Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Pepper Virus Tracking

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 2, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9135560

After years of growing peppers (more than I will admit to), I have resolved to begin recording the observed virus resistance of the various varieties of peppers that I grow in my DG journal. Identifying the particular virus is not necessary since what is there is there and a variety that is not affected by something that is affecting another variety can be deemed to be resistant or tolerant.This should be a real advantage when choosing future varieties to grow as long as I maintain the necessary discipline in record keeping. Is anyone else doing this? The experience of other DG'ers might be the beginning of a useful database for everyone who grows peppers.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9136151

That makes sense. Beginning about 10-12 years ago, I've thought I had PMMV in my garden soil. Maybe some other virus, I don't know, but many varieties of peppers I tried to grow developed limp, dropping leaves, poor fruit set, and produced few and deformed peppers, often with soft spots. Whatever it was, it especially affected bell peppers and made them impossible for me to grow.

At that time I took critterologist's advice and switched to growing non-bell sweet peppers as well as some mild hot peppers with great results. Gypsy and Carmen are not at all affected by the virus and they've produced bumper crops for me every year. Sweet Spot, Bounty, Mariachi, and Ajo Dulce II seem to be immune also, but Poblano and Cubanelle were so susceptible the virus killed the plants.

10 or 12 years ago, ALL varieties of bell peppers I tried to grow were damaged, badly, by this virus. I didn't grow bells or any other susceptible variety for 7 or 8 years, and I think maybe I've outwaited the virus and my soil is OK again - maybe. I didn't plant any bell peppers this year, but last year I grew several Big Red plants and had good production and no problem.

I hope this information helps.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9136630

Thanx for the input, Ozark.I have a bell-type that I overwintered and it's going gangbusters. The only problem is that I cannot say with certainty what it is. I have a copy of last year's order from TGS and that narrows it down to 1 of 4 possibles. But my niece and son were helping with the transplanting of seedlings into EB's and they weren't labeled in a timely manner.So it's either a Gator Belle, Cajun Belle, Brigadier, or Camelot Hybrid.Since they don't have the same resistances, it's pure guesswork now. Anybody seen a 4-sided coin?

This message was edited May 24, 2012 11:01 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America