Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: Can anyone tell me what type of spider this is please?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emmamme

May 22, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9133021

There's hundreds of these spiders living in my garden.

I have a relatively small garden, theres a border of plants and flowers around the edge and the middle of the garden is all stones. The spiders seem to be living/hiding in the stones. They don't seem to have made any webs, instead live on the ground. I'd guess they're about an inch long (inc legs). For a while i thought they were wolf spiders, but found out wolf spiders are nocturnal -and these spiders are most active in the afternoon sun. I did see one that looked like it had a white egg sac on it though.

(sorry, spiders are a little camouflaged in the stones)

This message was edited May 22, 2012 2:30 AM

Thumbnail by emmamme   Thumbnail by emmamme
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

May 22, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9133084

Could very well be wolf spiders - this family includes some very small species, and I have seen them active during the daytime.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America