Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: To Peel or not to Peel, Tomatoes for Sauce?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 21, Views: 436
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9136792

I see lots of recipes that suggest peeling and seeding tomatoes before making sauce. I'm thinking of doing some roasted tomato sauce, and I'm wondering about peeling the tomatoes.

I have an immersion blender that I've used in the past when making jam. How much effect on the flavor would you expect, either positive or negative, if I roasted tomatoes with their skins and seeds (quartering and coring out any green stem) then blended with the immersion blender?

The other option I have is to cook the tomatoes, then run through my hand-cranked food mill. The food mill is more work than the blender, but less work than scalding and peeling the tomatoes by hand.

Thoughts? Opinions?

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9136854

I would give it a whirl (pun intended) -- the commercial 'fire-roasted tomato sauce' has bits of blackened skin in it, and I love the smokey flavor. Let us know how it turns out.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9146375

I've done both and my new way is to cut the maters in half (I use my normal tomatoes since I don't grow paste) seed, drizzle with evoo and roast doesn't take much at all to mill them and I like the taste better when roasted with the skin.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9146478

I'm quartering and roasting in the skin. I have decided that I will use my food mill to separate most of the skins out and a good bit of the seeds. I decided against blending all the skins and seeds into the sauce. I figure that blending everything increases the risk that the sauce will be bitter.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9168645

dreaves wrote:I'm quartering and roasting in the skin. I have decided that I will use my food mill to separate most of the skins out and a good bit of the seeds. I decided against blending all the skins and seeds into the sauce. I figure that blending everything increases the risk that the sauce will be bitter.

How did the roasted tomatoes turn out?

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9170938

I've been happy with the roasted sauce, processed with a food mill. I've canned about 4 dozen pints. Roasting the sauce slowly allowed it to thicken nicely. The food mill gave me a coarse, delicious sauce.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9171177

Great! The sauce sure will taste good this winter while at the same time save on the food bill.

I bet you are glad you removed the skins from the sauce. It just doesn't seem right to me to leave them on.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9182378

Here is how I scald mine. I place the ripe tomatoes in a big stainless steel bowl in the sink. Heat my big tea kettle to the whistling stage. Then, pour over the tomatoes. Let them roll around a minute or two...actually, you can see the skins start to fall away. The remove them to the other sink with a slotted spoon. Cool a bit. Now, the skins just practically fall off. The riper the easier the skin loosens, so you need to kind of watch them in the hot water.
To dejuice, cut out the stem end and squeeze the juice out into a bowl. Use the juice in soups and stews or make juice. It's all good.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9189154

I've done roasted sauce with seeds & skins, immersion blender to grind away as well as properly skinned & deseeded. The flavor is definitely better with the latter method but when pressed for time, skins & seeds in my own roasted sauce beats anything I can buy at the grocery. :-)

Tam
ilovetigger
Belleville, MI

July 6, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9195961

ME...I love my "Squeeze-o-matic" as I call it. It is actually a Victorio. I just quarter and run the tomatoes through it.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9196715

Oh, yes...Those are wonderful I have heard. You never see Squeeze o matics on sale. Wonder if they still make them?

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9196793

I broke the hand-cranked Presto processor. Since I had to buy something, I decided to get the grinder/seeder for our Kitchenaid mixer. It worked nicely, but left the sauce a bit finer than the previous food mill.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9240114

this thread is just was I was looking for. A friend said to leave the peels on but when I got to the cooking part they didn't look good, and were tough when I tasted it. I ended up running all the salsa through the chopper. I prefer chunky but now the skins aren't visible and it tastes just fine. We go through a big jar of salsa nearly every week with having teen boys in the house. I may go looking for more tomatoes, this was kind of fun and it is sure to be easier following all of your suggestions. Thanks!
cakesjean
Bad Zwischenahn
Germany

September 4, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9264670

I made tomato jam this year and processed the unpeeled tomatoes before cooking. The peel tends to get tough when cooked, and then does not chop up finely enough.

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9551373

dreaves wrote:I've been happy with the roasted sauce, processed with a food mill. I've canned about 4 dozen pints. Roasting the sauce slowly allowed it to thicken nicely. The food mill gave me a coarse, delicious sauce.

Here is ours, we've been doing it for years...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308029/

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 7, 2014
8:08 PM

Post #9784395

Just found this...I made roasted sauce and just cut the stem out and then cut the tomatoes in chunks/slabs...whatever you want to call them. (I'm lazy...didn't want to skin them). Sliced some onions, green peppers, put in garlic if I had it, some sliced celery (a good place to use the leafy tops too), dribbled on some EVOO, oregano and basil. I used a half-sheet pan (12x18)-took 5-6 hours in the oven. I ran it through my food mill when it was done. I put it in bags and froze it.

Since I made it last year I bought a VitaMix and might try a batch in there instead of the food mill when it's done "roasting". We'll see.

Sorry, the first photo is the "after" one. LOL

Thumbnail by Anna_Z   Thumbnail by Anna_Z         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2014
11:58 AM

Post #9788126

I have done this: Freeze the tomatoes whole. Thaw them and the skin comes right off. Proceed however you desire.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2014
12:17 PM

Post #9788141

I have had the skins roll up into little spikes in sauce when I didn't get all the skin off.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2014
2:00 PM

Post #9788238

YankeeCat, if you run your tomatoes through a food mill, or the automatic juice separator on a Kitchen-aide mixer it will get almost every bit of the skin. I think roasting with the skins adds to the flavor.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2014
2:01 PM

Post #9788239

Oh, dotcha just HATE that??? LOL I do. And I don't have freezer space for all those whole tomatoes. Easier for me to just hack them up and put through a food mill at the end.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2014
8:44 AM

Post #9879812

Ilovetigger, is this the one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP250-Strainer-Sauce-Maker/dp/B001I7FP54

Here's the manufacturer's website...
http://www.victorio.info/index.html

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2014
5:03 PM

Post #9884880

I like them both ways, dependin'. I've got a food mill attachment on my KithchenAid that seeds and skins. Really excellent when I'm into being a purist but the sauce lacks the rustic garbage I like in some/many dishes. The first year I had the food mill I milled most of my tomatoes and slow roasted or crocked (will explain later) the rest. At the end of the day I was always going for the tomatoes with the seeds and skins. To me, they tasted more like tomatoes from the garden and less like jarred sauce from the grocery store.

So about the crocking thing...I put chunked up tomatoes into a very large oval crockpot, with the top off, and reduce and reduce. Maybe take a few days and more additions. Then can the thickened result.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America