Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: What verity of hosta will thrive in shade and partial sun?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9137828

I'm wondering if there is a verity of hosta that will do well in both shade and partial sun? I wonder because I have a long flower bed that runs across the front of my house and half is shaded by a large oak tree, and the other half is not shaded at all, except by the house its self. I would like to have some symmetry on both sides. I'm having trouble finding plants that do well in both sun and shade. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! I'm in zone 8a and the bed is facing the south.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9137830

When does the sunnier part of the bed get sun? If it's morning sun and then the house shades it in the afternoon then you should have some options, but in your zone afternoon sun is going to be challenging for any plants that don't love full sun so you may need to find some other types of plants.
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9137870

Hi ecrane3,
The sunny side gets midday to early evening sun. There is also a covered front deck and it offers some later evening shade. I forgot about that. I would say though, that the bed gets full sun at the hottest part of the day for a few hours.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9137888

Here's a list of the more sun tolerant hostas: http://hostalibrary.org/misc/don/hosta_list_sth.php You don't say what part of the world you're in, but assuming it's somewhere in the south/southwest in the US, afternoon sun in zone 8 can be challenging even for plants that like sun so take this list with a grain of salt. They may do OK in a sunnier area in a northern climate where temperatures don't get so hot but in the south they may fry. But, if you're in zone 8 somewhere like the Pacific Northwest where summer temperatures are much cooler then they should do just fine.

If you are in one of the hot zone 8 areas, I think you will probably be happier in the long run if you look for something other than hostas. I think you'll have a hard time in general finding something that will do well in both shade and afternoon sun in a hot climate, so you may want to develop a garden plan that's not perfectly symmetrical. If you're going for a more formal garden style, there should still be ways to achieve that look while having different types of plants in the two parts of the bed.
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9137969

Thank you so much for the link! I'm in the state of Alabama so we get pretty hot here. I'm definitely open to suggestions on other types of plants that might do well. What do you think about dwarf gardenias or coral bells?
I been reading that coral bells do well in both shade and partial sun.
I'm not really wanting my front bed to look formal, just neat and planned-- I guess. It doesn't even half to be totally symmetrical, just a few plants on each side that match would make it look balanced. Then I could fill it all in with other plants that will do best in the area.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9138017

Or you can get something that looks alike but not exactly the same plant
Daylilies for the sunny side and spidewort for the shade

Hardy Geranium has varieties that do well in shade and sun
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9138096

Thanks flowAjen,
I hadn't thought of that. That is a real good idea. I will have to do some research and see what look a likes I can find.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9138322

Given your climate, I would not consider any plant for that area unless it is listed as OK in full sun. Even some full sun plants will prefer a bit of afternoon shade in a hot climate, but at least if it's listed for full sun you've got a chance. Things that say they want partial sun would probably be OK with morning sun, but not afternoon sun (I think the coral bells would probably fry). Gardenias don't do well in full sun here, but I've seen people in more humid climates say that they've grown them in sun with no problem so they might be worth trying.
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9138381

So far my hopes are highest about the dwarf gardenias. I see them in my area doing well in both sun and shade. I have a full sized one at the back of the house in full shade, and its doing fine. And I have a neighbor that has one in full sun and it is doing fine as well.
I will keep searching and researching and hope to find one or two more options to help balance out that front bed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America