Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily Pics 144

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243309/
We continue from there.

Amazing it is now already 144. Hundreds of lovely pictures shared all the way through. Very enjoyable, worthwhile and a learning experience, as always. Agree?

I'm delighted to start this with a little Lynx Spider protecting its egg case.
It came and crawled on to my finger as I tried to hold the little branch, trying to see if there is any danger. When I moved the finger, in a flash, it was on the case... it had connected a silk from there to swing there! You can see the silk.

The first shot was taken from the Canon 550d, the second from my Lumix FZ8 on macro setting.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Wonderful shots!

1. Wood Sorrel or Oxalis
2. Flowering Almond

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Almond is heavenly!
My oxalis deppeii also is in bloom.
Jasmines finished blooming.

Memphis, TN

Beautiful, just beautiful! Mike, the Sorrel is so lovely. Dinu, splendid shots and wonderful photography on the spider, but I must admit I'm a little "creeped out" by them. Jubilada will love them.

Thank you for starting a new thread for us, Dinu. I agree, there's no end to the new things I learn here!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Dinu, thanks so much for starting the new thread! And, I love those spider shots! Wow! Also think that oxalis deppeii shot is fabulous!

DW Mike, glad to "see" you again, and your pictures are just breathtaking!

BeaHive, glad to see you back, too, and, as usual, your great photographs!

Here are some from my community garden plot today ...

Snail on cardoon leaf
Shirley Poppy 1
Shirley Poppy 2
Lauren's Grape Poppy with Bee ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jubilada. Love the poppies! They are fantastic. Still waiting on a bunch to bloom up here. Come on sunshine!!

Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks all!! ....Love that "Lauren's Grape Poppy with Bee"

1 Zinnia
2 Male and female crab spider waiting for breakfast.
3 Sweat bee on a sunflower
4 "Joseph's Coat" Rose
5 "Joseph's Coat" Rose

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Memphis, TN

Your Joseph's Coat Rose is quite a sight to behold, DWMike!

1. Sedum (I don't remember what variety it is)
2. Elderberry blossoms
3. Elephant Garlic blossom
4. Magnolia blossom
5. Magnolia cones

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Grape poppy - nice! Not to mention the bee inside it!
Magnolia cone - the colours in it is beautiful - sharp picture too! Liked it.

~Two hibiscus flowers dangled like this 3 days ago.
~The 'Guardener' taking a break!
~Can you believe that the 210-220 tiles were arranged by that gardener, solo and from underneath? My new shed.
~Potter Wasp nest. Found it on a bottle cap kept on a shelf. Neat work that!
~My favourite Clitoria Double Blue.

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

You all post some wonderful shots!! And thanks for the kind words. Here's a few more from my files, hope y'all enjoy them.

1 This little damsel came to visit my garden the other day. She's on my index finger.
2 Eastern Pondhawk
3 Ailanthus webworm moth - Atteva-aurea
4 Ladybird

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I love seeing all these great and so colorful pictures.

Edith Wolford, Autum Circus ,Stellar lights and Fatal attraction were my four favorite blooms of the day.

Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive Thumbnail by BeaHive
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

The fish ladder on the Town river, West Bridgewater, MA at the hight of tree pollen season.
A high iron content tints the water. This iron settled into bog iron deposits used in Colonial days for tools & pots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron
This sight is part of an early land purchase by the Pilgrims from the Massasoit Indians in 1649.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Memphis, TN

Andy, that's incredible! Beautiful place and fascinating history.

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Andy - beautiful place, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get in the car and go exploring.
I've been cleaning up my flower garden today . . . these are two little friends I made.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Great photos, all ... DWMike, love those crab spiders! Miss Mary, gorgeous Magnolias up close! Dinu, great dangling Hibiscus! Beahive, wonderful Irises! Andy, interesting shot of the pollen on the water! Domehomedee, darling frog, and elegant snail!

From my garden this morning:

My "small" cardoon plant in its little pot in the front yard
Shelf Fungi on an old oak log
"Pink Lace" Monarda
Baby KatyDids posing on an apricot "Profusion" zinnia
Leonotis Leonoris

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

My First Sunflowers this season:
Moulin Rouge #1
Moulin Rouge #2

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada

I'm jealous you have sunflowers. I'm glad I planted Moulin Rouge though, can't wait for it to bloom!
#1 - New leaf sculpture
#2 - Epi bloom
#3 - Foxtail lily bloom

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Memphis, TN

What a treat, Jubilada! I remember seeing those Moulin Rouge Sunflowers last year at Dixon Gardens. They were gorgeous.
Domehomedee, your sculpture is very nice. Did you make it? That Foxtail Lily is spectacular!

1. The blurred reflection you see in this bee's eye is me with my camera / tripod.
2. Here's another one, on my Sedum.
3. Dragonfly
4. Balloon Flower, close-up and personal
5. Pyracantha espalier

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Mary, what wonderful bee shots!
Yes, I did make the sculpture, it is about 2' x 3' and I think I may make a couple more. It would be great to have three of these in one area . . . it would give you the feeling of being small in a garden of giant leaf litter! I made it for the California quail to drink out of, we have sooo many new baby quail in our yard. Well, I can't seed anything directly in the ground or it becomes quail food!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Domehomedee, that Foxtail Lilly is fabulous! I'm still waiting for some pictures of those little quail ... I really miss them here in our gardens. They haven't been around for years ... and yes, they really do a number on the greens!

Miss Mary, those are some bee shots, all right! And, that Pyracantha espalier is very interesting.

Here are some shots from my garden ...

Leonotis seed head
Chinese Rue blossom
Fortnight Day Lilies in the evening
Busy Bees in an heirloom poppy

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

My youngest flower found the perfect wedding dress today. She cried when the veil was placed on her head. Sweet moments!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

BeaHive, that is some picture ... a real treasure!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

BeaHive, Very nice. The photographer is also not missed in that shot!

Jubi, Very sharp pictures again. All others above are lovely.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

BeaHive, Very nice. The photographer is also not missed in that shot!

Jubi, Very sharp pictures again. All others above are lovely.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow go on vacation and look what happens, so much to catch up on. I had to look at everything twice....great shots everyone!

DWMike, thank you for the ID on my bug (Leaf-Rolling Weevil) and OMG your photos are absolutely awesome...will enjoy them, so glad you're back.

Beehive that is so sweet and I love the expression on her face...you just feel it.

1. While I was on vacation found these wild orchids growing in an oak while out riding my bike around the island.
2. & 3. Lots of seashells
4. While kayaking we spotted this Rosette spoonbill, a rare site to see, they are pretty shy birds, had to zoom in on it.
5. White Egret didn't mind us kayaking right next to it while trying to catch his dinner.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

A load of great pics!! Thanks to all for sharing.
BeaHive, I like that "Fatal Attraction".....
Jubilada the Leonotis Leonoris is great.... I love them Fortnight Day Lilies and the Busy Bees in an heirloom poppy.
Domehomedee, I like that Foxtail lily bloom.
HelloMissMary...Wonderful series of shots.
sunkissed...your welcome. The orchid is a terrific find, that's a lot of seashells, and nice catch of the Rosette spoonbill.
1. Gaillardia - 'Arizona Sun'
2. Joseph's Coat Rose
3. Jasmine..this was blooming about 10 feet outside my living room window and when the window was raised it would fill the whole house with it's wonderful scent!
4. Baby Bush Cricket on an Iris bloom.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

seedhead

Thumbnail by jmorth Thumbnail by jmorth
Litchfield Park, AZ

Jmorth, is that love in the mist?
Daily pics friends, I lost you for a little while. Life has been busy but now I have so many beautiful pictures to catch up on this weekend. :-)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

correct vals, love in a mist. Lacy thin green filaments around a magnificent spiked two-toned seed head (practicing descriptive terminology). Self seeds here.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Saw the photos above. Beautiful.
Severe load-shedding is affecting normal routines in our city at this time due to power crisis. As such, time spent on the Net is very less in the last few days. I just manage to squeeze in a few minutes now.

1. A newly emerged Oakblue butterfly. It fell at my feet from a branch of a tree above my pond as I was sipping coffee. Its wings were falling over but stiffened as some minutes elapsed.
2. See the wings and the colour.
3. I kept the butterfly on the petal of the last day lily of the season [from that plant].

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Memphis, TN

DINU - that first one ought to win a blue ribbon!

That's such a gorgeous shot. Look at the eye and that drop of water! That's incredible! Such a beautiful shade of blue as well! My goodness!

Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Some more macros from my garden..

1. Predatory Fungus Gnat....just hangin around sleeping in my tent
2. Darkling Beetle - Alaetrinus minimus
3. Chalcidid Wasps - Trigonura sp.
4. Winged adult Aphid on a Coreopsis bloom

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 8:40 AM

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Dinu, What an amazing experience for you and your lens. Wonderful pictures. Love the blue color of his wings. DG Photo contest winner for sure!!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Marvelous collection of photographs, folks! Really!

Sunkissed, very nice shot of the seashells, and also the Rosette Spoonbill and White Egret!

DWMike, as usual, stunning shots!

Dinu, you outdo yourself every time! Wow!

JMorth, are you taking a creative writing class, or practicing to be a copywriter for a seed catalogue?

From my garden today, another view of a Nigella (Love-in-a-Mist/Persian Jewels) bloom with seed pod. The flowers are also worthy of commentary!
A fly on a gladiolus leaf, this is as "macro" as I can get without cropping.
Monarda "Pink Lace," and yes, they are this color.
Pomegranate flowers.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hippeastrum (pink and white) taken with green and red laser lights at dawn

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks. I was also wondering if anyone know what that 'drop of water' [like honey] is on that butterfly. I'm glad it was noticed. Is that some secretion and evacuation after it emerged from the 'cocoon'.

Mike shows us some beautiful shots, not to mention Jubi!

Denuded roof at the time of dismantling the old mud-brick wall structure.
Shot of the Oakblue I left on the day lily and the blue banded bee wondering whatz up! Another shot of the one I shared in the backlit pictures thread.

Mountain View, HI

just found this thread.

Couldn't resist adding todays Frog and water lilies

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Welcome, microb ... fabulous frog!

Hi Microb!
This is just too funny. I was just thinking this morning as I looked at all these super pictures that I'd like to see more frogs and what do you post . . .

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

microb,
Nice to have you sharing pictures here! Welcome.. Your pond pictures reminded me of my own pond pictures! We have toads and not frogs here. I have a similar w/lily also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.