Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: building bird next in bird feeder

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 14, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9135615

We have some sparrows building a birdnest all around the bird feeder in the back. We put a cage around the feeder to keep the larger bird from eating all the food up. Now we have some sparrows building a nest around the feeder. We have took it down at least 4 times because it is out in the open and it just not seem to be a good place to build the nest and the other birds will not go near the feeder now. Should I just leave it up and try to put some shelter over the feeder some how. Any advice on this

Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9135618

picture of the bird feeder

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9136520

What type of sparrow? If it is House, you are free to take this down or remove the nest as they are not a native bird. But if it is a native bird the Migratory Bird Treaty Act required you to leave their nests alone even in an inconvenient spot. If it is a native bird and you are able to put a baffling or something to protect it, give it a try.

Based on how messy this is I suspect a house sparrow, but I am not real familiar with nests. We're just learning a lot about this. Have you seen the birds while they are working on this? Maybe get a picture if you can and post it.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9136584

Ok chillybean will try to get a picture of it. I think it is usless to take it down anyway because we have took it down four times and it just builds it back.

Sami

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9136611

I hope you're able to. What a quandary. You put up a cage for one issue, then get another. I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with something, if it is determined to be a House Sparrow. They are persistent, as you can see. About all I can think of, if it is house sparrow, and the bigger birds moved on, take off one or more sides of the cage. Then if the big birds come back, you wouldn't have to replace the whole thing.

That is an interesting cage. Is it made for the purpose of keeping larger birds out? Or is it something you made? It looks like it would keep squirrels out. We have platform feeders, so the bigger birds go there and we have other feeders for the smaller birds, but the little ones also go to the platform, too. Right now squirrels are not an issue, but we have growing trees that will one day be big enough for squirrels to move in.

Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9137364

The cage was a crate I ordered from Wal Mart to keep the larger birds out. I just cant figure out why after 8 years here why they would build the nest inside of the cage. They have never done that before. I have not been able to get a picture of the birds building the nest yet. They fly off when I get near. They usually build their nest om the rafters on the back porch. Its just a puzzle. to me. Think I will just leave the nest and see what happens.

Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9137871

I finally identified the bird. It is a house sparrow. The problem with leaving the nest there is that now the other birds can't eat the seed. I have new birds at the feeder. They are Thrushes. I am not sure which on it is but now that the nest is built on the feeder I am afraid I will lose the other birds that come to eat at the feeder. Here is a pic of the Thrush
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9137872

Oops forgot the pic

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9137876

The underside of the thush is speckled and top side is rusty brown. Whn he eats his head bobs up and down. He is eating the seeds that drop from the bird feeder where the house sparrow is building the nest. But now no bird will go near the feeder to eat.

Sami

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9137979

That sounds and looks like a Brown Thrasher. Are you willing to take off the cage? Brown Thrashers are a great yard bird, in my opinion. We have a mating pair in our yard that have had nothing but the fits from the Grackles who have booted the Thrashers out of every tree they've tried to nest in. They've now moved on to the brush pile and all we can do is hope for the best since it was only started this spring and it doesn't offer much protection yet.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9138852

That`s quite a puzzle that a bird will make a nest there. I made a cage like yours, a few year ago, Sami. I really like it for the small birds. I find it`s kinda bulky, but at least the Starling and Grackles don`t have access to it. Chilli, we have the Red squirrel here they are quite small, and they do enter the cage, but it does stop the Grey Squirrel. I have put a bottom to the cage since, and have put strong wire to ties it all together.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9139025

chillybean I was thinking about doing that. At least the brown thrasher will be able to eat. I will try that today and see what happens.

Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9139218

Removed cage from bird feeder and put the cage in a tree with a gourd birdhouse inside it hoping they will try and build there LOL

Thumbnail by Sami   Thumbnail by Sami
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9139408

Sami, what a neat idea :) If the house sparrows don't nest in it, I wonder if a wren would.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9139760

I hope something will build a nest in it. We will just have to wait and see

Sami

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America