Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: Stranger in my garden.

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9135810

This evening I discovered a stranger in my garden.

This bird was busily feeding. I was able to get a couple pictures but not really clear ones. I am guessing this is a fledgling robin. What do you think?

Thumbnail by gessieviolet   Thumbnail by gessieviolet   Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9136507

The bill is wrong for Robin and they have a lot more streaks on their breast. My guess would be an Eastern Towhee, male, but this is looking at pictures I found in a search. I cannot see enough of the breast on your pictures to be sure. Was there white going down the center?
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9136557

Was there white going down the center?

I did not notice. Think it is still around, will try to observe better today.

Am not familiar with the name "eastern towhee", let alone the bird. Do we have them in SC?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9136615

Yes, they are in South Carolina. I checked the range map before answering your question.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Towhee/id

That is a neat bird to have. We've only seen them once while on a birding club trip, they have yet to be seen in our yard.
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9136781

I hope I can photo it more clearly.

The photos of the towhee show a bird that is much more brilliant than mine.

I hope you are correct, would be neat to provide a habitat that encourages such a beauty.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 2:02 PM

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9136827

Ah, I didn't mention that it looks like a juvenile. You mentioned fledgling in your original post and I had that in my head, but didn't type it. If you scroll down a little on the link I gave you, there is a picture of a immature, male Eastern Towhee. Yours looks older than a fledgling, but it is still young. Sorry about that.

I hope someone confirms this because I feel so uncertain with my ID skills, especially if they are not those who frequent our yard very often. Most often I can tell the Meadowlarks apart by song and if I can get a good look at certain field markings, but get me out of my "comfort zone" and I just fall to pieces.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9136999

Ditto to Eastern Towhee, juvenile.

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America