Lawn Drip Irrigation: A few problems....

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

I had quite a bit of drip line left over after installing a system in my rose garden, so purely for kicks, I installed a system in my front yard. Yard is about 40' in width x 60' in length. I ran 2 lines down each side of the yard, and connected 6 equally spaced line to each end line. The system is on a timer, and does use a pressure regulator, filter, and backflow device, plus flush valves in 2 locations.
This works well, but I do get areas of thicker growth around the water lines, and when I mow, you can surely see the streaking where the lines are located. Any suggestions would be appreciated; the only solution I can think of is to double the number of lines across the yard, or possibly run the lines in a semi-circular manner every 10' or so (yes, that would take a lot of line) in order to more evenly distribute the water. That's the big problem with this system. I mainly did this because the front yard is relatively unshaded most of the day, and in these hot Texas summers, one has no yard if some measures aren't taken.

Thumbnail by scottishgent Thumbnail by scottishgent
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I dunno, write your name or draw a smiley face?

It doesn't look bad at all. I'm not a big fan of monoculture lawns, so I'd probably try varying the species mix inversely with distance from the line, but that's probably weird.

Drip is so much more efficient than spraying, but maybe some of those microsprayers would be good if the lines are really bugging you?

Bismarck, ND

I've been experimenting with drip irrigation for a couple of years in my veg garden (in fact this year my whole garden) and I found there is a difference between microsprayers. A "mister" can either be one that shoots out something like a fine spray and not very controllable, or a stationary head that shoots out a full 360 degree area but in single small streams. The one I'm finding works more like I want is a rotary style from Mister Landscaper (http://secured.misterlandscaper.com/products/305-drip-irrigation-mister-full-circle-5ft-7ft-diameter-island-gardens.aspx). This was part of my first system that I got it at Lowes but they don't carry it any more, at least in Bismarck, ND. Its still gpm efficient and gives nice even coverage.

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the replies. DanSt, I surely may try the device you have a link to; they look like they would work great, and give great coverage and efficiency as you've stated. I'm glad there are others 'out there' who like to experiment and just try some things that may seem wild and far out (although this is pretty tame:)). I was going to double the number of lines, and use 12" spaced drippers instead of the 18" ones I now have. That may have done the trick, and with the drip line becoming less expensive, it wouldn't be that difficult if I wanted to just experiment with that too. Has anyone noticed that the drip line is now about $100/250', whereas, 3 years ago, when I purchased it, it was about that for 100'. The new line looks a little different, but I haven't been able to determine if the quality has been reduced, or if the price has dropped because much greater quantities are being produced. The line I replaced in my rose garden was still in A-1 shape after 3 years (and a lot of liquid fertilizer going through it too), much to my surprise !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images