Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansias.....it's almost winter.....

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 164, Views: 1,343
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 21, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9132974

I started this one early, because I forgot to mention Brugmansias in the last forum...duh...
There is a new Brugnut on the horizon and I didn't want to lose them...

The buds appear to be holding on everywhere, maybe we will get to see a new flower yet...
Colleen, post your Zab cross over here...
I will use this pic of Zabaglione so you can compare...
We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257685/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 21, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9132977

Welcome, Sooky Chooky, please post your pics on here and we can start afresh...
My Fernando only had one partial flower due to bad weather...it's a definite medium musky pink pretty much true to the original pics that Allan posted.

Colleen, what does your Zab x EP smell like? it looks more Zab to me...a good one though by the looks of it...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 21, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9132982

A couple of pics of Zabaglione X Ecuador Pink. Cestrum's seed planted by Brian. The perfume was quite faint but lovely when I took the pics The flower is more apricot today. A lovely shape, but I don't think that the tendrils are as long as your pics of Zab. Dianne. There's no perfume there at the moment, will sniff again in the morning. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9132983

Shaun, just look at your little cutie today.
No cold or rain will stop it looking very cheeky.
You can now see the pale pink in the bloom
Even hubby said its very pretty when I showed him .

I am hoping the cold wont stop a bit of pollen taking. I couldnt wait for spring flowers. I introduced the cheeky thing to Senorita Rosada.
I hope they like each other...lol

Also another two flowers out on one of the Knightiis.
Buds are still coming so I am hoping they wont mind the cold.

Here the little cutie.. DP&G.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 21, 2012

Post #9132984

forgot the other pic. Zab X EP. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 22, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9132992

Hello..Sooky Chooky, nice to have someone else from Brisbane in our brug group. This is a recent photo of some of my Fernando blooms which gives you some indication of the pink colour.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 22, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9132999

Fernando looks fantastic, Allan...It will be this spring for mine, at least I got to see the colour...
Did your PPfasc pollen, pods hold on?...

Jean, the colour is coming thru very nicely, even in this cool weather... will the pod parent be DP&G?

This message was edited May 22, 2012 6:47 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9133009

Jean she is a little vixen when you think she dose not have the get up and go she shows another hand
the color is coming throw nicely and will probably have a few more blooms before the middle of winter
I have many of my plants getting ready for a winter flush versicolor 'EP' 'OA' 'FP' all coming throw now and i think a few more
i have been more concerned about the seed in the hot house more then the plants
but the aurea(form) X.'Culebra' pod is doing well and growing day by day so should have some seed in the spring Yippee

Colleen love the way the Z X.EP flairs out side the calyx
Allan Fernando still looks good in the cooler weather for you great work getting it to the age where it can be shared
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 22, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9133013

Dianne... I have 2 seed pods on Fernando by using your Pink Panther pollen but I am doubtful about one which rubs against a branch with the slightest breeze(and is quite damaged). I also have 2 pods on Mango Cornet from the PP pollen. Should have plenty of seeds to share later in the year.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 22, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9134294

Hi everyone ...sorry to be missing in action, we changed providers and they didn't tell us we would be off air while this happened, grrrr numerous calls to goodness knows where overseas, we finally are here on air again.

Lots happening while I have been gone, Jean I knew you would love the sweet little pink, isn't she just the cutest little thing ?

cestrum I love all of yours too, all of them !

Shaun Welcome back, how are you enjoying the night temps ? are your Brugs ok after missing you ?

Allan Fernando looks great, he is full of buds here too, don't know if the cold weather will allow another flush or not, I still have two pods on him ...6 inches but no more length on them now (probably due to the cold). Fingers crossed they will make it through the Winter.

Yep it's a good idea to put Brugmansia in the heading of the Brug thread Dianne, great idea to start this new one for the lurkers.

Well ... I had better be off to try and catch up on everything ...back later ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited May 23, 2012 12:45 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 23, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9134700

Loved your video Dianne and your pics of Bruce's Pink.

Did you all see this one ?
I am in love ...just too too beautiful for words !
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/23224-goldenorange-blooms/

next to my perfect white, this is one I would do almost anything to make.
Don't you adore it ?
Edited to say it's Birgit I am talking about ^_^

This message was edited May 23, 2012 11:06 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 23, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9135577

Thanks Chrissy, I have the little clip on here now...I was taking photos and when I looked at them I had used the movie setting by mistake...good mistake, so I took the little clip...I have it forever now...It's the PPfasc flower...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyNlQY_h06k
Yes Birgit is lovely...

I'll put the BP pics on BGI this afternoon.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 9:52 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 23, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9135644

Love your mistake ! do it again :)
Yes there for the World to see forever, well done !
A very special Brug experience, a chance in millions really.
Couldn't have happened to a cheekier or more worthy Brug huh ? ^_^
I wonder how people put the music into their videos.

Best be off to see how the Brugs are surviving the cold.
Thanks again Dianne, you must be stoked !

Enjoy your morning everyone ...we have rain ahead for the next few days (so they say, but it's the wind that will be the worry).
Hope it is kinder for you where ever you are ^_^

chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9135790

That Zab x EP is very pretty Colleen, but I wonder if a label has been misplaced somewhere along the line???? The seedling has far too much suaveolens influence to have come from that cross :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 23, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9135827

Thanks for the information Alistair. I went and double checked the label and you've guessed it. I've done it again with Brian's plants and mis-read. The tag says, Zabaglione Cestrum Ecuador Pink seedling 29/8/10. I can now see where he had tried to graft it, that's why the word Zabaglione is on there I presume. It didn't work so now I'm left with and EP seedling . It's a very pretty little thing apricot and cream and a lovely perfume so I'll plant it out and see what happens. I'm going to have to get my glasses out next time one of Brian's seedlings flower. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9136249

Dianne the pics look wonderful in the Gallery, ^_^ thanks !

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/1048-bruces-pink/

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9136298

Dianne HB005 is a very pretty Bloomer what is it's cross.
also the hybrid from Alistair is a good looker also PC x.EP
what a great set of pics you have put in to the Gallery
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 24, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9136996

Nothing much going on here at the moment. The brugs are all still looking nice & green with the buds hanging on.
I see the cold is starting to yellow a few leaves so I expect I will have bald brugs soon.
One of the Knightiis with flowers is looking very pretty. .

OE is still holding all her buds. If she can put out this many now, I have high hopes for her when she gets much bushier.
The flower on Super Pink x Apricot Queen has not gone all wilty like the first and is still holding on despite being a split bloom.

The arboreas dont like the cold much an dhang their leaves in a plea to be taken inside.
Not likely, they have to be brave and stay on the veranda.

Darling little DP&G 's flower is still as perky as ever. She is just like a different colored GHA. I do like her very much.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9137373

Shaun, all of the pics are of Bruce's Pink...the only difference is that the HB005 was taken in cooler weather,
there is a note attached to that pic, explaining the difference in colour...
Polar Cornet x Ecuador Pink is the cross.

I think OE and Senorita Rosada will have some surprises in store for us, Jean...
Knightii is very lovely...a good white is really beautiful isn't it...that's why I love Topsy, nothing fancy but snow white and a great shape...

I have 3 whites that I will keep to see if they improve next season...one single and 2 doubles...especially the Charleston x Apricot Queen...that's the very tall double...the other 2 are Joli x Charleston...

It hasn't stopped raining this morning and it's pelting down...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 24, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9137424

It's raining here too, which has kept the night temps relatively warm but we're expecting frost on Sunday night.
Meanwhile, Pink Sweetie is in full flower but there's an interloper among its single blooms :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 24, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9137484

My little Knightii that is in flower now has a single flower. along with the two doubles. I just noticed it this morning when passing to go into the shadehouse.
I think I remember reading that Knightiis do this .
I had a look inside and found that the stamens were all fused together and had a kink in the middle which made them rather short , way down in the bloom.
Didnt go back out for a pic as its freezing cold out in the wind today
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 24, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9137572

Late today ...just came home.
The wind is shocking ...evidently bringing the big wet and rain sometime soon.
My buds/pods seem to be hanging on ...Knightii is about to bloom for the first time this year, can't wait, yes Jean most doubles are said to throw the odd single (though I have seen only one FFA single, maybe, because it was too high to tell for sure). I think that single Knightii may allow for easier access for pollinating, don't you.

Love the Pink Sweetie cestrum ...do you mean it has an odd double or is that one of your lovely doubles ?

Dianne I am envious of your pure white doubles ...hopefully I will have some in the next year or so.
My seeds from across the pond will hopefully yield me a couple.

Fingers crossed for our final flushes ...I think we will need some luck but you never know, anyway Spring is only 3 months away, plenty of time for homework and dreaming ...Alistair's book will ease the No Brug Bloom pain, that,plus the pictures in BGI, and those of our overseas Brug nut friends, thank goodness for that !

How are you settling in Shaun, must be hard after your holiday, how is that sunburn traveling ?, peeling off in shards by now.

Off to explore before the rain "event " ...stay warm and dry everyone !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 24, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9137600

The double is growing amid the Pink Sweetie clumps. I say clumps because the original PS seedling has spread via suckers and trunks lying flat on the ground with branches growing vertically up from them to create a mini-thicket.
Only three months to spring! Something to bear in mind when the frost starts. I'll have to hurry up and do all those things that need doing before that wretched humidity returns.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 24, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9137629

Spring only 3 months away, that's good news...it has cheered me up no end.
I think that by the time I clean the pots, get the potting mix ready, decide which ones to pot up, who comes under shelter and who goes out..it will almost be here...

One thing that I have to move from where it is, it's the Angel's Flight x Charleston...it flops like nothing has ever flopped before, on a hot day...it thinks anything over 20C is a heat wave...so a big pot is in order for that one, I will like having it near the back door anyway...

Jean, last Autumn, my Knightii only produced singles, this Autumn, no singles only doubles...my Knightii x Ivoire pod is holding on...

That's a pretty double in amongst the singles, cestrum...hope it throws more of them for you...

I have included 3 pics of that Angel's Flight x Charleston...shame it can't abide the hot days..

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9137696

Chrissy i am finding that the weather here in Melbourne is so Cooooooooooooold
rugged up in a few layers to keep warm, the sunburn has gone the peeling has almost finished on the trunk and now it's the legs turn./
Cestrum Pink Sweetie is looking great for you and my cutting is doing well also.
Jean you AF xC is stunning and the color change in outstanding also
All of my seed pods are doing OK at the moment and the Knightii is a stunner velvet pod, this is the first season that iv had pods on it so im rapped.
I hope all your knightii do well in the cooler weather and have pritty flowers
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9138548

Seachanger = Dianne :-)
And that Angel's Flight x Charleston seedling is a beauty. Love the colour combo, a keeper for sure, plus a breeder too. I can't wait to see the first-gen of locally bred seedlings from these doubles :-)
Shaun, I remember leaving for Brisbane airport in Sept sweating as I pulled my suitcase in the early spring sun with my overcoat draped over it because it was just too hot to even consider putting it on, then just a few short hours later shivering in the wind and drizzle outside Melb airport as I waited for my lift. (Not to mention hearing the passengers on the plane to Melb erupt in boos after the pilot announced that the current temp in Melb was 15 degrees!) Switching from heat to cold is a shock to the system.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9138662

Just been out looking around at all the brugs after the strong wind yesterday.
They all look as if there was no wind at all. All standing up nicely, lots of buds still coming and some pods hanging on.
The lovely Senorita is putting out a couple of buds again.. BB has plenty as does GHA.
I also have another on yourr big floppy, cestrum.
I have a noid from Chrissy that has decided to put out buds. It is only labelled as big stripey.
OE has lots of buds even though she was thrown around in the wind yesterday
I am hoping some of the buds will hang on and open before more real cold hits.
I think the cold has either stopped any seeds growing or killed them off.
I have plenty for spring and will just leave those in the trays in the greenhouse. I have had them come up very slowly in winter before.
The pod on aurea Lucas is getting larger and as there was only GHA in flower, back when it must have been pollinated, it looks like he is the parent.
I am hoping the pollen took on DP&G too.

My coldies are all looking so much better now the heat has gone, along with the spider mites.
I may not see flowers this year but they will be a nice size next year for flowers.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 25, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9138663

Ha ha ha yes this is why I sign my name under my posts(or try to remember to).
Yes I agree the new generations will be exciting ...I must say there are some stunners popping up over the pond.
Will we be up to the challenge ?

Of course we will (gulp) lol !
I may venture outside shortly to check the wind damage, no horror rain event yet, but tomorrow is the day !
I see Melbourne copped it big time, did you get plenty down there ?
What about up North cestrum, much rain ?
We have had a couple of 1C nights this last few days however the little seedlings in their humidity cribs are doing well, so long as they get enough roots on them to survive they will be ok, just a little concern that they may get leggy, so we will see.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they survive Winter ?
Anyone else with germinating babies ?
Back later.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 25, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9138666

Morning Jean ...good to hear all is well.
We also had shocking wind, must go check it out :)

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9138686

[quote="77sunset"]
I also have another on yourr big floppy, cestrum.

Jean. [/quote]

You're persevering with it, Jean? In this cooler weather, it's as waxy (i.e. less floppy) as it's going to get, so if you think it's bad now ...
But can you smell it? Smells like Old Apricot to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing the coldies, they're something completely new for me. (Only light rain here last night; winter is quiet in just about every aspect here except fire, as that's the fire season, winter and early spring before the rain and humidity return.)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9138866

cestrum, big Floppy will go in the ground in the orchard in spring.
As it seems to grow quite well here, it can stay out there with another couple already in the ground.
It will do well out there and still look quite pretty when it grows bigger.
The perfume is a nice one .
I am interested to see what big stripey looks like if the buds stay on and open.
It will also go out with Floppy.
I am only keeping the special ones in pots near the back shadehouse where I can enjoy them. The other not so specials will stay around the fern house and the rejects all go into the ground in the orchard. I see the ones I tossed away are still growing. I will just leave them and see what they end up doing.
Being unknown seedlings, probably one may throw a fantastic flower one day and I will have to relent and pot it again...lol
Who knows.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 25, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9138873

Big Stripey is a Versicolor type (Alistair pointed this out to us in the early days) Jean, it is quite large and has a lovely lemony fragrance, it is called "stripey" because of the way the stripes of apricot colouring creep down the tube as the bloom ages over a couple of days.
For me it is a keeper (love the scent), but being mostly versicolor it may need a warmish place if you can find one. It is quite robust though and mine too is now in buds, the wind is pretty awful though so we will see how things go after the expected storm event tomorrow.
It's too windy to be outside darn it, because the sun is out. Cold though.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 25, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9138883

Lots of baby Sphaeros popping thru here...the warm ones that I have growing are past the dangerous stage.
Only the odd flower left so I thought that the pods and babies might make a good subject matter.

I have been thinking about a name for the AF x C and because of all the colour changes, I keep coming back to Joseph's coat...I did like a couple of other prettier names, but can't get this one out of my head...so Joseph's coat it will be...

First pic is of the twin pods, this is the PP x Frosty Pink.
2nd is the smaller twin pod growing alongside the first one. it's PP x Bruce's Pink, Don't know about this one.
It was so slow to grow...
3rd pic is of the Strybing Vulsa x Sanguinea seedlings, they were planted at the end of July '11...
They are bunching at the top, so I hope they flower this year...
4th is the funny pod on the Charleston x Apricot Queen...that's the double white, that is taller than anything else, but shows lots of promise, if I can ever see the flowers...its taller than GHA and Ivoire...
5th is the nursery, with all of the Summer 2013 hopes and dreams...there is a fairy in there keeping watch...

Jean, you can be sure that one of those discarded plants will grow up to be a beauty and you will have to bring it back..

This message was edited May 26, 2012 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 25, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9138889

Wow your coldies look good Dianne, I bet you get some beauties in there. Can't wait to see them.
The heads dropped off mine, I don't think they will work here but I will enjoy everyone else showing us the pictures.
The pods look good ^_^ not sure about the curly one, mine came off, I hope yours survives, mine had the stem go brown.
Just look at all those leafy little promises ...I love the babies don't you ?
The wind has finally dropped ...I might get out there now ^_^ sky is very dark though.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 25, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9138904

Chrissy, I think the big curly pod will stay,
Your FFA x Joseph's Coat, little curly pod is holding on too...my mind boggles at what that cross could produce...if it falls off I will do the same cross next year...
Just think, Angel's Flight, Charleston, Ludger's Windsong and New Orleans Lady...yummy
Mind you they are all yummy aren't they..then that wonderful cross could trick us and produce very ordinary ones...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9138906

Dianne, when I look at your bushy coldies, I tell mine they are still pretty.even if they are spindly.
They have to grow a lot harder here because of no fences and wind swooping in from all directions..
I am probably a harder mother too. Mine get watered and fed once a week.
I do talk to them but maybe they want music instead.
I could put the cassette player down there and give them lots of the old rock and roll, but it would use an awful lot of batteries...lol
Hubby wouldnt be too keen on the music though.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 25, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9138925

Mine were very spindly, Jean...they have only bushed up in the last couple of months...Each of them has a stake...they are a lot older than yours though...
My other coldies aren't anything like those ones...The tallest of Alan's is about 45cm and just a stick...it certainly pays to grow them thru winter..
My contest ones are even smaller, so are the Tabby's.

Your coldies can have one of my transistors, they go for ages on cheap batteries...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 25, 2012

Post #9138933

Dianne, I can just imagine hubbys face if I did put music on for the brugs.
He would be calling the men in white ( or maybe the ones in black.)...lol
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 25, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9138935

If it's good enough for Prince Charles, Jean...then you are ok... :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9138936

Those coldies look superb, Dianne. Luscious leaves look like vegies, almost good enough to eat :-)

I've just taken some quick photos outside before tonight's first frost of the year (predicted minus 1 deg. C tonight) burns the blooms. Here is another suaveolens bloom with a divided corolla. It seems to happen very occasionally, maybe a few times a year or once every few hundred blooms I guess. (The last time I noticed a similar flower was in January.) Perhaps something to do with the weather/insect damage, almost certainly not genetic but pretty when it occurs. Good thing I noticed before the frost gets it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9138939

One of the double pinks has decided that the first night of expected frost would be a good time to burst into bloom again.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 4:57 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9138942

Golden Butter#2 has suddenly come out in flush too. (Pink Sweetie is playing chorus in the background.)

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 25, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9138943

Finally, Alistair Pink#1 (older and paler sibling of Pink Sweetie, aka Alistair Pink#2) has decided to flower after having either no blooms (or maybe one flower) in the last growing season. Tonight, as the temp heads below zero!
Added: You can see the darker-pink blooms of Pink Sweetie in the background--Pink Sweetie is both darker and more floriferous than its older sibling.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9138951

Oh no ...I am so sorry to see that, gosh so unexpected considering how far up North you are.
Lets hope for a miracle and they survive, I suppose at least we got to see them once more before the big sleep.
Just remember 3 months will go quickly !
Go have a big cup of cocoa (maybe with some brandy in it).
Commiserations.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9138954

Not that far north but, more importantly, not along the coast. Hence the frost. Nothing unusual there except that it's started a week or two earlier than in the past. I'm resigned to it now, which is why I no longer try to grow tender tropicals. (I guess you could call the cananga a hardy tropical!)
Just took another pic of the suaveolens, which has begun to flare open. (You can see the outside light reflected off it a little.) You can see a normal bud on the same plant but I couldn't get a normal flower (fully opened) into the same frame as there are only sparse blooms on the plant now. You can see how thin the canopy is though, as the brug started dropping leaves weeks ago when the night temps first fell.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 5:25 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9138966

I haven't seen those cuts in the skirt before, it's like a Star Dancer isn't it ? hmmmm.
Well we skipped Summer down here this year so anything can happen. How many weeks of frost do you usually get ?
Good luck tonight ...our turn next month, usually about 6 weeks of frosty mornings, some more severe than others.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9138978

Chrissy... I am as far north as Cestrum, but on the north side of Brisbane(close to the coast) only expecting 6-8 C tonight. I have a very nice flush on FFA forming at present so hope I can post photos of the blooms in about 1 week.

Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 26, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9138980

[quote="chrissy100"]I haven't seen those cuts in the skirt before, it's like a Star Dancer isn't it ? hmmmm.
chrissy[/quote]

My thoughts too, Chrissy and Jean's one has the split corolla too, maybe not as dramatic as cestrum's but it's there...maybe these two plants should meet up...interesting...those shreddeds have to start somewhere...

Looking forward to the pics Allan, not many Brug flowers here at the moment.

This message was edited May 26, 2012 7:44 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2012
1:57 AM

Post #9138984

Lovely Allan, you might be able to use the pollen or pollinate :)
Good luck and looking forward to the pictures. They may be pale if it's cool.

Hanging out for the Brug Love here.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 26, 2012
2:09 AM

Post #9138987

Ivoire is flowering Dianne. Beautiful blooms. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9138992

Well it's been a cold & wet day here in Melbourne me inside working all day and didn't notice the weather at all.
It looks like all of you are haveing a bit of a flush with your brugs it must be just dam cold here i have buds but no flowers at the moment.

Dianne the crosses with PP fascination is interesting and should get you some nice plants when the they come throw, love the foliage if the cold group very healthy and fresh looking good luck with them

Cestrum your probably going to have blooms till almost spring how thring are going there but you mentioned the 0oC not nice hay,,, the pic's all look so beautiful in such a dreerie time of the year.

Chrissy, I hope all is well in your neck of the woods and the frost has not hit yet being close to the BlueM,, i could Imagine the cold snaps would happen often throw winter,

Alan hope your babies are also doing well in the QLD climate

I have just bought another small hot house for the seedlings so that i dont loose many throw winter i was going to get a big one but Gil put his foot down and said there is not enough room where i wanted to put it

so im rugged up and trying to stay warm in the cold weather but will get oout side tomorrow to do a few things in the garden and also pot some seedlings up
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 26, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9139002

Thank you for that we are not as cold as south, for I am cold here, but the Brugmansia love it, a bite cooler then our full on summer heat, and the grubs love the Brug's so every morning I squash.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 26, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9139742

Keep squashing those bugs, Gena...post any pics that you can...

I feel sorry for poor Gil, Shaun...he probably has to fight his way in and out the front gate...

Colleen, well done...isn't Ivoire a beauty...now stand back while it takes off...mine is full of buds again and I've let it grow the big pod and taken off the others...it's very flirtatious...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9139765

Well, it didn't fall it to freezing last night after all, but it's only a matter of time. Frost season here is the whole three months of winter. The latest day of frost that anyone can remember was 1 September. I would have said that the earliest was June but, even though it didn't reach freezing point last night, I think frost is a possibility from late May. So late May to 1 Sept is the frost season here. Mind you, the days are glorious. While it's frigid inside (except for the sunroom), it's beautiful out in the sun (still not warm enough to strip off, though), which still has real warmth in it.

Shaun, Gil is doing you a favour as, take it from me, it's a real pain to have branches hitting you in the face every time you venture outside! (Too late to cut back now because of frost, and I resist doing it in Sept because I want shelter from the hot sun LOL)

Here are pics of this morning's flowers; I've included one of a normal-shaped suaveolens too. All the blooms are still open this late in the morning because of the cold.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9139780

Cestrum the shredded leaf suaveolens is to die for it would be in a breeding program YES!!!!!!!!
the colors are beautiful on your plants at this time of year h have buds on a number of plants 'Dr.S', 'EP', 'FP', 'WR','OA','OA1023', and a few aurea's + a few others but weather they eventuate to any thing is left up to the weather,

I know Gil is looking out for me he ant being smacked in the face yet with brug branches but there are other plants hitting bot of us in the stomach as we walk to the front gate which i dont wanna cut back just yet because it seems to loose branches all over and i have a few leaders on it to be the canopy in the walk way.

GENA, great to see you back keep those grubs off and squash em hard

Dianne i thought i was going to get a bloom from Ivoire this season but it looks likt there could be no chance as the bud droped
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9139804

In addition to the brugmansias, I'm being slapped in the face by the Buddleja madagascariensis, which is particularly ironic given how hard I found it to initially propagate the plant. But it's a winter bloomer and so I esp. don't want to cut it back now. The hedychium canes are also whacking me in the face, along with the cestrums, philadelphus, galangal, and one of the bauhinias in particular. At least we're in the dry season now :-)
PS All these photos show overgrown pathways through the garden--they're not beds!

This message was edited May 27, 2012 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9139808

Cold in Cairns??! hilarious. It was 11 degrees top here the other day... been freezing for weeks, I'm heading back there (fnq) asap!! love the tropics, the humidity takes some getting used to though.

Dianne, Sphaeros looking quite good, they really come to life in winter, any sign of Y's?? mine are still yet to (almost a year and counting, vulsas i mean)...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9139812

Yes smacked in the head with branches here too Shaun, and if you escape them you have to dodge the spider webs or take them down with a stick.

Love that your brugs escaped the predicted frost, cestrum, so far we haven't had the predicted storm, these weather people can't predict the weather the next day properly, and you have to wonder how they think they can predict it into the far distant future.

Yes Gena as Dianne said, keep squishing those munchers, so glad you found us again.

Jean I often talk to my brugs "helloooo beautiful" or "Hurrrrry up darling" ...so far no singing to them though, I hear themes in my head though hence Heart of Gold and Twilight Time, if I sing to them they may try to run away. ^_^

Off to explore ...no wind and a bit of sun,whoo hoo.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9139816

Jean and Colleen, any signs of Y's on your Sphaeros?? Shouldn't be too long now with the cooler weather to come.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9139824

Humidity in May? LOL You ain't seen real humidity, Lucas! BTW, when there was a cold snap a few years ago and night temps fell to about 8-10 deg. C overnight in FNQ, well above freezing, many of the plants died simply because they could not tolerate such cool temps. So it all comes back to what you're used to, plants and people alike. I find the combo of winter frost and summer humidity esp. difficult for the plants. Obviously many of the tropicals cannot tolerate frost, but many of the frost-hardy plants that can also tolerate high summer temps can't withstand humidity, e.g. the common buddlejas, which have progressively been dying in my garden. Plus, my arborea is barely alive, all my sanguineas have long since died and there's no chance of growing spaeros here. And then there's the fruitfly ...

But I still have my ylang ylang :-)

Chrissy, your Old Apricot x Butterbomb seedling is still flowering. As is Alistair white#13. Shaun, that cut corolla seems to be fairly common among the suaveolens, although it's been pointed out to me that my white suaveolens is a hybrid. Unfortunately, I don't know what it was crossed with. I guess I could dab some pollen from one of the other flowering brugs onto it; the overhead canopy might protect it from frost.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 26, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9139875

Love your jungle cestrum, my garden tries to be one and it was up until a couple of weeks ago...
It's far too small an area for the Brugs and others to play "Land of the Giants", so they have all been cut back very hard and now the Brugs will shoot from lower down and give me more flowers in Spring.

The Clematis has grown all thru OA and BF and is headed towards PP...good thing it's gone to sleep for Winter...it's one of the C.Montanas, very hardy and quite pretty...

No buds on the SV x S, Lucas, but the common Sanguinea is in bud...though how could I call it common...it's a lovely thing...here it is last year, it's about 5 times that now.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 26, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9139994

Well it is gentle sun out there, numerous buds are looking wonderful but when you look through the calyx into the sunlight for the bloom silhouette you see only very short brug lengths, meaning they will take ages to bloom in these temps and will probably be greenish when and if they make it.

Can't believe the pod quantities ...of course they won't all make it, I think they may need a certain amount of maturity before the frost comes ...almost all the singles I have now sport donor pods, sheesh wouldn't we have done anything for that in the early years, I just could never understand how people could have donor pods before, but something has happened, something has changed. Pollinator, weather (cooler rainy), a combination of both of those things ? is one Brug responsible ? one Brug and her generations ?
Yes, well you may blush PP ...you cheeky thing !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 26, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9140025

Lucas, my sangs are all looking so much better now in the colder weather.
They are still lanky but getting taller with many more leaves at the top now.
I dont think I will see any flowers this year, being my first year, but am hopeful for next time.
The other sphaeros are all doing well although still small.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9140034

Your sanguinea is lovely, Dianne; what a treat when all the coldies start flowering.
Couldn't believe when I pushed my way thru the galangal and looked up: FFA! It's cream with a tinge of apricot, lovely in all its guises.
I photographed it on its own, with Old Apricot x Butterbomb and with my double pink.

It's the inground plant, so I had to cut the bloom down to photograph it.

This message was edited May 27, 2012 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9140053

And here it is with my long Aztec Gold#4 seedling, pollen donor unknown but I suspect it's Ecuador Pink judging by the shape and size of the bloom.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9140056

Finally, here it is with the usual suspects.
Or as many of them as I could round up :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9140065

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]Finally, here it is with the usual suspects.
Or as many of them as I could round up :-)[/quote]

they are all looking good Cestrum, the suspects you call them have they been up to mischief??
if so then they are but you must be quite happy walking throw the Jungle and coming across these beauties.

I also cant wait for the cold group to bloom mine flava from Colleen is doing the best about 8-10"tall and starting to put on a growth spurt and new leaves arriving daily,
My 'Strybing Vulsa' X.vulcanicola 'Zunac'(hyb:Michael Graupe) is doing well also getting a bit of growth on it with the cooler weather so i hope with in 10months i will have a bloom fingers crossed

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 26, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9140067

It's as if they've all decided to marshall their efforts into producing one last flush before the winter frost strikes. Truly, I had no idea that FFA was flowering! I've dusted that suaveolens flower with pollen from Bucks Fizz (it had the fluffiest pollen) but the canopy has thinned out so much that I don't know if the bloom will survive the frost/s to come. Que sera, sera; I'm not going to worry about it.
Those cold-climate brugs will be something to see. It was only a few years ago that I discovered that Alistair was growing them, and suddenly now you've all got seedlings. Pretty amazing ...
I wonder if Allan's FFA blooms will be the same colour as mine?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9140785

Hello all.
You have lovely blooms. everywhere
I found some new buds yesterday.
While looking at all the big seedlings, I reached up to see what was going on at the top of the 6 1/2 foot trunk of one. It has 3 buds.
Mountain Treasure x AxelRose.
I do hope at least one hangs on and flowers before the frost etc arrives.
It looks like I am going to have a few pods on GHA with no daddy known . The only flowers around at the time were GHA and aurea Lucas.
Maybe a bee or some other insect carried some of the pollen I put on other of his flowers.
Nearly all the ones I pollinated have fallen off. Perhaps the bees do a better job than I.
Its a waiting game now to see what we all get.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9140884

Love your handful of beautiful there cestrum ...how wonderful to see that lovely sight. Double the love huh ?
I am missing mine so much as they dawdle along. Thanks so much for the pics, it eases the withdrawal a little ^_^

Land of the Giants ? Dianne ... Love feeling that way really, except for the jungle critters in Summer and the cold wetness in Winter.

I hope all you coldie growers see your babies soon, I am looking forward to the pictures.

Good luck with your Star dancer seedlings Shaun ...are you really looking for 10 acres somewhere ? I hope you get it.

Jean good luck with those buds ...I think these German Brugs prefer the cooler weather, they seem to sulk a bit in any warm humidity. Perhaps they were waiting for Winter, I think our winter is like the German Autumn. My Grand daughter was in Germany in the Autumn/Winter and they had snow in Autumn where she was. I hope they open for you, but remember these buds will be very slow compared to the warm weather buds.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9140978

Chrissy yes it is in my radar to get some land in the south west or central east of the state depending of what Gil is preferring, He likes Camperdown area near the 12 apostles where there is less frost and a higher rain fall then the other area that i was looking at.

The 6 Star dancer seedlings are doing well there are growing well the temp is a hindrance but that's what happens all over the world not just in my back yard

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9141032

OT, you should have a word with one of the Tea Room visitors, Shaun...Her name is chookie 2 (Sue).
She has recently moved to Camperdown and is setting up what sounds like a little paradise...

Jean, Mountain Treasure x Axel Rose sounds interesting, hope it flowers for you, I really mean us...I get some sort of withdrawal symptoms not having any babies to look at here...I can't work up the same enthusiasm in OS ones...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9141106

Avoid the frost if at all possible, Shaun. Higher rainfall = less watering needed from you, which is great too.
Knightii, both a normal fully mature double bloom and a still-green single bloom.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9141155

How pretty is Knightii, cestrum...I've never had a bloom this late on it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9141180

Ahhhh love Knightii ...I still only have buds on it .

The first one I ever saw was greenish and I thought it was supposed to be greenish, what a delight when it turned pristine white.
It is a lovely Brug.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9141191

Knightii is one that can flower thru winter here, as it's in a pretty sheltered spot.
The double blooms are variable, sometimes throwing a single as with knightii above and sometimes a triple, as with this double pink.

BTW, this is the top-left bloom shown in http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9138939 (not the mature pink one at right).
Except that in the earlier photo the second/inner skirt was scrunched up and here it has opened to reveal the third skirt within.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 1:34 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9141207

It is amazing the way they do that I recall FFA dropping a 4th skirt in late Autumn ...looks like yours is a triple in this pic ...lovely !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9141222

I wonder if throwing an extra skirt or two for a double brug is similar to throwing one or more extra points for single blooms? Most of them do it, some have more extra skirts/points than others, or throw them more frequently ...?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 27, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9141235

I'll be watching my Knightiis next season as they all flower. The one out now has 2 doubles and the one single . All lovely and white.
It is sheltered , being next to the fern house and partly under a gum tree with sparse foliage.
There are a couple of buds on the one on the front veranda, but they are slow and may not open.
Even though it does go brown quickly, I do like the dainty Knightii flowers.

Shaun, you will enjoy having more ground for your brugs if you move.
Dont come too far west or you will be dry for a lot of the year.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9141237

I think there are still many mysteries regarding these lovely flowers ...it's one reason they are special. They never cease to amaze.
The doubles seem to get better and better with a couple of flowering years under their belt, well that is what I have found from my experience (seedlings , I am talking about.). Maybe because there are so many mixed genes in the Hybrids. Or is it the original gene here and there, finding their way back into the picture.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9141239

Jean Knightii lasts well if it isn't too hot and humid or if it does not rain ...in weather it likes it sticks around. Don't water over the bloom, we can't stop the rain though, unless you stand there with an umbrella. :)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 27, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9141274

cestrum, that looks lovely, which cross is it?, it seems that your pinks are having a lovely Autumn..can't wait until my whites are a couple of years older...
What a good year we have had...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9141279

It's the problematic Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes, whose flowers this past growing season have been almost all deformed. Now, with frost around the corner, it decides that it might drop its skirts and strike a pretty stance!
Meanwhile, I've re-dusted that suaveolens flower with fresh Bucks Fizz pollen but haven't tied up the bloom because I don't want to spoil it. It's possible that a bee might pollinate it with something else but suaveolens is the rare brug that almost never gets open pollinated despite being covered in bees and surrounded by flowering brugs.
[quote="chrissy100"]Don't water over the bloom, we can't stop the rain though, unless you stand there with an umbrella. :)[/quote]
I've seen hydrangeas protected from Melbourne's 40-degree days with sun umbrellas :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 27, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9141283

cestrum ...Judy had Star Dancer seeds, did she perhaps share a seed or cutting with you ?
Strange we don't see it anywhere in the threads or forums except from Viola and just one or two people at the most, is it a change of weather trait in the sauveolens I wonder ...just like dropped skirts in doubles.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 27, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9141289

That suaveolens came from a swap years ago, possibly my first-ever swap, either in the AusGarden days or even earlier from the Gardening in Oz forum on GardenWeb before it became a ghost town. But I can't remember whether it came from a cutting or seeds, as I received both. I didn't get it from Judy, but I wonder where Judy's came from? (Or whether she swapped with the GardenWeb angel who gave them to me?)
Dunno what causes it. As I said, the last such bloom was in January, probably no pattern to it. Doesn't even happen on the same branch ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 28, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9141300

I was Angel Lady in Ausgarden :) cestrum ...Alistair asked me to join it, I was wondering if Dianne was rose lady (or something similar).
Hardly anyone seemed familiar with Brugs in those days. Seems so long ago, like so many things do these days. Boy was I green (how embarrassing). So much to learn and then in the learning so many questions still to ask.
Alistair's book is very inspiring but in a way I wish it were not, because you want them all as any collector does.
More than anything to make my own, but I admit to being sucked into buying some seeds from over the pond in order to expand the gene Pool, I don't think there are many genes missing any longer, now we just have to disassemble and then reassemble and create Aussie stunners.

chrissy

This message was edited May 28, 2012 6:48 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 28, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9141302

No Chrissy, DG was the first online gardening site that I joined...I wouldn't mind being roselady, sounds nice...
and when I think that I only joined because Jane Edmondson talked about the apricot Brugmansia that she had in her garden on the radio and the very next time I went to my local nursery, they had a couple of OAs not in flower...naturally I bought one and went online to find out about it...I had always known them as Daturas...lol

That's when I discovered a group of fanatical brug growers on DG... :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 28, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9141308

She wasn't actually called 'angel', she was just very generous :-)
I think froggy aurea came from her too, via seed. I vaguely remember her saying that one batch of the seeds was described as 'double white' (i.e. by whoever had given them to her originally) but I didn't get any doubles from either the cuttings or seeds. It was too long ago now to remember if that was because the seeds turned out to be singles or if the so-called double whites didn't germinate. All lost in the mists of time (or the quagmire of my memory) now ... BTW, she's a Qlder and I remember that she shared the name of her street (i.e. her first name = the name of her street).
The more I think about it, the more I think that the cuttings were this suaveolens; the seeds that germinated became froggy aurea; and the seeds that didn't must have been the double white. But I'd be guessing ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 28, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9141312

I can't remember too much about it either ...I always felt a bit uncomfortable.
I never swapped things in there I don't think, I was wondering if somehow Judy's plants (cuttings) from the seeds she grew (Star Dancer x open pollinated) may have found their way to you via a cutting.Can't remember when we got the seeds now maybe 2008- I know there were limited seeds and we purchased most of them between us. I have spotted only a couple of the seedlings from that one off sale ...one was yellow with no cuts in the petals and the other was plain white suaveolens type. Just curious that's all. As we know there are plenty of brug lovers who are quietly growing their plants in their gardens. I'm sure Shaun will track all the Victorian ones down :) I did send stuff out to quite a few QLD gardeners (and others) in the early years and lost track Most just never came back with results for seeds and cuttings.
I have had one double white with cut petals that had a label on it marked Star Dancer that was a dead ringer for Knightii but for the cuts and a slightly narrower tube, I am waiting for it to bloom again because I want to have a closer look at it, just in case it is a mistake. All the rest have been single whites so far, none with cut petals, one of them is special because it sits up and looks at you with a Mother Of Pearl face. Since they were open pollinated they could have anything in them but I know white suaveolens tend to dominate (the white I mean).

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 28, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9142044

2008 is too late; I've had this white suaveolens longer than that.
A cut-petal knightii-type brug sounds pretty good, though :-)

This message was edited May 29, 2012 8:14 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 28, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9142097

Here's a photo of it in Oct 2006.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 28, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9142245

That is a lovely suaveolens where ever it came from cestrum :)
Thanks for the feedback on that. Look at the tendrils, it is a cross of some kind.

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 28, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9142411

Here are my first Brugmansia from seed, the ones the ants did not get, from Lucas lot ( Cestrum ) Damian x Buck Fizz doing well they are 3.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 28, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9142417

Those are Domain x Bucks Fizz seeds that I sent to Lucas. The leaves on the left plant look quilted and the those on the right look smooth, but that could just be a quirk of the photograph.
But I think they're originally yours seeds, Chrissy? Or did you get them from somewhere else? Amazing how they've done the rounds. Now all they have to do is make their way back to you LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 28, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9142503

I had Domain x Buck's Fizz ...so did Wayne I think.
Good on you Gina ...they should grow like mad up there now we are going into Winter, a perfect time in your climate as it may be too hot in Summer. In Summer up there they would need plenty of shelter. Shade clothe if you don't have trees.

Well it's a bit depressing out in the garden, lots of dropped buds, sadly Fernando is dropping most of them, he seems to like moderate temps to put on his show.Lots of leaves starting to shed ...It's Winter *Sigh* The seed Pods are holding on ...so far.
I miss my darlings already.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9142639

I know I shouldn't have risked, it but I just had to see if they were fertile ...I will be having a long long Winter nursing this latest little test seed ...it's from BB (Holland/German) ...it sprouted !, couldn't be more thrilled, it is Creamsickle x Super Spot. Hopefully this means they are all fertile. I wanted to see if it was ok because the seed cases look so different to the USA seed cases, so was concerned it might have meant they were no good. If I lose this little baby it will be a sad thing, however at least I can say those seeds are good if anyone was worried about theirs or contemplating the purchase of some. As mentioned I have many little bubbies in their humidy cribs outside ...they are doing ok, but Winter is just starting, it will be a good and scary/exciting experiment. If I lose them we still know the others will grow quickly in Spring. I will nurture this one though because as you know I lusted over Creamsickle for my work towards a white version of Twilight Time. I love her shape and stamina in T T and dearly hope to come as close as possible to a white version of her.
I planted one each of every seed I got from Liz too- well yes I know- naughty but testing, OMG sprouts everywhere.
Blaming Alistair and his HUANDUJ.
My back aches just thinking about all the work next year ...oh but I can't wait .
How about you ?
I forgot to ask what your favourite section of the book was ? or which part you enjoyed the most.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9142760

Hi folks.. Hope this is not true but today I was talking to a friend who, until recently, operated a commercial hibiscus nursery in Queensland and he tells me that the Federal Govt is soon to announce making brugs and datura ILLEGAL. Although this friend is no longer operating a nursery he is still in receipt of nursery trade magazines and is in contact with other nursery operators so perhaps he knows what he is talking about? He has heard that the government is presently trying to work out a compensation package for one specialist brugmansia nursery who will be forced to shut down after the announcement.
Has anyone else heard anything in the grapevine in relation to this??
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9142798

Hi Allan it has been about a year and a half since that was to be on the list of things to be looked at.
Since that time the Attorney General has been replaced and nothing more has been seen of this subject.
I think a certain Nursery up North is probably not happy to see home gardeners making beautiful Brugs.
I am not concerned, I wasn't then and I am not now.
We are just gardeners, not *Drug pushers*, if they are after anyone, it is people like *that. Not people like us.
Just my opinion of course. Many Nurseries sell them now, even Bunnings. ^_^
Alistair's Book has also come out since then ...applauded by Gardening experts World Wide.

chrissy

This message was edited May 29, 2012 11:35 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9143833

That sounds very convincing, Allan...
Except for the fact that I was listening to Stephen Ryan (former host of Gardening Australia) on radio 2 weeks ago and he was extolling the virtues of Brugmansias and bemoaning the fact that he lives on Mt Macedon and can't grow the warm climate ones, but was planning on trying the varieties that grow at higher altitudes...This discussion came about because the panel was reading Alistair's book and Stephen had received an invitation to the book launch in Melbourne, which he was looking forward to attending.

So I tend to think that if a ban was imminent, he might have mentioned it...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9143925

Thanks for that little tid bit Dianne, would you mind telling us which radio station it was on so I can track it down ?

Shaun will be there at the launch ...can't wait to hear how it went,
I hope it is a raging success and the beautiful HUANDUJ sells out.

Australian gardeners should get to know Brugmansia, hopefully one day they will take their rightful place in gardens everywhere.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9143963

Hi guys,
i am a full on freak for Brugs like we all are,
the common person states "that's poisonous" i mention is it not beautiful
what we need to do is get them thinking differently about our plants. as long as the mind set is in Poison mode there will probably be not much movement in the growing or advancement of Brugmansia in Australia.

Dianne thanks for that little bit of info, i know Steve Ryan from about 15years ago as i bought from his nursery in Mt Macedon some very rare & unusual perennials but i don't think he has it any more it was behind the post office.

I will be at the Book Launch on Thursday so ill meet Alistair in person which should be a thrill as i have been buying from him for almost 10years i think the first email was 2005
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9143976

Mt Macedon would be perfect for the cold-climate brugs. Mind you, I'm not convinced that he couldn't grow the so-called warm-climate ones outside too. Maybe not in the open, but under the shelter of trees etc. I would think they would grow and flower, just over a shorter period.

A comparison of my two double pinks. It's a shame that the one with triple blooms has turned out to be so troublesome (with so many deformed blooms, insect-infected leaves and deformed innards). PS: At top right you can see a bit of Chrissy's Old Apricot x Butterbomb.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 10:27 AM

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9143982

Still some fog here, but the brugs love the cool and moist air.
There are buds everywhere but I htink they will not gow too much more when the cold wind and maybe a frost or two get at them.
The 2 GHAs are a mass of buds and they will flower.
I have plenty of nice new green growth which looks lovely now but will fall off during winter.
I am so pleased with the little Knightii as she shows her dainty flowers . The white does look lovely on these dull days.
I see that Clementine is deciding to put out a few buds again. She is very moody here.

BB will flower again soon too. Like GHA he likes the cool .

The coldies are looking so much better now and I am going to move more of them outside the shadehouse.

Shaun, you will enjoy yourself at the book launch.
Congratulations to Alistair and all concerned with the book.

With regard to the talk on banning brugs, all I can say is, they had better ban everything as almost all we grow is poisonous in some way.
Even some of our "healthy " vegies can be harmful if used the wrong way.
My brugs are staying here, no matter what.
Can you imagine people going all over the country trying to locate and destroy every brug ?
I would be asking what is in their gardens that can be poisonous.
All the Botanic Gardens have some sort of harmful plants .
Maybe we should get together and ban all the "people police"
They do more harm with their stupid ideas.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9144162

Sounds lovely Jean, I hope you get to see some more blooms, love foggy mornings.

Have fun Shaun ...take pics !

cestrum that bloom is so pretty, what a shame it has problems. I still think it could improve, try some cuttings in different places if you can, it may need more sun, less sun, more shade or less shade etc, I don't really have to tell you that I know, but it is just general advice to everyone who has a pretty Brug with problems, I like your water marks, I can still see the flowers now ^_^

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9144179

I have taken cuttings of it for that very purpose, Chrissy, as the exposed branches would have died back from frost anyway. If they strike, I'll plant them in different spots around the garden. I won't be giving any more pieces of it away though because I think it just has too many problems. Esp. when we've got so many doubles coming on now anyway. (Although I don't mind breeding from it, to see if these problems can be overcome. Except that most of the time the innards are deformed and almost impossible to use!)

I'm referring to the triple bloomer, not this one, which is the more reliable double pink. (Shown here with OA x BB.)

This message was edited May 30, 2012 12:53 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9144272

Stephen is still in Mt Macedon, Shaun...I see him every spring when the plant sale is on.
I remember the first time that I went to his nursery, we went for a drive with the kids...I thought "what a mess", but over the years I've become used to his style of nursery, there are a few like his around...his enthusiasm is so contagious, and his knowledge is immense...a really wonderful gardening personality.

Chrissy the station is 3CR...it's has podcasts, which are convenient...

That triple pink Brugmansia is really pretty so let's hope you can find the perfect spot for it, cestrum.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9144290

I love those sort of nurseries! What a treat, wish I had seen it.
Mt Macedon is known for its gardens (probably why he chose to live there).
I can't wait to see what seedlings this double pink produces; there must be some good ones among them!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 29, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9144291

I found this with regards to the proposed banning of Brugmansia,

http://www.susankirk.com.au/2012/backyard-ban-on-ornamental-plants/

but it appears that it may be from last year though... I've not heard any recent updates...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 29, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9144292

Gena those seedlings look good, wow they really have been all around the country eh!!

I was in FNQ quite recently actually, I saw some brugs there, pink aurea hybrid, knightii and suaveolens hybrid... but they were not as common as down here

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9144296

cestrum, nowadays I love that sort of nursery too...the one at Portarlington where I buy little gems each time I'm there, inc my Sanguinea for $8, has now changed hands and the new owner wouldn't know a Salvia from a potato...and it's overflowing with lots of species of Salvia and other treasures...

Stephen Ryan grew up in Mt Macedon, evidently his parents had a nursery in the area...I've been listening to him for years on 3CR.

This message was edited May 30, 2012 5:18 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9144300

It's a trend, I think, where people casting around for a business decide to buy a nursery. Instead of say, a newsagency or PO franchise. Of course, they know virtually nothing about plants but that's because it's all about the business (i.e. just stocking the mass-propagated plants).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 29, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9144303

I can't see this one lasting, because the previous owner subsidized his income with gardening in the area...
This lot has been there 2 months and they haven't done a thing...no new stock, nothing to put their own stamp on the nursery...the owner sits there with her iPhone, no acknowledgement either when you walk past.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9144307

It *is* tough but when all a nursery can offer is the same pots of annuals you can get at a supermarket, then people have no reason to shop there. The industry will probably end up consisting mainly of the massive 'garden centres' with a few small specialist nurseries for rare/r plants run by gardeners who probably will have to supplement their income from other sources. And even they will have to deal with competition from ebay sellers, including home gardeners.
But that's pretty bad behaviour from the *owner*! Almost actively discouraging visitors a la the Fawlty Towers Plant Nursery LOL What? Did you want to buy a plant? An ACTUAL plant?! ...

This message was edited May 30, 2012 5:09 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9144309

Hi lucas yes it's an old article now, and as I said, we have had a change of Attorney General since that time.
Susan is a friend of mine on FB and she wants some bits of Brugs in Spring, so I don't think she is too worried.

I purchased my lovely Ginko in a small boutique Nursery around Bowral way years ago, it was full of quaint and rare little bits and pieces, I loved it, but it's gone now (most are) ...I think News Agents and Post Offices may be going that way too, thanks to the cyber World. I hope I don't live to see the demise of books ...it will come too sadly (hopefully far far away).

Thanks for your pretty pictures ...they made me smile.
Missing my Brugs.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 30, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9144321

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]What? Did you want to buy a plant? An ACTUAL plant?! ...

LoL, I don't think that I will from there again...unless attitudes change.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9144325

i have been cruzzing melbourne and surrounding areas for over 25 years looking for Nurseries that may have the rare & unusual plants as the years go by they are being wiped out by no other business then Bunnings where u can get every thing you need in 1 spot, but this dose not help those that collect and love the rare/r collectables.
i have 1 nursery left over my way that carries many different plants but nothing what i call rare.
I used to work for a plant man @ Honeysuckle Farm Sassafras vic back in the 1990"s he had what was considered rare, Unusual & Bazar plants i found many plants there i could not find any were else but once again i supplied him Brugmansia

Dianna i also love those Nurseries that you have to walk all over the weedy post and over grown areas to find that TREASURE and most of the time the Nursery man forgot that it was even in the nursery.

i do hope that there will be quite a number of Unusual Nurseries still around in the future or we will be getting things by seed and having them Imported to us which will be a shame

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9144382

I tracked it down and they gave this book the big wrap it well deserves.

http://podcast.3cr.org.au/pod/3CRCast-2012-05-13-95993.mp3

It is about half way through the program ...Alistair they want to interview you !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 30, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9144457

You must have missed this one Chrissy,

Alistair, if you look in before tomorrow night, good luck with the launch...it will be an interesting evening.
Shaun is very fortunate and we expect him to give us a detailed review...write everything down,Shaun..
You are our eyes and ears...
Enjoy yourselves both of you.

Shaun, don't forget it's pronounced one- dookh...lol

This message was edited May 30, 2012 11:34 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9144486

I now know we can post pods (never tried before).
Memory is no longer as good as it used to be sometimes (as specially when I am tired).
Glad to have heard it thanks again.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9145366

Tonight's the night, then. Shaun is our designated reporter :-)
Normally a bloom would be removed from a cutting so that the energy isn't diverted away from root formation, but I'm keeping this one out of curiosity. Perhaps I'll get some pollen from it. Meanwhile, is there an ugly Golden Butter seedling? I haven't had one yet ...
PS: I wonder if Shaun has a twitter a/c? Because I can just see him tweeting away during the launch LOL

This message was edited May 31, 2012 10:33 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9145418

They are beautiful cestrum, my starving eyes say thankyou, after being out there begging my buds not to drop any more ... please.
I don't think many are listening. The pods that remain hold tiny silhouettes of premi blooms ...will they ? or won't they ?
I think the warmish sun and dry days have come too late. Full sized Calxy holding teensy baby buds within.
Moved more germinated seeds into their little humidy cribs, oh woe, slapping my silly self for this foolishness.
Found those smelly shield bugs on a couple of Brugs this morning(squish-ewe the stink !) and a paper wasp nest in Poison, I am beginning to wonder if the donated pollens came from the wasps this year, there have been flurries of them all over the place, they just love the wet.

Jean's Nasturtiums are starting to pop up to try and cheer me up, they do make me smile. Bright happy little things.
The Sun is warm and loving today, no harsh sting or burn just a poignant reminder of the lack of it this year.
I hope everyone is enjoying it.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9145769

at the Book launch!
there was a gathering of about 80 people from all over Victoria & NSW
there was Mr Ryan from Gardening Australia and the producer also, then there was Clive larkman from Larkman Nursery & romantic cottage plants which i worked for almost 20years ago hahah he even remembered my name.
the was an introduction from the friends of the Botanic Gardens explaining there roll and experience with in the community.
there was the director of ?? which introduced Alistair whom then spoke about his book in a brief was & his experience in collaboration of informantion for this book
I found him to be a very kind and softly spoken man, knowledge is vast and recall very quick,
im not a good reporter but this is all i could come up with hahhaha
i have 1 pic with him and i could not be bothered with any more as i felt a bit shy.

i was also swamped with questions about breeding as they found out that i was 1 of about 10 in Australia

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9145791

Thanks Shaun ...love the picture,(FB)
sounds like a wonderful success,
catch up with you after all the excitement ^_^

http://www.facebook.com/chris.tonitto/posts/442417705769069?notif_t=like

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9145898

Thanks for the link Chrissy, it's a very nice pic...
Shaun, so glad that you had a chance to chat with Alistair...sounds as though you had an interesting evening...
I'm sure that you will remember relevant bits of the discussions, when you come down off that cloud...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9146662

Can't see any facebook images, but sounds like it was a good night.
But surely there are more than 10 of us?
Here's my Dr Seuss X in full winter colour. Shame it's such a sparse bloomer.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9146720

I think Shaun meant sellers of Brugs ...not we hobby Brug nuts.
I guess he will tell us all about it, I wonder how many Brug nuts were there last night, I would love to know how many of us are out there working quietly away to make beautiful Brugs.

Dr Seuss is a nice Brug cestrum, though it is said to carry stem blight in it's progeny (overseas anyway) according to our Brug Bible.
Wonder if it happens here ? have you seen anything like that in your seedling plants ?

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9146730

Stem blight? Dunno--too many things attacking my brugs to tell!
Biggest problem has been headless/leafless seedlings leading to death. Could be that damage attributed to snails/slugs and/or wilt might be due to other causes? But this problem is common to all my brug seedlings, not just those few from my Dr Seuss X.
I'm pretty sure that every disease/insect known to attack brugs exists in my garden!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9146802

Headless seedlings/seedlings with tops withered away is the main problem. I also have dieback on branches. Tends to happen here and there so I just usually prune it off, but seems quite prevalent on that deformed double pink and the Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama seedling, which has been a weakling from the outset. (All growing in the same bed too). I'll see what happens when I plant cuttings in different spots around the garden.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9146814

Since putting my little seedlings into the humidy cribs I haven't lost one.
Germinating them in an enclosed situation inside ... seems to do the trick, I am using and old plastic first aid box (it's air tight once shut) but you can use any airtight semi transparent container. I sterilize the washed river sand that I plant them into.(no bugs or fungas is present after that). I don't wait for the true leaves to emerge before I put them into their humidy cribs, just the cot leaves. I find the sand lets go of the roots very easily and I plant them into more sand because sand allows quick further rooting. No fertilizer. The first ones are sending out their true leaves so I will give them some very dilute Seasol in a couple of weeks.

It keeps the bugs out and the humidity in.
So far so good, just waiting to see if the low temps kill them.
I intend to start them this way in the future (August) because I know they will get big enough to survive, this way.
Nothing sadder than little headless babies.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9146833

I have found that putting them into those mini-propagators with the lid closed and seals shuts, kept outside and not in the sunroom (where gnats etc. become a problem), is the most effective way of germinating the seedlings. (BTW, the recent drop to about 1 deg. C overnight did no damage to seedlings kept this way outside.) But when their tops reach the lid they need to be potted up, and that's when I get massive diebacks because even keeping them in the larger plastic greenhouses outside cannot save them from slugs/snails, which crawl inside from underneath.

There are just so many insects here, I swear, more than I ever had to contend with in Melbourne. I've been constantly picking off snails from overhanging branches (of all plants, not just brugs) whenever I've stepped outside for, what, about two years now. There is just more of *everything* here!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9146835

Looking at seedling number one ...was it planted up to the cot leaves scars when you potted it on ?
I see that long pale part under the cot leave scars, when you plant that part under the medium it will send out more roots (just like tomato plants do).
Brugs hate temps over 30C ...so they shut down in really high heat.
They almost seem to self prune down to the next lowest shoot. See picture 3. Just cut off. I don't think it is disease, but can't really tell from a picture.
I think there is a fungal/or burn issue in picture 2 (did you fertilize too soon perhaps)
Try hydrogen peroxide for the fungal issues or medium that was too wet and caused rot in the roots.
The only other thing I can suggest is an overheating in the situation, perhaps some cooking of tender new shoots.

Anyone else have any suggestions or problems with the seedlings ?

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9146853

Yes ok ...I see Monika places her pots in black plastic bags (maybe to keep bugs out ).
It's very very hard to be an organic gardener (probably why we have so many slugs and snails) the cats that everyone has probably kill the Blue Tongue babies and so the munchers don't have the predators to keep them down and lets face it ...soooo much rain has caused them to explode in population.
You don't see many in drought.
It is an endless struggle with bugs ...we don't have perfect leaves because we don't use poison, but we do want leaves ^_^

Going from a virtual hot house to outside can often be a rude shock, we need to harden them off gradually, mind you if they are a robust seedling they will survive so long as they are not cooked, the leaves may drop but new ones should grow in to replace them.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9146894

Going from the sealed mini-propagator to the larger plastic greenhouse (all outside) is where the main shock occurs/when the snails/slugs attack; most don't make it into the open garden at all. The pets do drive away the blue-tongue lizards, but the snails are in the canopies where not even the small skinks can reach them. I think the combo of two years of good rain + the growth of the overhead canopy has created the problem, as there were far fewer snails when the garden baked in the sun.
But I wouldn't wish the drought (or absence of overhead canopy) back again!
And, as I said, we have *everything* here. These bananas were eaten by bats outside before I cut them down and brought them into the garage for the remainder to ripen safely. Except that I noticed that the bananas were disappearing *from the shut garage* each night as they ripened! So the rat trap is baited.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9146940

The humidy crib ...I now am using plastic straws to hold up the stiff plastic bags.
The cup is 5" tall, I sit it inside another cup with a wider mouth and my plastic cup (with holes for drainage) sits inside the wider cup and there is a drainage space of about 1/4 of an inch. between the inner cup and the outer cup with no holes.
The bag space above the seedling will allow 9 inches of growth (not that I think that will happen in Winter), just in case, before I need to pot it up further. If I see any active growth I can add more sand up to the cot leave scars a little at a time,though if you did this in Spring you could fill the sand up to the scars straight away, you should see them take off when you do that. Of course any babies germinated inside or in hothouse conditions are very very tender compared outside germination (my earlier seeds were all done outside and with great success, I was out there every two hours spritzing and inspecting (outside is still preferable) but since I got my silly self into this mess by sprouting some choice crosses, I have to see it through and of course this is just an experiment now. I don't want weak skinny kids so I have watch closely on the progress, hopefully we will have Winter sun often to give them strength. I move these H.cribs outside after the sun has warmed the day up and still has a few hours to go before it gets to the cold twilight, so the baby brug has time to adjust before the cold night.

So cestrum I am thinking for your babies the loose plastic bag from underneath the pot secured somehow above the rim when you move them out in Spring may save you some grief. I wouldn't plant any into the ground until they are two or three foot tall. After that they can usually survive the munchers.
Here is one of the newly hatched babies in it's little crib.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9146960

Commiserations, my first year here the rats ate all my corn cobs, the bats attack here too and yes the arboreal snails have been outrageous this year, still are.

We just have to keep plugging away, at least we don't get snow like the poor gardeners across the pond, so nothing is perfect and no where is without the problems.
I would not live in QLD because of the heat and the critters, not that we are so very far behind in some ways,I do love the Seasons ...yes even the missed Summer was not really hated ^_^
The next Season is not so very far away ...here we go again !

Catch us if you can !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQCN5x1-NI

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9147061

I'll have to give it some thought for spring. It's a matter of what works for me, and my days of moving seedlings around between day and night are long gone! Actually, am not looking forward to spring. Although it's a relatively cool day here, I still had a couple of mosquitoes buzzing around me as I worked outside, and this will turn into a cloud when the heat/humidity returns. Plus, we've had very little storm activity for the last two years and I expect this spring/summer will see a return of the more usual thunderstorms, which are scary. As you say, we don't have to contend with snow here and in fact I find this cool weather a welcome respite--plus, the weeds and grass slow down, yay!-- just a shame about the frost. (Which they get even in Florida ... actually, there are even snow-covered mountains in some parts of Hawaii in winter. Strangely, we rarely think about that LOL)

The upside of all this insect activity is the incredible fecundity of the plants. I'm sure I wouldn't have all these seeds and volunteer seedlings (and champacas as weeds!) in Melbourne. So it's swings and roundabouts, as is usually the case.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9147070

PS I haven't been able to track down the source of my white suaveolens. The gardener who I thought gave it to me says she has no memory of doing so, and in fact doesn't even have such a brug herself. So its source and parentage will have to remain a mystery.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9147088

Chrissy & cestrum, I know my climate is way different to yours . I kept little babies inside the house during the first season I ever planted any but it became such a pain to move them all the time when the space was wanted. There was also the shock of finally going outside .
I have found in the years since , that it is easier to have no babying just plant outside from the start.
I use the mini greenhouse inside the large one and when they are about 2" still with the cot leaves, out they come into the large greenhouse.
Sometimes I just leave the trays on the bench in the large greenhouse if the mini one is full.
I look at it this way, if they are going to grow and survive, they have to start hard.
I rarely lose any sprouted seedlings even in the cold.
Of course, there are those seeds that dont sprout at all , but they may not have sprouted anyway even if babied.
Once the dear things are about 5"- 6"tall, they go down to the shadehouse .
Doing things this way means I have more room in each space as each lot moves on .
Sort of a slow production line..lol

Chrissy , I tried the sand here but found that coir blocks & perlite for the seeds, seed raising mix for the seedlings and potting mix +water crystals for the older ones is what works best for me.

As always with any plants, what works for one doesnt always work for another.

My brugs at the moment, are enjoying the cool weather, but as it gets colder , they will start to drop their leaves & buds. I just hope the pods stay on.

GHA & BB dont realise its winter They are both full of buds. Dear things.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9147106

It's time for you both to consider Victoria...I was going to say no rats and no bats, but in parts of Melbourne bats are a problem...so I'm inviting you to the beautiful Bellarine...maybe there is a rat, but I haven't seen a bat...
Our soil grows anything, our climate is mild, what more could you want...lol
Plus we can grow all types of Brugmansias...now if that isn't an incentive..!!!!

cestrum, my bi carb barrier, saved all of my seedlings since January...they did come under air attack from little caterpillars, but they didn't do much damage, very easy to spot on the littlies...

I've never had a headless one, grow more leaves, no matter how long I've kept it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 31, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9147164

I am moving to Warragamba when we can't cope here any longer, I hope by then to have about 30/40 of the best brugs we can breed here in Australia. There will come a time when we will have to say whoa ...my heart hurts thinking about it, but I will need to be content with that. I suppose the Winter growing may speed the breeding up ...but probably not ^_^, we can wish though can't we?

Once I get my perfect white, the heart will be satisfied hopefully.
Warragamba is a nice high Elevation and does not get frost (lilacs grow there, so do Mango and Paw Paw if you plant them near the home).
It will probably be nice to have a manageable garden by then. You don't know what aches or pains may come (heaven forbid) but we all get older don't we.

Meanwhile back here, I spy tendrils peeping out of Ivoire and Knightti - still lots of buds out there and still endless pods.
I have had headless seedlings grow in the past ...if some cot leaf cells remain on the stalk it will survive, you can hardly see them but if look at them through a magnifying glass and you will see green bits at the top of the stalk, if it is a wanted cross it is worth the patience, if not give it a little burial.
Jean I like the sand because it is very heavy yet airy this stops the wind blowing pots over and allows the roots to go for their lives, you don't get rot. I live with so much rain that, I am really glad I chose it as a medium. The heavy clay is what started me on it, if I had had ordinary potting mix things would have rotted away.
At Warragamba the soil is almost pure sandstone particles ...like digging in sand, so I just add lots of cow poo and blood and bone ...things grow like mad.
As mentioned we all have different things to deal with, for me time is the greatest difficulty. Hopefully my husband's health will continue to endure, he turns 75 in 4 months, he is very fit but age catches up with all of us.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9148074

sorry guys iv been bizy at work and have only been reading the post that you guys have been doing.
1: SNAILS if you have grass this is where they breed & live in general at the base of the grass blades so to keep the lawn cut low and keep weeds down you should have less problems, there are also many plants that harbour then like Agapanthus, Acanthus, i have also noticed that MARIGOLD will gather them also which makes it eaiser to collect them.

2: Propagation containers i use containers from the reject shop and also another way is the polly box is a great idea the ones that are completely sealed for germination and the warmth is kept in quite well, i place a second container upside down on to of it so it's about 6-7inches tall but about 4inches of room for the seedlings to grow into, im finding it a good way of keeping the humidity up and the seeds seem to relay like it.

3:cestrum, sorry to hear that you have so many problems up there i hope that you can get it all under control as we dont need to many problems as we gather and breed our collections,

4: headless seedlings i have only ever has Tabby from BGI which is headless and 2 other seedlings that are i dont discard them they however are set back by a number of weeks or months because of this issue, Chrissy i have also found that if there is a few Cot cells that the plant will also send out new growth which is very interesting to see

Talk soon
Shaun
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 1, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9148535

I might try the cup method for a few select seedlings, as it's a way of letting them grow a bit larger while giving them the humidity they love (at that stage) while also protecting against the insects.
Chrissy, yours sounds like an excellent plan. The last thing you want to do when you're older is to move somewhere unfamiliar. Love the sound of that sandy soil too--so different from the heavy black bitumen masquerading as soil here LOL Imagine being able to dig in the garden with a shovel instead of using a pickaxe!
I know I said no more knightii crosses, but both blooms were in flower and I realised that I haven't crossed any with Bucks Fizz, which has a lot of very fluffy pollen so it should take.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 1, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9148538

Couldn't resist pairing these two either. It doesn't look like a match made in heaven, but who knows what interesting combo these two might create.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 2, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9148575

I hope those crosses take cestrum ...so happy you have blooms, Of course you must try again with Knightii and BF is irresistible.
It's grey and wet here, more tendrils starting to make an entrance today, they are all in slow motion though. More dropped buds.
Not awfully cold thanks to the rain.

It was said this morning on the radio that Winter may be mild this year -oh if only.
Lovely pics ! Bucks Fizz is a lovely colour isn't it ? sort of glows i real life.

Hi Shaun, I bet you are still feeling the excitement of the Book launch, can't wait to hear more when you have a few mins. ^_^

chrissy

Garry_Maxey
Florala, AL

June 2, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9149002

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262592/

could someone please have a look at this and tell me what i have... now the white/yellow has turned pink since yest..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 2, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9149464

G'day Garry, wish I could help you, but we don't have access to your American Brugs, only what we have here in Australia. Generally if you can't ID the bloom it is called a Noid (meaning it does not have an official identity).
Very many pink Brugs go through that colour change as described by you, aren't they fascinating?
Just enjoy your pretty Brug, it does not need a name in order for you to love it.
Sorry I can't be of more help, loved your picture though. ^_^ thankyou .
Thanks to you too moon.

edited to say Garry you try this thread here, as they would be more able to help since they have experience with your Brugs over there. :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/brugsetc/all/

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 9:58 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9150290

Thanks Chrissy...it was worth a shot. I know so little about Brugs and hoped the color change might be indicative of a certain cultivar that was familiar on both sides of the pond. And...all the Brug growers I am familiar with are in AU...grin.

Moon
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9150609

i was having a look at my plants this morning in the cold and noticed that one of my Hybrids from 2009 has a 'Y' so it will be blooming in the spring if not during winter it is a cross of 'Tantra X.aurea(form) and to my knowledge it is a small flower just popping out the calyx Simular to that of 'Dwarf Pink'n'Green so when it dose bloom i will probably cross it with DPG to keep it small and aurea like it is of a single appearance so i don't expect anything different.

Lucas, I was talking with people from Mel Bot (i mentioned that there plants were miss Identified) they gave me a name so that if we ID them we can contact them with the right names and then they will verify it through there Botanists 'they also mentioned that there has been many plants over the last 2 decades that have been miss ID and there is a new group of people there trying to get things back in shape. so if we get all the Brugmansia ID correctly at least then people willl know what they are looking at properly

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 3, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9150682

That's nice to know Shaun, I certainly agree re miss named Brugs, but that was before we knew that kind of info. Different Nurseries changing names or some not knowing much about Brugmansia having a guess.

Good luck with your Y though it may have to wait until late Winter or Spring before the blooms (unless Winter is very mild).
Many Brugs that start in cool temps may be "stressed" which is one of the reasons we must watch them for a few flushes.

Moon you are unfamiliar with Brugs ? ...you need one or two to love.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 3, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9151102

Blowing a gale here, so I cut the top growth from the fasciated part of Pink Panther...it was very bushy and the wind was catching it, it just might have snapped off...I have those pods this far and don't want to lose them...the smaller ones are behind the big ones.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 3, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9151116

I have been out there ...wet but not too cold, we have had a bit of sun here and there.
Ivoire is sticking her tongue out at me the cheeky thing, just like Rothkirch does, at the moment it's all green tendrils and the tongue poking out :) laughing at me I swear. Gotta wonder how much Rothkirch may be in that bloom.

Yet more babies have germinated, yet more humidy cribs fixed and occupied, oopsy me (thought some of the seeds weren't great to look at so, wanted to test the fertility) ! I have a horrible feeling all these test seeds are going to pop up, whether I like it or not. Just hoping they survive out there, all the others are popping their true leaves outside, but we are yet to see what happens when the frost comes. In my opinion this is a great way to start the seeds in August, not one head lost in 36 so far, no bugs have got to them, not even in the H.cribs. If these survive Winter I think we might be able to save months in the growing time. Save being the word because to lose a precious cross is just too cruel.

Dianne that is exciting, I bet PP is the only Brug that could have set pods under those conditions, a fertility Goddess for sure !
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they real carried the ten tendril trait, but I think they would need to have that same growth habit that produced this wondrous Brug. What fun though huh ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 4, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9151154

Thinking about it, Chrissy...there has to be a change in the gene structure to produce the fasciation, so if you go along with that theory, it's possible for it to pass something on...maybe it will be the capacity to have twin pods...who knows, probably one seed will carry that gene but which one...lol
As well as that, will the pollen have the same capability...luckily Allan has pollinated Fernando and Mango Cornet...so fingers crossed that they hold on...
Shaun did you have any luck with the pollen?

Chrissy, Ivoire is probably wondering where she is...those corolla teeth are checking out her surroundings before she ventures out...lol

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 7:43 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9151563

I have 5 brugs here Chrissy...2 large whites, an apricot and a yellow and a small variegated white that has shredded petals...and so far as I know, all NOIDS.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9152208

.•*Ļ`*•. ☆ .•*Ļ`*•. .•*Ļ`*•. ☆ .•*Ļ`*•.
Wishing You the HAPPIEST of Birthday's !!!
✿•*Ļ`*•. (Ŋ`vīŊ) (Ŋ`vīŊ) .•*Ļ`*•✿
. . . ✿•*Ļ`*•.ļ(Ŋ`vīŊ)ļ.•ī*Ļ`*•✿ . . .
……………… ...♥ •.ļ.•ī♥…………

Jean I hope it's a wonderful day for you !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9152211

moon ...I didn't know you had Brugs ! loved the shredded V.one ...something we have never seen here in Australia, looks like a variegated Star Dancer. The others are pretty too.

Dianne it is very cold here this morning, hopefully Ivoire will still be cheeky (not frozen) we are expecting frost over the long weekend-sigh, oh well. It is Winter after all.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 4, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9152278

Thank you Chrissy.
I'm never too old for birthdays. I love birthday cake...lol

Moon your brugs are lovely.
I like the shredded petal one too. Love the variegated leaves.

My brugs are all hugging each other to keep warm.
I have them all close together on the veranda and down the back in their more sheltered corner.
Still buds & pods hanging on . I am hoping at least a few will do something.
Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9152316

Thank you, both. Chrissy in reading your kind response to Garry Maxey I had to laugh. That small variegated, shredded brug was sold as a Variegated Charles Grimaldi. I had it for 4 years before it decided to hold on to a bloom pod and when it bloomed, it was just a plain white flower...rather mundane. The next year the blooms were larger and again white. Last year, it put out nothing but shredded blooms, so I am looking forward to seeing what it does this year. The link shows the original Charles Grimaldi...which means I have a NOID that i think is spiffy...grin

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=2555

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9152681

I do too moon ^_^ it certainly is spiffy

Shredded blooms can and do occur when the blooms start -in weather extremes, so do multiple points appear on new growth, in changing conditions, between all of these things and the differing colours of the Brugs in Different weather ...it's like owning a three or four times the amount of plants as they have multi facets of personality !
We don't have Charles Grimaldi here, however we have some delicious yellows, we are really lucky in that regard.
Many Brugs improve with a bit of maturity. You need some more to love ♥ the fragrance alone is something every gardener should have one for. Did you know they come in many fragrances ?
Some like finest of French perfume, Roses, Citrus,butterscotch, Hyacinth, Lily, vanilla, minty, licorice, toffee all with an Almond undertone, (which may be stronger in some than others) some scents are described as soapy, baby talc etc. But that is a whole other chapter in the Brug adventure. Most of the ones we have here are very fragrant. ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 5, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9152823

Well, I'm glad I took the top off the fasciated part of PP, most of the Brugmansias in the garden have had all the top growth shredded..the winds were very wild and 2 large plants are on quite an angle...
It's going to hit Sydney tonight by the forecast...batten down the hatches up there...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9153015

Yes, they can have exquisite fragrance. Before we moved here, I had about a dozen brugs in the ground...when my grandson was little he said i had a Nose garden...grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 5, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9154081

Just been out talking to my brugs. Its very cold out there so here I am back near the heater.
No rain, but a freezing wind.

I know this is going to sound odd, but I think my brugs are enjoying the cold.
This is the warmies I am talking about. They seem to be going mad with new leaves and buds everywhere. .
I counted 10 buds on Mango Cornet . 15 on Opale Etoile. There are others with one or two.
Even one of the arboreas is flowering.

The coldies are looking a bit sad . Some of the sangs are not too bad . I think the two lots must be a little confused as to who is supposed to like the cold .
I suspect that I will see a lot of difference once we get more into winter.
Then again, I may be wrong.
I have jonquils already in flower & buds on the daffies. One of the magpies is building a nest.
Maybe Mother Nature is playing her tricks again.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 5, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9154137

Had shocking weather here ...still picking up stuff from across the road now in our yard etc. Trees down all over town and in many places.
Back later,

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9154172

Jean, that's great to know you have buds on your plants i also have bugs popping up every where it's like a march to the opening it will take longer to open but there coming.

Very cold here in Croydon, there was fog till about 9.30am and then the sun popped out for a while but with the cold southerly winds just makes your bones shutter.

Just bought plant 'Ochre' had to get it, cost $39 including p&h.
the plant was as long as a ruler and as thick as a pencil with a small amount of roots not to what i'm use to and on pot of that and think you had a great plant to find scale on it also what dose he do with his plant

i now have about 12 aurea varieties and still have to cross some together to see for diversity

can any one help in locating more aurea (Australia)

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 8:07 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 6, 2012
12:43 AM

Post #9154176

Shaun, I have that Butter Bomb X GHA seedling that I will be cutting back soon. Would you like some of that? It hasn't got a name. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9156207

We have moved into Winter ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263696/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America