Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: Need help with Brugmansia seeds....

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 4, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9131720

I need some help with the seeds I am having.. Those seeds is about 5-6 years old.. I moved and put all my stuff into storage.. I just cleaned up and found the brugmansia seeds. Need some advice how to grow them since they are old.. I don't know if I would get luck to make them grow from old seeds.. Thanks!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9131950

Whether you'll have any luck germinating seeds that old depends on the how they were stored. If they were stored in a hot dry area, the embryo in the seed may have run out of energy and died, but it doesn't hurt to try to germinate them. Be patient because it may take months for any viable seed to sprout. If you don't want to wait that long, discard the old seeds and buy fresh seeds. Fresh Brug seeds have the best germination rate. Unless your seeds were stored under ideal conditions, the germination rate will be very poor.

First, remove the cork so it becomes easier to soak the seed properly. Then soak the seeds for 24 hours in warm water to which you have added a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. This sterilizes the seeds and reduces damp off. Since most of the seed probably won't germinate, plant the seeds in a community pot all in one pot. Press the seed firmly onto the surface of sterilized seed starting medium that has been moistened, but is not soaking wet. Cover the top of the pot with plastic and place the pot in bright indirect sunlight.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9197168

I don't think brugmansia seeds last that long. There are some kind of seeds that can last many years (like Amaranth) but I think the average vitality for most seeds is between 2 to 3 years. I know tomato seeds only last 2.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9197439

I just had one to sprout from some seeds that were somewhere over 3 years old.. just how old I can't say.. they were stored in the shipping envelope in a drawer.. I couldn't just toss it.. I had to give it a chance.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9272416

Well it won't work due to old seeds that I did tried that no successful oh well, I still has some few brugs here for long time. =)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America