Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: Summer in YOUR neck of the woods, come chat :-)

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 207, Views: 1,268
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9138197

Thought I'd give Betty a break .. hope I do this FLIP over OK ^_^

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255146/

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9138218

Home from a VERY soggy trip !!!!
How disappointing .. but .. I got a book read, and we played cards til we were bleary eyed .. Lorna's parents will have a strong team to contend with when they get here in a week or so ..
Last evening we thought we were going to be either flooded out, or, in a tornado!!! Quite the scare.
Noticed LOTS of flooding on the drive back home, and, our Kakabeka Falls is just BOOMING ..
Have a few pics to show .. of course :-)

ONE will be the Amber Jubilee Nine Barks (woof woof) :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9138222

Forgot to add a pic of Kakabeka Falls .. I actually do not know HOW I got the nerve to walk down to the viewing pod and take the pics !!
I was trying to speak to visitors from the US and we were YELLING at one another because the Falls are so loud ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 25, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9138288

Thanks for moving us over...

Love the photo's "M" too bad that the weather wasn't better.

Bet you still had opportunity to relax which you wouldn't have done at home..
Nice ninebark..will have to look for it.

Been out all day finishing front gardens..bought red mulch, had thought I would use it around the smaller pond but ended up doing 3 of the 4 front ones..tidies it up..will go to town tomorrow and pick up 5 or 6 more bags..need about 30 but little aveo just can't carry that many lol

Did rain heavy for all but 3 minutes then sunshine out, nice breeze so nice for working outside

I'm so dirty, thinking of taking hot bath and doing next to nothing tonight, doubt that will happen but we shall see.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9138298

Marilyn - Great pics! Looks like the accessibility was all Lorna needed, eh? That must have been Very relaxing for you both, even though you didn't get fishing :-) Great pic of the falls! And the boat!
So, Lorna's parents are card players too... play for matches?

Betty - hear that mulch has to be laid 3"... our friend had me do that last year for all her gardens and expect you have even more! It's so good to stifle weeds :-)

Bob Just got a call re: working interview - he's to go on Monday 8am to work with someone on a house (last guy's last day is today, not 1 month ago as was originally set... or maybe it's someone that didn't work out?!?! dunno).
Anyway, Bob's to bring some tools and I think ladders, and they'll see how he works out. If yes, then he has a job! It's exterior work, so I don't have any more details. Bob had seen this guy working and Bob figured he should probably work at what he's been doing for years before, rather than go with Warehouse that he's only done for 3 years... Hope it turns out for Bob & isn't Just outside work, cuz who knows what the winter season will bring... last year almost no snow...this year?!?!?!

Add to that, my call to work 2-3 weeks temp at a higher rate than I get for EI - we're happy campers here!!
Betty - we're skimming by again!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 25, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9138323

You have to in some ways be the luckiest couple..always seems no end to problems then voila, something comes up..I'm so glad for you both!

As for mulch Susan, I put newspaper down between plants, then new soil then mulch..just tidying it up for less work this summer..I'm believing the weathermen that it might be a hot one with no rain so am preparing.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9138346

This just hit the news !!
Jeeze Louise :-(

BTW .. we live in Oliver/Paipoonge, BUT, up high !!

~M~

http://netnewsledger.com/2012/05/25/flood-watch-issued-by-lakehead-regional-conservation-authority/

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9138534

you're soooooo right, Betty - as I said to our pastor the other day, my name Susan means "lily" and I told him I was like on of the "lillies of the field" in the bible - they neither toil, nor do they reap, but the Lord provides.
We do try to Toil, however yesterday I prayed harder than I ever have for a resolution for us - was so upset and asked the Lord "Please, please, please help us..." and today we both got calls. Not to say that he can help all the people all the time, but it sure is nice he's helping us now...
I wish all the people of the world would be helped. There are so many that have problems much bigger than ours...
We at least have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and friends, friends, friends! There are agencies out there to help as well. We'd find it difficult to pay the rent and bills sometimes, but we Will get through. I just hope and pray that sometime we get perm jobs that "work" for our needs.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 25, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9138543

Omg "M" you will all need an ark? You must be getting the rain for all of Ontario..keep safe!! Now think of it this way, what if it was snow..yikes

Susan, he did listen, perhaps he was on a break and said what to heck, I've got time to help one more!

Bit of a meeting this afternoon, me Darlene,Suzanne..one missing but we will fill her in. Lol
I will work on travels plans for St,Louis, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville for first week August.. I have to plan the day, hotels, activities which I enjoy and am good at..even a budget..last year we had $100 left over so enjoyed a good meal before crossing to the Canadian side..we are hoping 7 days but have 9 to play with..oh happy days

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9138552

I know he listened Betty - sometimes I just get down and start to go through the motions of Everything, and now I'm being more proactive and with my "normal" life.
For instance, I just mailed off a whole bunch of quilt blocks that needed to go out (one, to France, and was supposed to go on April 7th... ooooooopsie!). I just didn't have the energy to do much more than stuff at home and playing on the computer. I had to give myself a good shake and Get It Done. Sometimes it's difficult to give oneself a shake...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9138605

I need 'SHAKER SUSAN' :-)
I am trying desperately to get 'into' the frame of mind i NEED to be in to have company for 2 weeks.
Lorna's folks are nice people, but, I was brought up so as to fulfill EVERY need a guest might have (thanks MoM) .. last year I was able to bee bop about and DO lots, this year I have slowed down considerably .. the arthritis in the hips and back makes most things just a bit iffy .. but .. I push .. and I pay ..
So Susan .. SHAKE ME UP ^_^

Betty, your trip sounds fabulous .. ENJOY !!!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 25, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9138617

"M" just let them know you have not been well ! Am sure Lorna has told them all about it..don't do more than you can without paying for it later..

Yikes bad storms heading Ottawa way
ViolaAnn, batten down the hatches!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9138626

"Shake, shake, shake your booty..."
But we have to have you be careful with your hips and back... how about if I just turn you upside down and shake you "north to south"???
yes, surely Lorna's parents will understand that you're "one year older" and have arthritis problems...anyway, will THEY be able to join you in the bee bop? LOL Like to see them try... send pictures!!!! LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 26, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9139236

Smiling here ^_^
Fortunately Lorna's folks are both 80+ .. active, but, both suffer from arthritic joints, so, I am sure they'll understand ..
We were going to get back to swimming, but fer cryin out loud it seems there is never any TIME to slot it in .. we need 2 hours max .. we'll see .. gardening and grass cutting have taken precedence it seems .. and.. that's as it should be.

I hope ViAnn doesn't get the storms we had (and are getting again tomorrow) .. batten down the hatches for sure !!!

I have decided I will NEVER again buy chairs that do not have permanent CUSHIONS on'em .. gawd .. I have to ,yet again, re sew (by hand) the fasteners that hold the cushions on the chair !!! I even used dental floss the last time on a couple !!! Guess there's lots of friction and torque there from people moving about on them .. but, the chairs go with my set, so, suck it up ..

Off to plant a rose bush ..

Hope everyone is a well as they want to be

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 26, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9139316

Lol, wasn't too far off your train of thought, figure by the time fall comes my gardens will be cleaned..why do we do such things to ourself.
Day will be over and not much more done than cleaning another flower bed, grass mowed and watered..not the things I wanted to get done today unless I get a burst of energy..is it me or are we feeling much older this year?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 26, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9139405

Marilyn - how about affixing the cushions via epoxy or crazy glue (guess that would be more expensive though...). Or even put glue on the places where they're 'ripping' out when you finish sewing this time?

I'm cutting fabric for more cushions for our church hall. Will give them to Gloria to use her serger for it. Bless her heart for offering to do them!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 26, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9139659

Susan .. my chairs match my buffet and china cabinet and are made from oak .. I would never want to affix something permanently.
It only took me about half an hour to sew the 'tie down thingies' back on .. washed and Pledged the chairs, and put the seat cushions back on .. all in all they look good.

Took a pic of one of the perennial beds .. Bleeding Heart.Iris and Peony are coming along, and I still have plastic bags on sticks over the Daylilies to scare off the deer .. pic is kinda dreary though .. and it was a sunny day ..

Property is cut and trimmed out .. 5 hours for Lorna to do that .. man she amazes me .. looks beautiful ..

I'm off to look up Rhubarb coffee cake recipes .. I have an abundance of rhubarb and it's PRIME TIME ^_^

Toodles

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 26, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9139823

OH - of Course you wouldn't want to. For some reason I thought you were talking about patio chairs...
Couldn't you still glue down the ties to the cushions without it being visible? Crazy glue, used discriminately, is clear...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9140143

Finally found my way over here. Turned off the computer early because of those storms on Friday. We got off relatively easy but some areas of the city had hail - my local hosta nursery owners own garden which is not far from here, was battered by hail. I saw him yesterday in Montreal - spent the day there with a group from the Ottawa Hort. Society which took a day trip to the Botanical Garden. They were having a special gardening weekend with plants for sale and lots of exhibits. Must have walked for 3 hours yesterday.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 27, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9140211

MORE rain here, anticipate 25-45mm .. creeks are running high, and we have flood watches in place .. we'll do OK as long as the culvert at the end of our driveway hold on !!!
Happily we have NO hail (fingers crossed)

ViAnn .. sounds as though you had an enjoyable day yesterday .. lots of walking for sure. Did you see any different species of Hosta ?

Susan .. I will just 'go' with the sewing for now .. the ties are secure, and I have tied them in a different configuration .. instead of tying them to the spindles on the backs of the chairs, I have gone around the spindle and then down to the top of the leg of the chair and anchored them there .. Gord seems to think there will be less stress and strain that way .. we'll see.
The set is 25 years old, my Mom and Dad bought it for me when we moved here .. so .. replacing the chairs with ones that have permanent cushioning is not an option .. yet.. I'm way too sentimental it seems ^_^

I should get busy .. WAS going to make a rhubarb coffee cake, but, didn't pick the rhubarb yesterday, and certainly don't fancy going out in this rain to fetch some ..
Have 5 Scrabble games going online .. guess I can play with that for a bit ..

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9140322

ViolaAnn - were the greenhouse owners away when their plants were endangered by hail, or were the plants still in the ground? Weather can be terribly devastating for a business...

M - glad there's a solution for the cushions. I'm a sentamentalist too, so I Totally understand about not "harming" the chairs!!!!!

Well, off to get ready for Church - cya all later!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9140707

Susan - it was his personal back yard garden that was damaged by hail. He uses it as a display garden, but said it won't be open this year. He lost a lot of his shade last summer - trees on the neighbour's property which were taken down - likely ash trees and we are being hit hard by Emerald Ash Borer. He's planning to build pergolas for shade, but has been too busy so far. I'm pretty sure his business is OK.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9140784

glad to hear you think his business is OK, but very disheartening to hear of his personal / display garden being ruined!
I love pergolas - look so decorative

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 27, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9140825

Well .. it has been quite a day !!
I was sitting playing Scrabble when the dogs went 'CANINECRAZY' .. I got up and went to the back door, opened it, and there in front of the garage was one of our 60' Poplar trees .. KABOOM !! Fell down in half, hit the garage and came to lay across both bay doors ..
So .. after calling the Insurance Company (our second claim in 40 years) we were given the OK to clear the tree away ourselves .. as a matter of fact, the insurance company does NOT pay for the tree clean up and removal .. but .. they will pay for the damage to the soffit and facia and one of the windows.
Had this have been yesterday, there is a better than good chance one of us would have been in the area !!!
Am attaching 2 pictures ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9140869

omygoodness, Marilyn!! glad you were safe inside and the tree didn't head towards the house!! Happy you're safe!
So, the insurance company won't arrange for the removal - will they reimburse you for any charges incurred?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 27, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9140882

Nope .. the tree and its removal is totally our problem .. and that's ok for US .. Gord has chainsaws and other equipment to aid in the removal, and we'll burn the wood either outside or inside ..
Feel bad for anyone else who has the misfortune and hasn't the resources to work with..

The fix up on the garage will be covered ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9140985

glad the garage will be covered!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 28, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9141442

OMG!!!
Floods and more floods are the order of the day here .. we are stuck here, our driveway is gone .. as are the culverts across the main road into the city ..
WIll post more pics once I get them downloaded .. AND .. more rain on the way !!!!!

Here is footage of our 'NIAGARA of the NORTH' .. Kakabeka Falls .. just powerful and spectacular !!! BUT, more rain and we are in trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9UaslM414&sns=fb

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 28, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9141763

Just a quick HI and some pics .. waiting to hear whether our gas will be shut off, as well as waiting for insurance adjusters .
I now know what being in a disaster area is like, and, it's not nice. Thankfully we are all SAFE and well ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 28, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9141978

OMG!!! I agree, Marilyn - Yikes!
Your gas may be cut off because of the high waters?
I'm SO glad you and yours are safe!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 28, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9142204

Lordy "M"' been going through photo's and your posts, thank goodness you are home from camp and that you are safe..must be so devastating! Here it's hot and humid, July weather...when does your company arrive..

On the run!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 28, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9142277

As we speak the Township maintenance dept is repairing the end of our driveway .. at least that's what we think all the noise is about.

Lorna's folks arrive on Sunday around noon .. be here before I lnow it, AND, once again, I have an uncle unwell and iffy in hospital, and a good friend's Dad passed away last evening, funeral on Thursday (an hour before my dental hygienist appt) .. not sure what I'm going to do about that one ..
Suffice to say we have a FULL week ahead of us ... be still my heart !!

Betty, I hear you guys have VERY high temps .. given the choice, I think I'd still take the rain ... hmmmmmmmmmmm .. maybe not ...

Sun is out right now, best go an have a good look out there !

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 28, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9142290

You sure have a lot on your plate..

I'm off to batten down the hatches, make sure everything is secured..after all the work done in gardens sure hope the weather forecasted for here tonight

Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Issued at Monday, 28 May, 2012 6:25 PM

Risk of severe thunderstorms this evening. This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall..Monitor weather conditions and listen for updated bulletins.
Scattered thunderstorms are expected to track through portions of the above regions later this evening. Some of these storms could be locally severe with damaging winds, large hail, torrential downpours and frequent cloud to ground lightning, there will also be the risk for an isolated tornado.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 28, 2012

Post #9142301

YIKES Betty & Marilyn!! Send them the ARK, someone!!! Who has it now?!?!?!

WHAT a couple of week days I've been having...
1. Friday, got a call to start an work assignment tomorrow (Tues)
2. This am I went to another agency and they tested me on computer software (MSOffice)
3. Got a call from Another agency, saying they saw my resume on Monster.ca and have a position they think will be a "fit" for me - they sent me a test of knowledge of computer software (MSOffice) - I've done some of the test modules and I will take the rest of the test tonight.
4. Got an email from Another agency - saw my resume on Monster.ca, wanted my updated resume and cover letter. I sent both, plus 4 Excellent references. She called me while I was taking #3's test, so I got her # and called her when I finished a test module. I spoke to her, and she outlined an Exec Assistant position with an IT CIO and thinks I would be an excellent "fit" for it. She suggested $1 more/hr than I asked for, and said it, and the yearly were in line with what the company wants to pay. Only drawback - it's downtown, so I'd have to take the bus... and it's horrendous, both for parking AND bus - connections are Not good. siiiiiiiiiigh

My brain's a-spinning, and I'm reeling with the possibilities! First, a dearth of job interviews, and Then This?!?! I'm not complaining, believe me!!!!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 29, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9142799

Susan .. guess this is the right time to say 'never rains, but, it pours' !!
Quite the situation to be in, and I am so hoping you can find a good 'fit' that benefits both you and your employer to be.
Parking and transportation in 'the BIG city' is such a bone of contention. Have friends and relatives living in Toronto who has resorted to bikes .. that just plain scares me !!
Good luck with your decisions ..

Last night we had MORE rain, and, at about 1015pm there was a flash of lightening that was so brilliant followed by the most AMPLIFIED clap and rumble of thuner I have ever heard !! Poor Piper .. supposedly all is OK for us to head east into town .. we'll see I guess.
Betty, I hope your predicted storm was not too bad ..

Take care everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9142829

More Rain, Marilyn? when will it stop?!?!?!

re: Bob - it seems he would be getting paid as a self-employed worker. ie: work when the weather's good. Not liking that... I'm egging him on to look for a full-time perm inside job...

Well, I'd better get ready for my first day on my assignment.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 29, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9142855

Morning,

Best of luck Susan..sounds as though things are looking up for you both!!!

"M" had heavy rain, no storm (if there was I slept through it)! Calling for thunderstorms this afternoon but was sunny coming in.

Safe travels everyone

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 29, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9143843

A good day as days go .. saw LOTS of devastation on the ride into the city, waters in creeks are high and RUSHING .. some severe flooding of basements in one portion of the city.
I consider myself lucky !!!

Hope all went well for you today Susan ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9144002

Betty - how's going by you?
Yesterday and today I wore my "lucky" jewellry... made by Betty lol It seems to be working!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 31, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9145792

Susan .. hope the 'lucky jewllery' is still working for you, wish we had some here in TBay.
We're still under a state of emergency in the city and surrounding Townships, but, the road repair work is nothing compared to the loss in homes .. thousands of basements received 4-6 FEET of water in them, and some of that water was SEWAGE water ..
I consider myself lucky .. our driveway was repaired and we were able to leave the property by Tuesday afternoon. Mind, driving is a bit treacherous going past the washouts, but, considered safe. Oh YAY .. I won't miss my dental hygienist appt today !!

Frost in places across the city .. gardening may be a NON issue in this area .. Gord's seed potatoes are exposed .. and some of his seeds washed away .. the veg garden is so wet he can't get into it ..

Hoping everyone is doing fine and dandy

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9145851

Marilyn - do I detect a note of sarcasm in your posting re: your dental hygienist app't? With all the mouth pain you've gone through, surely this won't be bad?
I pray for all those in the state of emergency - without power, etc. And the gardens... how very frustrating...
Hoping you have a sunny day and some of this WET dries up, and the sewers are repaired quickly. I can imagine the insurance companies are hiring extra people for their calls centers just to catch up on the claims...at least they will need to after the water starts receding.

Apparently I will find out this morning if the job I interviewed for yesterday evening is one I get!! They want someone to start NOW and I got a good feeling about it... however, it means leaving my job assignment Way Early... after days instead of weeks, and I don't want to Do That to the agency that sent me here... thought I would have time to give decent period of notice. Well, won't "count my chickens before they're hatched"...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9146152

Morning, ooops afternoon..if I don't stop this hacking susan I'll be joining you looking for a new job!!! Drats, say 100 day cough, must go back and see when it started..must be well over a month, that being said it means another month and a 1/2 to go..yikes, won't make it. Here Saturday and Sunday I thought I had it licked, back last few days with a vengence..good think, quiet/quiet at work which means I don't have to talk much.

"M" glad you are making headway in the clean up..no frost but got to say considered putting on the heat this morning. Gardens will pay I'm sure. Having some DG friends end of June, had so wanted to have gardens in prime but things are done that should not, some are out now, which shouldn't be so who knows, end of gardens could be before end of June.

Carol ??? you ok

ViolaAnn, mind boggling about the present situation of posting body parts..be cautious of strangers

Susan..looking forward to hearing the outcome of your day re taking full time employment..

gee whiz, if jewelry works as good luck charms I'll turn on the kiln tonight and make more lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 31, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9146672

Beauty day here .. cool, but, sunny .. folks are out trying to cut EXTRA long grass .. and .. sad to say MANY of the people in the city have front yards filled with runied furniture from their flooded basements .. took some bottles of bleach and disposable gloves to one of the relief stations, they were so happy to receive them .. felt it was the least I could do.

Susan , VERY tongue in cheek re the hygienist .. it doesn't bother me, I only get a bit more than 'off' when it's a filling to be done .. not too crazy about the NEEDLE prior to treatment.

Been wondering about Carol as well .. hope she's doing OK .. met an acquaintence today who undergoing chemo for breast cancer. Her side effects sound a lot like Carols .. not funny at all !!!

Betty, that cough sounds lots like a bronchitis .. I take it you;ve had a recent chest xray ?
I lost my sense of taste and smell after a lengthy bout with 'the coughs' in 2004 .. it was bronchitis .. I was working and would have to dash into a treatment room, or bathroom or BROOM closet just to hide while I choked up a lung !!! Was always happy I had good bladder control LoL !!

Bed early tonight .. lots to accomplish tomorrow and the next day .. then the company arrives .. wish me luck !!

Take care all :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9146729

I called Carol and got her VM, so left her a message saying how we worry about her.

The job I interviewed for yesterday pm, and hoped to hear about - well, they really liked my interview, but chose to interview another candidate at 4pm today. It's 5:30 now and I still haven't heard, but the Agency seems not to be worried.
I didn't get the job I interviewed for at noon yesterday, but the same agency interviewed me on the phone for yet Another Job... I can't say the company name, but it has to do with being an EA to the president of the Biggest Event in Calgary each year... lol It would be a 2 month term (with a possibility of perm) starting immediately.
As the assignment I started on Tuesday has changed it's "end date" to tomorrow, I'm available for interviews right away! Siiiiiiiiiigh well, we'll have to wait and see... I'm not too good at waiting LOL
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 31, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9146992

Hi all Susan thank for calling I was resting with my new toy. Friend ( and foster mom) Shelly came in today and mostly we went shopping and bought a portable CD and then went to the library to borrow some talking books. Works a charm. Holding a book seems to take so much energy,

Well: updates: CT scan is worse, Bone scan is fine, drained 750 ml of fluid out of my right lung on Friday. I wish they would drain my abdomen which also has a large fluid accumulation but apparently that is not such an easy proposition. Saw Doc on Monday and started a new chemo on Tuesday - but this one is only 4 times and every 3 weeks!
It is however draining e nergy! So I am letting everybody else do things - wash dishes, watering plants in and out, doing laundry etc etc - some neighbor is always popping in to do something! Nice to be so well looked after. Home care nurse has checked in a couple of times.more gardeners keep showing up to help out outside, not much left to do out there. Still hope to get the veggie garden and new raspberries in the ground.,

The garden is looking really nice, two early peonies popped open yesterday. Daffs are almost finished.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9147166

Carol - sorry to hear you're having to go through the chemo again, just glad it's not so often as before.
I remember not too long ago you said you didn't need a home care nurse at all, but was nice she dropped in once. I see your energy level has gone down... So glad you have such good friends and neighbours and your home care nurse, of course :-)
Your daffs are almost done?
gosh it's weird - I have ONE flowering plant in my garden - Jacob's Ladder - it's looking good though.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 1, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9147264

Wishing you all the best Carol .. has to be nice to have the 'talking book' player though .. would certainly help to pass the time ..

Things here remain in HIGH GEAR (what else is new) .. Lorna's parents accommodation was cancelled due to the flooding, we are now scrambling to find alternate arrangements, and, ALL hotels have 'jacked up' their prices to cash in on other peoples bad luck :-(.
Some as high as $200./night !!

Off and running .. well.. as fast as my hip will allow me to run LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9147298

$200/night? YIKES! Obviously That isn't going to happen... imagine how some people take advantage like that!!! It's just not right!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 2, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9148655

OMG!! 7am and KABOOM, CRASH, BANG !!! The gravel truck brigade arrived out front to dig up the repair job from last week, I guess replace the culvert and pave .. going to be one noisy day .. the dogs are sure not impressed.

Last day of cleaning before company arrives, out tonight to celebrate my sons Bday (from last week), he ended up flying out to Toronto/Sudbury to monitor fix ups on the CPR rail line .. so .. missed his BDay at home ..
I see Union Station flooded .. I guess our flooding here is about 10 times worse .. estimates are at 1000+ families without housing, and many more with sewage caked onto their basement floors and walls, basically making their homes uninhabitable ..

And so it goes ... Looks like rain here :-(

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 2, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9148708

Maybe they should wait a bit "m" before dong repairs if more of the same is on its way..first think I checked this morning was the basement, thankfully no flood. Damp/cold and rainy, although they say rain today and tomorrow you can almost see the sun trying to come out.

Not a good time for company is it..hard to cancel when flights have been booked.

Nice day for chicken soup..warms the soul and heals what is ailing..I will try anything in hopes to ease the hacking!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9149172

I saw that Toronto's subway was shut down due to flooding, and they had to send in a disinfecting crew to clean it up from sewer water... showed the water from the street running down the stairway... wow - what a floodwater!!
It's open again now though, I hear...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 2, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9149368

Had a quiet day yesterday either napping or resting or listening to a talking book - nice gadget. two of my transport team are out of town for a few days so the 3rd dropped by in the evening and did the dishes.Today Wilma ( the team is Marie, Jan and Wilma) came by in the morning, brought up all the plants from the light garden in the basement which should have been outside days ago and on Monday a friend is coming over to pot them up. Then we did a quick Safeway trip and bought a small piece each of watermelon , melon and canteloupe - me thinking maybe I could eat these watery fruits. The melon is the best The watermelon is a bit dry but I will keep at it,- helps my mouth is not so dry., Bailey likes them too!
Tomorrow should be another quiet day. Weather not so nice but I still like to sit outside. I have developed a great desire to go in water so will see to get somebody to go to the swimming pool with me next week - I cant swim but I will go during aquasize class.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9149726

Glad you found something you enjoy eating - melons are so good for you, too! Bailey likes melons? lol
Don't blame you for wanting to go in the water! Can't swim?? never learned? If that's the case, it's like me with riding a bike - never learned. BUT - I'm like a fish in water - Love to Swim... never found me Out of the water during the summer. People would ask "Where's Susan?" and as long as it was summer, and the pool was open, those that knew me knew where they'd find me lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9150007

Good to hear you have such nice friends Carol, and, I do hope you get to a pool .. like Susan .. I love to swim .. it's just finding the time now !!!

BIG disappointment last night :-(
Took the family out to dinner at a NEW restaurant .. classified as 'CanCajun' .. what a mistake!! We ended up sending food back .. the manager gave us a $100. gift certificate to come back. The problem is 'inexperienced staff' .. we had THREE servers, and I think non of them had ever waited tables before .. ergo .. orders got mixed up, brought late AND cold .. just a nightmare ..won't be going back that is for sure .. sad part is, it was a refurbishment of an ages old VERY popular restaurant here in TBay .. over a million dollars in renos .. nice atmosphere. but, atmosphere alone does not a successful eatery make .. lesson learned ..

Off to the airport in just a bit to pick up Lorna's folks .. beauty day here ..!!!

Take care everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 3, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9150088

Morning, checked the clock, yep still morning..
dull dreary day, thought at least I could get the grass cut but nope so it's an inside day for me!

Got a project out, I had faux painted frames on old shed, brought them in, repainted insert and thought great day to upgrade them with glue and brad nails..one of my bradnailers has a trigger problem, needs tobe reset (need Greg to show me) and my standby one is missing, so on the hunt I went, nowhere to be found..didn't think I loaned one to Greg seeing I bought him one??? called, he was on the road bringing Kyle to drivers' ed and said he'd check when he got home..what it did do though is got me cleaning the craft room, likely an all day project..got to be done at some point so might as well be now..

Carol, am hoping you get swimming as well..sitting out enjoying sounds of the birds and looking at the new growth in the gardens is sure to make you feel better..sending prayers along with the hugs..

"M" very disappointing for sure! $100 gift certificate to make up for it is nice but if you didn't like it in the first place when would you use it..it will either be out of business shortly or will have better staff..if experienced staff then you just might get to use the certificate.

Lorna's parent will feel right at home re weather..what a dreary weekend..did not get anything accomplished..ok to say a zillion things need done inside but just the dark gloomy rain day tires you out and nothing gets done.

best I get back to craft room cleaning..lots going byebye

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 4, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9152384

In error, I had started a new link not realizing "m" had started one..will post 2 post from other link onto this one

"M" posted

Almost missed the move over ..

Am up to my neck in entertaining, find it tiring, but satisfying ..
Weather has been good, but, construction and repairs on the washouts are impeading travel . many detours to take .. makes the ride into the city a bit more interesting ..

Off to bed .. have been up since 5am .. and .. another early day tomorrow.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 4, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9152386

Susan posted

Take a look at this child prodigy's heavenly paintings, and don't forget to view the video at the end!
http://www.shangralafamilyfun.com/prodigy.html

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 4, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9152405

"m" don't you be overdoing..take some r and r for yourself. Are they there for a week?
Although it was sunny early this morning it drizzled most of the day and calling for the same for next few days...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 4, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9152428

Betty - thanks for "moving" me over! Geeze - I never even realized there were 2 new threads from 1 ... lol on me!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 5, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9153657

"M" posted

Another day down and another lunch and dinner .. tomorrow I get a day off from cooking .. the dogs need to be taken in to be groomed, so Lorna will stay here with her parents and Gord and I will take Lilly and Piper in .. I have some shopping to do .. then we'll pick up Swiss Chalet for supper ... YAY !!!

Still hearing many heart wrenching stories re the flood and properties lost in basements .. makes us give thanks we only lost our driveway and some of the veg garden !!

Hope all are well

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 5, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9153666

Hoorah for the no cooking..nice that Lorna has one on one time with her parents...after such happening makes you appreciative that you didn't have more severe damage.

dr's office called this afternoon, I go for chest X-ray tomorrow morning then get to pick up narcotics..am not to drive tomorrow so get to stay home, perhaps I can get the lawn cut although they said do nothing and see how my body reacts to it..highly addictive, me who won't take prescriptions half the time, doubtful I'll take such potent drugs for more than a few days

Bingo night, wouldn't mind winning. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9153696

Betty - I thought you posted on another site something like:
Dr said not to do any crafting..." so if no crafting/sewing, then no mowing lawn!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 5, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9153811

Gee willikwers Susan, Ann just left and I was saying all I'd do tipo morrow and grass got scratched OFF my list..here didn't you do same..old mother hens. Lol

Well, Ann left some fisherman cough candies for me, even they taste good! Lol

No winnings at t.v. Bingo, but Ann did manage to get to one.

Carol, how was your day?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9153827

Wow Betty - was SUPER to speak to you on Skype!! Now that we're experts... LOL "tell me another story" eh? LOL

Carol - are you resting? Hope you're eating well... Got any pics of your blooming garden? I'll bet the rains did it some good!! Boy, do we Calgarians love precipitation... we get so little of it for so long that when we get it, we get it with a vengance lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9154212

Betty, am thinking perhaps the doctor ordered a narcotic cough medicine? The most popular is CoActifed .. powerful stuff, and, it WILL knock ya on yer fanny the first few times .. but .. the cough suppressant in it (codeine) will stop your cough.

Been up for awhile .. Lorna, too, has a loose cough .. not a nagging one, and, because she is an ALLERGY person, we're not sure if it might be that ... all I know is it sounds horrible, and, the doc she saw on Monday (a hemotologist) was ONLY interested in her lab results and would not address her chest issue .. am hoping we don't have to go to a walk in clinic ..

One dog has been up and out, just waiting for PRINCESS Lilly to waken and say good morning to her Kingdom ^_^
She NEVER gets up before 7am

Have a good day everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9154459

Hope Lorna's cough is quickly fixable...

btw - there were 4 tornadoes in the Calgary area last night - one in NW Calgary (I live in NE, so was safe from them), and the Thunderstorms were loud and bright, but the RAIN was something awful!! It leaked a bit above our furnace (we don't have a basement, so it's on the main, and only, floor). We also had a leak in a doorway in the middle of our home. Bob's going to have to get up on the roof and figure out where it's leaking...
BUT we don't have it Near as bad as some of our neighbours... One (Kay) has actual holes in her roof, but she asked Bob to fix it at the end of June because she doesn't have the funds until then. I have to call her at work to see how she fared - she's the Church secretary. I'll wait until 10am to call another friend (Margaret) who Bob is going to work on leaks for - he had to do some other work for Kay before he could do Margaret's - she asked for him to do her leaks before mid-June...cuz that's when the rains usually hit, but we had Torrential rain last night/this morning...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9154462

Links to info on the tornadoes:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/06/05/calgary-tornado-lethbridge-environment-canada-warning.html?cmp=rss

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9154532

Drats and more drats, driving home from hospital it was sunshine..walked into hospital and right out, only person there..made a sandwich as I had no breakfast, got gardening rags on, outside, did no more than 5 minutes of work and rain..was excited about having the day to play in gardens seeng as it rained all last weekend, it would have been catch up but no go!

"M" the syrup is. Hycodan (hydro condone bitartrate). Lordy, first time I had to give drivers license and sign for meds..makes me a little apprehensive to take it. let's hope Lorna doesn't have to do the emerge..my doctor had said over past few mo ths just something you have to put up with..finally I said no go, not fair to all around me having to listen! Alright as LNG as you don't talk but when your job entails talking, what to you do??

That is all Lorna would need, get sick while her parents are visiting!!

We sure did learn to take tornadoes seriously as we get hit a lot more often..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9154581

Betty - these are drugs that the pharmacy needs to make sure aren't abused, so that's why the driver's license... I know when I take codeine for my cough, they want proof I don't have prescriptions from other pharmacies - Gov't (Big Brother) is watching...

Marilyn - I almost forgot that Lorna's parents are coming - Sure hope she's better before then. When do they arrive?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9155019

Guess they have to safeguard themselves because of abuse. Suzanne will pick me up for work tomorrow. Pharmacy warned me and reminded me what is on the bottle, NO DRIVING and guess if I was in an accident while driving I'd really be responsible even if it were not my fault.

Boy, quite the storm just rolled through..lightning and thunder, sailor is having quite a time because of it!

Susan, Lorna's parents are already in Thunder Bay.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9155022

ah ok - hope Lorna's doing better...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9155423

All is well here .. awful re the weather in Calgary .. what is UP with MA NATURE!! She be ANGRY this spring!!

Lorna has her cough during the night mostly, so, her sleep is broken .. otherwise it's just her voice that's a bit raspy.
The folks are doing well .. I think the gravity of what has happened here in TBay is finally hitting them as they travel the road ways and see the washouts being repaired.
Both parents look good and are still beating us at cards LoL
Having Chinese food tonight .. had Swiss Chalet last night .. nice not to have to cook ^_^

I was surprised with having to 'prove' who I was when picking up a prescription, but, as Susan said, it's a safeguard .. drug abuse seems to be rampant in the Provinces ..

Am attaching a couple of pics .. One is 'The Family' daughter in law is missing as she is the photographer :-)
L-R Brooklyn, Gord, Murray, Austin, Lorna and ME :-) outside the retaurant we had the crummy service at.
Another pic is the Iris.
And who knows if I'll put up anymore .. LoL .. road guys are already hard at it out front .. poor dogs are SUPER UNimpressed !!

Take care

~M~

LOL ... don't know how that pic of Gordon got on here .. taken this past Xmas at a local Greenhouse .. too funny !!!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 6:21 AM

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9155669

yummmmmmmm Chinese & Swiss Chalet - two of my favourites I don't get much of, but it's a treat when I do!!

DIL needs to invest in a tripod and set the camera (it IS digital, right?) to "timer". I think all digital cameras have a timer.
That way she can be in the picture too...

Today seems nice and sunny - a bit cool yet, as it's not even 10 am...

Today @ noon I go for my 2nd interview with an Oil & Gas company for a position as a Project Administrator! Get to meet "the boss". I've done a lot of research on the company, and prayed as hard as I can for the position to be mine...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9155937

Love the photo's..now those two pooches look as though they are ill treated!

I became an auntie today
4 girls 1 boy

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9155958

BEAUTIFUL Betty ... huge smile happening here ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9155980

My 2nd interview went well - this time with the Boss (Bashar) and HR Rep (Dean). Bashar was trying to "trip me up" re: ngineering terminology (I'm not in the industry, so might get depressed when my high expectations aren't met - hogwash! I told him depression is personal, and I don't take these types of things personally, just work harder!). I told him I have an excellent work ethic, and am able to learn at a very fast rate - will study/research!
When Bashar left, Dean said he was "rooting for me", because engineering terminology aside, he thinks I'd be the best match, for technical and personality. They need someone to start Monday, and have 2 other people to interview. Dean is going to talk to Bashar to speak to him about me, and maybe I'll be called in for a 3rd interview. I'll let you know

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9155991

Let's hope you will be working come Monday Susan!

"M" hoping it's a sunshine day for you and your company today in Thunder Bay..
Will likely take months before all the damage is repaired...

yikes, falling asleep here..shortly heading home, most exciting part of that is we will stop for an icecream cone..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9156001

Well, all that rain we had means our lilacs are starting to come out, and everything that likes water is doing better!! Some of our trees are suckering more simply because they got LOTS of rain, so will need to trim them back!!!!!

I need to go over to Marlene & Wilma's place and do some work on their back yard (remember the Park-sized yard I've been working on for the past 2 years? Well, it surely needs some pruning of the clematis!! And Marlene bought some flowers on Sunday that need planting!!) Good thing the City mowed their lawn, and Bob fixed her rain barrel stand!)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9156115

Hi All
Just got my order from Hosta Choice and they look good
Here is their photos

Ok I cant figure out how to do this at work.
Sorry.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9156255

HI Ann!! Not to worry - we'll see them later, when you post from home :-)
My little hostas are doing fine - looks like they bloomed when I wasn't looking LOL
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9156530

Ok Guys Here they are.

Thumbnail by annabell52

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9156587

Those are great, Ann - do you have a Hosta bed?
Looks like one of the plants is a spider plant?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9156691

Ann, the Hosta look great, and you'll enjoy them for years ..
I just 'took notice' of my Hosta bed yesterday, Lorna's Mom commented on it, it's coming in full bore right now as we've hade rain AND high temps ..
I tend to move quickly outside as not only are flowers and shrubs blooming out, but, the FAMOUS NWestern Ontario BUGS are really a force to be reckond with .. BZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, splat !!!
Have purchased some little gizmo from OFF that you can clip to your waistband and turn on, kind of like a fan thing .. supposedly willl keep the lil devils away .. or, you can place it on a table outside .. will try it soon.
Got up to 30C yesterday and, as fate would have it, our AC went bye bye .. have a repairman coming today ..

Betty .. how's the cough ?

Carol .. how are you doing ?

Susan .. good luck with the interview process .. I'd be a basket case !!!!

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9156881

Marilyn - trying very hard NOT to be a basket case LOL I haven't heard anything yet, and they wanted someone last Wed LOL
Well, need to get a move on - have planting and yard tending to do at Marlene & Wilma's... large yard, and they can no longer tend it because of age (Wilma) and lack of strength (Malene). Wilma's Marlene's mom, and they both belong to our church - lovely ladies...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9156945

Ohhh what a great variety of hosta's, they do indeed look healthy...now to get them planted right? I have some gigantic hosta's, really should nave split them, too late now.

Glorious day here, can't do anything major until my my work shift is over..hope it doesn't cloud up/rain..too much outdoor cleaning to do.

Carol, sending prayers and soft hugs..

meds working, no coughing, talk about exciting

"m". When do Lorna's parents leave? Not a lot of bugs here but imagine with this weather they will visiting.

Susan, enjoy your gardening!

Falling asleep, meds making me tired

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9157164

The interview went well, but I didn’t get the job because the boss wanted someone who was fluent in Engineering terminology, and I’ve a smattering of entry-level knowledge. After the boss left the interview, the HR rep said “I’m pulling for you because, terminology aside, I think you’d be a good “fit” for the boss – you’re smart, have a great work ethic, and I think your personality is a good match for him. I’ll have a talk with him and see if we can get you in for a 3rd interview”. Well, the boss really was “burned” by the last person, so I guess he wasn’t ready to try out someone who didn’t already have the terminology knowledge. Btw – they were both really impressed with my interview……..

However, the agency would like to put me forth for a one year term with another company that is also engineering, and they want someone who has had exposure to Oil & Gas. As a minimum, they will pay me $30/hr!!! That will be enough extra for me to get benefits for Bob & I. And a year in the industry would be good on my resume – I could then get another job in Oil & Gas. The thing is, they want someone with my office qualifications.
She just sent my resume over late this morning, so I’ll let you know if I get an interview.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9157176

Anyone know what shrub/tree this is? It's in my friend's yard and is about 10ft tall... pretty, but unknown lol

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9157261

My 'guess' is 'Honeysuckle' .. smells like watermelon :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9157272

omgosh - I have one of those in my own garden...and Knew I recognized it, but the brain didn't "see" the right answer to my flower question...
Do they grow to be as big as 10ft high with a spread of about 5ft? Very large bush, rather than a tree...
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9157349

Hi All
Going a bit crazy. No spider plants in the Hosta Order. They are Alakazaam , then there is Coconut Custard, Lakeside Zesty Zeno, Ripple Effect and Komodo Dragon. I have them potted up in the G house where I keep them to get a good start before I plant them out a little bit later.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9157456

Hi - don't think it's honeysuckle... the blooms don't grow out of the center of the leaves. These ones are separate from the leaves which are opposing.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 10, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9158869

Hmmmmm .. got me thinkin now .. I know Honeysuckle can get HUGE, when we lived in the city, there was one outside my sons window, it had to have been a good 10' tall .. My Honeysuckle is loaded with red berries at present ..
Those little pink flowers look SO familiar ..

Today marks week one of 'the visit' .. all is going well .. days are filled and I seem to hit the bed at 8pm and DIE until about 6 or 7am ..
This coming week will be a logistical nightmare as Lorna has appts mixed in with small day trips with her folks ..
Weather is horrid in the mornings (FOG) .. which burns off by noon and brings us sunny skies and nicer temps ..
The air conditioning was on the fritz, but, happily was fixed within 36 hours !! I think the reason being is that TBay and 2 outlying Municipalities have been declared disaster areas due to the floods 12 days ago .. we seem to have a glut of tradesmen available for repairs.

And ... so it goes ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 10, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9158936

Morning, been up for hours, flittered from here to there, keeping busy but not seeing anything I've done! You just don't get a sense of accomplishment when you do that, guess n the end it all comes together..

Rained all night, thank goodness even though I was I exhausted that I finished cutting the grass..5 1/2 hrs and by Friday it will need it again. Does seem dair does it..

Too wet this morning to get the weeder out..do have a big project ahead of me today, why on earth did I think if I out patio stones in a design of equal stone and grass that it would be nice..didn't think our ow much maintenance it will take, normally I use the trimmer around them but deAr son Greg says 'but mom, it burns the grass and looks terrible soo this mornimg I'll see if I can get it done, heck, not mornimg, likely all day!

In the meantime while grass is drying I went n search of the box with hummingbird feeders, now washed, just have to wait for mixture to cool, can fill the viles and another project behind me..

Have to mention the meds I'm taking completely took my cough away..that being said who knows what will happen wheni come off them seeing as the meds doesn't cure, just tricks the brain..I really don't care, just as long as I'm ot hacking le I was.

"M". Hard to accept sometimes that we don't have the energy we once had..I too am usually in bed by 8pm and if by chance I'm up until 10pm I thinkive burn the midnight oil...

Before you know it, Lorna's parents will be home and you will wonder what to do with your days..

Hope weather cooperates for next week's outings...today will be spectacular..do hope you all enjoy much of the same

Coffee is calling
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 10, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9159004

Hello Ladies,

A little update on Carol. She spent a few nights in hospital early last week, but has been home since Wednesday. She looked much better Saturday than Thursday. Has been drinking boost, but having a hard time with keeping food down.

Carol is well taken care of. She has a nurse and home-care checking on her daily. Friends and neighbours are on-hand helping with all kinds of things and also looking after her dogs. I'm sure she will check in here when she gets some strength back.

Joanne

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 10, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9159097

Joanne, bless your heart for posting the update..sending prayers that she begins to gain strength and thank the Lord for all the earthly angels helping her..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 10, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9159106

Huge hugs for you Joanne .. I am sure, like me, almost everyone on the Forum that has interacted with Carol, is thinking about her and wondering and wishing her well ..

Thank you so much for the update ..
WOuld love to send her a card .. if anyone has her home address they might DMail me ? ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 10, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9159118

Love to send one as well!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9159605

Joanne - Thanks SO MUCH for posting re: Carol. I really worry about her, but I haven't altogether gotten rid of my cough. I'm sure it's not a cold, but she has to be careful. I likely phoned her when she was in the hospital.
I hope she gets her strength back - we miss her here...
Is she taking phone calls now?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 12, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9161721

Sheesh !!! Thought I was lost in the muck and mire of technology there for a bit. I never 'logoff' Daves site, came on yesterday and had to LOGIN .. talk about trying to 'crank out' my password, which I did, but, I got dropped at leat 4 times .. finally gave up ..
It's working now .. glad of that .. am thinking the winds may have had a hand in causing internet woes.

Still standing going into day 10 of the visit .. and.. surprisingly enough, enjoying it .. never really knew I could cook so many different things AND, keep the house clean this long !!

Off to a seating clinic with Lorna today, she is in line for a new wchair cushion .. but .. there is actually a person designated to assess her and her needs so that the proper cushion is put on her chair .. these cushions are OVER $400.00 !!!! Unreal huh ?
Because the particular hospital we have to go to is undergoing renos, Lorna's Mom will go with us, I'll drop them off, find a parking place and then try and find them .. ought to be interesting ..

Have to remove a tick from poor Piper .. he has had the 'treatment' so, in essence he shouldn't need to have it physicallly removed, the tick should die and fall off, but, the thought of him having one on him makes me ill !!!!

I best get a shuffle on .. am thinking this wind is going to BLOW us into the city !!!

Have a great day all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9161961

I think DG is having problems? Either that, or you'd cleared your cache and therefore lost your password, etc?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 12, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9162304

"M" that is a lot of money for a cushion but guess if you are the one sitting in the wheelchair for any length of time you want to very best! Hope you found Lorna and her Mom..

Will Lorna's dad spend the day with hubby?

Overcast here, rained a bit this morning, almost think the thunderstorms have passed us by.

Wonder how Carol is doing??

Busy day at the office, painting mileage signs for my DG Sistah's gathering at the end of the month and for this they pay me big bucks lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 12, 2012

Post #9162664

I have a card for Carol, but I'll be danged if I can find her last name .. I know it starts with a 'V' though, and, it's a Dutch name .. we had a pic on here last summer, of her in her Lougheed Dress and her name tag on .. can't find it, nor can I find the addresses we had from the GNOME Days (remember them :-)! )
Ann did give me her addie .. it's just the last name .. card is all made out though, and I do so hope she is doing OK.

All went well with the 'seating clinic' .. it'll be a month + before the new cushion arrives ..
Lorna's Dad did stay with Gord, they made up dog food for the dogs (spoiled animals) LoL

Tomorrow Gord and I are 'meeting' with his younger brother and his sister at her cottage .. Percy (the brother) works up in Ft McMurray as a heavy equipment mechanic .. has for years .. comes home every 2 weeks for 10 days .. his wife is the Director of Nursing at a local hospital .. anywho .. Percy has been off work as he has been having chest pain .. he wants to touch base with all of us I guess .. I sure hope it isn't too bad .. the women in the family all all nurses .. myself, Gord's sister and Percy's wife .. kinda stressed about it all ..
Have to be home by 1pm to take Lorna;s Mom in to see a 'podiatrist' .. apparently they are in short supply down east ?

Burning the candle at both ends (and at times in the middle) is making me one tired puppy !!!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9162801

Carol Van Velzer is her name - she's FancyVan on DG's address exchange

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 13, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9163210

Thanks Susan , and, Ann ... into the hands of Canada Post goes the card this morning ^_^

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9163215

Good morning,

Hi time I got over here - something about trips to Rochester two weeks in a row that have put me behind on everything else. We were back there last weekend for a wedding.

My garden isn't in and I'm playing catch up, though it rained yesterday AGAIN!

DH's aunt in Vancouver passed away last week (at 94) and we'll all be gathering in Calgary next week for a service. Would try to contact some of you, but I doubt I'll have enough time - we fly out on Thursday and back home on Saturday and there will be family we've not seen in awhile.

Can someone Dmail me an address for Carol? I'm not on the addy exchange but I'd also like to send a card.

Will try to get here more often.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 13, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9163276

Morning, sunshine day in my neck of the woods today! OMG thought I'd freeze to death last night, wind was up and what a drop in temperature.

ViolaAnn, sympathies for the loss of your Aunt, 94 is quite an age but still a shock when it happens. Each time I see my hosta's maturing and growing to unbelievable size I think of you and what your garden must look like. Wouldn't it be nice to meet some of the girls even for but a minute?

Let's hope "M" you can put your mind at rest after visiting with Percy. I imagine being a nurse you are above cautious. Glad Lorna will soon have a soft seat..lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9163936

We'll be at the Delta Bow Valley on Thursday and Friday evenings.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9163993

ViolaAnn - so sorry to hear about the passing of your aunt. While 94 is a "good" age, her passing has got to be difficult...
Do you have someone to pick you up at the airport (2, 3 or 4 of you)?
I live about 10 minutes from the airport, and can give you a ride if you wish. Do you know what day/time you'll be coming in? I'm not working, so am available - just let me know... Carol's about 20 minutes further away (west of me)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9164697

Susan - haven't talked to DH (he's in Portland, OR for a meeting this weekend), but I'm betting he will rent a car. He'll also see the 96 yr-old aunt (Alma) who lives in Portland. She's decided to stop traveling; so won't be coming to Calgary. We nearly lost Aunt Esther back in September but she was a tough cookie and rallied. At one point decided to stop eating and die, but decided that didn't work and she might as well live a bit longer.

She died over a week ago, but her daughter was (and still is) on a much needed vacation in Arizona. Her son lives in Brussels. We all told Carol not to cut her vacation short and my Vancouver daughter looked after the formalities. They decided on the memorial service in the Lutheran church she attended for many years in Calgary. And we can only look on it as a celebration of a long life well lived.

Well, have been to the pool and spend most of an hour at Tim's. Now I need to get into the garden. It's a perfect gardening day.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9164713

Which Lutheran church, Ann?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9164787

I THINK Grace Lutheran, though the only email I could find said "don't quote me on that". But the location would be right to have been her church when she lived there. Had to go into DH's email since they haven't copied me on the details.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9164804

It is Grace Lutheran, in the SW of Calgary - I called them, and they said June 22nd at 11am.
I have their ph# too - 403-249-8562

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9164850

Wow! I learn more from on-line friends than from family!!!!

Who knows! If it's that early on Friday, I might have time on Saturday to meet some people. But I've got to get DH to agree. He's not always agreeable to meeting with on-line friends.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 11:37 AM

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9164854

lol Ann!
if it's ok with you and I'm not working or interviewing, may I come to the service?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9165896

My condolences Ann re the death of your 'Aunt in law'.

All here is going well .. only 2 days left in the visit .. today we will do a country tour .. go to the Cheese Farm (owned by a Dutch family who makes HUGE wheels of Gouda and Swiss cheese) So many varieties to choose from .. I like the Sun dried tomato .. yum ..
Not sure where else we'll land up .. have to be careful as the roads in the outlying districts are still under construction from the flooding 2 weeks ago.
I do know I am 'off the hook' for cooking though as Lorna's parents want to take us out for a later lunch ..
Tomorrow I'll cook Prime Rib .. and, once again NOT attempt Yorkshire pudding :-( just never seems to work for me .. flat and gummy ..

Hope everyone is happy and safe and WARM (our furnace is on)

TGIF

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9165919

Susan - I responded! wonder where it went. I certainly have no problem with your coming to the service.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9166080

Great - I'll be there to support you! and won't it be wonderful to finally meet?!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9166190

Hi All, a bit of sad news

Another update on Carol (Fancyvan)

She had fallen and is now at the Scarcee Hospice. She will probably spend the rest of her days there. Cancer is awful.

Joanne

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9166194

o my goodness... poor Carol!!
sad news... thank you for letting us know. Do you know if she would like company?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9166203

Probably short visits (no more than 2 people at a time) would be nice. Perhaps call the hospice and ask what they recommend. She isn't eating anything so don't take any food or treats.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9166216

ok - thank you...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9166227

I called the Hospice and I'll be visiting Carol this afternoon.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9166241

Cancer is indeed an evil thing!! Can any of us say we haven't been touched with the death of a family member or friend!!!

Just feel sick about this..she sure has gone through a lot.

Susan, know she will be ill, no big hugs from all of us but tell her she is in our prayers..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9166258

I imagine Carol's pretty emaciated... she was never a big person.
I will certainly pass on your prayers for her.

Tomorrow I'm doing the first of my pastoral care visits to a 90 yo lady from our congregation. She doesn't get to come to Church anymore because she's so frail. funny - when our Pastoral Care coordinator called to "introduce" me and let her know she will be getting a visit from me, she asked "will this cost me anything?" lol Mary told her "no, this is a visit from one of our Church members"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9166294

Something to do that will be so gratifying for both

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9166313

Joanne for those of us who have yet to get our cards in the mail for Carol, should we use a different address?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9166337

I was wondering about that... wonder if someone could re-direct her mail to the Hospice? I'm sure they know about such things there, as people would "suddenly" be there, instead of at their home.
Perhaps her neighbours/friends in the area are going to bring her mail to her?
I'll ask at the Hospice to see if anyone's made those arrangements.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9166343

I called the Hospice, and her friend Wilma is looking after her mail arrangements.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9166532

I just came from visiting Carol - she's on heavy morphine, and is not expected to last the night, as per a nurse I spoke to. She said that Carol had been falling alot and has really gone down-hill quickly.
Two of her friends from Sheltie Rescue were there, too. One of them is caring for Carol's sheltie Abby.
I told her that we sent our prayers for her, and she said "thank you". I took her my first blooming rose (just bloomed this morning).
I'm feeling so sad. When I hear any further I will let you know...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9166592

Oh my goodness, what distressing and depressing news re Carol ..
YES .. cancer SUX !!!
Having looked after so many victims, i cherish the survivors and support them all that I can.
I feel just awful ..
Carol is certainly in my thoughts and prayers ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9166605

I hope all her friends in Calgary know how loved she is here...
Who all has met Carol in person? I wonder if our Iris Lady (Inanda who came to Carol's Garden Party/RU one year) knows... I haven't heard Carol mention her for quite awhile, so maybe not.

Joannabanana - thanks again for letting us know where Carol is staying.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9166654

A few pictures from the past years that I've known Carol

Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9166657

A few more of Carol.

Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana   Thumbnail by joannabanana

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 15, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9166662

I so appreciate your sharing photo's of Carol, sure will miss opening this thread and not seeing Carol post..it's difficult to comprehend within a week or so how she's lost ground.

Susan thanks for going over, couldn't have been easy.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9166668

Here's a pic from last year - Carol's winning peonies
Thank you, Joanne - I remember being at the RU at Carol's (last pic on right) - think it was in 2009...
What a gracious hostess she is, and such a lovely garden.
Here's a pic of when my Mom visited, and Carol gave us a tour of Lougheed House. What a gorgeous costume, eh?

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9166679

No, it wasn't easy, but these things never are.
She was coherent but so heavily medicated that she was sleeping a lot.
I was stunned when the nurse said it wasn't much longer.
She's still with us, and I know your prayers and knowing friends (from Sheltie Rescue) were there pleased her.
They said, when she was at home, that there was a positive "flow" of people coming through the house, caring for her, her furries, her house and garden. I'm really glad of that.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9166706

Remember when we had "The Boys" (garden gnomes and a Moose!) and Carol hosted them at her house?
Check Dec 28th's posting (scroll waaaaaaaaay down) when Carol was "hosting"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1064160/
She's a funny lady!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9166709

Joanne and Susan, thank you both for being so kind and caring ..
Shedding a few tears here while looking at the pics .. beautiful pics I might add.
Like you Betty, I am so shocked at how quickly she has deteriorated. Cancer does do that though .. sneaky disease that it is.

I know all of us have lumps in our throats ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9166716

Joanne knows Carol a lot better than I - I was someone she saw maybe once a year in the 5 years I've "known" her.
But still... it was obvious what a gracious lady she is, at all times.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9166720

I just called the Hospice, and they say that Carol is calm, and resting comfortably - ie: sleeping a lot.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 15, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9166794

Just sick to my stomach, best we can do is pray!

Just came back to look at the photo's!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9166913

Thank you for the very sad news and pictures. As you said, Cancer sux! Susan - so glad you were able to visit with her. I had hoped that one of these days I'd get to Calgary and get to meet her and now it may be too late. Praying here.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9166919

yes, please everyone keep Carol in your prayers...
actually Ann - she's in the hospice on the same property as Grace Lutheran Church... I was thinking that you would be able to see her when you came to Calgary, but it looks like this isn't to be.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9167047

I don't know whether to pray that she'll still be around or not. At this stage, she may need the release from pain. If the end is imminent, usually the quicker, the better. I pray that she will not be in pain at the end.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9167058

She's on morphine, so isn't feeling pain, the nurse said. I believe they increase the dosage near the end so they will pass peacefully. The nurse also said that the end IS imminent and they're just trying to make her comfortable. She hasn't been eating much lately (the meds were making food taste bad).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9167194

Early morning prayers being said this morning for Carol!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9167210

Up early .. thoughts of Carol in my head as we just rec'd a call that Gordon's cousin Tom has passed. Like Carol, Tom has battled cancer for years .. and.. inevitably, IT won.
His sister passed in January .. and, sad to say, their Mom "Aunt Pearl' still is alive at the age of 94. Spoke with her and you have to envy her pragmatism. But, at 94 I would imagine she has about seen it all and is able to cope with these loses.
Like Ann I would hope that Carol passes quickly and without pain .. Fancy is going to LOVE seeing her once again.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9167215

Ahhh "M" life is cruel, shedding a tear! Sorry for your loss..we come to love our dg friends and is a loss to many of us here...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9167393

good morning
I just called the Hospice and the nurse said "Carol's much the same and I'm getting her her morning drink - she's very weak".

~M~ life does indeed have its ups and downs and yes, she's going to love seeing her Fancy again. Abby will miss her, but as Shirley (?) her friend from Sheltie Rescue says, "Abby is a princess - the only female in our household of male shelties"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9167458

Almost hate opening this thread today..thank you again, both of you for photo's and updates!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9167465

She's resting comfortably, as she was yesterday, Betty - no change.
She's not "eating" but is getting a breakfast drink.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9167732

I'm like Betty .. I hesitate to open the thread ..
Glad to hear things with Carol are status quo ..

Last huge meal with 'the folks' is done here .. will be up at 3:30am in order to get them to the airport for 5am .. bedtime will come early here that's for sure. They'll land in Toronto at about 8am and be home in King City around 9am ..
Nice visit .. but .. I;m tired thanks ..

Off to play some Scrabble, keeping Carol close in thought

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9168161

Always nice to have company but when you are used to being alone it throws schedule off..you'll enjoy our bed tomorrow night for sure.

Thought I'd check in to see if there was news of Carol.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9168286

I just called, and Carol didn't have a good day today. She's requiring more pain meds and isn't breathing too well.
If she's still with us, I will go to visit tomorrow. Felt bad about not going today...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9168351

Morning,

The most beautiful sunrise this morning, as red as red could be! Sat at Roger's grave cutting grass around tombstone, put a floral arrangement I made on the top and let him know how very proud he'd have been seeing his boys and grandsons grow not fine men!

Then dropped into Foodland, how could they open at 6:30 rather than 6:00am. Lol

I've got grass cutting to do today so hoping rain they are calling for waits till evening time.

imagine "M" you will shortly be back from the airport looking to have a nap!

Susan, thanks for the updates

All living so far away we feel helpless...

Enjoy the day everyone!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 17, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9168428

Our day here in Murillo started at 3am with an 'over the chainlink fence' wake up call from Mr or Mrs Black Bear .. the 2 dogs were just going wild .. there he sat under the bird feeder munching seeds, and there was the west side of the dogs enclosure all bent.
Scared him off with shouts and the flood lights .. called the 'BearLine' and was told that the feeders HAVE to go .. including the HUMMINGBIRD feeders !! That'll be a toughie as we have quite a few Hummies this year.
Parents were taken to the airport before 5 .. pulled up to Tim Hotons at 4:55am, asked for porridge, told me breakfast is not served until 5am, by the time I picked up my tea and 2 coffee it was 4:59am .. ah well ..
Did manage an hours more sleep, but up now with thoughts of Carol .. more meds, most specifically morphine, depress breathing .. I would imagine she is very poor.
Bless you Susan for going to see her if you are able. Like Betty, I feel so helpless living in Ontario.

It WAS a beautiful morning, but a big cloud just rolled over the area .. off to check the weather report ..

~M~

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 10:50 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9168594

Carol:
much the same, waking/sleeping, breathing not good, and pain meds not being increased anymore. She's having "her drink" one sip at a time.
She said, should anyone call, she's welcoming visitors so I will go this afternoon after Church.
Please say prayers for her.
violist
Calgary
Canada

June 17, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9168627

Hello friends. I am in Ohio visiting my mother in law and feeling so very sad to be unable to go see Carol. If any of you visits her, will you please tell her I am thinking of her and of her beautiful garden, and the lovely gatherings she hosted for all of us fellow gardeners! Please tell her that I know she will be greeted into the next world with flowers, music, and shelties.

I saw her at Joanne's hanging baskets class on the first weekend in May and she looked so well that day. I am finding it hard to accept how fragile life is.

Theresa

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9168953

Theresa - I am visiting her this afternoon, and will let her know of your thoughts, and wishes.
I think what I'll do is create a printed copy of people's wishes for her, and take it with me.
So, Theresa has voiced her wishes - does anyone else have well wishes, thoughts and prayers for Carol?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9168975

Susan, already likely missed you going, just tell her how much I enjoyed her telling us of the sheltie rescues, her finding a home for most and her posting of her wonderful gardens..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9168977

No, you haven't missed me - was just answering some urgent emails and calls, so decided to wait a minute or two to see if anyone has wishes to send her way.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9169004

I'm also printing up the pictures that Joanne and I posted here, so Carol can see them as well.

Thank you everyone - heading out to visit her now.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 17, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9169126

I've missed the boat on the wishes from myself, but, I am sure she knows we are all thinking of her.
When I went through the surgeries with Lorna, I SO appreciated Linda and Brenda keeping you updated and sending along your thoughts .. now, it's our Carol's turn ..

Have a pic to share of a MOST beautiful Luna Moth who spent the day sunning on the garage. We watched carefully to make sure no Crows or Blue Jays made her dinner !!

Off to bed

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9169182

Wow "M" gorgeous!!

You probably are in bed by now, I've just gotten back from Ann's , was falling asleep at the dinner table as was she, lol..off to bed!

Drats, torrential downpour..lots of flowers no longer standing up but kissing the ground..oh well!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9169191

Marilyn - I did put in some of the things you'd said once you found out -
"I feel so helpless living in Ontario. Keeping Carol close in thought"

Carol:
She was breathing kind of rough when she got agitated, but was fine when calmed down. She spoke a bit, and I read to her what you'd said in this thread. When I said "Violist" she thought I was going to say ViolaAnn, and said "Ann!". She was pleased to get so many messages of love and prayers from us. I printed off messages from the group here, and also included pictures Joanne and I had. She was facing the wall when I came, but I'm sure she'll look at them later. She is very aware of everything going on, although she's extremely tired, and doesn't open her eyes much. She doesn't sit up at all.
I stroked her arm and told her how much we all love her, and what a gracious lovely lady she's always been.
She smiled at that.
There's a quilt hanging over the end of her bed and and it's a new quilt so maybe it came from the Hospice itself, because Wilma didn't know anything about it, nor did Carol.
Wilma was there, and I thanked her for all she's done for Carol, including looking after her mail.
Apparently there are a lot of people who come to see Carol, so they have a time limit of 10 min/2 visitors, but I stayed for about 1/2 hr, quietly sitting in a chair.
When I left, it was a very happy peaceful feeling that came over me, because I know that she heard everything you'd said about her gardens, shelties and how much she's loved. It greatly pleased her, and thus, me... I was smiling when I left.

I will see how she is tomorrow, and may be able to visit her again. I don't want to tax her with too many visitors, but I know she enjoyed the visit today, even though she didn't say much (her breathing issues don't allow much talking).

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9169195

ViolaAnn - I told her you are going to be in Calgary next Friday, and also how much you were hoping to see her.
I am not talking about her to her as if she were gone already, or giving a time... but of course she's a realist and would know it herself. Who knows what God's plan/timing is for her - I surely don't. As I said, the hospice is on the next property to the Grace Lutheran Church, so I will be going there on Friday regardless...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9169212

Thank you very much Susan...it's been great getting updates on her well being...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9169236

you're very welcome, Betty - are you off to bed now?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 17, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9169446

Oh my, I thought there was a big reason I wasn't getting a response with my usual route of communication with Carol.
I have been a bit busy and not been on this thread.
Susan
Thank you for going to see her and when you go again would you let her know that I too am thinking of her. Please let her know that she inspired me to be a better gardener and a better person. We thoroughly enjoyed her staying with us when she came to Edmonton and her furries were always very well behaved. She is so giving with all the groups she belongs to. We had decided to get together in July as I had planed to drive to Calgary then but that will not work out by the sounds of things. I too wish her peace.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9169451

Thank you, Ann - sorry I hadn't known who all to contact. It's been such a quick turn-around for Carol and kind of stunned us all...
Maybe I should start a new thread... so people who love her will know what's happening for her.
I may go again tomorrow - always phone the Hospice to see how she's doing first. On Friday they told me that they weren't sure she'd last that night, and here it is Sunday...
She's really gone down in the past couple of weeks, and as Joannabanana said - she fell, and got admitted to the Hospice. Apparently it was the one of many falls she'd had according to the nurse...
I was pleased/surprised when she rolled over from facing the wall to facing into the room where we could see her (Wilma & I).

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9169627

A rainy Monday morning, seems the Robins like it that way.

Susan, another thank you for carrying our thoughts and prayers to Carol for us. You and Joanne have been so kind.
I agree, a thread devoted to Carol would be so nice ..

AltaAnn .. I can imagine your surprise finding out about Carol's condition .. just know that we were all basically 'caught' with those feelings over the past few days .. I know you have a closer tie to Carol than some of us, and, it's so hard to lose a friend.

Take care everyone

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9169633

Can't believe that I didn't get to DG at all yesterday. Needless to say, this was an important stop this morning now that I'm getting back to normal activities. Definitely will stop by to say "Hello" if she's still with us on Friday.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9169734

Joannabanana has linked to this thread for info on Carol - Thank You Joanne!
It's a better way to do it than to create a new thread.

ViAnn - let's hope you can visit Carol on Friday - I know that would make her day
violist
Calgary
Canada

June 18, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9169865

Thank you so much for sharing my message wit Carol, Susan. I am known as Theresa to Carol. I am hoping to see her Friday when I get home. Ann, if you have time to meet it would be a pleasure. Theresa

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9169892

Theresa, I did tell Carol your name when she first thought I was going to say ViolaAnn, and told her it was Theresa who sent the message.
I pray with all my heart that she will still be here on Friday so we can all see her.
Edm Ann... I'm taking your message to Carol this morning, as I'm going right now.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9170069

Ok Everyone
I'm heading to Calgary This minute and will take your wishes with me.
Hospice knows I'm coming and said Carol is still with us.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9170103

Yes Ann - I just got home from visiting Carol - So glad you're coming to visit her!!

I saw Wilma at the Hospice, and she said Carol wants there to be a Garden Party at her home, for one last time.
Calgary Hort is arranging it, and everyone on her Contact List in Email is going to be invited. There is no set date yet, but as I'd lost Carol's email when my computer got replaced earlier this year, I wasn't sure if she still had my email. I gave it to Wilma.
Carol enjoyed the messages I gave from ViolaAnn, and ABAnn.

I'm so pleased I got to see Wilma again, and confirm my contact info for the Garden Party.
Also, someone (not Wilma) stayed with Carol all night, so there's always someone with her in case she passes, and won't "go alone". The person just sits quietly with her, and that's all Carol needs sometimes - the assurance that she's not alone. I gather that's why she "welcomes visitors" as the nurse told me the other day.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 7:03 PM

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 8:19 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9170170

Susan - let's hope that the knowledge I'm coming out to Calgary will keep her going awhile longer.

And thank you for the guidelines. I'm not very good at visiting terminally ill patients - haven't done much of it, though I wish I'd known my back fence neighbour of over 30 years was really ill this past winter (she didn't even tell her adult daughter who lives in Victoria). I don't think I'd have made those particular faux pas, but one never knows, so reminders are never out of place.

Theresa, I'd LOVE to meet you, but I can't really say for sure. My time will not be my own. We will be at the Delta Bow Valley with some extended family, including DH's cousin from Brussels and the service is at 11 on Friday at Grace Lutheran. Likely an Internment of ashes somewhere and DH may want to visit the cemetery where is parents' ashes are. I'll talk to DH when he gets home this evening - he's been in Portland , OR since last Wednesday at a conference of the American Historical Society of Germans From Russia and while there also visiting his 96 yr-old aunt - elder sister of the aunt who passed away.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9170182

sorry ViolaAnn, didn't mean to sound harsh - I was really venting because I am so cautious around those that are ill or aged - always have been. I never want to forget that first of all they're humans with all the feelings involved, Then secondly, they're ill. I've seen the pain in a terminally ill person's eyes when they feel "overlooked" by those talking about them, rather than to them. It's tempting, when there are 2 visitors, and the ill person is not up to much conversation to walk that thin line between expecting them to join in the conversation (they're too weak to, likely) and monopolizing the conversation / excluding them.
My reading notes of love and care from those here solicited no expected response - she listened. And so I didn't feel it was tiring her, just giving her pleasure.

I truly hope your coming to Calgary is something she's able to hang on for - I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is...
I wish I'd been able to tell Carol that ABAnn was coming too, but she'll be able to see her, and the Hospice will likely pass on the message to her :-) I'm Really pleased that ABAnn is coming!!

ViolaAnn - Is the 96 yo aunt fully aware her sister has passed, and will she be coming to the memorial?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9170243

Susan - I didn't think you sounded harsh at all. Those reminders need to be said. And it's particularly valuable for people like me who don't have a lot of experience in that capacity.

The 96 yr-old aunt is fully aware and doing quite well (those increasing hard of hearing with no hearing aids), but after a fall last summer in which she shattered an elbow - which might have been caused by a tiny stroke, she decided not to live by herself any longer. She also decided to stop traveling. For years, she came to Vancouver regularly because she could travel better than Aunt Esther (and could likely afford it better too).

We saw her last year at Christmas time and she was doing well, though she now uses a walker much of the time as a precaution. I think if she wanted to, she could still travel, but there's no way she would stoop to asking for a wheelchair in the airports.

BTW, what is the museum at which Carol volunteered? I might suggest it to DH as an interesting place to go.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 18, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9170250

Ann, hope this is the correct !

http://www.lougheedhouse.com/

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 2:54 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9170279

That's the correct Lougheed House, Betty.
I never saw any flowers from them at the Hospice. I wonder if they know...? I'll call them to make sure
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9170627

Susan,

I know your heart is in the right place, but you need to back off a bit with Carol's affairs. She is very well taken care of and has many close friends around her. There are many people visiting her, people that she has known for years & years. This sudden drastic change in health was unexpected even for Carol. She had called me to help with her baskets & work on her roses only 2 weeks ago. Shoot, the Saturday before she went into the hospice, she ask me to move a rose and plant up some recent perennial purchases. What I'm trying to say, is that there is a huge amount of people that would like to visit since the last 2 weeks.

It is awesome that you spent extra time reading & just sitting, but please have some extra appreciation for all her close friends. Everyone is trying to have a visit with her, and there are only so many visiting minutes in a day.

You don't need to worry about the Lougheed House, of course they know.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 4:59 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9170642

Just checking in and am so happy to read that ABAnn will be visiting Carol.
Most of you know I am a Hospice nurse (retired and now a Hospice volunteer) Everyone wants to do so much .. you should always check with the staff . Sometimes 'clients' just haven't the strength to express their wishes. The one sense that becomes quite acute in the terminal stages is hearing .. muted sounds are best.
As always, my thoughts and prayers are with Carol. She certainly is being well cared for.

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9170646

yes, I know Lougheed house knows.
As for her affairs, I know those people who have known her for years are capably handling everything.
All I wanted to do was visit her, and let others here know what's up (cuz they asked).
When I go and there's no one there, I sit quietly and only read her notes that people have asked me to pass on. Takes maybe 1/2 minute.
btw - I asked the Hospice staff several different ways about visiting "good times" because I didn't want to "collide" with others who wanted to see her, and they told me she said if anyone calls, she's welcoming visitors.
I will respect her close friends, and leave them the time to visit her.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 5:22 PM
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

June 18, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9170652

I am from the Peony group. Very sorry to hear about Carol. 'FancyVan'. Please pass my thanks to the many people that are taking care of Carol and helping her furries. If there will be memorials after she has gone to the Great Garden please let me know as I would like to contribute in her memory, peonies or otherwise.

Let her know I am thinking of her.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9170677

What is your name ah3815?
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

June 18, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9170695

Alana Holste, live in Kansas City, Missouri. I am an active peony collector and have enjoyed Carol's pictures and comments since I joined Daves Garden. I think she only knows me from my signon name.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9170709

Ok, we will get the message to her. Her collection of peonys look awesome this year. Lots of buds and with such a big collection there are many that bloom at different times.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9170740

Joanna - I'm not sure that you know why Lougheed house was being discussed. I asked about it because I had though I might like to visit and since I will be in Calgary for DH's Aunt's memorial on Friday and still there most of Saturday, I thought I might actually get a chance to visit, but I couldn't remember what is was called.

Since the memorial service is at the church next to the Hospice, I will try to see Carol if she is up to it.

(Vi)Ann
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9170846

Ann,

Yes, I seen why it was brought up, and yes, it is a great place to visit with a lot of interesting history + beautiful gardens. It would be awesome if you are able to see Carol on Friday. She will really enjoy that. Have a safe trip.

Joanne

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9171065

"People say true friends must always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands because they know the other hand will always be there."
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9171213

Smiling here as my one lonesome deep pink Peony has a gorgeous bloom on it, and many more to follow ^_^
Think of Carol each time I look at it, and, if I wasn't such a 'weenie' re ANTS in the house, I'd bring in a boquet .. but, weenie I am LoL

Carol must be so comforted by the response of her friends and neighbours .. a good feeling to have at life's end.

More rain on the way to us .. so NOT needed .. hope those of you in the east can handle the oppressive heat coming your way.

Say .. way back up there in the thread .. there was mention that a seperate thread 'for Carol/about Carol' was going to evolve .. have I missed it ?

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9171339

no, you didn't miss it, Marilyn - Joanne put a link to here, as a separate thread, and called it "FancyVan and her Shelties". It's simply a link to here, and that's a better way to do it than to copy paste certain parts of the conversation.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9171377

Good Morning folks
Had the opportunity to drive to Calgary yesterday and visit with Carol. She is very frail and looked very small in the bed. For the most part she was calm and would open her eyes on occasion and I felt that she recognized me. Wilma said she knows just too weak to respond. Talked very quietly letting her know how she had inspired me with different things she has done and how that has influenced my life. Let her know that the baby robins were falling from the trees, she and I had a thing about that when she stayed at my place. And how getting to know her dogs instilled a love for Shelties with my daughter. But mostly I just sat and held her hand, she held mine back. Her breathing is labored and she is resting a lot but when Carol opened her eyes they were bright.

Got to meet Wilma who is very wonderful! I thanked her for being with Carol , they are ensuring she is not alone.

Susan , sorry I missed your number, Just got up from work and went. Huggs from here ((( )))
Alberta Ann
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9171382

Carol has passed away last night. So glad that Susan and Ann visited her at the Hospice.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9171385

I'm glad you got to see Carol - that's the one thing I neglected to mention - she's got very bright and aware eyes. She knows exactly what's going on.
Did you head right back home to Edmonton after seeing her? wow - that's an 8-hour round trip!
You're right - Wilma is wonderful (as are her other friends here) for looking after her. The Hospice seems like a very caring, open place, and Carol is in the best of care.

If I were to get a dog (unlikely) but I know it would be a Sheltie. A neighbour of mine has one, and it's a beautiful brown merle. These aren't a usual colour, but brown it is!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9171387

oh... cross-posted... Thank you for posting, Joanne. She's out of pain and in a better place, with her Fancy.
Will there be a memorial.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9171414

HESITATED opening this thread this morning!!

There are no words, world is minus and earthly angel this morning..

Hugs to all of you, know she was special to each of you

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9171437

I'm so sorry to hear of Carol's passing. We often chatted about our dogs...(I have a veggie garden eating sheltie too)
I'm sure she's now with her lovely Fancy and they are enjoying a fantastic reunion.

Here's her Memory Garden Thread if anyone wants to post their thoughts: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265912/

When someone gets the details on the service, let me know and I'll add those to the first post. If there is an on-line guest book, I'll place the link for that as well.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9171467

Thank you, Melody. I've posted a picture of her at Lougheed House, in the dining room, with my Mom in 2009.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9171569

Ab Ann, you will NEVER regret your spontenaity re going to visit .. what a wonderful memory.

RIP Carol .. I will only ever smile when I think of her

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9171732

Timing is everything.
On the way home last night I had a moment when everything lightened and it was raining and a rainbow came out. I was thinking it was Carol saying so long for now. I did tell her I will see her later in another garden. I am glad that I went to see her.

Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9171742

OK. I posted over on the memorial thread, but I'm SURE I posted something here too. Not here. Must be imagining things. I regret that I won't get to see Carol on Friday, but I'm happy she's at peace. We will miss her.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9171861

ViolaAnn - you did post something, but in another thread... maybe in the other Canadian Gardening thread...
Carol's giving Fancy a hug right now, I know. She so missed her Fancy, and now they're together - happy and pain free.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 20, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9172455

Perhaps we should start a new thread ?
I would do it, but not before I ask as this one has become sort of a 'memorial to Carol' .. altho there is another thread for that.

Conditions re flooding (more) and basements filled with water are again in the news this morning here in the TBay area :-(
It has been raining constantly since about 5pm Tuesday ..
AND .. poor Piper got SKUNKED last night .. fulll in his wee face .. quite the commotion ..

SO .. if anyone feels they'd like to start another thread, please do so .. or .. I can do it later today before I embark on the Ark !!

~M~

This message was edited Jun 20, 2012 7:29 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9172553

Moved us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266039/
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9202351

I wondered why I didn't see dear Carol on the peony thread. I just learned of her illness today. We have corresponded many times. This is so sad.

Donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America