Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Trading: Anyone have extra starts to share? Will pay postage;-)

Communities > Forums > Plant Trading
bookmark
Forum: Plant TradingReplies: 17, Views: 226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 23, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9135137

Looking for ANY flower or bulb or seed that will come back every year. And survive Zone 4. Really into cottage style gardening, so just about anything work. It's a full sun area I'm working on. Would post pictures but ya'll would laugh --after seeing all the beautiful flower beds on here ;-) I do have a shady area but it's under pine trees---Do hosta tolerate this? I will gladly pay postage if anyone can share, either stamps for seeds or Paypal for plants. Thank you for considering ;-)
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 23, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9135343

I could send you some 'Walker's Low" clippings. It's easy to start from clippings, takes a lot of abuse & once it's established it gives you the look of lavender but it's much more winter hardy. I'm doing cottage style too and I like the soft romantic feel this plant has. I'm going to the PO tomorrow morning, I could take another box along with me. :)

This message was edited May 23, 2012 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by dcartphoto   Thumbnail by dcartphoto
Click an image for an enlarged view.

smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 23, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9135356

Very pretty and it would go nice in my bed! I have never had any of this --I love new and different things! Yes I would love some! And will gladly pay the postage ;-) My address is in the address exchange. Or if you need it just holler, and if you want me to pay with paypal I can to. Thank you so much!!!!
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9135953

I have some pink flowering Spirea seedlings and nice size Missouri Primrose divisions:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1096/
Both are fast growing and spread well, great performers year round so I never get tired of them. Spirea will be very inexpensive to mail but Primrose clumps are rather heavy so it would be a good idea to use a med or large flat rate box. Or I could do a smaller box. Dmail me if interested

Oh, and will definitely have some seeds to share

Good luck and happy growing season!
smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 23, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9135967

I would be interested in both--how much do you think it would cost to mail?
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9136040

Depends on how many you want. I just checked USPS rates: $11.35 for med flat rate box, 15.45 for large. Or maybe it would be cheaper by Priority but I have to weight it first. I could start with 3-4 Primrose clumps and a few Spireas and we'll see how heavy it is.
smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 23, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9136080

if we could get it at no more than $10 I could handle that ;-)
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9136297

Yeah, those rates keep going up. The good news is if it's under 5 lb the priority box will cost no more than $10. Or less for smaller box.
smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 24, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9136501

Could they be mailed now? Let me know and i can send postage or paypal ;-)
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9136831

I'll do my best to get it ready by Sat. and will let you know as soon as I figure out the postage. The soil is bone dry and some rain would be soooooooooo nice...
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 25, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9137801

Just went to Menards yesterday and they had a bunch of small $1 perennials. They are really small, but the great thing about plants is they grow, right? :) Anyway lots of them we had here are perfect for cottage gardens. Hollyhocks, painted daisy's, coral bells, salvia, blackeyed susans, shasta daisy's... Just thought I would pass on the info so you could check your store if your interested.
smellthis
Shell Lake, WI

May 25, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9138173

Oh I need to make a trip to town pretty close to us. $1 --thats my kind of bargain's! I did get some marked down flower bulbs the other day ;-) And went to a plant sale a lady here had at her house and got 2 iris--She said all she knew was one was purple and one yellow, I got a start of each so I guess will see what they look like ;-)
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9140333

I have shasta daisy I could get you a start of for postage. Also I plant Dill. The butterflies love it and it's so easy. I also have corkscrew willows that are water rooted and ready for planting. I could send a few of those. Let me know if you're interested.

dcartphoto
to start walkers low do you just clip and stick it in water? Or ?

Kathy
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 27, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9140969

Kathy, you cut a stem of it at the base right above the bottom two leaves, it can be a small branch coming off a main one. Peel off the bottom two leaves, dip that end past the pealed leaf area into water then into rooting hormone, then stick into potting soil and keep watered. It should root in about three weeks.
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 27, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9140977

Almost forgot, I pick new branches of growth off larger branches that isn't very long and hasn't flowered yet, and I pinch off the very tip where a flower would grow to force the plant to put it's energy into roots and new branches.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9141040

Thanks - will give it a shot. It's just to hot and humid to do anything here. It was 91 today and humidity was a million!
Kathy
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

May 27, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9141169

It was 95 here in Iowa today, where did spring go?
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9142542

It's been hot her too. High 80s low 90s and that's awful, this early. Humidity is awful here. 5 minutes outside and you feel sticky wet...yuck

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plant Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
have colts foot and a goldenseal bloomingidiot 5 May 29, 2009 7:56 PM
Crocosmia Zanymuse 17 Oct 25, 2007 1:37 AM
CLOSED: Yucca? Melissa_Ohio 8 Apr 6, 2008 3:43 PM
hardy glad bulbs and small yucca plants catbirdsue 8 Apr 5, 2008 11:40 PM
Wanted : Tri color Strawberry Begonia,Blue Sky Flower MsCritterkeeper 18 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America