Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchid Cactus: A mystery gift

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 33, Views: 349
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9131053

I was given 6 or so Epiphyllum type plants, this one being one of them. In addition to the larger buds, there are twice as many very small ones that I am sure will not open. Any clues as to what it is? Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 21, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9132404

Stick with what the tag says, at least until you have open flowers. There many pink Epies and many are not named. Maybe when it opens, it will have something distinct enough for an Id.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9132552

The tag is mine and just says 'epiphyllum unk'. But I will post an open bloom when that happens. Xuling
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9134370

This early evening it started to open. Tomorrow in the daylight hopefully it will be more open and easier to get a good photo. Are they "staymans", the long slender threads that end in a violet color? All the others that have opened in the past are white. Will post some more photos tomorrow, if it survives the evening. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9135733

The blossom has opened wide. And the colors kept changing throughout the day due to the sun movement. It is beautiful, not only the flower but the whole plant. Anyone know for sure what it is? Thanks, Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling
Click an image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9137594

fully open

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9137595

3 blossoms open out of many

Thumbnail by xuling

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9138148

Ackermanii. Stems never 3-angled, flowers not campanulate, stigma lobes purplish red - species - D. ackermanii
A really nice species plant to have xuling. Flowers usually 4-5 inches. bob

Mine is a hybrid, hence the white lobes. I would much rather have your species.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9138659

Hola orchidman1, thanks for the information. I can almost make a name tag now. But what is the "D." before the ackermanii??
That is how much I know about the mystery gift flowers. Do they like filtered shade in the summer? And protection from the rains and frost in the winter? Do they like summer watering alot? See what I mean about being ignorant... Thanks for any info. Xuling
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9139111

Hi xuling, The D. is Disocactus. I too have this one. Love it! Mine receives filtered sun all year long. Normal watering, unless it's REAL hot….Which lately here in NE. Fl., it has been. Unusually so for this time of year.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9139523

thanks tlm1, now I can place a name tag and place the photos into a folder :) xuling
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9139534

Glad to help xuling….Enjoy it!!!!
I might add to elaborate on the other ???'s….Feed with a balanced fertilizer, and do protect from frost…:-)))
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9139667

Thanks for the additional info. Last winter I had them all on the front porch (along with 50-60 C/S) under cover from the rains and frost. They are all out now until it turns cold again then back they go to the covered front porch. Here is the plant today with four large flowers open and 7 buds about ready to open. Look at the first photo for a good comparison. Xuling

This message was edited May 26, 2012 2:51 PM

Thumbnail by xuling

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9140283

Disocactus Ackermanii is the full name, Disocactus ackermannii is an epiphytic cactus from tropical forests in Veracruz and Oaxaca, It is the true epiphyllum from which our hybrid versions was developed. Most acke.mani plants are hybrids developed from species plants, The plant is very hardy and blooms well. It needs filtered sunlight and does well when placed in a tree outside. In winter, protect plant from temps lower than 45 but it does well in cooler temps during its rest cycle. Feed a 10-10-10 fertilizer monthly and very little water during December-Feb time period, Enjoy this prize plant! bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9140906

Muchas gracias.I didn't see any of them in Veracruz or Oaxaca, but next time I will look better. A little later I will post a photo of 10 of the blooms open. It is quite a sight. Xuling
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9140928

Here is the plant with 10 blooms. It is just stunning, and changes constantly as the sun light moves overhead and filters through. It turned out to be quite a nice gift. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9140938

Here is another photo with the sun higher in the sky and filtering the light through the olive tree under which the plant sits. The colors change alot. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9159399

orchidman----

I will piggy-back on this ID if you don't mind...

I have one that bloomed for the first time in 6 years as well. It just blew me away!

Is this also an D-ackermanii?

I have a second one that bloomed about 4 years ago. This year--it is covered in buds!
Like--every "leaf"...(what DO you call the "leaves" on an Epi???).

#1 and #2---is this a D. Ackermanii?
#3--This is my other Epi. It has bloomed twice in the 6 years.
This year--it is covered all over with buds! The two have somewhat different "leaves"...

Thanks for the ID. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9159408

Hi Gitagal, My first thought is #3 looks lie D. ackermannii….Are the colors true on pics#1 & #2 ? If so, then I've no idea…They are beautiful!

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 3:34 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9159419

#1--Here are all the fronds, shown on pic. #3 above covered in buds...
#2--First 2 blooms on the same Epi about to open.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9159433

Tim--we cross-posted...
I am afraid to post more than 2 pictures--as they will not send.

Now i will post a couple pictures at a time to show you what appears to be a problem--but is not.
These will be on the Epi in pictures #1 and #2.

I must say--that both these spend the winter hanging by my LR window.
There is no full sun--but it is the best I have to offer..,.

The "problem" is that the top surface of many of the older leaves look calloused and yukky.
They have all kinds of gray areas, pits and marks.
The bottoms of these same leaves are perfectly solid green and healthy looking.
What gives?
BTW--I see bud formations on this Epi as well--so I will have an encore from last summer.

For simplicity sake--I call the epi that you think is the Ackermanii---Epi #1. The one with the gorgeous blooms
in pinks and reds --I call Ep[i #2. OK?

The colors on Epi #2 are not enhanced in any way. However--in a picture taken in late evening
the pink is not so apparent. Everything looks red.

SO!
Pic. #1 is of Epi #2--the one with the gorgeous blooms. The plant itself looks fairly ugly...
" #2--shows some of the callouses and marks on the TOPS of the fronds

will continue with one more send

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 4:09 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9159442

These calloused areas are dry and solid. No rot.

Here are a couple more pictures. Any diagnosis will be appreciated.
As I said--it is mostly cosmetic--does not seem to be affecting the plant.

#1--is the tops of the longer fronds
#2--is near the top of the pot.
#3--Will try for 3! This is #2 Epis beautiful bloom later in the day when it was getting dark.

My Epis hang in my back yard and get some direct sun as the sun passes between my 2 big trees.
Then it gets dappled sun.
There plants are now 7 years old from 2 leaf cuttings I received from Kachinagirl in CA in 2005.

Thanks again---Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9159454

xuling-----

I apologize for highjacking your Thread--but they are on the same topic.
Hope you don't mind...we can ALL learn...
Gita
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9159537

Hi Gita, My D.ackermannii also has some "pit,grey,marked areas", but don't seem to be causing problems….Yes, some of the 'leaves' do look quite ugly….But I don't have a solution for that 'problem'. Maybe someone with more experience will have some idea….I do know that this is the first year, in many, that I've not had as many blooms as in years past. Pitted, grey areas the problem? I just don't know… Maybe….

My D. ackermannii stays outside,under the shelter of a neighbors Yew (Taxus) shrub/tree. The weather has been so strange this past year, that it's hard to say what the 'trouble' could be.

Thumbnail by tlm1

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9159561

Well---

We never had a real winter either here. Like an endless spring...
Played havoc with all kinds of garden issues. Trees blooming in March? Bulbs up way too early!

Too many biting bugs! Too many weeds! Everything being almost a month and a half ahead of
schedule! However--the early bird eager-beaver customers paid the price. After spring like days forever--
we had 3 days straight of frost at night.
I work for a HD--and it was so discouraging to see all the annuals coming in so early--just a $$$ grab!
And people were buying them all. I just sighed and thought--"You will pay for your impatience"...

I am a pretty knowledgeable gardener. I can advise people well and talk down-to-earth to them.
Share my experiences, stuff I know that is NOT in any books, and guide them to the right products.
I know they appreciate me not just pushing products on them. I talk from experience.

LOVE what I can do!!!! LOVE to educate people!

Because of DG swapping (10 years and going)--I have all these plants I grow that no one has ever heard of here.
Brugs...Daturas--Epis--Ric Rac cactus--Pregnant and Climbing Onions--Brazilian Plume Flower--
Easter Cactus---have a mature Wintersweet Shrub--(makes several 100's of seeds annually) etc...etc...

We hold 2 Plant Swaps here a year and one big Seed Swap. (in the Mid Atlantic--come and visit! We are a very
active and friendly and helpful bunch)
Check my Trade List to see all my seeds i have...I dare you!!!Should be about 55 different ones--and it grows every year...
The funny thing is that I hd people asking me to mail them rooted Brug cuttings to Florida! They should have
them all over the place there! Right?

I have a small space to garden in as I live in a development. But I manage to have a couple of this and a couple of
that and collect a lot of seeds. Even some from plants at HD at the end of the season.

OK! I have digressed enough! My usual problem! I am too chatty...

Gita

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9159681

One thing I love about threads is that they go where they go and I learn new things; one cannot high jack a thread as it has a life of its own :). Many of my leaves look similar to yours, although not as bad. But they were this way when given to me and haven't changed. This is new to me so I am no help is making them better. Xuling

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9159805

xuling---

My "leaves"on this particular Epi have also never looked like this.

Both my Epis almost died a couple of years ago in the house for the winter.
The fronds got all dessicated and dry. There seemed to be NO life left in them.
I was so worried that i would lose them!
I had some cuttings rooted from my Epi #2. I found two stems that seemed to have some life left to them

SO! i potted those and the cuttings I had into a 10" Hanging basket pot. And--they went "POOF!" and grew
into healthy, robust plants.
I think they had been too pot bound in the 5" ceramic HB that they were growing in.
So--I gave them some "freedom'--and they thrived and bloomed.

Now they are, again root bound in the 10" HB's. I do not know if I should move them on or not.
I have read that they like being root bound--and, maybe that is why they both are blooming at this time.

Where do i go from here? Sometimes a piece breaks off--and i stick it in a small pot and it roots in a matter of weeks.
Then, in about 2 years, I have a presentable, small, new Epi to share. And--so it goes...

Wish I had a sun room---then i could keep some of these tropical plants in it to live happily through the winter.
I don't. BUT--nothing has ever died on me either. Must be meant to be---the way it is.
I do not fuss over plants too much. Either "YOU make it!"--or "You don't"! Gone! It is ONLY a plant!!!

Thanks for your understanding on how all these Threads work. Some people get all pissy if you digress...

I take it you are from China???? Chinese people tend to go crazy over the Wintersweet Shrub.
Would you like me to mail you some Wintersweet seeds??? I have a lot!
BUT--it takes about 5-7 years from seed before they bloom.

Here is my big W-Sweet shrub. It is now about 15 yrs. old. I cut it back last fall, as it was getting too
dangerous for me to climb up a ladder to collect the seed pods. So I pruned it! Pretty hard.
It still bloomed this winter and it has re-grown double its fullness...AAAGGHHH! Help!!!

If you go to PF and search for Wintersweet Shrub--many of the pictures are from me.
Let me add a link here for you.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/96504/

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9159894

Gitagal: Of the three, none are Ackermanii. So many Epie Hybrids are so much alike it is hard to identify them. I'm usually satisfied that they bloom regularly and are as healthy as yours appear. They are a very special plant. bob
1-Oxypetalum
2-Alchemy
3-April Showers

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9159903

Hola Gitagal, thanks for the offer, but I have no room, everything I remove gets converted to C/S beds, otherwise I would take a seed pod. I have never heard of the shrub. Here is another plant that was given to be at the same time. I have a note that it is a white epi, but the colors of the blossom coverings certainly are not white. Well I don't have long to wait before they bloom. The giver told me that she had just repotted it, but it was in an ugly white plastic container so I replanted it into a bigger clay pot, and this is what I get, 17 blossoms. And no I am not Chinese nor do I live there. My name is my girl kitties's name, which is a Chinese name. Her brother is named Xuan, but they are pure bred cats with bloodlines back to Thailand. Their breed is 'Korat' in case you want to look them up. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9160162

Orchidman--

Any comments on the callous, blotchy appearance on the leaves of my Epi? I'd like
a knowledgeable opinion...

It's OK! I don't need names. That is like trying to ID a pink Brug...impossible.

xuling---A cat's name? OK! Will look up the breed...
You sure have a knack with your Epis--or is it just California?
Here in Maryland--no one has heard of all these plants I have.
Most people on DG in our area now have at least one of each.

Gita

#1---Mu huge Ric Rac cactus (also in the Orcxhid cactus family)
#2--My 2 Epis spending the winter by my LR window.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9162720

All the epis that I have were given to me, and they have that "dry wood" look to parts (see the photos below), but the they turn green at the end and grow. The pics aren't very good because they are under an olive tree and the wind was blowing and the shadows were moving, so these two were the only good shots. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9162742

If they are continuing to grow, and otherwise doing well…Then I think I'd leave good enough alone! :-)
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9162768

Xuling: The grey growth that covers your stems at the base of your plant is natural on some Hybrids. Not to worry. The other plant shows damage around the base which could have been caused by any number of things. It will not harm your plant. Injuries occur easily with succulents and callous over quickly with no harm being caused. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9162985

Thanks for the info. :) xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America