Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Back at Home - Need Lily ID

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9137722

First of all, finally back at home. Five days short of six months on the boat, 2,913 miles. Had a terrific time.

My garden looks pretty good considering it's been neglected. Lots of weeds, but with a mild winter, everything looks pretty good. A lacecap which was underwater for a while with Irene had hardly any leaves when we arrived, but now is getting new ones.

I took the behind the scenes garden tour, led by the curator, at Tryon Palace this week. Took my camera but failed to bring a notepad. There was so much I wanted to note! This lily is growing outside the fence at the charming garden behind the waystation, which used to be the ticket office. She said it was heirloom, but that's all I recall. Also the greenhouse manager mentioned a green spray for caterpillars. Any thoughts? I may have to call him to get the info.

It's nice to be back! Barbie, had planned to contact you as we got close to Carolina Beach, but we shot right by, made Wrightsville just at dark, and were off early the next morning.

Sorry I missed the roundup. Sounds like it was terrific!

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9137724

PS - the plant tag doesn't describe the lily.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9138061

PS again - the green spray is not for allover use - they had rosemary with a similar problem to mine - he said it was caterpillar based and to use this spray after an insectisidal soap. The soap hasn't worked, so I'm looking for something else.

Entlie
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9138990

It's a gloriosa lily. Gorgeous, aren't they?
Don't know about the spray
I'm glad you had a great trip. It would have been great to see you, but I understand.
I missed the roundup also. One of these days I'll actually make one of them!!!
Barb
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9139010

Thanks, Barbie. Do the deer eat them?
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9140321

I don't know. I hope not!
Barb
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9140359

Entlie,
Welcome back! That is a great looking lily. I intended on going to Tryon but life intervened and I got caught up. I did however make it out to the round up, what a great bunch of folks. The location was great too, that is one big Farmer's market. Maybe we should do a coastal round up sometime. What say you both?

Mike
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9140519

I would love to. I'm still upset I missed the Round up. If it's closer, I won't be restrained by others schedules, which was the problem last weekend.
Barb

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9140642

i think he was either referring to Bt or Spinosad, both are organic "green" sprays that work very well on caterpillars. they ingest and then die.
your GL is gorgeous!
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9140673

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't these types of spray's affect the beneficial catapillars as well?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9140736

both of these sprays do kill all caterpillars. you don't want to spray it over a butterfly garden or on a host plant. only use it for a specific plant to get rid of unwanted pests. i use it on my Cannas for the Canna Leaf Roller.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9140909

Thanks for the advice. I only want to spray my rosemary and let the other caterpillars lead happy productive lilves.
Mike, a coastal roundup sounds fun. There are several of us around here.
Entlie

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9140949

:-)
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9151708

Coastal round up does sound like fun as long as its not in Winter
Ed says snow everytime I mention New Bern. LOL

Lavina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America