Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Calibrachoa -- have you tried them yet?: Love this plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Calibrachoa -- have you tried them yet?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Calibrachoa -- have you tried them yet?Replies: 8, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 21, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9131646

We grow Proven Winners Superbells in our greenhouse at work.
LOVE THEM.
They don't need dead headed, and they grow and grow, and bloom, and bloom.

"When buying Superbells, you know they are sterile and will never shutdown mid-season to put energy into producing seed instead of flowers. Being sterile - Superbells just keep producing more and more flowers throughout the season. Superbells also don't need to be deadheaded like other calibrachoa do. If you are fertilizing and still not seeing any flowers, it has to do with the biology of the flower." - Proven Winners Facebook

I always suggest them to customers, especially if they want something to put in the bright hot sun.
This is definitely our most heat/drought resistant plant, and because its so hardy to the heat, and dry, its always the least of our worries on hot days in the greenhouse, when keeping everything watered is a constant worry.

They also make GORGEOUS planters.
Love mixing them with geraniums, proven winners supertunias, proven winners superbena, angelonia, and proven winners laguna lobelias.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9131895

Hi LadyAshley! I almost asked to use some of your beautiful PlantFiles photos, but I ended up with Kell's treasure trove. Yours are also gorgeous! I, too, love mixing them. I don't know what it is about them, but they are just easy to blend in containers...plays well with others? Thanks for your comment!
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 21, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9132331

Haha no problem! I need to get back to the work place to get some pictures of them now that they should be bigger in our baskets, and pots, and planters!
Just got images of 'Sweet Tart' and 'Cherry Star' in the que. Missing them all grow up while on maternity leave.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9132377

Oh, congratulations! Everything's growing...plants, babies, you...eh? Is cheerry star like Kell's Rosestar?
qterhrs
Friedens, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9133090

No deadheading and they keep flowering is why I love these. They are sterile but they root easily. They are expensive to buy here so I brought in 2 plants (one of each color) in the Fall and cut them back. In Feb I potted cuttings and now have a dozen new plants plus the 2 orignal still look great.
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 22, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9133149

Images passed through. here's Cherry Star!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/201583/

They do root easily, its not uncommon to find them rooted at the bases of their vines when I put them in planters.
We sell ours for $4 each at the greenhouse in 4 inch pots, but like you said, they are a very vigorous plant. We put 2 plants in a 10 inch hanging basket and they fill it completely. We also fertilize our plants with jack's classic, and osmocote, and they're in pro-mix soil, and if you think about all the care they receive, it makes it worth it XD.
Ours we always cut back several times while they are young, so that they are nice and full. Everywhere you make a cut, they branch out.
qterhrs
Friedens, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9134651

I guess $4 doesn't sound expensive but I make 12 baskets to split between my house and my daughters house. You are right that they are worth the price cause my daughters house gets morning sun and mine gets afternoon sun and these flowers look great at both homes.
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

May 23, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9135024

I understand, I'm not made of money, and if I wanted to grow my own, I'd have to go through cuttings too lol. Just saying that's why our price is what it is.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9136167

Wow, LadyA, that cherry star is fabulous! They were even selling C. (looking a little tired) at the grocery store. Too bad you can't throw a bunch of seed down like you can for impatiens or basil but we get we pay for. Thank you all for your comments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Calibrachoa -- have you tried them yet? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Information! CLScott 3 May 21, 2012 6:10 AM
Nice article, nice plant sallyg 5 May 21, 2012 9:09 AM
Love the "Cabaret" White improved! NorahE 1 May 24, 2012 12:44 AM
Calibrachoa doniesue43 1 May 24, 2012 12:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America