Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Overwintering Tree Roses

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9133402

I am very new to gardening, so I apologize in advance. I do know that I am living in Zone 6a.
I recently purchased 3 tree roses: Peace, Black Cherry, and Pope John Paul II, each about 5 feet tall (including pot). They are in containers because A) we rent and eventually I want to take them with me, and B) I'd like to bring them in during winter to ensure they survive. I would hate to see my rather large investment go down the tubes in less than a year. I already had a major battle with black spot that they already had when I purchased them. Being an inexperienced gardner, the guy at the nursery sold me a fungicide and assured me it would be ok. After everyone's leaves either fell off on their own or were pruned away by me, we finally have lots of new growth that seems to be black spot free for now. (Fingers crossed!!) Anyway, after that fiasco, I am a little hesitant to listen to "the guy" anymore. When I purchased them, the guy told me that I should let the frost hit them once and then bring them in and store them in a cool, dark place. I'm thinking, my basement, perfect! He also suggested that I cut their water back to maybe once or twice a month and then bring them out next spring. Does this sound about right? When would be a good time to prune them? When would be a good time to repot them? (They are still in the pots that they came in, they were decorative enough for my needs at the moment). Are there any other tips you can give me about these? Also, can I grow rose bushes in containers in the same manner? Thank you all for your help!! I just love this new forum for gardening discussions. :)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9133420

http://www.denverrosesociety.org/education/Carol_Macon_Containers.pdf

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9133528

Thank you Flow! This was a very insightful article. :)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9133538

You're welcome, there is great info in there

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America