Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: What's up with my poppy?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9140751

I bought this poppy this year: http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=771

It sets buds, but then they just dry up and the leaves are looking pale and sickly. I checked for mites and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any suggestions?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9160006

I hope it isn't too late, but maybe its the soil? My poppies did terrible in my front yard with bad soil, and in the fertile soil out back, the did just wonderful, they are still blooming even right now .
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 11, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9160658

The Poppy's you have are bread for gardens and therefore require a nice rich soil with added compost / manure added to the planting area and hole you intend to place the plants into, this type of soil helps feed the long roots these plants grow and also helps keep air and moisture into the root area. Poppie's are greedy plants, and when grown on very poor soil the do develope the symptoms you are discribing but hey, there is always the exception to the rule and am sure other can come in and say, "well my poppies grow anywhere, mine do because after several years of the plants maturing, they have self seeded into the grave paths and after a couple of month there I have to lift them as they deteriorate quite quickly,

Maybe you still have time to carefully lift your plants up and add some compost / other matter that will improve the soil or even move the plants to another spot all together. Poppies are plants that expand in size each year and after several years you end up with nice large clumps with many flowering stems, sadly the flowers only last about a day or 2 but IF you deadhead them regularly the keep sending out more flowering stems,
IF you want to increase your plants after a few years do this by root cuttings (scrape away some earth around the roots, pick a nice root about as thick as a pencil, cut this out and place it into compost watered and kept in a cool area till you see shoots growing and repot till large enough to go out in the border) OR grow from seed. (when the poppy seed heads start to turn brown and are looking like they are dried out, remove the seed head, slace this in a paper bag and gently shake all the MINUTE seeds out, there will be hundreds, when you sow the seeds, I dont cover them till I see little green tips and even then I'd rather not cover them, after 2 sets of leaves come, repot the little plants individually till they can be grown outside.
Hope all this helps you understand your plants and also how to care for them.
Good luck hope it's not toooooo late for you.
WeeNel.
Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9163412

I already held grave-digging services for the po' thang, but thanks for the future help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America