Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: My chick has a red "blister". Anyone know what it could be?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 10, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9131512

Hi All, one of my Buff Orpington chicks (approx two weeks old) has no down on her backside. Her vent is clear and she seems to be pooping normally. This morning, I noticed her rubbing the area, and there is a large dark red growth just below the vent. I would call it a blister, but it isn't round. It is just an irregular shape growth. I'm starting to think that she had another one because she has a scab in the same area. One of the other two tried to peck at the growth, and she keeps rubbing it. She is behaving normally otherwise. I tried to get a photo, but can't hold her and take a photo at the same time. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9131605

Strangest thing, the blister / swelling disappeared...what is going on!? I've been the owner of chicks / chickens for a whole 36-hours so I have less than no experience here.

Thanks again
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 21, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9131921

I`m not sure, but I would keep an eye on the others,they may be picking her,that happens sometimes(called feather picking) if they are to hot or bored or just because they want to.It can be serious if she bleeds they can pick her to death,if you see them picking her spray some blu-kote on her or remove her.Hope this helps
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9131951

Thanks, Green. Other than the baldness, everything seems to be okay now. I'm still watching her, though. I can't imagine what that blister thing was, or why she has a scab there either.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9132358

The only thing that occurs to me is a tick, but then, I've been seeing so many perhaps I'm just focused...

shudder

This message was edited May 22, 2012 7:03 AM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 21, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9132814

Ewww!
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9133130

Thanks Catmad, it definitely wasn't a tick...just some sort of irritation / swelling. She seems okay and the other two aren't picking on her so what ever its was seems to have resolved itself.

In the meantime, these chicks are Rascals! They are running around insanely all over their cage, making lots of noise, picking fights with each other, flapping litter all over the floor, and occasionally popping outside of the dog crate that they are in! I can't take my eyes off of them for one minute or they are getting into trouble over something. I'm trying to keep them entertained by giving them a stick to perch on - it was fun watching them learn to sit on it because they kept falling off. Then I gave them some scrapes of lettuce which distracted them for a few seconds before they started fighting over the scraps. They are great fun, but I won't be sorry to see them move outside in a month!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9133401

I'm glad :) Ticks were the only thing i could think of that could be protruding and fluid filled but disappear completely.
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9137690

Hi All, my chicks seem to be happy and healthy. They are starting to bond with me too...two of them will sit very contentedly in my hand now. I love watching them play Keep Away with green peas. Attached is a photo from yesterday...I think they are going through a growth spurt!

I have a quick question for everyone: does anyone have glassboard floors in their coop? It would be an extra $80 in the coop. I feel like I could just cut a stall mat ($37), or use vinyl stick on tiles from Home Depot (Free since I have some old ones leftover from a long ago project) and have a perfectly good floor. Anyone have a preferred flooring for their coop?

Thank you!

Thumbnail by Penannophia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9137777

Mine picked apart a stall mat, and I tried cheap sheet vinyl flooring with the same result. I think the stick on tiles would probably be fine.

For now, I just have painted plywood.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 25, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9138661

I have painted press board

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America