Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

I need your help ....

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE THEM ALL THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THEY ARE PERFECT AND THIS MEANS SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As most of you know my father was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma back in October he is in a research study and doing well on his treatments. My DH headed out to Florida on Sat. to see his sister who was diagnosed last month with lung and kidney cancer. He just found out yesterday that it has spread to her brain and liver. Debbie is a single mom who brought up a son (Jason) with childhood leukemia that is thankfully in remission and he is now 22. Unfortunately Debbie was given 3 to 6 months.

The Ladie's Auxillary for VFW in Pelham N.H. where I grew up, will raffle a quilt for me and the money will be donated to cancer research. Without research my Dad and Jason, oh and so many other survivors would not have the chance or time they have now been given. I would like to make 2 quilts. One quilt is for the research donation and the other for my nephew to honor his Mom and him as a cancer survivor.

Here is where I need your help... I would like to have 42 blocks but I appreciate anything you can do. Here is a tutorial of the block I would like to use for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeJp-TIAqc. There is a correction to the cutting directions for this video and is as follows;

!!!!!!!!PLEASE SEE CORRECTIONS FOR MUSLIN FABRIC BELOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Color Fabric

4--3.5 in blocks
1--2x3.5 in rectangle
1--3.5 in square
2--2 in squares (These were missed in the video)

Muslin Fabric CORRECTIONS: The video directions do not seem to be working out at all for the borders on this one. For all the strip cuts below keep the the width cut but change the length to WOF and just square off when you go to the next strip.

2--2x12 in strips (2x WOF and trim)
2--2x9 in strips ( 2x WOF and trim)
2--2x7.75 in strips (2x WOF and trim)

1--3.5 in square (this cut is ok)
1--2x3.5 in rectangle ( this cut is ok)
8-- 2 in squares (this cut is ok)

It seems people like this better than video so here is the link for this if you want to do it this way instead
http://www.quilterscache.com/P/PinkRibbonBlock.html

2 blocks per person (if able) in same color from awareness colorchart.
muslin (OFF WHITE) background
sign quilt blocks (optional) with archival pens please. Your name, a survivor you know, or someone you want to remember who lost their battle.
Blocks should be to me by the end of June Raffle will begin around the 1st week of August. Hope that is enough time everyone.

Thank you all in advance for your help it is sooooo appreciated.

1. cheriffic - 2 burgundy ribbons DONE!
*********cheriffic - 2 Large Lavender Hands blocks for all cancer awareness ( will be center of quilts)

2. Mary- 2 Yellow Ribbons (cheriffic's Mom) Recv'd!!!!

3 Quilter5bdsr- 2 white ribbons Recv'd!!!!!

4. Quilter5bdsr- 2 black ribbons Recv'd!!!!!

5. siliolegma - 2 pink ribbons......Recv'd

6. shuggins - 2 orchid ribbons...Recv'd!!!!!

7. Catbird423 - 2 orange ribbons.....Recv'd

8. Quilter5bdsr -2 gray ribbons...... Recv'd!!!!!!!

9. helenethequeen- 2 dark blue ribbons....... Recv'd!!!

10. barefootT - 2 emerald ribbons..............Recv'd!!!!!

11. kizmo - 2 burgundy /White ribbons Recv'd!!!

12. kizmo - 2 teal/pink/blue ribbons Recv'd!!!

13. siliolegma -2 gold ribbons....................Recv'd!!!

14. kizmo- 2 light blue ribbons Recv'd!!!

15. cheriffic--2 lime ribbons DONE!!!!

16. cheriffic-- 2 teal ribbons DONE!!!!

17. cheriffic-- 2 periwinkle ribbons DONE!!!!

18. cheriffic-- 2 peach ribbons DONE!!!!

19. Qwilter--2purple ribbons.....................Recv'd!!!!!

20. abbisgranma--2 plum ribbons..........Recv'd!!!!

21. cheriffic--2 teal/white ribbons..........DONE!!!!

Editted for changes to the cutting directions for Muslin Fabric using the video!!!!!!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 2:38 PM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 10:21 PM

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by cheriffic Thumbnail by cheriffic
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

When do you need these blocks??? I'm not unpacked yet so it would be a couple weeks at least till I could start sewing.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Do you want them all the same color or do we use the color for the one WE are remembering. Mom had lung and Norm has had melanoma. Melanoma is a black ribbon - would you prefer a different color???

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Jean, that is great I fixed above to show when I need the blocks end of June so I can put together and quilt it by the first week of August. Thank you so much.

Barb, You can pick the color from the chart above I would like each person to send two of the color they pick so I can make the duplicate quilt, I am hoping to get enough donations for blocks to be made that most of the cancers will be shown in the quilt. It does not matter what color a name appears on as the entire quilt is for all cancers. When you write the names on you can put that info on if you like, dates , type of cancer any thing like that, this quilt is for suvivors as well as those who have lost their battle with cancer. I am just trying to get as many of the colors on the chart as I can using 24 blocks each quilt. I hope that was helpful Barb and Thank you too so very much.

Cher

I will make two white ribbons and two black ones......Thought I would outline the white in the lavender color for all cancers so it would show against the light background.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

that would be fantastic Barb thank you so much!
Cher

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I can make two for you.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Oh Karen that is wonderful what color can I put you down for????

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I have two cousins who are breast cancer survivors. So if it's ok I will do pink for them. Unless you need some other colors, I can really do any you want.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Pink is yours I will put your name on it now Thank you very much.
Cher

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I will do two in orchid.

Not to sound goofy, but do you know if this block has written instructions anywhere? I work better from that. If not, I can watch the video and write down the instructions.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Cher, I will make 2 orange ones.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Thank you Sheila and Robin so much this is wonderful.

Sheila no she gives a list of supplies and what you need to cut at the very beginning of the video where you can pause to write it down then she tells you exaclty what to do with it all. Hope that is helpful

Cher

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'd like to do two in gray for Angie, she lost her battle this past winter. She was the coordinator for our Small Christian Community at our church and also our small group hostess.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Mittsy thank you so much.
Thank you all for honoring your friends and family as well as mine it really means alot to me.
Cher

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

I too wil contribute, that is if I may, 2 with pink and 2 in dark blue as I had colon/rectal cancer and survived 2x.
I did contact the MO quilt company asking for pattern, but I will slow down the video and try to work from there, don't understand the XO part, but will work through it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

No problem, I will figure it out.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Helene thank you so much. Sorry the pink has been taken but I will absolutely put you in for the dark blue if you would like to pick another color I would be greatful if not the dark blue is gracious enough. Thank you again
Cher

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Just ignore the x's and o's reference it is another block she did that she was trying to show that it was as easy as that one.
If you cut out all your pieces and put the half sqaure triangles together just follow her in laying them out then piece them like we do any other block. Hope that is helpful everyone.
Cher

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I think quilters cache ribbon block is the same ???

http://quilterscache.com/P/PinkRibbonBlock.html

I will do two, emerald.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

it is not exactly the same but very similar.....

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Thank you Thunder 2 Emerald it is. I am so happy you all are helping me with this. My friend from the Ladies Auxillary is just over the moon about having this quilt made. They are planning a dinner to begin the raffle on August 3rd now so I will be very busy but Iam so proud to display all of your beautiful work for such a great cause. Thank You all from the bottom of my heart.
Cher

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Cher - just found this thread.
I'd like to do 2 yellow ones (bone cancer), but I see that you already have 2 yellow ones coming from your Mom.
Do you want to Only have 2 of each colour? I understand that 2 is because you're making 2 quilts.
Otherwise, I could send 2 white ones, but again - I see you already have white.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Hi Susan, there are 27 colors on the chart for awareness so I want to have 24 out of the 27 colors.
You can pick any color and put your persons name on it. The quilts are to represent all cancers so the placing of the name will not matter and you can write the type of cancer on your block. I am looking for it to look like an autograph kinda quilt. So please pick another color your person will be remebered not matter what color you make. Thank you so very much.
Cher

Hi Cher,
I have cut all my pieces for the blocks. As I look at my muslin, it looks more like a light eggshell than off white. Should I continue or get something closer to white? I'm sure there will be variations in the background colors due to interpretaion of what is off white but I would like your opinion. I am doing white ribbons and they do show against what I have.
Barb

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Cher, I could do 2 of the burgundy/white (neck) and 2 of the teal/pink/blue (thyroid) if you like, are these to be solid colors or like a tone-on-tone colored prints?
And the background of off-white muslin: just normal muslin like quilt backing or an off-white tone-on-tone?

the "white" is a good ? Can I just use white moda- don't have any good muslin.....

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Barb what you have is great that is what I am looking for the stuff we use for backing is it that way the light blocks will show as well.

Kathy Thank you so much that would be great. I am getting there fast this is wonderful.

Helene if it is the stuff we use for backings that is perfect that is just what I am looking for all muslin is good what you have is fine.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

sorry - need to clarify before I start cutting.... solids or prints for the colored parts?

Cher - I'm still not clear - "pick another colour your person will be remembered no matter what colour you pick"?

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Oh sorry Kathy prints or solids whatever you want to do is fine.

Susan I thought you wanted yellow for someone special or the white for someone special. What I meant was that yes I only need two of each color so if you pick say yellow for someone special and it is already taken then that cancer is being displayed already in the quilt.
What I meant by remembered is that if you have a name you are putting on the block do not worry that their name is not on the color of their cancer it is a quilt for all cancers if you want the cancer to be mentioned you can write the type with the persons name. Is that any better I hope.
Cher

Oh yes..........that's clear to me now!!! (sorry, I can sometimes have a "clear as Mud" brain and previously to your last explanation, that's what I was dealing with LOL) NOW I understand completely LOL I had thought you only wanted one person to be able to have the colour...... duh on me lol
Guess today clarily wasn't my 'strong suit' lol

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

ok, did up a test block from the video, even with a scant quarter inch seam, it's a 12" unfinished block, not a 12.5" unfinished like most patterns. Is this what everyone else is getting?

well I just rushed here to find out if anyone has made this block yet. I am finding 2 (2" squ) missing in the cutting instructions for the color and also my 2" corner units do not cover the bottom of the ribbon nicely. and yes not a 12-1/2" block as we are told to cut 12" strips from the white for the sides. - Now if everyone is making this according to instructions then all the blocks will be 12" - I am thinking that be ok.but if someone make from the quilters cache ....How do we proceed?

oh Cher - re-reading, and not clear again.
I have 2 "someone special" - one for Lung (my sister), and one for Bone cancer (my dad), hence the White and Yellow ribbons...........

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Susan I am sorry now it's me who is getting mud brain lol.

I do only want 2 blocks per color

ex: If there are 3 colors left to choose say; red, white, and blue. You decided you want to do a blue block then I only have red and white to choose from after you take blue you see what I mean?
So we have 27 colors of ribbons I need 24 colors used so if 24 people all pick a different color then I will get most of the 27 if I do not get 24 people to make 2 blocks then I will then make 2 from each of the remaining colors to make the blocks I need.
I hope that I am wording this ok and not in circles for everyone.

well - sewing the ribbon part and adding the 7-1/2" strip to the corner units gives us 9-/2" not 9" as we cut the white strip the measurements are a bit off - what to do ? as mine are nearly finished.....

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

ok Susan so those colors have been chosen would you like to pick a different color? and you can still write you peoples names on what ever color you choose.

cher - we do have a sizing issue here !

Cher - I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to bow out of this one.
I KNOW it's for a good cause, and I have 3 family members that have been touched by this terrible disease (Dad - bone cancer, passed; Sister - lung cancer, survivor; Sister - breast cancer, survivor), but I'm getting all stressed right now, and don't think I can take on another project......... Heck, don't know how I'm going to be able to afford sending the mail I need to, in the projects I'm currently in........
Enough of myself.......... I hope you have all the lovely people you need to make these 2 quilts a reality. It's people like yourself that contribute to the "cancer cause" that get the research done.........!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.