AuthorContent

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9135636

I took photos today of all the plants I have in S-H and will post the pictures here. 1. Uncarina roeoesliana 2. Euphorbia milii (White) 3. Adenium obesum (Red). The stem of the Uncarina is about 1/2 inch in diameter and over 12 inches tall. All these plants are doing very well and the Adenium is budded now. The Euphorbia milii does great in S-H and is growing about 18 inches tall and budded again since blooming for several months this spring.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9135659

4. Adenium obesum (Dark Red) 5. Adenium 'Crimson Star' 6. Euphorbia bupleurifolia. #4 Adenium is new and small at about 6" and the Adenium 'Crimson Star' has been in S-H for quite awhile. I was not careful when I watered and water sat on the stem and rotted some of it last summer. I noticed and applied cinnamon to it and dried it out and it is fine now and is setting buds. #6 loves the S-H and is growing great at this time of year. I had one of these Euphorbias before in soil and it rotted and died so I am happy.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9135672

7. Cephalopentandra ecirrhosa 8. Tephrocactus alexanderi v. geometricus 9. Euphorbia viguieri ankarafantsiensis 10. Ceraria pygmeae (Seedling)
#7 loves S-H too and is about 6" tall with lots of leaves. #8 loves S-H too and is about 3 inches tall. It is not as fat as I believe it should be. Maybe that is due to receiving only morning sun. I'm afraid I will burn it if I move it now. #9 is about 10 inches tall and grows great in S-H. It loses leaves in winter as does the Cephalopentandra. They get very little water then. #10 is Ceraria pygmaea (Seedling). It is going to town also and has cute little tiny flowers on the ends of some stems now. The seed pods are reddish and bigger when they come along later.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9135689

#11. Adenium obesum 'Super Platinum' #12. Pachypodium lamerei #13. Pachypodium geayi
#11 New Adenium that I got on Ebay 6 weeks ago is doing very well. It had one leaf to begin with. #12 & #13 love the S-H and grow like weeds in it. #12 is about 14" tall and developed the side shoot when in S-H. #13 is about 18" tall and growing fast.

These are my S-H plants currently except I have 3 orchids under lights that love the S-H too. Of course I feed them each time I water. Plant #11 is in a new type pot I ordered a few months ago from Interior Water Gardens and love it. (The orchids are in this type po,t too) There is an inner pot with the S-H medium and the white outer pot. The inner pot has a measure on the side that tells you when to water. How can you go wrong!! Perfect. I want to change all my S-H plants to the new pots when my budget allows.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9135707

I also wanted to add that I read an article on hydroculture on the Internet and in addition to Euphorbia milii, the author recommended Sago palm and Cephalocereus senilis (Old Man Cactus). I plan to try them too since they do well here in Phoenix.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 26, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9139434

Thank you for the tour, Nancy. You have quite a few plants growing in s/h. The new pot looks like a winner. Have you had any bug problems in this media?

I'm guessing the Pachys are growing without much direct sun. True? It's interesting to see how those plants look different depending on the exposure. Mine make smaller, tighter, almost constricted looking leaves growing in day-long sun, without spreading or arching like the more relaxed ones in your photos.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9139467

No, I have not had any bug problems with the medium at all. The Uncarina gets attacked by white fly in later summer and that's it. You are correct, my Pachys are not in the sun. They are on the south patio in bright shade. When the sun starts to get lower in the late summer/early fall, I move them way back to stay out of the sun. If I let them have much sun the leaves would just fry here combined with the hot temps.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America