Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: Information on plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9136052

I saw a beautiful plant today. It looked like a bush. There was no information on it. The seller [Lowes] knew nothing about it. The name was "Alstroemeria" I didn't buy it because I needed to know more about it. Can anyone give me any info? It was white.
Thanks-Lynda
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9136062

There is a plant called Alstroemeria, but it's not a bush. There are a number of different cultivars, some of which do have white flowers. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=alstroemeria&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9136071

It's a spring and summer blooming flower that grows from bulbs. It's hardy in zones 8-11, but beautiful in containers in colder zones. Keep soil moist, but provide good drainage. Commonly called Peruvian Lily, the bulbs can be lifted and stored in a moist medium over the winter. Replant after frost date in a sunny area. Protect from late afternoon sun during hot weather. Peruvian lilies are nice in floral arrangements, too.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9136094

Some Alstroemeria are hardy to z5b/6a - depends on the cultivar.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Alstroemeria/products/45/
PatrickMcNally
Hoolehua, HI
(Zone 14)

December 28, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9369559

Here a picture of what I believe is an alstroemeria. http://patrickmcnally.zenfolio.com/hawaii-maui-12#h16d5c373 This plant was growing out of doors in an upland area of Maui in Hawaii. Is it true that there is no bush form of this plant? A bush with flowers this spectacular would be truely remarkable. Thanks,

Patrick McNally of Molokai
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9369722

Yes, that's an Alstroemeria, and no there's no bush form. There are some varieties that are taller than others but no bushes.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9369760

Actually, there is an Alstroemeria hybrid that is called Alstroemeria bush...they grow 3 to 5 feet tall according to USDA. Seems there are a variety of colors available and a web search brings up lists of Patent numbers for them...they have names like 'Stayeli' and 'Staloren'

http://openagricola.nal.usda.gov/Record/IND91039185
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9369773

I imagine the OP meant the plant had a bushy form, rather than that it was a bush, i.e. having woody stems. I assume the Alstroemeria hybrids you refer to, themoonhowl, also have full, leafy form ("bush-like"), rather than woody stems?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9369793

I am sure that is the case, Alta, but the plant is being sold under the name "Alstroemeria Bush" and that is the accepted patent name. I think it all has to do with the size of the plant which according to the patent info, gets 3 to 5 feet tall...rather than having woody stems. I know there are A ligtu hybrids that get huge, and from what I can see, all the patents are dated from 1987 through 1991...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9369836

There don't seem to be too many pics of those cultivars out there--here's the only one I found. http://www.kandgflowers.com/products/index/page/24/cat/P Looks like each stem can have multiple flowers on the end (vs one flower per stem) but I wouldn't call it a bush--I think when they talk about the branching they just mean how you can get more than one flower per stem but it would still be an herbaceous plant not woody.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9369848

Agreed...not a woody stemmed plant, the name refers to size and shape of the overall plant. Seems more appropriate to call it a "bushy form" Alstroemeria.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9369862

I bet Lowes received a batch of mis-labelled plants. I'm sure some of you have walked into a box store and said to yourself, "What!" to a completely mislabelled plant ie. a conifer labelled annual or something. Then again, the Alstroemerias I photographed in Seattle last year were all almost 4'. I'd imagine in a wide patio planter with several plants they'd look like a bush.

Lynda_45, if you have a moment, grab a picture of the plant with your cell phone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America