Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Black beans and heat

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9135249

I'm growing Black Valentine, these are not doing as well as other bush type beans I have growing.
I tried doing a search for 'heat resistant' black beans. However, I'm getting more search results for high desert cultivars, my humidity is much higher. As in regards to growing, am I to be treating the black beans differently from snap beans?

Anyone have any recommendations for a heat, humidity loving black bean? Preferably OP

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9136312

I had great luck with Mitla Black. We get the heat and humidity here, it shrugged it all off.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9136349

I've found that the actual bean temperature tolerances are usually different from those commonly quoted. I am certain that a lot depends on other environmental factors as well. For example, here I am growing a crop of thriving Windsor beans (Fava, Broad) which are happily producing pods in the hot (85f) weather we've had this spring. Now, everyone will tell you (and I would have also) that Favas are a cool-weather crop, but this year mine only produced flowers and didn't produce any pods until the weather hit 80f.

I always plant a variety of beans. It seems that each year some thrive and others don't. This year the peas and favas are producing a huge harvest but the bush beans seem to be struggling. Last year the bush beans grew like a tall hedge and the peas were only mediocre.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9136430

Nicole, thank you. There is a good review for Mitla from Houston, they have humidity much higher then my area. Do you find it to be semi-vining, as well?

Steve, That is a good observation. This year has been an odd spring, not complaining, it has been rather enjoyable. Since I haven't grown these before, my first thought is , "what did I do wrong". lol

Your pea and fava crop sounds wonderful, enjoy!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9136622

Mine were pretty much vining and little to no "bush" to them. They weren't huge vines, but were very productive.

Tepary beans like the ground warmer than snap beans before going it. Also, they like dry conditions, so don't water them or they will produce all leaves and no beans. Other than that... I mostly ignore them and they manage fine without me helicopter gardening.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9136663

Nicole, I'm so excited you suggested these. After some internet searches, I'm convinced, I need to try these :0)
I hope you don't mind a few more questions. I appreciate your input.

How much heat are we talking here? I have another month before triple digits set in. Could these be planted late, as say, a southern pea?
Do you let them dry on the vine to harvest?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9136830

This variety is from Oaxaca, Mexico and it's pretty darn hot down there. This bean likes a soil temp of about 80F to germinate and can take a bit either way. I think you'd be safe planting now and even into June. It matures faster than most dried peas (60-90 days). Last year I direct seeded on 4/26 when the soil temp hit 70F for good, and harvested on the vine fully dried 7/30. I suspect they'd come in faster if the soil is warmer when you plant them.

Hope this helps and the bean works out good for you!

Oh... and it's a tasty little bean if you like black beans. I like it in beans and rice cuban style or with quinoa and corn.

If you have trouble finding it I'll send you some seeds. I got mine from Seeds of Change originally.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9136890

Wonder info. We love southwestern foods and black beans in general. The flavor had a few people raving on the internet. So, I'm looking forward to them.

Sending you a D-mail, hope to have something of interest for you :0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America