, the water is high in my yard. By the time it drains, more rain came. When I look at your clematis, they always look so green. Some of my clems, Rebecca and H Young is kind of yellow at places, I wander what is the cause of it. My ugly grasshoppers are around, I have been placing the bait in different areas in front, but they are just live and well. I have been on the hunt for them, and using my sharp scisors. Did you missed being an the computer? I had one time my computer in shop and that is when I realized how much I depend on it for company. I guess it is better then singles bars????
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9159747

Arlene, you've got the magic potion for clematis. I'm glad your potted clematis are doing so well. The combination of things that you recommend to amend to soil when planting has really made a difference for my plants here.

Here's the first bloom on Otto Froebel, it's now over 3ft tall, and was only planted in April. The growth of all the clematis here has also been helped by all the rain that we've been getting.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012

Post #9159749

Lovely combination, Annette. It's no surprise that you love it. Who wouldn't? Glad to hear DH is doing well. Downloading 1000 is a lot of photos. Today I downloaded 230 and thought that was a lot until I read your post!

Kiseta - Please take a photo when it's not raining, of your yellowed leaves. If they are all at the bottom it just might be the older leaves getting ready to drop off as nature dictates. If the yellowing is on newer leaves I'll do a search and see what I can find out for you. Those grasshoppers just won't leave your flowers alone! You'll need a scissors in each hand to do battle with them.

I am lost without the computer but I'm sure computers are safer company than singles bars! LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9159756

Otto is looking good, Annette! The rain does help and regardless of the rainiest springs I haven't lost any clem's to rain, just to overwatering on my part believing at the time they couldn't get enough water...wrong! It is a mistake I only made once, thankfully.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9159761

John Warren with Asiatic lily Lolly Pop, which has been blooming intermittently for the past few weeks.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9159762

Arlene

Welcome back - I missed you!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9159769

Pretty, Annette. I have had Lollipop in bloom for a few weeks now and we love it.

Thanks, Carolyn. I missed you and all my other clematis buddies.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9159807

Thanks Arlene. It's good to be posting again. I'm so thrilled with the garden this year, I've had color since February, and usually we would be getting real hot here now, but the frequent rains every week has helped to keep the temps down here, and has really helped the new plants put in to do well.

Here is Daniel Deronda, and Durandii.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9159811

Durandii is planted on the same trellis with my noid, across from the variegated hydrangea.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9159819

Both Deronda and Durandi are such lovely colors.

Your siting of clem's, their partners in the garden, your home, pillars and fencing are all so exquisite. You seem to put a lot of thought into everything you do and it shows.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9159857

Thanks Arlene, you are so kind. I have fun in the garden, and believe me I have some color clashes too, from when I first started gardening. There are some plants that need moving around, I just need to keep them labelled so that I can do some transplanting in the fall. Here is spider daylily Azure Wings and clematis Liberation. The first few blooms are small, but the plant is now putting on some growth.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9159914

Another lovely combo. Here Liberation is more pink with a dark stripe. I do enjoy Pamela Harper's theory of Color Echoes and try for it as often as possible in our gardens. There will always be some, "Oh, no!", combinations to change.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9159924

So true, I'm trying to do better with the color echo theory.

I find it interesting that the same plant can have a different color in different parts of the country. I wonder if soil acidity and type affects the clematis like it affects hydrandeas?

Here is Arabella, a bloom from last week, and again today. The four plants that I've put is have really put on some nice growth, with multiple buds starting to show now. I need to get some trellises to give them some support and height in the beds.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9160185

Many sites say that climate makes a difference. Your Arabella certainly changed in one week. I like both versions.

I don't know about soil acidity vs. alkaline affecting clem's but I do abide by the thought they prefer lime over acid so I do bury a chunk of cement with each one as I plant it even though our soil is mostly neutral pH. Here's a photo of Mme. Julia Correvon with the chunk of cement on the right.

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9160280

Could that have been the problem with the clem that died? Is that I planted next to the pine Tree stump? I am going to dig it up and see if the roots are still good.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9160532

It's always worth a try, Marie, and no matter how small the roots may be it's worth trying to save it. You may want to soak it in water for a day or two to help with recovery. No need to cover the root ball with water - an inch is fine and put it in a dappled shade spot. Let us know how it looks.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I had dental work done this morning.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9161353

Remember my lantern eating Jackmanii? Well, this year has been no different. It silently climbs up and then gets inside the lantern while I'm busy with other gardens.

1. May 8th as it invades the lantern.
2. May 31st it becomes too much of a good thing. I cut it back that day.
3. June 1 - looking much neater.
4. June 11th - in full bloom, no harm done by cutting it back.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9161406

That is what some of my clems look like at the top. So it is ok to cut those long runs back , and I will still get blooms?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9161412

Group 2 or group 3?

Jackmanii is a group 3 so I can say with certainty that it will give you more blooms but I'm not sure of the others.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9161421

LOL Arlene. You cracked me up about the lantern eating Jackmanii. It's gorgeous, I wish a few of my clematis would consume some of my garden objects ;-)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9161448

It's one I don't feed, Annette! Imagine if I did feed it!

The Candida that's 20' up into the magnolia is the next to get a major trimming though I don't expect more blooms. It's given the best it could this year and it deserves a bit of a rest.

The Jackmanii that devours the compost piles is up for inspection next. It must be something special in the Jackmanii's genes because the one at the old stump has taken off in three directions. If you don't hear from me tomorrow you'll know its tendrils choked me.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9161486

Too funny, and I hope it doesn't. I'm so glad you told us about pruning during the growing season. I'll have to do a few of the older clematis soon, to get those second flushes of blooms.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9161822

Any of the group 2 clem's that finished blooming can be cut back now. The generally accepted rule is to cut back by one third to one half but sometimes a clem will require more or less - it all depends on how it looks to you. If it's overwhelming in size I'd go to pruning by half. If you're willing to sacrifice another flush of blooms you can cut a straggly one much lower to encourage more stems. A good drink of Epsom Salt would help with that and manure is always a good idea.

Remember Hummingbird Farms advice that no one ever killed a clematis by pruning it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9161989

What great temptations here at such fantastic prices! Many are just $9.95.

http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.kwsearchpost/genusOnly/Clematis/index.htm

All clematises I've bought from Garden Crossings were well rooted in 5.5" pots and they've all done very well for me.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 12, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9162449

Pirl, your Jackmanii is a beauty indeed! Oooh, many tempting clems on that site!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9162471

The rain finnaly stoped and I went out to take some photos. My Sunset is doing good, this is her 3rd flush of butds. Daniel Deronda is all chewed up by the grasshoppers. My Rebecca is sprouting, but her and one of the HF Youngs have yellowing leaves, I don't know what is the problem. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9162473

These are the Rebecca and the Young clems yellowing leaves, but they are budding. Any sugestions. Thanks. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9162518

You're clearly doing everything right, Etelka, to have three flushes of blooms on Sunset! Poor Daniel Deronda! Shame on those grasshoppers.

I don't know why the leaves are yellowing but you could cut off each yellowing leaf and then see if the new leaves are green. I'll bet they will be.

If that fails you could cut each one back but I'd hesitate to do that until you remove the yellowed leaves first.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9162771

Pirl, sometimes I think you are the evil clematis temptress ;)

I noticed Galore is in there for sale. If anyone wants a very vigorous and easy clem, that's one of them. Their picture is true, too. When you stand back from it a bit, it appears as if each bloom is kissed with a white star in the middle. And the bonus?... a group 3.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9162846

That's my job in life, Louise!

I liked Galore for the starry look and Rosemoor's description sounds great as well. First I have to find a spot for each of them. I did find an unbelievable site for trellises of all kinds as well as obelisks and trellis planters. The best part may be that most items ship for $5.00 - unheard of in recent times.

Loved this one: http://www.simplytrellises.com/garden-trellises/planter-with-trellis/squarevinylkensingtonplanterwithtrellis.cfm

More here - same company: http://www.simplytrellises.com/garden-trellises/155881 4295046339.cfm
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9163202

I had one that was a triple like those. Dear Hubby threw it out on me with out one day with out me knowing. Saying " well it was broke " I could have hit him. The top had come off after it fell over in a storm, that was all. Now I see the prices to replace it and I am really sad. Thy would be easy to make. Get a wooden planter and nail a wooden trellis to it. It might be cheaper than 200.00.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9163310

We have white painted wooden boxes on each side of the garage so the look of one in vinyl with a matching trellis appeals to me. No painting required is a big advantage at our ages. Jack made the boxes, reinforced all corners, and screwed them securely. He is an accomplished wood worker. The one thing he didn't count on was the weight and force of the soil so the sides are weakening and some screws are now visible and can't be forced back in place.

They do have many other trellises less than $100. and for just $5.00 shipping or free shipping.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9166792

My nice Ruutel is having mini flowers, it is so funny they are all a like, but smaller.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9166857

That's still nice, Etelka. We clematis lovers take what the plant gives us. The President and Hagley Hybrid are still producing lots of blooms here as is Ashva, which just started last week. The Jackmanii's are all beserk, as usual.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 15, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9166882

We are in the 90s and dry here. I have watered my clems today and am going to put some more compost mulch on top. I am considering giving each of them a handful of rosetone. Comments please.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9166932

Sounds good to me, John. The only time clematises don't get fed any specific food like rose or tomato food is when they're still in bud.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 15, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9166935

Thanks Arlene . I just wanted to be sure

John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9166942

It hit 75 here today but I came in at 73 degrees and fell sound asleep then went back out around 4 PM. The heat bothers me more with each passing year. I don't know how you can work in 90 degree heat, John.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 15, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9166972

Susan and I spent most of the day in the garden. We would work for 30 minutes and then in the air conditioning for 30 minutes.

we are oredicted to have a full week of this.

John
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9167128

We had so much rain for a while that two of my new clems wilted, Blue Light and Purpurea Plena Elegans. I'll keep an eye on them, and hope they recover eventually. Now the prediction is for 70's for a few days, climbing up into the 90's by mid-week., and not a drop in sight through next weekend. From one extreme to the other... Yikes!

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9167261

A beutuful morning, my Sunset is showing off, it is full of buds and flowers. Also Hf Young is doing a new budding even that its leaves are yellowing on the bottom. It will be a nice day to pull everything together, like mow the yard, paint two lawn chairs and firtilize this morning. Etelka
ps, I got my first glasses yesterday, I shure have been spending to much time in the garden and not enough time in the house. I can see dust now, wow.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9167302

kiseta: I have learned to try and ignore the dust. I use to do it every week, now I figure I have better things to be doing with my time. Like playing in the garden's, or shopping for more plants.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9167316

What seems to be your problem with Blue Light and Purpurea Plena Elegans, Pam. You said wilt but have the leaves gone black or are they all just wilted? I often cut mine back to the ground if I spot a problem like that to help them bounce back. More manure, Epsom Salt and more mulch can be helpful.

Etelka - I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you not to wear glasses in the house! Dusting is just a hobby to occupy your mind during rainy days or for writing down reminders of what has to be done in the garden. No one of any value would ever remember a dusty coffee table after seeing all your blooms.

Marie - I agree. Dusting and cleaning are probably fine jobs for those who don't garden, not for any of us.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 16, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9167361

The house comes in a poor second this time of year...gardens are more important! Pam's clems had green leaves, Pirl, but they were wilted...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9167392

You bet, Marilyn!

Are the clematises in full sun? Too much water?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 16, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9167441

One was in full sun & I think the overhead irrigation system was in the area...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9167621

Maybe Pam could post a photo of each ailing clem. That's no guarantee I'll have an answer or be able to help but I can research it.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9168276

The Purpurea turned completely black. I'm thinking the pot was in too much sun? So I pruned off the dead stems and moved it back to morning sun only for now so it doesn't dry out. This week coming up will be a tough one, hot and dry. Blue Light is in the ground, by a trellis between the driveway and the house. Only some leaves were wilted, I think only on one stem. It gets some afternoon sun, but filtered. I thought it would be OK with just a few vinca stems over it, but that may not be enough if the sun hits it directly as it moves between tall trees and shrubs. I mixed lots of manure and compost in, used re-constituted water crystals, and piled lots of mulch on top when I planted it a couple of weeks ago, and gave it Epsom salts then and a couple of times since. When I saw it was wilting, I moved a small-ish stone over the roots. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

All the rest are doing well. I haven't gotten them all planted yet, but they all look good. I've been rushing around the place whenever I have the time, trying to get caught up with all the things that should have been finished by our frost date, June 1. Today was very productive, all that's left that's really urgent is mulching the last few areas so they survive the week. Hopefully I'll have time to get the last few clems potted up at least.

Sizaja Ptitsa's bud is still firmly closed. It's a tease... I'll get a pic of that too.

Pam

Edited to correct name

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 4:47 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9168398

You did the right thing with PPE. It should recover just fine even if it doesn't show up again until next year. Some just do that and two local gardeners have had it happen for years. You can cut the bad stem off from Blue Light. Cool and moist roots are what the clematises want so any large stone should work.

If you don't have the time to plant each clem in time for the heat coming in mid-week, make a deep trench and bury them there, covering it with a lot of mulch or compost to help keep them cool.

We'll look forward to seeing Osaja when it does bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9168404

Let's continue here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265378/
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9168430

"I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you not to wear glasses in the house! Dusting is just a hobby to occupy your mind during rainy days or for writing down reminders of what has to be done in the garden. No one of any value would ever remember a dusty coffee table after seeing all your blooms."
Love it!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9168434

Probably a male doctor who doesn't garden, cook or clean.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America