Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: Our simple Hosta garden

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9132280

A Northern exposure tucked in a nook that also blocks the Eastern sun. We're not Hosta experts, we just love the pretty foliage and carefree plants. Aside from mulching for the winter, we don't do anything to this bed. It's on the "forgotten" side of the house away from the entrances and driveway. I suppose we should have divided them last year, because I'll have to reseed three feet of lawn now. But I love the look of the giant plants.

Thumbnail by SteveOh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9132340

They are beautiful, I don't think they look like they are suffering, I like it and it looks a little like what I am trying to accomplish on the south side of my house under the Birch trees. :)
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9132376

Thank you. The lack of direct sun is a huge factor, I'm sure. But the annual, late-fall application of organic mulch, which breaks down readily, also seems to really agree with these plants.
The south side of your house sounds like it would be a challenge. I wish you luck and some very shady Birch trees. :)

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9132525

The only thing challenging is the roots on these trees! The hosta's go down the side of house and get some sun but mostly dappled shade.
I can't wait for them to get big like yours! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America