Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Help. I'm stumped.

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 27, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9141093

Five images of a raptor at the coast. I can't determine if it's a square-tailed kite, a black-breasted buzzard or a whistling kite. Any help with identification appreciated.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK
Click an image for an enlarged view.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9141113

looks like a spotted harrier

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9142198

It's a kite; my very strong inclination is to say Black Kite (mapped as wintering in the Perth area), but that's with my usual proviso that I'm not familiar with Australian natives and don't have an Aussie field guide, so only going by online pic searches. Square-tailed I'd think can be excluded as that has much more obvious barring on the primaries, and Whistling I'd think can be excluded as that has a rounded (not triangular-cornered) tail and prominent very pale inner primaries. Black-breasted Buzzard has a much heavier bill, and also white bases to its primaries.

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 28, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9142296

Thank you both.

Minnesippi. I had a close look at the spotted harrier and it seems a less bulky than this bird and this one's legs weren't prominent in flight.

Resin. I'm planning on going back down there this morning and will see if I can get some clearer shots. I just couldn't narrow it down from my ID books, but you're right about the triangular cornered tail.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 28, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9142625

I went back this morning and took some more shots.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 28, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9142626

The legs are pale grey and are tucked in during flight, only extending when they were coming down towards the water, which they touched with the tips of their claws before flying skyward again.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9143642

The new photos are a different bird (or birds!) - these are a Whistling Kite, compare the rounded tail with the triangular tail in pics 2 & 4 in the top post; also the difference in the pale inner primaries not shown in the first set, and the streaked, rather than spotted, breast.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OldNed

OldNed
Merritt Island, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9143870

Ditto to Resin on the 2nd bird..def. a Whistling Kite.

My guess on bird #1 is either Black Kite or a juvie Square-tailed Kite (beginning of white on the face?).
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 29, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9144294

Thanks, Resin and Old Ned. That shows the differences very clearly Resin. I did notice the difference in the tails, and wondered if I was seeing two different birds, but didn't pursue that thought any further. I didn't notice the wings - I just thought I'd captured more detail because I was closer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America