Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Organic Gardening: Use of coir in cactus mix

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Agnoman
San Dimas, CA

May 25, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9138459

I keep reading about the advantages of using coir (coconut fiber) as a replacement to peat when creating a cactus mix. I cannot find coir locally (it is sold as a compressed brick) but I do see coconut fiber liners which are used for hanging baskets. I was thinking of just buying a couple of these liners, mashing them up, and using them in my cactus mix - will this work?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9138792

What are the advantages you're reading about? The most significant advantage is coir is easier to rewet after moisture levels slip much below 30%, and that really much of an advantage because most good cacti mixes have very little coir OR peat because the small particle size of either/both supports too much water retention.

What I use for cacti & succulents:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla   Thumbnail by tapla
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Agnoman
San Dimas, CA

May 26, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9139428

Thanks for the response. I read that coir was better than for the reasons you stated. Also coir takes longer to decompose than peat, and is PH neutral rather than acidic like peat. I also read most commercial cactus mix isn't the best for the plants. I would like to know what you use in your mix? Your plants appear to be doing quite well.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9139458

Peat and coir break down at about the same rate, with peat getting a slight nod as slightly more stable. Their water retention curves are very similar. Neutral pH isn't something you would consider desirable for container media. Where a pH of 6.2 might be considered ideal for mineral soils (gardens), a full point lower, 5.2, is closer to ideal for container media, so using large fractions of coir in container media precludes the use of dolomite as a liming agent, lest you end up with a pH so high it renders many or most of the micro-nutrients unavailable. Coir also has a very high K content, which needs to be considered and allowed for in your fertilizer regimen or the excess K can cause problems with the uptake of P, Ca, or Z.

I use a mix of

1 part screened Turface MVP
1 part screened pine or fir bark
1 part grower grit (crushed granite) or #2 cherrystone (quartzite)

It's the most productive soil I've ever grown in, as well as the easiest and most forgiving. I have (literally) hundreds of long term planting in the soil pictured. Read more about it and learn why, here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073399/

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America