Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: unknowed flower

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Angel_1966
Carlsbad, NM

May 22, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9134554

Small blue flower kinda thin slim leaves. i found it in new mexico and was told it was called the little man in the boat

Thumbnail by Angel_1966
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9135627

that looks like a trillium but its a little fuzzy to tell for sure
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9136031

A better picture of the flower would help, but to me it looks like a Tradescantia or something closely related http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=tradescantia&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search Definitely not a Trillium.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9136860

haha you're right, not a trillium. i get those two mixed up. the tiny blue tradescantia grew wild in my old backyard
DracoVolans
Crestline, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9161606

I'm pretty certain it's a Tradescantia species- the way the top two leaves nest within each other with the blossom growing from that is typical. Hard to tell from the image, but the flower looks like a pinker variety of day-flower, or spiderwort, which is a wide-ranging species with many variations in colour found all over the southern U.S and through Mexico. Some are invasive, and all grow like gangbusters if left to their own devices. They will self-seed readily, can be drought-tolerant, doesn't mind light shade to sun, could care less what soil it's in as long as it isn't sopping wet, though full sun in hot areas can stress it. Can look really sweet in a hanging pot. :-) All in all, a pretty plant, just be careful where you put it!
gardenworm2
Standish, MI

June 15, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9166851

Yes its one of the Tradescantia varieties. I'm not certain which one but DracoVolans I agree with you and am certain that you are right.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America