Photo by Melody

Handyman & Tools: Shower Rod with Stripped Screwheads

Communities > Forums > Handyman & Tools
Forum: Handyman & ToolsReplies: 4, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9142433

Hi, I'm hoping someone can come up with a bright idea of how to remove these stupid screws! The people I bought this house from evidently didn't know alot about putting up shower rods and they've put it too high and too far out (It's one of those curved ones). The length of curtain that I need doesn't exist (even on the internet, if you can imagine that!) and the curtain basically touches the toilet-that's how far out from the tub it is LOL..

Anyway- all of the screws are Phillips screws and 3 out of 4 has the head stripped- seriously! I went and bought one of those nifty little damaged screw extractors, but even my son couldn't get them out. I think these screws are too long-the one I can get out is about 2 1/2 inches long.

So, as I said.. I hope someone has a bright idea for me- I'm bound and determined to get that thing moved one way or another!

thanks :)
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9149863

In the Air Force they say (when attempting to fix something that seems beyond help) to "get a bigger hammer." Meaning, of course, that sometimes you have to go about a job in an unconventional and forceful way. You may need to take a drill to the screw heads, or use a hacksaw, or just pull the bar off the wall and then patch up the holes afterwards. Some things are hard to fix so you just do the best you can and repair the damage afterward. I apologize for not having a better solution.
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9153768

Hey, I've already been contemplating just trying to pull it out :) And a friend of mine mentioned the drill too, so at least I'm getting a few ideas.. thanks!
Missouri City, TX

June 6, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9154248

There is a technique to using the EZ-Out screw extractors. But if the studs that they are attached to are metal, they may be corroded, so they won't back out.

There is another screw extracor system that cuts a hole around the screw. It requires using a dowel to patch (fill) the hole once the screw is out.

You will probably have to destroy the flange on the ends of the shower rod first to get more access to the screws. If you can do that, use a small pair of Vice-Grips to clamp onto the screw and try to back them out. I have a pair of needle-nose Vice-Grip pliers that I treasure for such issues. There are a lot of copy-cat locking pliers, but the original is still MY standard.

Sears (Craftsman) would be a good second brand, but any of the cheap knockoffs won't do.
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9154952

At this point, I figure it'll get destroyed one way or another LOL..

I'll give these a try this weekend.. keep your fingers crossed! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman & Tools Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America