Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

GE Refrigerator w/water filter inside...!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure what genius at GE came up with the ideal of placing the water filter for ice and water inside the refrigerator, but we were really fortunate after we had initially purchased ours; the filter froze and cracked, and of course, water was everywhere. We were really lucky to have been home at the time, and to have seen the leakage and shut the water off pretty quickly.
I installed an external filter and unit that will shut off if the water flow becomes excessive; GE sent us a new filter, but, we weren't able to send the engineer who came up with this a new brain :) ! Seriously, I don't get this type of design; it had to be done for obvious economic reasons and easier manufacturing and assembly.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Your refrigerator is set too cold.

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Cathy166, that's kinda' obvious, 'honestly not trying to be cute here, but we both know refrigerators don't respond to control changes like the accelerator pedal of your car, and more to the point, the critique is with the totally off-the-wall design; why didn't GE place a cut-off thermostat on the filter if they knew this were a possibility, and it's surely a given that any reasonable person would know that could happen. Bad design, period.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Being in the business, we usually see this in the feed tube, not in the filter. Most people think colder is better. It may seem obvious to you, but not to everyone. Sometimes the smartest people have a roadblock. We usually get a call for no ice and/or leaking water. I agree that the location may not be perfect and a thermostat might solve the problem, but the manufacturers get cheaper and cheaper each year.

Some companies actually do something for the customer when they have a bad design; others don't. Nice that they sent you a replacement filter. If there is any room between the filter and the back wall, I'd try sticking in a piece of bubble wrap or thin foam liner. Anything so that it doesn't touch the back wall. Cans of soda often explode when stored against the back wall when customers go on vacation.

You are right that changing the cold setting is not instant. Expect it to take 24 hours for the temperature to stabilize when you change settings even when it starts to chill right away. And you can no longer expect a refrigerator to last 30 years. Those days are gone. Sometimes it's a tradeoff between what works best and what features you prefer.

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your advice and comments Cathy; you have a lot of knowledge in this area, and were kind enough to share it. That's one reason I like DG (and it's members) so much !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.