Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: The best of the Asian cucumbers?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 229
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9135903

The best selection of seed for the Japanese Cucumbers I was about to find was at the Kitazawa Seed Co. Still there are so many I have no idea which ones to try.

I have never tried any of the asian cucumbers. I have my usual Burpless planted and those are nice. I am not overly fond of the more common cucumbers like Marketmore although I will eat them if I have nothing else. So I figgured I should try the asian ones. That is if I figgure out what to order.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9138059

Well, I did order CHINA LONG cucumbers but still might try some of the others.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9138259

Posted cuke info on your long bean thread. Im wondering why you have such an interest in Asian veggies? I grow many and the reason is they do great here. No disease/pest issues and the yeilds are fantasic no matter how hot it gets. I know you have me beat on the humidity. Cental Park and 5th Ave. are not the best places to be in the summer.lol

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9138292

Ok, I will go yak about the cucumbers on the Long Bean Thread LOL! I have been growing the usual veggies for years but cut back for the past few years due to getting new flower beds and arreas done. This year I decided to really get back into the veggies and not just the tomatoes (although I have plenty of those planted). I haven't have pole beans for years, stumbled upon some information and found seeds at Baker Creek. Was looking around at Baker Creek and saw that there were things called chinese or asian cucumbers. I had never known about them before. So wanting to try them too, not just new beans to me but new something else. The usual cucumbers and pole beans are growing here also.

It is really hot and humid on Long Island in the summer of July and August. I started by looking for salad type greens that would do well in hot weather, found the srtuff at Baker Creek and saw all the other types of seeds they had and got interested. Besides I just feel like trying something new this year. :-))
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9138342

yes, thats usually how it starts... lol dmail me if your looking for something. It doesnt sound like you need too many seeds I might have something your interested in, never know. How about Thai Basil?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9139565

I just ordered Suyo Long and Palace King oriental cucumber seeds from Burpee. I should have cucumbers like crazy this summer. And speaking of asian seeds, I bought Zen Oriental Greens. I never heard of them before but they got glowing customer reviews at Burpee.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9143807

My veggie seeds came that I ordered Thursday and that they shipped Friday. The mail comes so late lately, after five that I almost missed that they were here! Lots of things, like the peas and brocoli raab I will be saving for a Fall crop. But I have two types of cucumbers to start seeds, China Long and Armenian. Only a very few seeds to those packages (peas have lots) so I better not mess it up. I will just put them in some cell packs with potting mix, this way I can keep them warm for germination. Not that warm would be a problem today, it is hot and muggy!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9163998

It was raining all afternoon so really couldn't do much outside. But there were some times during the day that the rain was nothing but a super fine mist. So I put my gardening hat that I usually wear in the sun on to keep my head dry and I planted all my cucumber seedlings that I have started myself from seed. As soon as I planted them I immediately went and put sluggo around them so that I would not forget. Otherwise the slugs would eat them up overnight. I planted CHINA LONG, PALACE KING and ARMENON MELON cucumbers. I am extra pleased with them because I started them from seed myself.

They join the Burpless, Straight Eight, Marketmore and Salad Bush cucumbers already planted here which I bought as seedlings. I honestly don't know what I think I need all these cucumbers for!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9166689

I am so glad that the sluggo works and that my baby cucumber seedlings have not been munched on by slugs and snails.

lusciousleaves
West of Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9195868

Newyorkrita, have you thought of getting into juicing? Cucumber juice is supposed to do wonders for your complexion. It's used frequently to add liquid and flavor to other veggie juices. They're more nutritious than we've traditionally given them credit for. Finding this out once I got into juicing, it gave me extra incentive to plant more than pickling cukes this year.

I'd love to hear how your asian cukes are coming along. Several years back, I planted some asian veggies and was highly impressed with their performance. They simply outperformed every American seed in my garden. I'm sold, and plan to get into more of them this fall.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9195901

Since I grew all the asian cukes from seed (as well as the Armenian) the plants are not as big as the cucumber plants I bought as seedlings from the nursery. Those I am already picking cucumbers from. But my own home grown from seed are growing well. The China Long have plenty of blooms already, the others not yet. I will be updating as I get fruit and try it.

Juicing would not interest me, sorry. I want to actually eat my veggies, not drink them. Although I do drink V8 sometimes.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9217258

I just went outside and really quick cut back and pulled up my Armenian Cucumber vines. No fruit set yet and there were not many of this type so it was easy. I noticed a few days ago a leaf on them with mildew. Today noticed more leaves with the mildew spots and very noticable. So out they came. I don't want to deal with mildew and I don't want my other cukes to come down with it.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9221072

Those are actually a melon so they may not share the same diseases as regular cukes, and they may take longer to mature.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9221415

I will try them again next year as I have plenty of seeds left. I will just make sure I plant them were they don't tounch anything else, just in case they come down with mildew again. If it only spread to other melons instead of cukes, that still would not do up there in the cucumber patch as there are cantalope vines growing there also.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9227209

I just can not get over how UGLY those China Long cucumbers are. I picked my first one and tasted it. I didn't see any reason to get excited. Tasted just like any other cukes I eat from my garden and they are just too, too ugly. I don't like the extra spineyness and the wrinkled ridges. Honestly, It doesn't look anything like the picture on the seed package which looks a lot smoothr skinned.

I do like the Palace Kings, which I have had a chance to eat some and they taste REALLY great to me and look like I expect a cucumber to look. No wrinkly skins. Maybe it is all in my head about the othrs as I can not get over the uglies!!!! Ugly, ugly!! :-((

But I can say for sure that the China Longs will NOT be back next year!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9227357

Howdy, Rita.

Further up in your posts you mentioned planting "Suyo Long" cucumber. Are those the "China Long" you are referring to? Often times 'China Long' will refer to the Oriental cukes and not a particular variety but perhaps they now do.

Suyo Long is a nice tasting cuke, and has those "ugly spines" too but they are easily rubbed off with your hand, making for a smoother skin. I certainly wouldn't eat the cuke with those spines on them either. Yuck ~ :>)

You're sure having fun in your garden this year! Congrats~!

Shoe

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9227370

I never planted the Suyo Long seeds that I bought. Just planted the China Long and the Palace King seeds and that is what I am growing. China Long is a variety. But I do have other regular type cukes but those two are the asian cukes. No, I will not be planting those horribly ugly China Long Cucumbers again. Instead I will be looking for other varieties of asian cukes to try that don't have this bumpy, spiny, wrinkled look.

I just can't get over how they look!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9227385

Heheheh, yeh, they're not "normal", are they! *grin

I liked Suyo long though, very nice thin skins and pretty tasty... matter of fact I have one ready for picking tonight.

Shoe

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9229490

I picked so many of those chinese cucumbers today but I didn't get any pictures as I was giving them away and wasn't about to make people stand around and wait while I took pictures.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9250020

Some China Long Cucumbers I picked today.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9272245

We grow Soyu cukes. I think they are very beautiful if we are judging cucumbers on the Ms America standard scale. Firstly, they interview well. They are burpless. They germinate early in the season, stay politely within their designated fence line and grow confidently in the face of all weather. They are ethnically diverse.

They have talent as well. They can be used in salads, stuffed with anything from chicken salad to tuna to lobster, make wonderful Asian style pickles or even traditional dill slicers and are a great add to Indian or Israeli salads that are more like Mexican salsas but with cucumbers.

They look great dressed or undressed. 'nuf said. This should cover formal wear. They are wonderful topped with all sorts of stuff.

The judges might ask a Soyu something like, "How would you solve the world food shortage?" They would demur and respond that as a low calorie warty veg, considered ugly by some, they could only aspire to help by providing a healthy food option, being many times larger than other cukes, able to be consumed with indemnity and appreciated for being so "cuke".

I am saving tons of seed and have a separate planting just for that purpose. Hope you appreciate this was meant to be tongue in check. :)

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9273270

But can they sing an aria while juggling flaming batons and rinding a unicycle? =~))

They would espouse with whirled peas, though, I'm sure.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9528546

This year I had seeds for the Suyo Long which were left over from last year and I never even got around to starting. So I am trying Suyo Long for my Asian cucumber selection this year. In fact I already seeded it and some seeds are sprouting already.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9528822

Terri, I missed your post. In response...Soyu Longs have nothing to do with arias. They are prolific while an aria is solo. Ditto the flaming batons and unicycles which are usually solo acts. Maybe the Asian versions have mastered special team skills and fit your perception. IMO they better espouse world peas.

Several Soyus from my garden posted above were harvested and their seed stored. The rest were left. I was about to start seed until I discovered seed volunteering.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2013
11:14 PM

Post #9594845

Just wanted to chime in that I grow Satsuki Madori. They are delish, never bitter, thin skinned and small seeded. I think they'd be classified as burpless. They don't sing arias but do play the zither at night when all are tucked in bed sleeping. I think that's why I sleep so well, now that I think of it... :) Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9595651

Looks mighty tasty.

My Suyo Long cukes have started to produce as I have picked two cucumbers off them so far.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America