Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Photos: The Night Cereus

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 11, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9131899

My Night Cereus bloom again this year. Last late summer, 50 blooms on my two big night cereus.. This picture was taken last week.. first bloom. There's more buds growing!! Beautifully!

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9273171

Beautiful flower!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9275203

I grew my Cereus from a leaf cutting. This is the very first bloom.

We have been putting it in the greenhouse over winter...does anyone know if we could plant it here?

Thumbnail by morganc

kalecook
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9397948

The night blooming cereus is the most beautiful I have ever seen. The pictures are good but looking into the real bloom is awsome. I have kept one inside for years and it has never bloomed. I keep it in memory of my mother, who had it first. She called the horticulture teacher and myself to watch it open at 10:00 P.M.I will give it more attention now. Maybe I can get it to bloom. Thanks for reminding me.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9398043

kalecook wrote: [quote] ... I have kept one inside for years and it has never bloomed. I keep it in memory of my mother, who had it first. ...Maybe I can get it to bloom...[/quote] kalecook, ask and you shall receive. lol I'm no expert. But, I can only share my own experience with others who have the same passion with growing these rare beauties. They're bit tender; they can't withstand frost. So I grow them in containers. And give them winter protection by moving them inside in late Fall. Only bring them back outdoor after danger of frost is past in the Spring. Best wishes to you. Yours is extra special for it does tie your treasured memories that you've shared with your mother.

morganc [quote] ... We have been putting it in the greenhouse over winter...does anyone know if we could plant it here? [/quote] Seems as if you've 50% of the problem solved. Though 8B is considerably 'warmer' than 7B (where I am). As I understand, according to the zonal hardiness. These exotic plants thrive on zones 10 and above. If I were you and wouldn't risk losing mine to possible frost.

All that being said, interestingly. I've a basket of tender perenials that I've forgotten outdoor this winter. In the basket. I've stuck a cutting of my Night Blooming Cereus. To my surprise, the basket didn't show any frost damage thus far. Either, because of the microclimate of where the basket is kept; it's sitting on the South facing front of my house, and is protected from the Northern winds, and harsh sun rays from the west. I surely keep my eyes on the weather, should there be temp. dropping below 20F. degrees. I'll haul that basket inside.

Happy growing Nigh-blooming Cereus everyone!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9398047

Here are 2 photos of the mentioned basket in which I've forgotten outdoor. Pictures were taken this morning.

(second photo is on the way).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9398050

Thumbnail by Lily_love

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9398075

Hi Minischnuz.

I just ran across this thread and wanted to give you a bit of info. Firstly, your plant is beautiful but incorrectly named.

The plant you have is actually Epiphyllum oxypetalum, not a Cereus cactus. My mother in law gave me one years ago and said it was Night Blooming Cereus. I was so tickled when it was ready to bloom, I called a bunch of friends to come and see. One of those friends was Dan Gill from LSU AG dept. He gave me the correct name for it and said it is very commonly incorrectly called a Cereus, which is a cactus with triangular stems and similar flowers.

Hylocereus undatus

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Night_Blooming_Cereus_2.jpg

Here is info on Epiphyllum oxypetalum

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/20630/

My Epi in bloom

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9398139

Good to know...thanks.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9398144

You are most welcome Morganc.

As to being able to plant it out in your area, I would say no. I am in zone 9a and I did try it in the ground. Sadly, an 8 year old plant that was started from cuttings of the original and went into the ground on the south side of the house against the wall in the spring of 2011, died deader than a door nail that winter. Nothing came back from the roots. And it was covered with cloth and plastic. It just will not tolerate freezing temperatures for any length of time.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9399695

Wow...bummer. I will not be putting this one in the ground. It's doing fine in the greenhouse for winter.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9406380

Mine has been out on my north facing back porch all winter, and is a little bronzed, but still doing just fine. I don't think it could be planted in the yard, but the porch is protected. It did bloom several blooms this year, but needs a little pruning now. Does anyone know if they like to be root bound?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America