Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Where are the Hummingbirds?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 40, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9140330

I haven't seen any this year and I've got red salvia they love planted everywhere!
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9140350

X,
I'm a little north of Wilmington here and I have HBs visiting my yard everyday. Salvia, fushia, gladiolus and the feeders... not sure why they wouldn't have hit you up already down south but I wanted to let you know that they are up this far.

Mike
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9140552

Hmm .. I'm wondering why I haven't seen any!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9140591

My father has also been wondering where the hummingbirds have gone. He had some at his feeders earlier in the season, but none lately. Could they be nesting?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9143581

I have seen none either, up here in the Midlands Saluda county. This is my 2nd year for HB feeders, and am looking forward to them. I did have a peacock show up last week. He stuck around for 2 days, but no way do we have enough to feed him on 1 acre. He moved next door. They have lots of yard birds, goats etc.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden   Thumbnail by moxies_garden   Thumbnail by moxies_garden   Thumbnail by moxies_garden   Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mtk40
Pinehurst, NC

June 4, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9151254

I am in Pinehurst and have hummingbirds at the feeder constantly.. the migrants showed up around the end of March - beginning of April and right now it appears that the ones frequenting the feeder and plants are going to stay around. I usually have at least one nest a year.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9154669

We usually have hummers year round but they have disappeared and I have seen none since February

Lavina
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9154781

I still haven't seen any at all this year!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9158880

I finally saw my first one this year. The other day, one flew to the feeder..but because the peacock was close by, he didn't stop. The peacock was almost under the feeder.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9159036

I am still keeping my feeded full, and its going down nectar wise
Lets hope I see them before long they make me feel peaceful
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9159129

Still none here.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9159400

Spotted a large hummingbird this morning - hope there are more to come.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9161744

I'm in upstate SC. I had one little girl earlier, but she quit visiting. I think I'll change out the feeder contents, just in case she didn't like it. I'm sad she's gone ;(
JaneJabbour
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9164119

Saw a hummer today perched on the tip of a cassia limb, then working over the red canna lilies. Keep looking, Xeramtheum. By the way, my little hobby nursery has gotten inexplicably big! Still concentrating on propagating natives--realizing that the "learning curve" is infinite! Take care, Jane
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9167320

finally, walked out the door and whamo a hummer, not my buddy from last year who stalked me when the feeder was empty but a hummer none the less.

Lavina
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9167409

Sigh .. STILL haven't seen any!
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 19, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9172254

Haven't seen one hummer yet this year! But it's still early. We usually get a flood of them in late summer/early fall, but usually have the occassional visitor by now. We haven't seen any yet. Buntings galore, however! They banded 25 of those pretty birds last week, and coming back for more banding next week... Fun to watch those kids (to me) from UNCW handle those little birds...they're really good, and a fountain of knowledge!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9173517

We heard a program on the painted bunting banding, it is interesting. We have a mess of them down here and we also have many, many hummers. I do not use feeders for the hummers but just plant lots of bright flowers. Right now they are loving some bright orange nasturtiums which will be gone soon but other flowers will come along.
BSD
Conway, SC

June 20, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9173569

I have only seen one or two. They have visited my crocosmia ( Luccifer), red pentas, and the Harlequinn honeysuckle. I am like ardesia, they seem to go to the flowers and seldom visit the feeders. Usually, it is July/August before we see many.
Let us know what flowers you have that the hummers visit.
Harlequinn honeysuckle is a magnet for hummers.

Thumbnail by BSD
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9174108

Bouvardia ternifolia
Nasturtiums
Erythrina bidwillii
Jatropha integerima
Scarlet runner beans

All these work for me.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9178804

Finally saw one this morning and he came back this afternoon!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9178953

They're here! I saw several today buzzing around a perennial garden in my backyard this morning.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9179029

Wonder why they are so late?
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9179502

Fingers crossed that Debby does not come our way, I think our rainy weather may have kept them in hiding
Lavina
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9179739

No, they were just hanging out at my house. :-)))))))

My son and his family were visiting and he could not get over how many we had, he must have mentioned it a dozen times.

I think you are on to something Lavinia, unlike most other areas this year, we have been in a drought, perhaps they prefer the drier spots. We'll see what happens after Debby goes by, it is already raining a little bit here.

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9179802

Got lucky and had a pop up thunderstorm dump a quick 1.55" yesterday afternoon, and haven't seen any hummingbirds since. The rain certainly hasn't deterred the zillion japanese beetles from munching on their preferred menu of cannas, crepe myrtles, roses, hibiscus, etc.

Sorry, hummers, but hoping for another pop up storm today before the 95+ degree weather arrives later this week.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9179944

I saw one this morning and now it's raining like crazy. Was only able to get the front yard mowed.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 25, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9180782

We saw our first Hummer of the season this morning (Ruby Throated). Feeders will be hung first thing tomorrow...
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9181394

Here on the East Coast we are supposed to have them year round but they stopped comming to my house After Irene passed thru. So I hope they are here to stay.
PS I had to refill my feeded last night
Lavina
CS28557
Morehead City, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9182591

I'm seeing hummingbirds almost daily here in my yard in Morehead City--mostly females, occasionally a male. I know that they are around here year round, although I don't see too many in the late fall, winter or very early spring. They are a delight to see and hear! We have also had many more birds of various species in the yard so far this summer than last summer.

Claudia
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 26, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9182774

Put out 3 H'bird feeders today. The interesting thing to me was they "KNEW" where their feeders were supposed to be (where they were in years past), and expectantly buzzed around the area looking for their food! How dey "Know" dat? So much for "birdbrains"...
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9183121

Saw more today! They are definitely back.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum   Thumbnail by Xeramtheum   Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9204971

I have bunches of them now...so many that I went and bought 2 extra feeders. They are a joy to watch.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

July 14, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9205410

The Hummers are back now in their usual numbers here. Don't know why they were so late this year. I plant a lot of stuff for them to feed on (they definately seem to prefer Honeysuckle!), but they also hit a bunch of others (Salvia, Iochroma, Araugia Sericofera, etc,) but during the recent heavy rain we had here, they LANDED on the feeders during the rain instead of just staying in the air and feeding, which they usually do, and I didn't see any around the flowers. The feeders have a perch for them to light on which they usually don't use during normal weather, but they sure do during a nasty storm!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9205462

I've got 2 regulars .. one sits and drinks and the other hovers.
sos210_14
Dillon, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9207422

I had a scare this spring when our first visiting hummer was almost swallowed by our cat, Domino. I heard Domino making a strange noise--a kind of throaty meow--and approached her to see what her problem might be. She had something like a stick protruding from her mouth and when I asked her what was wrong she opened her mouth to speak a real "Meow" and out flew our hummingbird! He flew straight up to the roof of our house and disappeared for several days. In spite of his trauma and near escape of death he came back and seems content spending the summer at our place.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9207460

Wow! That's amazing! For both of them!
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

July 19, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9211957

Ardesia---go to Painted Buntings. org---neat program. Use UNCW kids as their data collectors (low budget program). They're building an amazing database on this species, and it's kind of fun following these little charmers from year to year on this property (a lot of the same birds show up year after year!). I was gob-smacked this year when a hetero-sexual couple showed up to band. We'd always offer them a guest bedroom to stay in while they were here, but what to do now? Fortunately, we have more than one spare bedroom so the situation resolved itself;they actually slept in different bedrooms! Perhaps ALL is not lost with this younger generation...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9212087

LOL, I have been to that site and find (or found in the past) it was too unwieldy to input all the info they wanted. We heard the director of that program speak at Hunting Island a few years ago and you are correct, it is a neat program. I'll check the site again and see if they have improved it. It was like reinventing the wheel in the past, I just gave up. We usually have a number of couples along with plenty of green birds. I think we keep the West Ashley Wild Birds Unlimited in business with all the millet we buy this time of year.

Had a funny thing happen the other day. We have an indoor plant, a McColley's Finale Philodendron, and the new leaves are bright red. It was in a window and a hummer kept banging against the glass trying to get to those red leaves. I finally gave up and put the plant out on the deck so the poor bird could see it didn't have any nectar.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9215230

I had a solid green Hummer light on my hand Saturday. Never had this happen before. I was hanging up new food and he musta been in a hurry. I went in n got the camera n my battery is dead. Can't find the charger but have not seen the little one again all week end. Its as bad as the brown one that flew into my hair last year as I went down the steps . Now I know to check the feeded more often n not let it empty all the way.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9215436

Wow .. a few years ago I had a "special" hummingbird that would follow me around the back yard and try to stick his beak in my ear .. he finally succeeded - it was awful. I have to wonder if he lived long enough to add his "special" genes to the gene pool.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America