-
AuthorContent
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9132372

I need a climbing vine for the lattice work on the west facing side of my house. I would love an evergreen species. It is a full sun area. Any suggestions?
Astrablue
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9134020

Asian Jasmine should be good for you. It is evergreen with dark green shiny leaves. Mine has not bloomed yet. It is supposed to get 6 to 8' tall.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9137890

Thank you! I will check it out.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9139282

Here is a list of vines that you may find useful. Many are full sun and a lot of them are evergreen in your area.

http://www.greergardens.com/vines.htm

http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=5&cat=Vines
BarshKate
Tucker, GA

June 9, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9158350

Crossvine is semi-evergreen in zone 7. Probably wd do great in winter in Mobile.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9158407

BarshKate,

Thank you so much.. I looked it up and I think I'm going to check into buying some Crossvine. All that I read seems to fit my needs for the purpose as well as the area in which I will plant it. + it's beautiful.

themoonhowl, Thanks as well for your suggestions. I really like the "Monkey Ball Vine (Green), Ornamental Yam, Dioscorea" ... I bought some a few years ago from a lady nearby that sells plants from her front lawn, because I love the foliage. I was later told that it can be invasive here (similar to Kudzu) so I never took it from it's pots. I dont know how much truth there is to what I was told since I don't see it growing everywhere like the kudzu does. Since we already fight to keep the Wisteria from choking out our large oak trees I was concerned my DH might help me to an untimely death if we ended up having to fight off another (possibly) invasive vine.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9160741

just say no to the Dioscorea! it can cover almost as fast as Kudzu!
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9161026

Thanks trackinsand. I'm glad I didn't plant it!!
marilyn1228
Salem, OR

June 29, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9186498

I love growing climbing vines. There are lots you can grow from seed that are very fast growers and lovely bloomers! I try to find new ones every year. Plain old Morning Glory can be beautiful! Cardinal vine, cypress vine, canary vine is a very pretty yellow. You have the advantage with a sunny and warm location. Mine are mostly shady and in very cool Oregon! Good luck and have Fun!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America