Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Irises: HELP: Iris Damage - Vole?

Communities > Forums > Irises
bookmark
Forum: IrisesReplies: 8, Views: 197
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9135055

Hi all.

I am trying to figure out what is causing this damage/burn on my irises. I just rec'd my first named Iris this year, Before the Storm, and would like to see it bloom once before it's lost to something beyond my control!!

I've attached some pictures. My initial reaction is Voles. I'm looking for help to identify the problem, resolve it and prevent it in the future. Thanks so much.

-Paul

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp   Thumbnail by UMD_Terp
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9135082

Looks like a bad case of fungal leaf spot to me. Right Lucy? Unless you're referring to something else.

Avoid overhead watering, and you can apply a fungicide in early spring. Normally it won't hurt the rhizomes, but if it gets bad enough it can rot them. It's normally worse when you've had wet weather.

Also, I see it looks like you had some last years leaves still on the ground. You really need to take them off in the late fall or early spring. They can cause all sorts of problems.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9140168

Probably not voles, more likely poor housekeeping.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9167768

Even with good fall clean-up last year, some of my BB iris clumps had a lot of these little brown streaks... I was afraid it might be a sign of borers but was reassured on that count by Don Spooner... I saw similar markings on an iris (just one plant, out of thousands! LOL) in his garden and asked him about it... he said there's a fungal disease that is spread by (I think?) aphids, and indeed it's much more likely to pop up after a wet spring like we had.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 16, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9168133

agree
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9168190

Hey, Paul... wanted to mention... our local iris society has its rhizome sales Saturday July 14 (at Watson's Garden Center in Lutherville MD) and Saturday Aug. 21 (at Dutch Plant Farm in Frederick) this year. I wrote an article about the 2008 sale here, just to give you the flavor of the event: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1497/
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9169437

Excellent Thank you. I will definitely take a look at the sale.

So other than cleaning up what can I do about the fungal disease?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9169450

Don didn't seem to think there was a lot to be done about it, or that it was much of a concern (other than being unsightly). If you see aphids, a squirt from the hose to knock them off the leaves or a spray of insecticidal soap should take care of them and limit the spread of the fungal infection.

The MAG spring swap was such fun, we're looking for additional excuses to get together this summer... I'm sure we'll "do" lunch or some such after the iris sale... drop by the MAG forum and see what's up!
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 7, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9232727

Are you seeing more of this? What I am noticing from your pics is the brown leaves coming from the middle of the fan, and not just the outer leaves. Is this true? This may be a symptom of scorch, which I am becoming more informed about this year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America