Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchid Cactus: is this normal?

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 3, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9131643

this is my first epi from a cutting of a friends. the entire plant has flat leaves except this one piece that is growing up the left side of the plant. it has become triangular or 3D. could it be some other plant that i put in there. it looks attached. it has never flowered. i just dont want to cut something that i might regret. thanks for any help or sugestions.

you can see the second picture the one on the left reaching for the awning, and the third picture on the awning. it is skinnier than the rest as well.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9132352

Looking aroun d all my epis, I see this sort of thing often. Some plants will just pop out a different type of stem.
It looks perfectly okay to me. I have some epis that have been hanging types for years suddenly send up a long vertical stem or two.
They seem to have minds of their own when it comes to growing.
I have found that a few epis can send a long stem like this from another part of the pot or even outside the pot coming from the roots not the plant itself
Jean.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9132379

Thanks jean, I will eventually cut it off and put it back in the pot eventually. I know I have dragon fruit as well so I thought it might have been a piece that got in there or something. I hope they flower soon, I put osmocote in there I hope that is enough.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 21, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9132506

I just looked at mine, and those three sided branches have spent blooms on them. Some others produce new leaves along them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America