Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Central Midwest Gardening: What are your favorite flowers?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardenblue2
Overland Park, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9137471

Hi! I'm new to Dave's Garden.
I garden in the Kansas City area.

What are your favorite flowers?
Mine are probably whatever is in bloom when I am asked, LOL!
However, I would have to say zinnias, coneflowers, and marigolds are favorites of mine.
Oldies but goodies!

I am really going through an annual phase right now.
I have perennials, and appreciate when they come back each year, but I also enjoy changing it up
and planting different annuals and having lots of color to play with!
Like painting with flowers...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9138901

Hi neighbor, welcome,
hmmm.. my favorite flower would probably be the Prickly-Pear flower. It is such a short-lived but solid color flower depending on which one you have. I had the regular one a few years ago and it bloomed this really nice yellow. There is just something cool about a cactus in flower! The Prickly-Pear that I have now is too small to flower I think. It grows every year since 2007 or so when I put it in this little Hawaiian Punch jug bottom, I am afraid to put it in a bigger pot, I think I'm going to get stuck and I don't want to ruin a pair of gloves either! I always wanted to see my Cholla flower purple also but it has never flowered, I'm still waiting.
The pic is my big, old Prickly-Pear from yesteryear.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9140945

My favorites are coneflowers, roses, coreoptis, zinnas, salvia and daisies. I like anything that is easy to grow. lol.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9153297

Hello from St. Louis!! I enjoy plants that are somewhat unusal. Right now I am enjoying tending to my 3 rose trees. (I also have 2 rose bushes that I got a late start with.) I also found a Tibouchina at a local nursery, it has been really fun. My pride and joy is my Meyer Lemon Tree that was my Mother's Day gift this year. I also have a key lime tree. :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9153891

I've always been partial the daisies ,wildflowers most,and daylillies!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9158297

Hi everyone. I like the unusal as well and love tropicals. I have elephant ears, plumerias, gingers, all kinds of tropical stuff, but in the garden gosh that is hard, kind of like you Gardenblue, what ever is blooming, but I do love hostas also, not so much their blooms tho. Love iris in the spring and live up by the iris farm north of kansas city, bad combination...rofl. There is also a guy who sells daylilies in Lawson which is north of Kansas City.

Maybe you can post some pics of blooms you love.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America