Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Tool Disinfectant?

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 27, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9140848

I need your advice regarding using a tool disinfectant. Wondering why a weird "witches' broom" cropped up in one of my Coral Drift rose bushes, I received, in the same week, my Virginia Gardener magazine (I think this was the magazine-could have been Fine Gardening too). Horror! Seems there is a mite that spreads a dreaded virus amongst carefree roses (!) that does this exact thing - and you have to just dig up the shrub and carefully destroy it in a plastic bag.
(I cut that weird "witches' broom" and put it in two plastic bags and right into my trash can.)

The article mentioned that it is spread easily with a pruning tool that is not disinfected between bushes. ACK! Guilty as charged! So now, I ask for your help. Thank you in advance!

And, so much for "carefree roses." This mite is increasing with the increased use of these landscape (and multiflora) roses. I sure hope I do not have these critters - because I am very concerned about my heirloom roses now!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9140898

I've never disinfected my pruners, but I'm sure that is small comfort. What rotten luck!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 27, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9140919

Thanks Happy_macomb! All I've heard about is they great benefits of these roses, and BANG! One article and I am humbled. The problem is that the article made way too much sense.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9140930

Really, you are awfully lucky you were able to diagnose the problem as soon as it arose!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 28, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9141352

Oh Happy -as soon as it "A-ROSE?" It's way too soon for this! LOL! Thank you and boy am I fortunate to subscribe to such magazines. Sure hope this does not lead to my ripping out those rose bushes -they are LOVELY.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9141436

LOL!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9144111

Worry about this stuff, it may help the farmer, but not the gardener. Especially if it reaches widespread use as a : Ric
"Biological Control
Rose rosette is a disease found in Iowa that can kill
multiflora rose plants. Symptoms of the disease include
witches’broom and development of stunted, red shoots.
Ongoing research at Iowa State University is evaluating
factors that affect the spread of rose rosette disease in
the field."
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM863.pdf

The vector for rose rosette is a mite.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 30, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9145359

I'll surely report if that "witch's broom" or any other weirdness grows on the one rose shrub. If it does, OUT IT GOES, and so does its companion rose shrub on the other side of the porch. Just makes me sick - stupid me, I thought that "carefree rose" MEANT "carefree rose." I was under the assumption that I had found the miracle rose. And something tells me that others think the same thing.
I bought a total of three of these beautiful, lush, "Coral Drift" rose bushes. So, as I said, we'll see. I am getting more and more suspicious of all the new varieties coming at us faster than we can part with our money, you know?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9145428

Gracye, have been meaning to post this for a while now.

Although this info on garden and tool hygiene is directed at the hosta HVX virus it should be standard operating proceedure for protecting our gardens and plants from viruses that will kill them and infect other plants without our due diligence. Paraphrasing what you said, the market place won't or hasn't protected us from these communicable plant diseases and it is likely to get worse.

Here is the link to "Cleaning and Disinfecting Tools" I've had it bookmarked for years now. Hope this helps all of us.
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=40921&sid=0a3132a8e4ad1cfda4ae9740d2dcc7b5
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 30, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9145456

Oh! Thanks coleup! Just what I was looking for!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9145501

As far as rose rosette virus, RRV
Here are several links to articles with good pictures of what this virus looks like on roses and current spread of disease in our area.

http://reddirtramblings.com/roses/rose-rosette-disease-and-oklahoma

and another
http://reddirtramblings.com/roses/rose-rosette-comes-to-rdr

and another
http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/?p=113

and one on Knockout Roses
http://www.spnursery.com/?p=1768

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 30, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9145546

Yep. That's it. I removed the offending limb, double-enclosed it in plastic bags, and sent it to the trash. But now I am very sad, for I know what I have to do. It ain't pretty. Lovely shrub, too. The other one, that matches it which is on the other side of the porch, must go as well, I'm sure. ACK! Thank you so much for your help, coleup. What a horrible disease.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9146437

Coleup -- do you really follow the instructions in that link every time you dig? I'd never get anything done if I did that much disinfecting! Hat's off to you if you do -- I just can't imagine myself being that careful.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 31, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9146789

We didn't have this disinfecting/disease problem when I was a kid. But seems that these days, a plant can be growing in Michigan one day, and it gets smashed in tightly with other poor souls, and it is in another State by the morning! We just carried seeds a bit of a distance back in the day, and started roses from Grandmother's old climbing rose, and divided iris and other perennials to share with others in the community, and everyone was happy. And everyone stood behind their word, and advice.

But this is the way of the world today. So much diversification, and lots of "trial and error" along the way. This Gardening Forum really feels like sharing amongst neighbors, as it used to be. More trustworthy and less isolated than much of the world today - no I am not typing from my IPhone...(get the point?)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9151371

Grayce
Don't know if you have seen this thread in the rose forum on rose rosette disease . Seems some others in our area have encountered this rose disease in their gardens last year . Some good info too. I appreciate and empathize with the process each individual goes through to identify and then solve a plant problem even if that means digging, bagging, disposing and disinfecting rather than our tendency as gardeners to save every plant or plant remnant!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232240/
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 4, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9152497

coleup - yes, I did, and thank you for giving me a second chance to have the information. I ripped out the two rose shrubs tonight, put each into a large lawn plastic bag, put my shovel and spade in a bleach solution, and threw away (sob) my gloves. I then used the big muck bucket (that had the bleach solution in it) to throw on the wheelbarrow.
Then, I planted two Soft Touch Hollies. Much better! Already I am happy. And I know that this winter, which is just around the corner, will see me even happier!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9152743

WOW!! did all that get to sounding complicated,and or (emotional! )
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9152871

Well, I was out inspecting my Roses as I thought I remembered some odd growth in the branching last year. Happy to say that I didn't seen anything odd or unusual, just that same old nasty black spot. All this rain hasn't done them much good.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 5, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9153736

Juhur7 - Yep, it WAS emotional, honestly, and I really liked those glove. But, almost impossible to disinfect leather. And, being raised by nurse-mother, I am very keen on disinfecting procedures - so...! But, as I was out watering my two new hollies (jeese they sure look like boxwoods to me), I was so appreciative of yesterday's work.

HollyAnnS - If I have helped you in some way, then my rose saga was worth it. My two new Hollies think so, anyway! LOL! And, I have Black Spot out the Wazoo with all of my roses (I have four Heirlooms and one of those shrub roses-it is on the other side of the house and I will watch it every day), so I just bought some Neem Oil...kinda like the scent - it is for Organic gardening, and so, appropriate for my Heirlooms - they are very sensitive to chemicals (killed one when I first got into them by putting systemic stuff in their ground - ignored the warning about them).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America