Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Advice on gourds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seerenity
Central Florida, FL

May 25, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9138257

I recently bought a pack of gourd seeds that said they were for crafts and drying -Large Bottle Calabaza gourd. The package did not say how large is large.

Last year we had to prune a crepe myrtle that was close to a power line and one of the branches was so neat that I saved it. So when I started to plant the gourds instead of using a conventional trellis I buried the 8' tall branch and planted four seedlings around it - great way to recycle. My vision was the vines would trail up the limbs and eventually I would have gourds hanging from the branches - like a gourd tree. My vision has come to fruition but I have a couple of questions

The plants had dozens of delicate white blooms, but only a small amount set fruit - is this natural? Is there a nutrient I could have added to help set more fruit?

Second - should I try to make some type of sling to help support the gourds? I don't know how large they will get or how much weight the stems can support. Any suggestions-ideas will be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Seerenity   Thumbnail by Seerenity   Thumbnail by Seerenity
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9138551

I believe that gourds have male and female blossoms like squash and the males out number the females by several times.

I can't tell you about a sling, I've always grow that sort of thing on the ground.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9140659

Doug is right, there are female and male flowers. you will be able to tell which flowers are which before they even open. females have a swollen ovary behind the petals, and males are normal.
and yes male flowers usually outnumber the females by a lot. sometimes they aren't open at the same time at all. but you are lucky.
ok, i know they get heavy and quite large but i don't know about using a sling, so you might want to pick them when you see them bending stems or obviously too heavy to be hanging -you know?
Seerenity
Central Florida, FL

June 6, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9154844

Thanks for the help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America