Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: White leaves on newly planted vegetables

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9141163

Last weekend, I planted the tomatoes, zucchini & cucumber I'd been growing in gallon pots. These were well established plants, some with roots growing out the bottom of the pots & I didn't plant them near the spots where I grew tomatoes last year.

One tomato immediately wilted & died - I'm talking overnight - never had that happen before. I'd watered it HEAVILY. Another has leaves that have turned white at the bottom. One of the zucchini also has leaves turning white at the bottom.

Is this some sort of fungus? I'd appreciate any ideas about how to treat the plants with white leaves.

Also, I bought a replacement tomato today & wonder if it's okay to plant it in the same spot, where the one that wilted was.

TIA for any advice!

Liz
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9141186

It sounds like sun scald or wind burn. How did you harden them off. the tomato I not as sure about. Maybe you damages the stem somehow when you transplanted it.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9141698

Hmmmm, we've had unusual winds here, so that makes sense. The tomato was in my "sunroom" (all glass room) before I planted it ... Thanks for the feedback Doug!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9142985

Liz - Too much water will kill plants faster than under-watering. Perhaps your tomato "drowned".

It is always a good idea to harden off plants before placing them in full sunlight.

I don't think a fungus would cause your leaves to turn white that quickly, but being bleached by direct sun will.

It's hard to say whether or not you should plant a new tomato where the other one died without looking at your soil. To be on the safe side, I would try a different spot.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9144202

The plant got full sun in my sunroom, through glass, which always seems hotter than outside to me. Hmmmm - didn't know a tomato could drown - this was just an initial watering after planting... Thanks for the feedback Honeybee!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9144523

The difference between being in a sun room and outside is twofold. One, the glass filters out the UV light and ,two, It protects the little plants from the wind and its drying effects.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9144649

The rays of the sun cannot penetrate the glass in the sunroom. Your plant was well protected, & when you placed it outside, it couldn't take the rays of the hot sun.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9144861

Yep, got sunburned. You need to get the plants used to the sun little by little.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9144920

I normally harden off my transplants at least for one all week or more before I plant them outdoor.
I keep them under the shade of the porch for a few days and I gradually move them to the sun ... and I am talking Texas sun ...
It works well in this way for me
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9145048

The good news is the tomatoes will grow more leaves that tolerate the sun and I assume so will squash.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9145129

Okay, I guess I learned an important lesson! Thanks much everyone!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9146368

Hardening plants off to out door conditions is very important, however it's usually not deadly. It may set the plants back some but they should recover. With squash they grow fast and can always be direct seeded.

Like Honeybee said too much water is deadly too. I lost 1 tomato plant this year and it was in a low spot. The night I planted it rained like crazy, it was wilted the next day and dead a few days later..

I'm still planting out tomato plants tho. I have about 50 planted but I keep digging holes and planting plants. I think I need prof. help. Lol. A wind storm came thru last night and blew over my bean and cuke supports, so far everything looks OK. It was the strangest thing it was just like a regular storm but no rain...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9146376

1Lisac,
You ever seen the movie "Holes," with Sigourney Weaver? It might just cure you! LOL!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9146468

That's my oldest son's favorite movie I have seen it hundreds of times. Yes, I think about it every time I dig a hole. Lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9146505

I LOVE THAT MOVIE! LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America