Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Starting a Vegetable garden in OPPRESSIVE HEAT

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Loki23
Bermuda Dunes, CA

May 27, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9140395

I live in Indio, CA. It's already 105+ several days it has been 110 ! YIKES . What crops can I start in this wonderful climate?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9140583

I used to live in South Florida and had to garden during the winter months. Perhaps this is true for you, too?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9140669

i dont mean to discourage you but that seems much to hot (and im guessing dry?) for vegetables. extreme temperatures denature the necessary microscopic parts of plants and then they cant make food etc.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5731840_grow-vegetables-southwest.html
this looks helpful
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9141087

You need to garden in the fall.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

May 27, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9141215

Okra loves the heat.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9141261

Okra was one that came to mind here. Also sweet potatoes and Malabar spinach vine. Of course all would take extra care with watering. Also many that garden in the hotter climates will put up shadecloth to protect the plants from the intense sun.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

May 28, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9141595

And, IMHO, in your area's dry air and summer sun load, heavy mulching is crucial to maintaing soil mositure..
Coons48
Corpus Christi, TX

May 28, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9142403

Dont worry to much about the heat!

I live in South Texas and we are getting 95 degree days this early. I have a garden patch that only gets 3 hours of sun and its doing great. I planted Tami G grape tomatoes and they are producing faster than my family and our neighbors can eat. Also have several peppers that are doing quite well.

I think the high UV allows 3 hours to be effective...Just a guess of course and the shade protects it from an all day hot sun...

So give it a shot, if you have an area around the house that receives a short amount of sun it worth a go at it, I did.

Also you can give the classic southern plant the Cowpea AKA black eyed pea a chance. They grow well in poor soil and take the heat...

This message was edited May 28, 2012 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by Coons48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mindyrecycles
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9144241

Okra, peppers, and green beans should be okay to plant now. Sunflowers, too, for fun. Lots of mulch, daily water.

Mindy in scorching Tucson
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

June 3, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9151132

You can work up your soil, add lots of organic material then mulch around your plants once planted and watered. The mulch will keep the soil cooler and hole moisture. You will have to water well regularly. What kind of crops do the farmers there grow this time of year? that would give you a clue as to what is possible. You can also utilize shade on your property to keep the garden cooler. You will not likely grow lettuce well but peppers, tomatoes eggplant all might do well with a little experimenting
greenstubbs
Vacaville, CA

June 17, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9168811

Whatever you plant now from seed I don't think will take as it's to hot to germinate. Being up State from you I know how the weather is as yesterday we hit 103 and today they're saying hi 90's. I'm at the stage of the season that I have to pitch a shade cloth over my cucks, squash's as they just wilt from the sun and heat. Surprising that within a hour of doing this the plants are happy happy. You may have to do the same.
austen2001
Summit, SC

June 23, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9177129

I live in SC, and it gets almost as hot here in the summer too... but tomato plants are heat - loving plants and are relatively easy to grow.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9177189

Tomatoes will grow well in the heat but won't set fruit when temps are too high. At least I haven't found any that will yet. Now, to keep them alive till fall when they will start fruiting again.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9177705

Indio-Coachella, Ca dry dry heat, all night long. Most of the gardening is done in the lower valleys farther hidden from that stretch of sweltering. Like out toward Blythe, or south- you are going to need to create a micro climate to nurture thru summers. And the nights get so cool everywhere but there! I was thru there a few weeks ago, 109* til 2 am, had to go find sunscreen. Some herbs will do okay there-with shade and attention, but winters are better gardening.
jwgold
Fallbrook, CA

June 24, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9178052

I live in Fallbrook , Ca and its hot here, I try to work early in the mornings
or late after noon. I water in the mornings. I plant mainly, beans , Tomatoes,
peppers, squash, cucumber. I hope this will help you, because of the high temps I recommends not trying to work to long in the SUN. Good luck in your garden...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America