Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Agastaches and Salvias: Variegated autumn sage

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 5, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9135295

Just received this one a few weeks ago and it's already showing off

Thumbnail by bigred
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

May 25, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9137682

That looks like S. greggii Desert Blaze, which is a patented form.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9138098

Tag just says Variegated Autumn sage
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

May 28, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9141534

Well, Desert Blaze is protected by a Plant Patent, and either the provider did not know that, having bought it from someone else with that name, or gave it a different name.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

June 25, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9179640

There is a variegated salvia greggii that is a hybrid of S. microphylla and S. greggii red...and from experience of growing it, believe that this hybrid also has jamensis in it's heritage. The hybridizer denies the parentage of jamensis, but has confirmed the microphylla.

The Autumn Blaze developer reports that the Autumn Blaze is from a sport of a red-blooming salvia greggii.

I have found that the two plants are often confused in the market today by both purchasers and sellers alike...and a great deal of mismarking or absense of plant tags is common.

I have found the variegated jamensis hybrid to be unstable in the variegation and a much less hardy plant than Autumn Blaze. The S. microphylla x greggii demands shade, more moisture, and basically is a high-maintenance prima donna in the test garden in TX...

Autumn Blaze has proven to exhibit consistent variegation, long-blooming period (9 months to date this year), and all of the hardiness we have come to expect in a greggii. The over-all shape of the plant is mounded and it does not seem to 'cover' itself in blooms as other greggii exhibit, but it presents a consistent bloom over a much longer period and begins before most other greggii.

I hope this helps...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9182985

we're hitting triple digits now but I have my plant in a shaded greenhouse so only time will tell

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America