Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: How to clean my bluestone patio without killing plants?

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9131930

Hello all,

We bought our current home in 2009. It has a bluestone patio that is probably at least 20 years old and looks dirty. I sweep, I hose it off, but that just doesn't seem to work.

I want to avoid using a power washer, as the grouting is old, and sometimes comes up when I use the hose. And I don't want to kill any of the plants surrounding the patio.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Katherine

1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9132161

that's a tough one. If you can't tolerate stronger chemicals, then maybe some stronger abrasion would work. Some type of rotating or swirling bush device.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9132230

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmmm, interesting idea. Do you have any idea where such a brush could be procured (rent or buy)?

And just out of curiosity, what type of chemicals would you recommend if I hadn't said anything about my plants?
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9133144

I'm thinking about some type of floor buffer or maybe a carpet shampooer of some type. Might be able to rent something...

A lot depends on the source of the grime/stains - you should test for the best approach.

TSP (trisodium phosphate) would be one chemical to try. In the past, it was often used to prep outside surfaces before painting. I'd recommend testing any soap/chemical in some small, inconspicuous area first - and never mix chemicals - particularly bleach with ammonia.

other chemicals to try;

A vinegar/salt paste may work. It's slightly abrasive and creates a weak Nitric Acid solution.

CLR (the rust and lime removal stuff)

Ammonia (though that works best to cut grease - often, oil or grease is a 'binder' of dirt)

Hydrogen Peroxide (similar to a bleach, works well on many organic stains)

Citric or phosphoric acid (similar to CLR above, works for mineral stains,

Gloves, protective eye-wear would be a good idea for most of the above work. Ventilation shouldn't be an issue outdoors.

Pressure washing, if it works ,might still be a good approach. If the grout is so deteriorated that much is blasted away - well, consider regrouting. The result might be a like new surface!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 6:53 AM
anniekassier
New York, NY

June 18, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9169600

It is hard to clean

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America