Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Repairing a 300gal rubbermaid stock tank

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9130771

Can it be done? Has anyone done it and did it last (the repair).
There is on on Craigs list it needs a small (1-2 inch ) crack and I would like to go from a 150gallon. This tank would cost almost 300.00 if I buy it new. This one is 25.00.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Kerrie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9132087

Because it's already sturdy, you could line it with really cheap pond liner. Pond liner "can" get expensive, but that's usually because you need a 40mil thickness for a normal pond. You won't need that if all you're doing is sealing the crack, and can go with 20 mil, which is MUCH cheaper. Check on ebay for prices, they usually offer good deals for smaller pond peices. Measure down each wall, acrosse the widest part of the bottom of the tubby, and back up the other side, so you know what size you'll need, with a little dangle over the edge extra measure.
Also look into pond liner sealing tape, for liner leaks. You can also find it on ebay. Sometimes they sell just a patch size for small tears. Make sure you get the one sided stick (it comes in single sided stick and double sided for joining 2 peices of liner) It's very gummy and rubbery, and usually does a very good job of repairing leaks.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9136779

Also,
Drs. Foster & Smith has it is their cataloague in small amts. or roll. Most of their pond stuff is on sale now.

Hint: My son also has a stock tank for pond and he hangs his acquatic plant pots along the edge with just enough into water to cover roots. Climbing into a 3' deep tank isn't fun so this would save you some effort when caring for pond plants.
He completely hide the tank by facing it with split faced landscape type blocks, redwood cut to fit around top edges and rope light stapled into wood. He built a skipppy filter with a spout coming out to return water to pond after filtering. Its really cute.

Good luck with fixing up your pond.

Bonnie

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9138141

Well I didn't get the tank it wouldn't fit in the back of my truck, it has a fiberglass cap and it is too heavy to do for 1 thing.
I am still on the hunt.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 26, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9139860

For the savings on the tank cost, I would have gone to Uhaul and rented a truck for $15 and bought a 6-pak for a buddy or two to help lift it. lol.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9140719

Yeah we haven't lived here long so I don't have those kinds of friends here =(
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9142394

Never mind Chic you will come up with someting. You know old saying "necessity is mother of invention" . I know a guy that built his pond out of wood and coated it with some thick gooey stuff and it hasn't leaked. It looks like a log home would look, really cute. Ponds lend themselves to many designs and types. One man on Utube collected old cement blocks a few at a time, Framed up a pond and put a large piece of glass in it as he wanted to view fish from below. Real cool.
It was all above ground of course.
Good luck, don't give up on your idea of having a pond.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9143303

Bonnie,
I saw that glass sided one on Utube! Really interesting! Great ideas, by lots of people...your only limit is your own imagination!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9143815

How true!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America