Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Advice on gourds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seerenity
Central Florida, FL

May 25, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9138257

I recently bought a pack of gourd seeds that said they were for crafts and drying -Large Bottle Calabaza gourd. The package did not say how large is large.

Last year we had to prune a crepe myrtle that was close to a power line and one of the branches was so neat that I saved it. So when I started to plant the gourds instead of using a conventional trellis I buried the 8' tall branch and planted four seedlings around it - great way to recycle. My vision was the vines would trail up the limbs and eventually I would have gourds hanging from the branches - like a gourd tree. My vision has come to fruition but I have a couple of questions

The plants had dozens of delicate white blooms, but only a small amount set fruit - is this natural? Is there a nutrient I could have added to help set more fruit?

Second - should I try to make some type of sling to help support the gourds? I don't know how large they will get or how much weight the stems can support. Any suggestions-ideas will be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Seerenity   Thumbnail by Seerenity   Thumbnail by Seerenity
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9138551

I believe that gourds have male and female blossoms like squash and the males out number the females by several times.

I can't tell you about a sling, I've always grow that sort of thing on the ground.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9140659

Doug is right, there are female and male flowers. you will be able to tell which flowers are which before they even open. females have a swollen ovary behind the petals, and males are normal.
and yes male flowers usually outnumber the females by a lot. sometimes they aren't open at the same time at all. but you are lucky.
ok, i know they get heavy and quite large but i don't know about using a sling, so you might want to pick them when you see them bending stems or obviously too heavy to be hanging -you know?
Seerenity
Central Florida, FL

June 6, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9154844

Thanks for the help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America