Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Ground cover for sand dune face on an Oak Mott

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JimIsbell
Ingleside, TX

May 21, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9131787

I live on a ancient sand dune on Corpus Christi Bay Texas, covered with Oak trees that have created a "soil" , as it is, and would like to cover the front of the dune, facing south west.

I have attached two photos of the slope. From where the camera is to the street down below is a drop of 40 feet in elevation. In the foreground you can see some Guinea Grass that I missed on the last mowing.

The soil is NOT rich, mostly sand and oak residue. St Augustine grass grows well in it IF WATERED regularly. Guinea Grass grows with gusto with NO water. I dont want Guinea grass because the city insists that it be kept below 12 inches in height. Guinea grass grows to 5' in height in just a few weeks. Oleander grows also with gusto and no water. I love the flowers of Oleander, but the upkeep is horrendous when the Guinea grass gets inside the bush and cannot be reached with the weed eater and then grows to 10 feet in height!! Texas Olive and Bay Tree also thrive on this slope. I wish the Bay Tree didnt thrive quite so well as it blocks my view of the bay.

Watering is only from rain. 30 inches a year, but all at once during hurricane season.

The slope is almost 40 degrees so mowing MUST be done with a weed eater. It takes 6 hours to mow the front yard and at 75 years of age, I am rapidly reaching the end of my ability to mow it and Social Security wont cover a yard man. Maybe I need to talk to Obama?

I just read the article about Rose Moss and I am wondering if it would spread over the yard and push out the Guinea grass, or would I just be adding to my woes by having to mow the Guinea grass while tromping on my Rose Moss. Would the lack of water kill the Rose Moss?

How much seed would it take to cover 1/4 acre and when should it be broadcast. I assume I can broadcast it since it is self seeding.

Thumbnail by JimIsbell   Thumbnail by JimIsbell
Click an image for an enlarged view.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 6, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9154697

You might check out http://www.theherbcottage.com. They sell vetiver grass and it might work well for your dune. I am gradually planting it around my desert property. Once established it is very drouth tolerant and it's good erosion control. kb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America