Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Can these Echinacea hybridize together?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9142459

I have Echinacea tennesseensis (sp) in a separate bed by itself. It drops seed every year and I get new sprouts which are true to the mother plant.

Elsewhere in my yard I have Echinacea purpurea cultivars Magnus, Doppledecker, and Prairie Splendor.

This year, the E. tenn. sprouts have varied. Some are true to the mother and some have already grown into what appears to be a possible cross between the other Echinaceas. Is this even possible? There is not any way that the seeds from the other Echies could have gotten into this isolated, raised bed.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 29, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9143022

Yes, at least they are in the same genus, so it's likely possible (however generally speaking, interspecies hybridization is a lot less common than people like to think). So, yes, it could be, assuming you are seeing truly intermediate characteristics between the two species (not just in flower form but in other characteristics as well).

Without knowing more about your seedlings, it's hard to discount that your various named cultivars of E. purpurea may also have seeded out into various somewhat different forms (as only a clone of any of these would be guaranteed to come true) and that the seeds were blown around by the wind. (I think you'd be amazed at how seeds can be blown around and redistributed by the wind - I've had 3 native species show up in my urban yard, where I don't know of any populations nearby, nor does anyone else in the neighborhood grow them, or much of anything else).

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9143083

If you have birds of any sort, it
IS very possible seeds were
"transported" from one spot
to another.

And those seeds could very
well be crosses
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9143506

Hmmm well I had forgotten about that 30 mph wind we had ALL summer long last year. That could very well explain it.

I do see some of the traits of the E. tenn. in the offspring, though. These are taller, with wider leaves, but they have space between the petals, ragged edges on the petals, and the petals are sort of cupped around the center, but not as drastically as the true E. tenn. I will see if I can get pictures.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America